What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

I am thinking about the incubation period.  You cannot simultaneously believe "I had symptoms of coronavirus in February" and "Nobody showed up in hospitals until now" unless you think you're a unicorn.  
New report that many people that had it had digestive symptoms only, so doctors didn't know what to look for. There just wasn't any testing.  To say people that thought they had it in February didn't, with any measure of certainty, is just wrong.

New report that many people that had it had digestive symptoms only, so doctors didn't know what to look for. There just wasn't any testing.  To say people that thought they had it in February didn't, with any measure of certainty, is just wrong.
If these people had active symptoms, 20% of them would have been in hospitals in that general timeframe.  Stop it with this.  It is not helpful.

That's what we're supposed to be doing, but there were a lot of unessential businesses making people go to work.   

There are also idiots not observing social distancing and even encouraging it.
Again, I don’t see how, in this country, you can regulate idiocy.

Just based on my observations in my community, social distancing is being followed by most. If it’s not working at current levels, then we’re all doomed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html  Posting this again.  2 weeks of stay at home is doable, maybe.  At some point we have to go back to work and not just settle into the Great Depression 2.0 and trust Big Brother to pay us out of this mess (cause this time, he can't).  

From the column:

"I am not a medical expert. I’m just a reporter — who is afraid for his own loved ones, for his neighbors and for people everywhere as much as anyone. I share these ideas not because I know they are the magic cure, or have every variable thought through (and I welcome readers to express their doubts in the comments section). I share them because I am certain that we need to broaden the debate — I am certain that we need less herd mentality and more herd immunity — as we come to terms with our hellish choice:

Either we let many of us get the coronavirus, recover and get back to work — while doing our utmost to protect those most vulnerable to being killed by it. Or, we shut down for months to try to save everyone everywhere from this virus — no matter their risk profile — and kill many people by other means, kill our economy and maybe kill our future."
Less herd mentality, huh?

For anyone listening to or following Trump right now, realize there is a very real chance he's going to get you killed. There's 100% certainty that his words are going to kill some people...I truly hope none of you fall in this group out of sheer luck. 

eta: I'd happily sign up for 4 more years of Trump if he would switch course immediately, warn people how serious it is, lock #### down, and get our healthcare professionals everything they need. Not even a question. 
He'll take credit for it once everywhere has what they need. For me, too late. I'll never foget his poo pooing of the severity and Fauci having to try and reverse what stupid thing he has said. Stupid won't end when this crisis is over. I want a real leader next 4 year round. 

It’s probably a sign of obsession but I wish Worldometer would update the Italy graphs and barcharts already. They had some promising data today and I’d like to see the trends visually. They did a text update but not the charts. Sure I could hand calculate it. I probably need to go on Xanax lol.

On the most recent Freakonomics podcast, they had an economist who estimated China’s temporary efforts to reduce air pollution before their Olympics saved 50,000 lives. 
Listened to it while mowing my lawn this past weekend.  Very interesting stuff.

Part of Inslee’s talk mentioned that our school district will have teachers provide daycare for first responders.  

Are other states doing this?  (This is in WA)

It’s both heroic and scary for me personally.  My wife has a weakened immune system and I’m having her get documentation to the district so she can do something “lower” risk to help.  She has mixed feelings but I think I have her convinced now. 

Interesting shift from the WH today with their press briefing.  Instead of midday...the move to early evening gave it a different feel.  Also, while I know Fauci missed a couple of these last week, his absence  felt a bit more ominous today what with Trump’s pivoting back to the economy.  I’ll be paying attention to how often he’s at these moving forward, but I’m getting the sense that Trump is going all in on this hydroxychloroquine treatment to fix all which Fauci is certainly not as bullish.  If Fauci is off-message from Trump’s POV, that could make him obsolete...the need to educate the US citizenry about COVID-19 is likely quite a bit less than previously to Trump when the news cycle took off with this 2 weeks ago.

LA traffic down 87%.   That's huge.
traffic in the awesome canyon by my house, up 200%   :hot:    selfish of me, but that's MY canyon!   :lmao:   drinking now.  all is well.  Elysian. it's a beer made up by you.  i'm sure you know that   :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now felony citations are on the table for businesses not complying under the unfair business  practices. Police are monitoring and now we have an 800 number to call as well.

SF Mayor

Playgounds are now closed. Threatens parks and other open spaces where people are congregating will shut down if people don't comply with social distancing.

Hayward CA

Drive through testing for everyone with a temp over 100 degrees minimum. 

Part of Inslee’s talk mentioned that our school district will have teachers provide daycare for first responders.  

