What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

Personally I doubt his study.    The NY infection rate is probably way higher than that.   
Really?  14% of the population infected in like 3 months when the state has been closed down for half that time?  Infection rate seems out of this world if true.  

Personally I doubt his study.    The NY infection rate is probably way higher than that.   
Cuomo himself said they were likely higher because the studies were done during a time of day when essential health care workers were likely working as well as people currently sick were isolated at home. 

Cuomo himself said they were likely higher because the studies were done during a time of day when essential health care workers were likely working as well as people currently sick were isolated at home. 
Yeah, I'd agree with him.     This stuff spreads crazy aggressively, and I don't see any way they are going to contain this long term.     Especially if it can hop to animals, like the 2 cats that tested positive, and mostly likely right back to humans.  

Plus it mutates aggressively based on what we've been told.    So it's likely that any antibody protection might only be temporary and we'll be getting hit with new strains in 2030, 2040...   

People are just gonna have to go out and face the corona... sooner or later.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Good reminder of why I don't typically interact with the homeless.
Kinda strange none of them showed any symptoms too, I'd figure the average homeless person is in below average health.     But maybe the ones that survive a while a fairly hardened and can take a lot.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Kinda strange none of them showed any symptoms too, I'd figure the average homeless person is in below average health.     But maybe the ones that survive a while a fairly hardened and can take a lot.
That does seem odd.  Maybe they've been exposed to other coronaviruses before.  The homeless are probably exposed to pretty much everything.   Or maybe cheap bottles of whiskey and vodka really do kill the virus.

• Laughing
Reactions: DrJ
People are just gonna have to go out and face the corona... sooner or later.    
Given I'm not 100% confident we will ever develop a vaccine, I agree with this, as herd immunity is the only other exit plan.

But I'm choosing "later", given treatments will be better later than they are now. 

All you fools campaigning to end the lock down now can be the Sooners. 

Given I'm not 100% confident we will ever develop a vaccine, I agree with this, as herd immunity is the only other exit plan.

But I'm choosing "later", given treatments will be better later than they are now. 

Yeah for me I'm a semi sooner....   my job allows me to easily work from home and I'll protest some if they make me start going back in since I didn't want to before all of this.     And we will continue limiting our contact while we are probably in a high risk group for exposure with my daughter working - for the benefit of others.     We did hire a guy to do some work around the house though because he was looking for work and we were looking to blow a stimulus check helping people work....    so kind of a middle ground.   

• Thanks
This thread last 100 pages

• Arguing about statistics
  • Arguing about governmental policy
  • Links to a study
  • Wondering if you got "it" before everyone else
  • Occasional real life story that still makes it worth reading
I have to admit, this thread was extremely valuable to me.  I was in early with you guys, got supplies before the world went crazy, and have generally understood everything that's been going on due to the overall knowledge this thread has given me.  Tons of really intelligent people post here.  I am grateful.  Grateful for this thread, and grateful for this board.  But damn, it's getting difficult to keep reading.

God bless all of you, praying for physical health for your families and financial health for our country.  Both are worth fighting for........

#yogapantsmatter

It's easy to say for someone who can work from home

@-fish-'s request to you was "Would you mind talking to her  children to tell them her risk of death is almost 0?" (see the bolded above).

As someone in her late 30's who has been hospitalized by COVID-19, her chances of dying are NOT near zero. Near zero is the chances of dying of ALL 30's who have tested positive.

Again, we can ignore 96.6% of all 30's who have tested positive to calculate her current risk of death. Take the risk of death for all 30's who have tested positive and divide it by 0.034.

Having been hospitalized by the virus, she currently has around a 3% chance of dying from it. Her kids should be worried. It's not extremely improbable that she could die (it's 3%). Nor was it extremely improbably that she got hospitalized by it (it was 3.4%). And unless we develop a vaccine, 70% or more of the population has to get it in order for us to exit this crisis (herd immunity). 
Actually, near zero includes all near 30s who haven’t tested positive as well.  Once you are limiting it to those infected, it is significantly higher.  This is more cherry picking.

