What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

It would have to be a pretty badass study to account for all the differential factors at this point. Basically zero mitigation measures in place anywhere any more. Even defining "vaccinated" could be tricky in a large population. Initial series only? Up to date on all boosters? Somewhere in between? How long ago was last vax received? etc. etc.

this was from end of 2022, where vax rates were "plateauing" and they're currently well below that (as far as being "current" on updated vaccines): https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/why-do-vaccinated-people-represent-most-covid-19-deaths-right-now/

TL;DR: A larger proportion of the population being vaccinated + lower rates of subsequent vaccination (i.e. waning immunity -> less protection -> more severe disease in most vulnerable population) = more "vaccinated" deaths

My guess is that some influencer or grifter has fallen prey to the base rate fallacy and it's making the rounds (again). Just a hunch. I've not seen anything in the news sources I follow.
The study is already done.

The data is out. You just need to find it. The expected deaths are up a lot on people that got vaxxed

I’m guessing expected deaths among those vaccinated is 100%. :grad:
I am coming from a place of concern for you all. Sorry I care and want the best for you all.
Share this data. As someone vaxxed I'd be interested in knowing how ****ed I am.
It comes from the life insurance industry.
Interesting since I'm an actuary in the life insurance industry and never saw this data.

The data is out. You just need to find it. The expected deaths are up a lot on people that got vaxxed
The vaccine isn't even mentioned in that link

That’s what makes it so nefarious.

Just gotta know how to find it

Just gotta know how to find it
Old people got vaccines. Old people died. Therefore old people died because of the vaccine. Viola!

So this only affects kids? Do we know so little because it's China?
Nothing I've dug up thus far indicates that this is anything beyond normal respiratory season fodder. I think media hype mostly. The "white lung" increase does give me a little pause, but I don't think is a cause for concern other than monitoring.

But to the second question, yes. Always yes to that. lol

All that said, my kids' half-brother (around 8yo IIRC) is currently ill with what was diagnosed last week as a viral pneumonia. :tinfoilhat:
Noticed the title here about child pneumonia because people are bumping this with the same tired anti-vaccine arguments. Still nothing to be particularly worried about on this one?

So this only affects kids? Do we know so little because it's China?
Nothing I've dug up thus far indicates that this is anything beyond normal respiratory season fodder. I think media hype mostly. The "white lung" increase does give me a little pause, but I don't think is a cause for concern other than monitoring.

But to the second question, yes. Always yes to that. lol

All that said, my kids' half-brother (around 8yo IIRC) is currently ill with what was diagnosed last week as a viral pneumonia. :tinfoilhat:
Noticed the title here about child pneumonia because people are bumping this with the same tired anti-vaccine arguments. Still nothing to be particularly worried about on this one?
Doesn't seem so. Someone found some articles in British tabloids and wanted to make it into something it's not.

At this point you gotta assume US population has no considerable portion that hasn't had it or shots or some combination of this multiple times over.

I've had COVID 2x and three total shots. If they could get the updated shots out faster for ones that **** you up I'd take more but don't see the point in feeling ****ty for 24hrs for some variant that was around a year ago.

At this point you gotta assume US population has no considerable portion that hasn't had it or shots or some combination of this multiple times over.

I've had COVID 2x and three total shots. If they could get the updated shots out faster for ones that **** you up I'd take more but don't see the point in feeling ****ty for 24hrs for some variant that was around a year ago.
Shots definitely need to be out faster. Our cycle for this vaccine should start in late spring / early summer IMO. As for the reactions, that's kinda on a "per person" basis. It's all about how your body reacts to the proteins.

Might want to go over this again...it's not saying what you want it to.
Maybe you should consider that if I don't understand something, it says whatever I want it to. :grad:

Shots definitely need to be out faster. Our cycle for this vaccine should start in late spring / early summer IMO. As for the reactions, that's kinda on a "per person" basis. It's all about how your body reacts to the proteins.
yep, I've had 0 reactions to the vaccines outside some arm soreness at the injection.