It’s both heroic and scary for me personally.  My wife has a weakened immune system and I’m having her get documentation to the district so she can do something “lower” risk to help.  She has mixed feelings but I think I have her convinced now. 
I know some daycares in IL are staying open and doing this for first responders. Haven't heard about schools but wouldn't be surprised if it's not already happening.

Our early childhood education program at the school district is offering free childcare for any child under the age of 12 for any first responder, medical personnel and even grocery store clerks. Not sure if they are using regular district teachers or just the early childhood staff but I think this is a really smart thing to do of course only if the staff is healthy.

Maybe people don't trust corporations to not lay off workers, pay executives, and use money for things like stock buybacks.   Paying workers directly prevents foreclosures and allows for consumer spending.   
And since Congress plan on going home after a deal is reached, smart to get these provisions in place now so workers won't be sol once this is over.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/19 - 164,646 reported cases - 6,800 dead - USA 14,299 cases - 218 dead

3/20 - 194,589 reported cases - 8,126 dead - USA 19,383 cases - 256 dead

3/21 - 225,885 reported cases - 9,771 dead - USA 26,112 cases - 325 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/23 - 297,299 reported cases - 13,221 dead - USA 43,449 cases - 545 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Haven't been able to follow much that's happening today, but in these overall numbers, we still are showing no signs of slowing down.
We probably won't see a slow down for at least a week if we say we got serious a week ago about social distancing and two weeks if we say it started this weekend.  

Exact wording for our school district here in WA.  There’s no info about who is staffing this.   Due to thread rules, I can’t cite my source   

https://www.puyallup.k12.wa.us/news/what_s_new/covid

As of Monday March 23rd, we will be providing Monday through Friday meal service for all children 0-18 from 11:00 to 12:00 at each of our 22 elementary schools.  We are also launching childcare service for medical workers and first responders Monday through Friday from 8:00-4:00 at all elementary schools beginning March 23rd.  

Interesting shift from the WH today with their press briefing.  Instead of midday...the move to early evening gave it a different feel.  Also, while I know Fauci missed a couple of these last week, his absence  felt a bit more ominous today what with Trump’s pivoting back to the economy.  I’ll be paying attention to how often he’s at these moving forward, but I’m getting the sense that Trump is going all in on this hydroxychloroquine treatment to fix all which Fauci is certainly not as bullish.  If Fauci is off-message from Trump’s POV, that could make him obsolete...the need to educate the US citizenry about COVID-19 is likely quite a bit less than previously to Trump when the news cycle took off with this 2 weeks ago.
2 things.....1, obey leader.  2, don’t for a second think that these pressers at 6p are not to preempt local and national news reports.  There is an election coming soon.

@Ministry of Pain arguing medical data/science with @Terminalxylem in here is good comedy, given the former's infamous math skills (Or lack thereof), and the latter's well established technical proficiency on this topic. 
Who are you trying to impress?

You like to tear me down for teaching inner city minorities in Miami 10 years ago after graduating from the University of Miami...where do you hold degrees from since you are so interested and jealous of my posts? I was in the Shark Pool all season if you needed attention...I notice you and others don't challenge my math much over there, hmmm wonder why? That's rhetorical in case you didn't catch it.  :whistle:

My favorite about these press conferences is how they all stand next to each other, to get in TV camera lines of sight, all the while telling the nation to make sure and keep their distance from each other.  Hello, there are 5 of you within a 10 x 4 foot box right now.

Forget the blonde doctor's name but she was motioning that admiral away to not stand so close to her.
Respectfully disagree.  She was fine being next to him the first part of the conference.  The motioning part came later, to keep him from blocking the chart they were addressing.

The conferences are constantly taking place with them in close quarters, no question.

Not true. The study said it was rare. The study was also based on patients that were admitted to the hospital.

Lack of appetite was also the predominate "digestive symptom" recorded, which is kind of an odd thing to group in there. 

Not really though.  Think about it, we need food, right?  So just the grocery stores?

Well, what about the companies that make and package the food?  The businesses that make and service the equipment used to make food and packaging would be necessary.  Well, those businesses need parts to make and service the machines.  And those companies need the raw materials and outside services to make the components.  And each and every one of those companies need payroll support, and IT support, janitorial support, and a whole slew of things that you probably wouldn't even have thought of.  

Now think about everything else associated with a grocery store.  The delivery and distribution, logistics, infrastructure, IT support, utilities supply, fincancial, etc.  Each of those things would have levels upon levels of supporting businesses.

And that's just food.  Think about hospitals, medical equipment manufacturers, gas stations, hardware stores (for emergencies).  Think about all of the supporting businesses that they rely on.  

