What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

Coronavirus patients who don’t have any symptoms aren’t driving  the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the virus could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections. 

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Coronavirus patients who don’t have any symptoms aren’t driving  the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the virus could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections. 

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”
Was just reading this article. It seems like a very important development. Makes the virus A LOT easier to contain.

Yup.  As @culdeus said above, if you are over 65, sucks to be you.  But people under 65 are gonna live their lives, and there is no reason they should adhere to any rules.  This virus is as deadly to them as the common flu, so why should they act any different?  Seems like the only people who need to change the way they act are seniors.  It's their job to avoid everyone else - not the other way around.
Oof

Does anyone have confidence in the WHO at this point?  

I suppose my biggest fear is what happens when this coincides with the flu. They have similar enough symptoms, so parsing out who has what, without a huge uptick in testing, is going to be a problem. Are we going to tell anyone with flu like symptoms to self quarantine for 14 days? Or are we hoping that testing has ramped up enough that it won't be an issue?

I suppose my biggest fear is what happens when this coincides with the flu. They have similar enough symptoms, so parsing out who has what, without a huge uptick in testing, is going to be a problem. Are we going to tell anyone with flu like symptoms to self quarantine for 14 days? Or are we hoping that testing has ramped up enough that it won't be an issue?
Sure, why not?

This would be good news and a very good reason to wear masks.

When inside grocery stores, sure.  But inside schools?  No way.  If you are old as dirt, get out!  Inside a nightclub?  You have no reason to be there.  Old people need to do their grocery shopping in the early hours, then hunker down for the rest of the day.  That way everyone else can live their lives.
How does this plan limit hospitalization rates?

Anybody who wants a test can get tested right now. Not sure why testing has to be ramped up to achieve that goal. 

That’s a problem for people who work hourly jobs 
So is being quarantined for 3 months.   There is no good answer.  So either you error on the safe side or you accept the risk.  Not sure most people are willing to take the risk.

China tested for fever and discounted asymptomatic spread...in February.  
Scripps Research Translational Institute published a study that found differently 5 days ago.

In a study published June 3 in the Annals of Internal Medicine, researchers at the Scripps Research Translational Institute reviewed data from 16 different groups of COVID-19 patients from around the world to get a better idea of how many cases of coronavirus can likely be traced to people who spread the virus without ever knowing they were infected. Their conclusion: at minimum, 30%, and more likely 40% to 45%.
Link

We should have enough flu test to check that at least.

Scripps Research Translational Institute published a study that found differently 5 days ago.

Link
That's funny I just saw that tweet.  Who knows at this point, this is a huge cluster!  The one thing I'm hoping is that they are all wrong about hot weather and that the heat will severely limit the spread.

Such so-called asymptomatic spread is unique for a respiratory virus; most cause symptoms and disease once they infect their hosts. SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for COVID-19, is, however, particularly wily because it can also infect hosts silently and use them as unwitting pawns in its infectious campaign. “The range we found is extraordinarily high,” says Dr. Eric Topol, director and founder of the Institute and one of the authors of the paper. “That means the range of what can happen with SARS-CoV-2 is from no symptoms to [death]. That’s not at all similar to any virus or pathogen we’ve experienced that has killing potential in the past. What we have here is an extraordinary spectrum, including this quiet, stealth mode of infecting somebody.”

Topol and his co-author, Daniel Oran, searched for published and unpublished studies that included asymptomatic people and focused on 16 different groups of people screened or tested for COVID-19 around the world. Among others, these included a cohort of more than 13,000 people in Iceland who volunteered to be tested for COVID-19 (the largest group included), as well as residents of Vo, Italy; passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship where an outbreak occurred; visitors to homeless shelters in Boston and Los Angeles; prison inmates; college students; and nursing home residents in King County, WA.

Five of these studies included follow up testing of the participants; they showed that only a small fraction of people who were asymptomatic when they tested positive the first time then went on to develop symptoms. That allowed the researchers to distinguish between people who are pre-symptomatic—those who test positive but eventually go on to develop symptoms—and those who are truly asymptomatic, and test positive for COVID-19 but never develop obvious symptoms. Among the more than 2300 people sampled in the Vo population, none of the 41% who had no symptoms when they tested positive ever developed symptoms over a 14 day period.