Might want to go over this again...it's not saying what you want it to.
Maybe you should consider that if I don't understand something, it says whatever I want it to. :grad:
touche

yep, I've had 0 reactions to the vaccines outside some arm soreness at the injection.
Same

Last edited:

“Veena Raleigh, a senior fellow at the health think tank the King’s Fund, told The BMJ that there had been large numbers of deaths related to flu and covid-19 in December 2022 and January this year, which was influencing the figures.5 “The 2023 figures to date do not compare well with 2019. Mortality to date is about 5.5% higher than it was for the same period in 2019,” she said.

“With 2023 to date, we haven’t had the bounce back that we might have expected once the worst of the pandemic was over. In the first three quarters of 2023 the mortality rate was higher than in many years in the pre-pandemic decade. If we have a good coming winter things could get back to 2019 levels relatively quickly, but it’s unpredictable.

“We need to remember that covid is still here and infections currently are picking up. Hopefully, we won’t see the sort of deaths we’ve seen before, but, that said, fewer people are getting vaccinated against covid.”

Thank you for the reminder that most people need to get their Flu and Covid vaccines.

“Veena Raleigh, a senior fellow at the health think tank the King’s Fund, told The BMJ that there had been large numbers of deaths related to flu and covid-19 in December 2022 and January this year, which was influencing the figures.5 “The 2023 figures to date do not compare well with 2019. Mortality to date is about 5.5% higher than it was for the same period in 2019,” she said.

“With 2023 to date, we haven’t had the bounce back that we might have expected once the worst of the pandemic was over. In the first three quarters of 2023 the mortality rate was higher than in many years in the pre-pandemic decade. If we have a good coming winter things could get back to 2019 levels relatively quickly, but it’s unpredictable.

“We need to remember that covid is still here and infections currently are picking up. Hopefully, we won’t see the sort of deaths we’ve seen before, but, that said, fewer people are getting vaccinated against covid.”

Thank you for the reminder that most people need to get their Flu and Covid vaccines.
Do what works for you brother. Good luck!

@Doug B check us out, Top of the scale. :wall:

Yeah, around here ... all kinds of people have "the flu". Or "allergies!" if symptoms are light enough to pass them off. Hardly anybody checks -- or wants to know -- whether or not they have COVID.

(Peanut gallery: "Why? What would they do different if they find out it's COVID instead of something else?")

@Doug B check us out, Top of the scale. :wall:

Yeah, around here ... all kinds of people have "the flu". Or "allergies!" if symptoms are light enough to pass them off. Hardly anybody checks -- or wants to know -- whether or not they have COVID.

(Peanut gallery: "Why? What would they do different if they find out it's COVID instead of something else?")
LMAO I literally said that to myself as I was reading this and then read the last line. Good one

I tested positive for Flu A two weeks ago. Then I got a Sinus infection at the end of the Tamiflu. Now we all tested positive for Covid on Christmas Eve and missed all the fun. We are all struggling, but I feel the worst. 😞

I almost didn't buy the tests as it was fifty bucks for the four. So now we have Civid and are down cash. No wonder nobody is testing anymore. My son's buddies are all sick so I suspect that's where we got it from.

Last edited:
I tested positive for Flu A two weeks ago. Then I got a Sinus infection at the end of the Tamiflu. Now we all tested positive for Covid on Christmas Eve and missed all the fun. We are all struggling, but I feel the worst. 😞

I almost didn't buy the tests as it was fifty bucks for the four. So now we have Civid and are down cash. No wonder nobody is testing anymore. My son's buddies are all sick so I suspect that's where we got it from.
Get well soon buddy. Feels like the government is still sending them out if you request them, but doesn't help in the moment.

ETA: good site to follow in general https://www.doctorofcredit.com/orde...-from-covidtests-gov-no-credit-card-required/

7.99 for 1 test at Target, just got one

Mrs. K picked up a very mild case of covid just in time for Christmas. Fortunately, her workplace still hands out tests for free, so we had some on hand. Otherwise she would have just written it off as a cold. We didn't bother with any quarantining and nobody else in the house picked it up. If you're looking for anecdata, my daughter and I both got boosted in the fall, but my wife didn't. I'll chalk that one up as a victory for the booster.

What brand? Tia

What brand? Tia
FlowFlex

What are people's thoughts on things like Carrageenan nose spray to help prevent things like COVID/RSV/Flu? The studies seem promising, but not sure if this is one of those fake news rabbit holes. The idea is that it provides a protective barrier on mucosal surfaces, making it harder for things like viruses and allergens to bind.