• Smile
Actually, near zero includes all near 30s who haven’t tested positive as well.  Once you are limiting it to those infected, it is significantly higher.  This is more cherry picking.
Any figure that revolves around "tested" is cherry picking.    When you expand those to infected, it's significantly lower, since there's a massive number of people infected that have never been identified.

From what I understand the testing guidelines, especially when tests were more sparse (they're still sparse), was something like "only test this person for covid if knowing they had covid would alter their treatment.     And if someone dies and they had covid symptoms we'll test them too".      So obviously you're gonna end up with heavily bloated mortality rates using those guidelines.

Hard to say we got lucky, but a virus this infectious that also spreads asymptotically, but which is much deadlier would have welded right through us.
What's worse is that our ridiculous overreaction to this one is actually going to cause more people to ignore that one.... kind of like how a bunch of people stick around during the mother of all hurricanes because everyone told them the 5 before that were gonna be the mother of all hurricanes and nothing happened.

It’s universally contagious and nearly 10x deadlier than the flu. The only reason it won’t kill nearly 2 million people is because 95% of the population is on lockdown. Understood that we’re all looking for good news, but it isn’t really good news. Our way of life has fundamentally changed in fewer than 3-4 months and it may never be the same again. Wake up to what’s happening. 

It’s universally contagious and nearly 10x deadlier than the flu. The only reason it won’t kill nearly 2 million people is because 95% of the population is on lockdown. Understood that we’re all looking for good news, but it isn’t really good news. Our way of life has fundamentally changed in fewer than 3-4 months and it may never be the same again. Wake up to what’s happening. 
Nah, even if everyone in the country got it it would still be hard pressed to hit 2 million because it's simply not that dangerous.

What's worse is that our ridiculous overreaction to this one is actually going to cause more people to ignore that one.... kind of like how a bunch of people stick around during the mother of all hurricanes because everyone told them the 5 before that were gonna be the mother of all hurricanes and nothing happened.
Enough with the "ridiculous overreaction".

It's not just our country that instituted a lockdown.  The entire globe has.  Cases and deaths rose exponentially until areas imposed lockdowns.  If not for those efforts that were called for by experts everywhere in near unison, we'd be in a catastrophic territory right now.

What expertise do you have to declare this a ridiculous overreaction when those whose lives and jobs are spent on trying to figure out solutions for diseases such as this collectively say otherwise?

It's not just our country that instituted a lockdown.  The entire globe has.  Cases and deaths rose exponentially until areas imposed lockdowns.  If not for those efforts that were called for by experts everywhere in near unison, we'd be in a catastrophic territory right now.

What expertise do you have to declare this a ridiculous overreaction when those whose lives and jobs are spent on trying to figure out solutions for diseases such as this collectively say otherwise?
There's plenty of doctors that say this was a ridiculous overreaction.     This one was written by a radiologist.     https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation?fbclid=IwAR0v3YF87K-upxDjJUNqte9KKrebXsHh3Mas7MxW_4o1Gazkj2AK-XWILKc

Stop acting like there's universal agreement.      A bunch of smart, educated people think most of you are lunatics.   I'm one of them.

Do you not see his name?!?!?

There's plenty of doctors that say this was a ridiculous overreaction.     This one was written by a radiologist.     https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation?fbclid=IwAR0v3YF87K-upxDjJUNqte9KKrebXsHh3Mas7MxW_4o1Gazkj2AK-XWILKc

Stop acting like there's universal agreement.      A bunch of smart, educated people think most of you are lunatics.   I'm one of them.
A radiologist?  :lmao:

There's about as much consensus on this as there are for vaccinations amongst doctors.  No, there aren't "plenty of doctors" that say this was a ridiculous overreaction.  There might be some, but what you are saying is simply and utterly not true. 

Again, what are your qualifications for making this statement?  It is pure nonsense.

A radiologist?  :lmao:

There's about as much consensus on this as there are for vaccinations amongst doctors.  No, there aren't "plenty of doctors" that say this was a ridiculous overreaction.  There might be some, but what you are saying it simply and utterly not true. 

Again, what are your qualifications for making this statement?  It is pure nonsense.
Yes, a radiologist.   A guy that went to medical school far longer than you, I'm sure.      And there are plenty of others...the guy that shared the article with me was also a radiologist for example.   

And one only needs a small measure of common sense to see through the crap you guys are spewing.

And, to clarify, for your reading comprehension:  That physician is calling for not CONTINUING a complete lockdown but instead finding a stepwise approach to get back to normal.  He says NOTHING about the initial response to the pandemic being a ridiculous overreaction.

So once again, stop posting falsehoods.  The WHO, CDC, AMA, and every other medicine board across this country (and across the world) with full support called for this lockdown.  Physicians are still lobbying politicians to not open up too early.

For the last two weeks, America has been losing on average over 2,000 people a day to this virus while conducting a "ridiculous overreaction".  I can't imagine how many more Americans would be dead without this reaction.  I think it was totally appropriate and just wish it had started sooner. 

Just saw on TV that nearly 1/4 of the COVID deaths in the US are in nursing homes.  I did not realize they had been that hard hit.  Here in CA I know there are a few that have had outbreaks but 1/4 of all the deaths is surprising. 

You know the virus isn't going to take a night off, but maybe we all should.

Enjoy the NFL draft--drink a few (I have have 3 beers already). I am taking my risk and getting a non-contact pizza delivery. 

Just all stay safe!! 
Good idea, done for night after seeing some of the posts in this thread. Everyone needs a break. 

2 million out of 327 million is 0.6%

New York City will pass 0.2% of their entire population tomorrow. 
Also, this German study has it at about .4% - https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/

The California studies put it well below that as well:   https://reason.com/2020/04/21/if-covid-19-has-a-low-infection-fatality-rate-how-many-will-die/

So even if 100% of people got it (which probably wouldn't happen), it's still gonna be hard pressed to hit 2 million, like I said.     And from what I've been reading the fatality rates tend to be higher where there's heavy pollution.    https://www.sciencealert.com/two-new-studies-provides-evidence-that-air-pollution-is-increasing-risk-of-death-from-coronavirus     So New Yorkers not having any clean air to breathe could push their numbers up.   

Weather factor gains more steam in today's national briefing.

*Note this is not an endorsement or a drawn conclusion. Just a statement to the fact it's now entered the national conversation in a more wide scale manner.
FWIW...it's been all the rage here in Florida from the beginning.  People seem to believe if we get to summer it's going to magically disappear.  This is all anecdotal and specific to Florida of course.  Don't know what local yokels are saying elsewhere.

FWIW...it's been all the rage here in Florida from the beginning.  People seem to believe if we get to summer it's going to magically disappear.  This is all anecdotal and specific to Florida of course.  Don't know what local yokels are saying elsewhere.
In all fairness tons of people think it will just disappear if we stay in our houses long enough. Well except to get takeout and run to lowes and get groceries 3 times a week. And hang out with friends and have our parents over for easter. 

Here's some of the numbers:

On nonporous surfaces like stainless steel, the virus takes 18 hours to lose half its strength in a dark, low-humidity environment, Bryan said.

In a high-humidity environment, that half-life dropped to six hours, and when the virus was exposed to high humidity and sunlight, the half-life dropped to two minutes, he said.

Researchers found a similar effect with the coronavirus that was suspended in the air - simulating the coughing or sneezing that often spreads the disease. In a dark room, the virus maintained half its strength for an hour. But when exposed to sunlight, it lost half its strength in 90 seconds, Bryan said.

jobarules said:
Keep in mind your models had us at 24000 deaths a day by now and that was AFTER we started mitigation. Maybe you shouldn't always insist on the math all the time. There's so much we don't know still. 
That was NOT after mitigation. I never made any projection that INCLUDED mitigation as mitigation is a HUGE unknown variable. 

Users who are viewing this thread