The economy is really much more intertwined than people realize.
Great post 

same reason it’s not easy for companies to start making respirators or even simpler things from scratch 

do the have a machine to run if?  The right stamping or molding tool

supply chain of raw materials

trained personnel?

quality control

testing

etc

Some info for the "I think I had this a few months ago" crowd, because this was already something I was curious about. Asked a local doc friend about their testing. (So of course, it could be different in different places, clinics, etc.) What I really wanted to know was how common it was for something to come back that wasn't identified on their respiratory screening test, which included (prior to Covid-19) several strains of influenza, pneumonia, and several (if not all) of the prior known strains of the coronavirus family, among other things.  I was told that, prior to all this, they rarely tested for anything other than the flu, because the test that checks for everything else is expensive AND most insurances don't cover it.  So, prior to this event at least, if other clinics operate in that same manner and you tested negative for the flu, you were probably told "it's just a virus." If that was in the last several months, it may or may not have been Covid-19. :tinfoilhat:  

Now felony citations are on the table for businesses not complying under the unfair business  practices. Police are monitoring and now we have an 800 number to call as well.

SF Mayor

Playgounds are now closed. Threatens parks and other open spaces where people are congregating will shut down if people don't comply with social distancing.

Hayward CA

Drive through testing for everyone with a temp over 100 degrees minimum. 
Feel free to steal a house or poop in the street, but we draw the line at charging too much for bleach! 

I said that Donald keeps talking about opening everything back up, and then I said besides bars and restaurants and construction sites everything is opened up to my knowledge, from what I’m seeing.

I’m not criticizing him , the Republicans the Democrats or anybody, I just don’t understand what he is saying. What are we going to “open up”?
Not to equate it to anything going on in everyone else's localities, but the current mandates have the entire Las Vegas Strip shut down and it's killing half the city. And it's the half of the city that can't afford it. I imagine it's hurting a lot of people in places like Orlando as well. Aside from that, there are many small businesses throughout the nation that aren't allowed to open their doors and earn a living right now. And basically anyone in the travel and hospitality industry is shut down right now.

that's 3-4 days old.  we can get mixed drinks to go.
Local brewery that’s doing curbside growler sales said that a customer bought one and immediately poured into a coffee cup and drove off. Alcohol laws don’t seem to apply anymore. Another brewery was doing to-go drinks in mason jars.

I'm seeing a lot of posts here and in my social media feeds along the lines of "I think I had coronavirus back in February and I just didn't realize it at the time."  No you didn't.  Or at least it is vanishingly unlikely that you did. 

If we know anything about this virus, it is that it it causes very severe symptoms in about 20% of patients that requires hospitalization.  If C-19 was widely circulating in February, our hospitals would have been overwhelmed by an illness that was causing non-flu viral pneumonia and putting a bunch of people on ventilators.  Nobody would have missed this, especially since the exact same outbreak was occurring in spades in China.  

In order to believe that you got covid-19 in February, you need to believe that this virus was circulating without detection despite worldwide media coverage and that you were in the extremely tiny group of folks who got this in the super-early stages before it even registered on the health care system, which we know it does very rapidly.  In Bayesian terms, that is so incredibly unlikely as to be dismissed out of hand.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you thought you had the common cold or a mild case of the flu a month ago, it was about 99% the common cold or a mild case of the flu, both of which are super-common during that time of the year.  Specifically, you do not have C-19 antibodies and you should not behave as if you did.

Edit: At some point, some of you will undoubtedly test anti-body positive once such a test exists.  That will be because you caught the virus in the meantime and were asymptomatic.  Which is the case for 30% or so of the people who get this. That's way more likely that the "I got this before millions of others" scenario. 
:goodposting:   The chances of anyone having the virus in February is very low unless you were in China or had contact with someone in China.  

Also, asymptomatic cases are pretty rare.  WHO report indicates they looked for them and were not able to find many in China.  Reports out of Italy are asymptomatic cases are less than 5% and they believe some of that is because symptoms have not arrived yet. 

If these people had active symptoms, 20% of them would have been in hospitals in that general timeframe.  Stop it with this.  It is not helpful.
Your refusal to accept fact isn’t helpful.  Head of our department of health last week said it was more likely than not that we had at least 100,000-150,000 undiagnosed cases in Washington.  It was here in January.  Claiming it wasn’t is just denial.

No I'm not.  These are people are are saying "I had common cold symptoms back in February."  That eliminates any consideration of incubation periods.
No. You said it would have already run through and overrun hospitals. It wouldn’t have if the incubation period is longer than what we know.  My advice is to not ignore data points even if they don’t fit your current perspective. 

Users who are viewing this thread