Where does this rank on a scale from "This is complete BS like Ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/etc" to "This probably works and is a case of the FDA and medical community just being really slow to adopt something"?

What are people's thoughts on things like Carrageenan nose spray to help prevent things like COVID/RSV/Flu? The studies seem promising, but not sure if this is one of those fake news rabbit holes. The idea is that it provides a protective barrier on mucosal surfaces, making it harder for things like viruses and allergens to bind.

Where does this rank on a scale from "This is complete BS like Ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/etc" to "This probably works and is a case of the FDA and medical community just being really slow to adopt something"?
I was reading somewhere about these nasal spray preventatives this week, but can't remember where. The gist of it though was that the were a few studies that showed mixed results and the "good" studies were in question. Will see if I can find it again and post here.

After Omicron, the likelihood of seeing another new hyper-mutated this soon (in <24 months) was deemed low, about 15-20% by a panel of 10 experts. Now that it has occurred and resulted in a substantial wave of infections, our expectation to see another Omicron-like event should be raised. While it’s likely that the next one will not override all of the immunity to the virus that has built up over the preceding 4 years, it’s clear that both immunity waning and major changes in the virus (within and outside the spike protein) could pose a challenge beyond what has been seen with JN.1
---
We were fortunate with JN.1 that there was evidence of some cross-reactivity for neutralizing antibodies between XBB.1.5 and JN.1 that helped the booster induce some immune response that might otherwise not been anticipated. That’s luck, folks. It may not happen again with the next “updated” booster in 2024 or 2025.

currently the largest number of infections to date, aside from the Omicron mega-wave, thankfully without the similar surge in hospitalizations

be careful out there, GBs

new YLE post, lots of interesting nuggets. Worth a skim

The transmission taking hours of exposure thing is kind of blowing my mind if I'm understanding it correctly. I thought it was like 20 minutes in a room with someone would be enough, now that seems not to be the case?

The transmission taking hours of exposure thing is kind of blowing my mind if I'm understanding it correctly. I thought it was like 20 minutes in a room with someone would be enough, now that seems not to be the case?
IDK, this is kind of how I've treated it the whole time... from her post: Transmission = time x proximity. This may help your risk calculations. Quick passersby at a grocery store are far less risky than staying in a house with someone infected.
It's about keeping a low viral load if you get exposed. Masks, good ventilation, being outdoors, etc. all help that cause in addition to the length of exposure.

IDK, this is kind of how I've treated it the whole time... from her post: Transmission = time x proximity. This may help your risk calculations. Quick passersby at a grocery store are far less risky than staying in a house with someone infected.
It's about keeping a low viral load if you get exposed. Masks, good ventilation, being outdoors, etc. all help that cause in addition to the length of exposure.
I get all of that but this is the first I'm hearing of it potentially taking hours to days to really have an exposure risk. I couldn't tell from a quick look at the study. Does the "hours to days" thing assume you're masked? Does it assume the infected person is symptomatic and shedding like crazy? Indoors? Outdoors?

This does sort of explain why so many people I know who take isolation measures end up not getting it when someone else in their household does.

I get all of that but this is the first I'm hearing of it potentially taking hours to days to really have an exposure risk. I couldn't tell from a quick look at the study. Does the "hours to days" thing assume you're masked? Does it assume the infected person is symptomatic and shedding like crazy? Indoors? Outdoors?

This does sort of explain why so many people I know who take isolation measures end up not getting it when someone else in their household does.
skimmed the study, but looks like it was just analyzing proximity and length of exposure via contact tracing apps (in the UK), no mention of other measures. Either the apps weren't tracking that or they just didn't parse that out in the study:
Longer exposures at greater distances had similar risk to shorter exposures at closer distances. The probability of transmission confirmed by a reported positive test increased initially linearly with duration of exposure (1.1% per hour) and continued increasing over several days. While most exposures were short (median 0.7 hours, IQR 0.4-1.6), transmissions typically resulted from exposures lasting one hour to several days (median 6 hours, IQR 1.4-28). Households accounted for about 6% of contacts but 40% of transmissions.