That wouldn’t be worrisome if it weren’t for other research beginning to show that levels of virus in people who are asymptomatic are similar to those among people who develop symptoms. That suggests that while they may not be outwardly showing any signs of illness, asymptomatic people are still carrying a potentially dangerous burden of infectious virus that they can spread to others.
Link

Yeah im calling BS here
Based on what?  To get a test here, you need an order from your PHP.  They aren’t ordering tests of you aren’t symptomatic or exposed to someone that has tested positive.  So no test for me, or most of the people in my state.

Again this sounds like anecdotal bs to prove some kind of point

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/testsites.html

Unless the Minnesota health department is lying
Are you not reading your own link?

Who can receive this testing?

People who have participated in or were nearby any large gatherings including but not limited to protests, civil unrest events, community clean up and recovery efforts, vigils, neighborhood defense meetings.

The case fatality rate is leveling off somewhere between 5-6% in the US. CFR for the world is a little higher, but converging to roughly the same range - there’s probably a reason for that. The most commonly cited CFR for the 1918 flu pandemic is 2.5%, though some have argued it may have been as high as 10%.

There are not a lot of groundbreaking treatments. Prone oxygen delivery seems to decrease the risk of mechanical ventilation, though randomized control studies are ongoing. Remdesivir improves recovery time by up to 4 days in a subset of patients. Convalescent plasma therapy is being promoted, despite an absence of good data. Some ICU docs are putting patients on blood thinners, based largely on a better understanding of the pathophysiology of SARS-CoV-2 infection. 

Nothing else has gained much traction. Presidential endorsement notwithstanding, hydroxychloroquine has fallen out of favor.
You seen any studies on the effectiveness of blood thinners? The small sample of actual cases I saw, seemed like clotting disorders led to the biggest clinical issues, specifically, renal failure.

If asymptomatic spread really is very rare, that would be extremely good news, right?  Would basically mean get back to normal life, though with things like widespread temperature checks and masks?  Seems too good to be true... I would think anyone showing COVID symptoms is already isolating, but we still have tens of thousands of new cases a day, how could that happen with very little asymptomatic spread?

By my reading that "not limited to" applies to the definition of large gatherings.. you read it differently?  @jobarules

Last edited by a moderator:
You seen any studies on the effectiveness of blood thinners? The small sample of actual cases I saw, seemed like clotting disorders led to the biggest clinical issues, specifically, renal failure.
No well designed ones. Some info here

There remains very little prospective data demonstrating the benefits of monitoring coagulation markers or the safety and efficacy of using therapeutic doses of anticoagulants in those with COVID-19 in the absence of other indications. A retrospective analysis of 2,773 patients from a single center in the United States reported in-hospital mortality in 22.5% of patients who received therapeutic anticoagulation and 22.8% of patients who did not receive anticoagulation. The study further reported that in a subset of 395 mechanically ventilated patients, 29.1% who received anticoagulation and 62.7% who did not receive anticoagulation died. The study had important limitations: it lacked details on patient characteristics, indications for anticoagulant initiation, and descriptions of other therapies that the patients received that may have influenced mortality. In addition, the authors did not discuss the potential impact of survival bias on the study results. For these reasons, the data are not sufficient to influence standard of care, and this study further emphasizes the need for prospective trials to define the risks and potential benefits of therapeutic anticoagulation in patients with COVID-19.10
Some centers are routinely anticoagulating vented patients, but the evidence summary is inconclusive:

There are currently insufficient data to recommend either for or against using therapeutic doses of antithrombotic or thrombolytic agents for COVID-19 in patients who are admitted to a hospital (BIII). While there is evidence that multi-organ failure is more likely in patients with sepsis if they develop coagulopathy,15 there are no convincing evidence to show that any specific antithrombotic treatment will influence outcomes in those with or without COVID-19. Participation in randomized trials is encouraged, if trials are available.

I feel like the US has basically said, as long as people <65 aren't really getting hit too badly I'm just going to keep going along with my life.

That being said I have no idea how you manage school this fall under an increasing hospital load.  I figure we just say to hell with it, and look at an extended Thanksgiving break, if needed.
Pretty much all the major universities that have announced they are opening in the fall are following this plan. In person class through Thanksgiving break then finish online and come back in the Spring.

What is the severance package for an old person that is working?
According to @TheWinz you get to live  :shrug:

When inside grocery stores, sure.  But inside schools?  No way.  If you are old as dirt, get out!  Inside a nightclub?  You have no reason to be there.  Old people need to do their grocery shopping in the early hours, then hunker down for the rest of the day.  That way everyone else can live their lives.
People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)

What state?
Washington.   This is behind a paywall and is about a week old:

At a time when Gov. Jay Inslee says testing for COVID-19 is critical to safely reopening the rest of Washington’s economy, an analysis by a free-market think tank found that daily testing has declined steadily from late April to mid-May.

The average number of tests in Washington state dropped in that period by about 8 percent, from 5,109 to 4,685 based on a seven-day average of the state’s data, according to the analysis by the Washington Policy Center, a nonprofit group.

“Increased testing is vital if Washington state policymakers are to understand the extent and risk of the coronavirus,” said Todd Myers, the center’s environmental director.

When asked about the decline, Inslee senior adviser Reed Schuler disputed the numbers. “The last week for which we have complete and accurate testing volume data, the week of May 4, shows weekday testing highs that are roughly similar to the week prior...” he wrote in an email.

Myers stood by his numbers, saying he re-did an analysis published Tuesday and found the same decline in testing with the most recent confirmed data as of May 13.

“It’s a three-week trend,” he said.

The most recent update of the state’s COVID-19 website that tracks testing capacity and availability — which features a pointer on a dial ranging from low to high risk — was moved in the positive direction, Myers said.

The text under the dial says: ”Daily testing numbers remain very roughly steady, up from typical April volumes, but not continuing to increase.”

Myers said: “The dashboard is supposed to provide a data-driven, science-based indication of the status of efforts to fight COVID-19. The phrase ‘very roughly steady’ shows how imprecise and unscientific they actually are.

“Additionally, another way to say that testing is ‘not continuing to increase’ is ‘declining.’ This language is intentionally misleading and is designed to replace the clarity of the data with opaque, political rhetoric,” he added.

Myers said he doesn’t know the reason or whether there are multiple factors for the recent decline in testing. He said it’s not laboratory capacity, since the state has said labs can handle 22,000 tests per day.

At a press briefing Tuesday, Dr. Kathy Lofy, the state health officer and chief science officer, briefly reviewed the daily number of people tested based on when their specimen was collected.

“It looks like maybe the test volume may be a little bit lower last week, but we’re still waiting for this data to be fully complete,” she said.

A reporter asked Dr. Charissa Fotinos, a high-ranking state Health Care Authority official who is leading the statewide testing effort, about the apparent recent decline in testing.

Fotinos said the reasons probably are fewer cases of COVID-like illness and health care providers not knowing that the state has broadened its guidance on who should be tested.

“We need to do a better job of messaging to providers and to the public that if you do have mild symptoms, we would like to have you tested. As our supplies are becoming more steadily incoming and reliable, it will be easier to do,” she said.
So Washington testing is actually decreasing.   They've broadened the criteria to testing people with "mild symptoms."  Before that it was limited to people diagnosed by providers.   

The reality is that you cannot get a test here if you are asymptomatic and can't show contact with someone who has tested positive.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington.   This is behind a paywall and is about a week old:

So Washington testing is actually decreasing.   They've broadened the criteria to testing people with "mild symptoms."  Before that it was limited to people diagnosed by providers.   

The reality is that you cannot get a test here if you are asymptomatic and can't show contact with someone who has tested positive.   
This sounds like a communication issue unless your DOH is lying as well 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/COVID-19testing1-pager.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwimnZvvk_PpAhUdmHIEHeIBCX4QFjAFegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw15SCPe1jIoW6MN4f0wAfR6

Who can get tested?
There are currently no restrictions for who can be tested for COVID-19 in Washington State. If you believe you should be tested, call your health care provider. Testing happens at your provider’s discretion.
Not everyone needs to be tested for COVID-19. There is currently no medication to treat it, so your provider’s advice for managing mild symptoms will be the same with or without a test. Anyone with a fever and cough should assume their illness could be COVID-19 and take steps to protect others from the disease. If you are sick, stay home and stay away from other people in your home. If you need to visit a provider, wear a face mask and practice thorough hand-washing.

Users who are viewing this thread