Thought I was gonna die yesterday. Fainted a couple of times, dry heaving, dizzy and out of it. The ambulance dudes picked me off the bricks outside, and rushed me in to the hospital. My kids were watching and horrified. I had Flu A, sinus infections, and Covid in December. I have a NASTY sinus infection now, and had gone to see my doctor yesterday afternoon for an antibiotic. Somehow I tested positive for Covid again this morning at the hospital, and positive for some other cold thing I am forgetting. EKG, heart exam with the gel, lung x-ray, and white bloods were all good fwiw.

Last night I took antibiotics, safe cold syrup, nasocourt, and like 20 Musinex cough drops. After the ER Dr talked to poison control, she said in addition to having Covid again, I OD'd on COUGH DROPS ffs! She said it different,
but basically that. Apparently they are not really cough drops, and over 12 eaten in 24 hours can cause issues. I was treating them like Halls, as they are next to them at the store and packaged and priced the same. Home now, feeling a bit better (coughing like a mofo and dizzy), but what a horrible month! Just wanted to tell everyone in case I go to heaven or something before baseball list is due.

Thought I was gonna die yesterday. Fainted a couple of times, dry heaving, dizzy and out of it. The ambulance dudes picked me off the bricks outside, and rushed me in to the hospital. My kids were watching and horrified. I had Flu A, sinus infections, and Covid in December. I have a NASTY sinus infection now, and had gone to see my doctor yesterday afternoon for an antibiotic. Somehow I tested positive for Covid again this morning at the hospital, and positive for some other cold thing I am forgetting. EKG, heart exam with the gel, lung x-ray, and white bloods were all good fwiw.

Last night I took antibiotics, safe cold syrup, nasocourt, and like 20 Musinex cough drops. After the ER Dr talked to poison control, she said in addition to having Covid again, I OD'd on COUGH DROPS ffs! She said it different,
but basically that. Apparently they are not really cough drops, and over 12 eaten in 24 hours can cause issues. I was treating them like Halls, as they are next to them at the store and packaged and priced the same. Home now, feeling a bit better (coughing like a mofo and dizzy), but what a horrible month! Just wanted to tell everyone in case I go to heaven or something before baseball list is due.
Damn! Sorry to hear GB. Just looked up those cough drops and yeah they have actual medicine in them (the same med that's in anything with DM in the name). Although it's a small dose in the cough drops, obviously you had quite a few of them. That's crazy. Glad you're OK.

After reading I just realized i may have had covid? But never tested.

THought I had a head cold for 4 days. No fever. Just tired and sinus pressure. Cleared up and never had any colored mucus.

sorry if I gave it to someone out and about....

After reading I just realized i may have had covid? But never tested.

THought I had a head cold for 4 days. No fever. Just tired and sinus pressure. Cleared up and never had any colored mucus.

sorry if I gave it to someone out and about....
I wonder how many people I gave it to w/o realizing. My whole family had it at Christmas, and now my daughter just went back to Dr for third time in a month to do more tests. Crazy

Last edited:

Very much appreciate multiple studies bearing this out:

Vaccines are safe. The rate and cause of sudden cardiac death in young people was not due to vaccines during the pandemic. One study even included autopsy investigations.

Feel better brother!

One thing I tell my wife a lot about COVID is that "COVID is not magic". It has to overcome physical constraints to infect people, enough so that unqualified "exposure" is not enough to make a call one way or the other as to whether a person will come down with (symptomatic) COVID.

Last week, one of the senior citizens at her work went to the doctor with sinus symptoms. She was told "Yep, sinus!" and sent home. A few days later (Thursday, Janaury 4th), she attended a social event at my wife's center and had a slip-&-fall accident. The lady went to the doctor for the fall and was tested for COVID as a matter of course. Though having very mild symptoms, she tested positive for COVID.

Two days ago, on the 10th, the same lady returned to the center, masked. She gifted my wife a pair of gloves wrapped in a plastic bag. My wife was concerned that she could catch COVID from the gloves. In 2020 ... yeah, that was a chancy thing back when we knew a lot less. Nowadays? Meh, unwrap the gloves, WASH YOUR OWN HADS, and put the gloves on in good health.

I mean, the lady would have had to have taken the plastic bag with the gloves in it and huffed into it forever to build up any kind of viral load. Just ordinary handling of the gloves by someone well on the downside of their COVID infection ... nothing to worry about. Leave them sit for a few days, maybe -- why not? But beyond that, it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread