What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Deadliest Catch Thread! (1 Viewer)

So apparently the Kodiak's cameramen fell overboard and drowned. Not shown once in the 2 hour premiere.
In past seasons I think they've covered 5 ships but only used 4 crews, swapping out one of the less popular ships for another later in the season. I'd guess we'll get some more kodiak after someone gets back to dutch to offload (I'd guess either Wizard or Rusty Rose).
I think last year that was because one of the Kodiak's camera crew got seriously seasick and had to be returned to port.

Anybody watching this season? Nice cliffhanger from last week's show with the crewman falling asleep at the wheel.

So did the captain talk to Jake about smelling like weed a couple episodes ago? Did I miss that? It was kinda a cliffhanger a couple weeks ago....

Well, Jake looked as bad as he possibly could. I believe the dope actually belonged to the engineer, but Jake did participate.

Caught part of an American Chopper episode where they unveiled a Deadliest Catch bike and Josh and Jake were there. He looks stoned all the time IMO like Goatboy.

Interesting inteview with the erstwhile captain of the Cornelia Marie including some possible future spoilers.

How did Cornelia Marie Devlin, the boat's majority owner, react to what went down?The last time I talked to her was about a week ago and she's coming up to go on our tour June 1, and she's completely done with Discovery.Why?Because of what happened.So will the Cornelia Marie not be on "Deadliest Catch" if the show is renewed for another season?I'm 99 percent sure it will never be on "Deadliest Catch" again.Even though Jake and Josh own a portion of the boat?What they own is mostly debt. They don't have any equity. And the boat is in terrible shape.Have you seen Jake and Josh since they left the boat? Any mending of fences?No, none whatsoever. I'm gonna see them. They're gonna fly me to Hawaii on June 6 to film "After the Catch," which shocked me. They told me it's an opportunity for me to tell my side of the story. My take on it is they want some of the truth to come out but they don't want to deliver the message.
http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/05/seaside_captain_faces_a_mutiny.html

Interesting inteview with the erstwhile captain of the Cornelia Marie including some possible future spoilers.

How did Cornelia Marie Devlin, the boat's majority owner, react to what went down?The last time I talked to her was about a week ago and she's coming up to go on our tour June 1, and she's completely done with Discovery.Why?Because of what happened.So will the Cornelia Marie not be on "Deadliest Catch" if the show is renewed for another season?I'm 99 percent sure it will never be on "Deadliest Catch" again.Even though Jake and Josh own a portion of the boat?What they own is mostly debt. They don't have any equity. And the boat is in terrible shape.Have you seen Jake and Josh since they left the boat? Any mending of fences?No, none whatsoever. I'm gonna see them. They're gonna fly me to Hawaii on June 6 to film "After the Catch," which shocked me. They told me it's an opportunity for me to tell my side of the story. My take on it is they want some of the truth to come out but they don't want to deliver the message.
http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2011/05/seaside_captain_faces_a_mutiny.html

Great interview. I know a producers can edit and change perception a lot, but the Harris boys just never really fit in with the other fishermen. They just always seemed to be overwhelmed. Jake is a disaster and Josh is overcompensating for losing Phil. I feel sorry for Josh. He was in way over his head, and dealing with losing his Father and helping an addict brother is more than he can handle.The combination of the CM and Derek just never seemed to mesh. I have a feeling a lot got edited out because the way they showed it, Derek comes off as the good guy, but what concerns me is Freddie also said he would quit. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would do something like that unless he had a really good reason.

Great interview. I know a producers can edit and change perception a lot, but the Harris boys just never really fit in with the other fishermen. They just always seemed to be overwhelmed. Jake is a disaster and Josh is overcompensating for losing Phil. I feel sorry for Josh. He was in way over his head, and dealing with losing his Father and helping an addict brother is more than he can handle.The combination of the CM and Derek just never seemed to mesh. I have a feeling a lot got edited out because the way they showed it, Derek comes off as the good guy, but what concerns me is Freddie also said he would quit. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would do something like that unless he had a really good reason.I think Freddie is just that loyal to the harris family and crew. I think Jake just crushed the moral of the entire boat. Whining that this is costing us money. No kidding. It is like that every season. I think Phil did a lot more than anyone believed. Does not appear he did much of anything to teach them about running a boat, just taught them to do their specific job. I think Derek is probably a good captain, but it has to be increadibly hard to replace a guy like Phil, much like replacing a star QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, I'm not sure the dynamic of Owner/Deckhand works on a crab boat. Regardless of their other problems, I think that was the biggest thing. On one hand those two were financially responsible for the boat, but on the other they couldn't make any of the decisions to get there.

I think at the end of the day, if those two want to keep crabbing, they need to be deckhands on another boat and stay separate from their ownership interest on the CM. Gain the experience and knowledge they need to run a boat somewhere else, and eventually come back to the CM as owner/captain.

They should hire Edgar to Captain the CM. :yes:
Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't get Andy or Jonathan from the Time Bandit to do it. They have the respect of the crew and wouldn't have taken any #### (Engineer should've been kicked off before they even left dock.)

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't get Andy or Jonathan from the Time Bandit to do it. They have the respect of the crew and wouldn't have taken any #### (Engineer should've been kicked off before they even left dock.)
I think that was where the whole trip went downhill. When Steve did that, what was Derek supposed to do? If he stays quiet and does nothing, he loses control and respect, but if he's hard, like he was, he alienates the crew before even leaving the dock. Steve put him in a no-win situation.In retrospect, I think his decision to go fro blue crab was a bad choice. Not that it was the wrong choice. Just that, the situation he was in, he should have know that he needed to get on crab ASAP, and help build the morale on the ship before taking a risk like hunting blue crab.

I think that was where the whole trip went downhill. When Steve did that, what was Derek supposed to do? If he stays quiet and does nothing, he loses control and respect, but if he's hard, like he was, he alienates the crew before even leaving the dock. Steve put him in a no-win situation.In retrospect, I think his decision to go fro blue crab was a bad choice. Not that it was the wrong choice. Just that, the situation he was in, he should have know that he needed to get on crab ASAP, and help build the morale on the ship before taking a risk like hunting blue crab.
Well, if what was said in one of those interviews was true, (That the CM had leased off its quota because the Harris boys were'nt sure theyd even go fishing and Derek had to buy a lease from someone else) they might not have had much choice about where they could go. I'm sure the politics and territoriality of the crab fishing fleet are intricate and arcane and VERY serious.Jake Harris is a punk. Keith reads the riot act to the guy who fell asleep on watch and that guy got it. Jake gets accused of smelling like he was smoking weed and he goes MOP on Derek. I think the man doth protest too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if what was said in one of those interviews was true, (That the CM had leased off its quota because the Harris boys were'nt sure theyd even go fishing and Derek had to buy a lease from someone else) they might not have had much choice about where they could go. I'm sure the politics and territoriality of the crab fishing fleet are intricate and arcane and VERY serious.Jake Harris is a punk. Keith reads the riot act to the guy who fell asleep on watch and that guy got it. Jake gets accused of smelling like he was smoking weed and he goes MOP on Derek. I think the man doth protest too much.
and agrees to a drug test, but as soon as a police officer shows, up, he quickly slips off the boat and gets on the next plane out of the state. Nothing fishy there.

that Derrick fella sure seems like a might big doosh

the Harris brothers are just knucklehead young guys... but the captain has had 40+ years to hone being a complete ###### and he showed it.

that Derrick fella sure seems like a might big dooshthe Harris brothers are just knucklehead young guys... but the captain has had 40+ years to hone being a complete ###### and he showed it.
Disagree completely. He knew he needed to establish control on the boat ASAP. He was not going to be able to get on board and be everybody's buddy. Yes, the boys are stupid kids, but when you're dealing with that much money and pressure, that's no excuse.

that Derrick fella sure seems like a might big dooshthe Harris brothers are just knucklehead young guys... but the captain has had 40+ years to hone being a complete ###### and he showed it.
Disagree completely. He knew he needed to establish control on the boat ASAP. He was not going to be able to get on board and be everybody's buddy. Yes, the boys are stupid kids, but when you're dealing with that much money and pressure, that's no excuse.
I'm somewhere in the middle. He should have found a way to address the drug issue without involving the police or having it filmed. That just makes the whole operation look bad.

I'm somewhere in the middle. He should have found a way to address the drug issue without involving the police or having it filmed. That just makes the whole operation look bad.
:goodposting:This is where I am. I think he is probably a good captain but calling the cops to meet them at the dock was just a #### move. I think he was too concerned about saving face on TV for the bad numbers and the mutinous crew.

I heard on the radio this morning that they are planning on stepping in to help save the CM.not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard.

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
:shrug: taking shots at them repeatedly.. all of them... and constantly reminding the boys that their dad failed them and they are incompetent failures.. probably no way to win respect or control of the boat.he constantly takes unnecessary shots. even in the interviews after the show.guy is a doosh

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
:shrug: taking shots at them repeatedly.. all of them... and constantly reminding the boys that their dad failed them and they are incompetent failures.. probably no way to win respect or control of the boat.he constantly takes unnecessary shots. even in the interviews after the show.guy is a doosh
:shrug: I might have a different opinion if he was wrong. He was spot on with every one of his observations. Bringing Phil into it, or questioning what and how he taught the boys, may have been insensitive, But it doesn't change the fact that he was right.

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
I don't think "Your dad did you a great disservice" about not showing them how to run the boat is an attack on them or their dad.

I think from reading some articles that the CM had leased their quote of Red Crab to another vessel.

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
Meh, this is real man's work. If they can't handle him stating the truth, they should try something like working in a cubicle for $30k a year. Then they can be potheads till the cows come home and nobody will even notice, let alone care.

I think from reading some articles that the CM had leased their quote of Red Crab to another vessel.
Yeah, I read that too. But the way the Harris boys were acting, I was confused on what they wanted to do. Just quit fishing altogether? Could they have bought other red crab quota? The whole thing is just really cloudy.

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
:shrug: I might have a different opinion if he was wrong. He was spot on with every one of his observations. Bringing Phil into it, or questioning what and how he taught the boys, may have been insensitive, But it doesn't change the fact that he was right.
Yeah, he wasn't exactly tactful in dealing with the situation, but on the other hand, he got 0 support from the crew. I think going forward (next season, not sure about opies), if the harris brothers want to keep doing this, they need to go crew another boat, not the CM. Having them on the CM undermines the captain and makes for an overall uncomfortable situation. They're not ready/able to take charge themselves, so if they want to get there they need to go learn on another boat.

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
Yeah, he wasn't exactly tactful in dealing with the situation, but on the other hand, he got 0 support from the crew. I think going forward (next season, not sure about opies), if the harris brothers want to keep doing this, they need to go crew another boat, not the CM. Having them on the CM undermines the captain and makes for an overall uncomfortable situation. They're not ready/able to take charge themselves, so if they want to get there they need to go learn on another boat.
They actually do find a captain to take them out for Opelio season. I guess we'll see how that goes.

'BigJohn said:
'mr. furley said:
I don't think "Your dad did you a great disservice" about not showing them how to run the boat is an attack on them or their dad.
i don't disagree.. when said once or twice.. but not every time they talked. they're all clowns. that Freddy guy should box em all and get a new crew. he and that Samoan looking white guy are the only ones worth a damn on that crew.

Anyone have a clue as to how much these guys get paid for the show? For the deckhands especially, I'd think it'd have to eclipse their fishing income at some point

CM should have brought back the other captain (Murray?) that covered for Phil before. Sucks if the CM is gone from the show for good because of Derrick (He sucked at fishing and life). Should be an interesting after the catch episode...

CM should have brought back the other captain (Murray?) that covered for Phil before. Sucks if the CM is gone from the show for good because of Derrick (He sucked at fishing and life). Should be an interesting after the catch episode...
I think they covered the fact that the Murray guy has some other side gig that does well for him. This show has done a real good job of doing the reality TV element (note:I have watched none this season). They haven't done a good job of really showing the economics of how boats like the Wizard are all that the Fed wants to be able to fish anymore for crab. Big boats with bought quotas. All the CM has to do is drive around a bit and catch nothing and the owners still make money selling the quotas.

Anyone have a clue as to how much these guys get paid for the show? For the deckhands especially, I'd think it'd have to eclipse their fishing income at some point
found this interview with one of the deckhands. Sounds like the captains might get a cut anyways..
"Now the show has exploded and some people call me a celebrity, but I just try to remain myself and keep with Alaska stuff and remember where I come from," he said.

Lofland, who lives in Hawaii during the off months, said the show opened up a lot of great opportunities for him. It enabled him to participate in charity events in Florida, Texas and Washington.

"We don't get paid for the show," he said. "Our captains may kick us down a little bit from what they get, but we don't get paid. That's the biggest misconception is that you're on TV so you must be making a lot of money. Well, that's not true. But the charity stuff has been the most rewarding thing and the coolest thing to me."And just because their work is documented on international television doesn't make them more elite than all the other hardworking fishermen in Alaska, Lofland said.

"We're a bunch of blue-collar guys out there working hard and doing the job," he said. "We're no different than any other fisherman out there, we just happen to be on a TV show. You know, we're all brothers out there."
http://juneauempire.com/stories/050309/loc_435979305.shtml

I think I read the boat owners get about $20,000 from Discovery. Some of that might go to paying for feeding the two/three camera or sound guys for the weeks they're on the water. The boat owner may or may not share the rest with the crew, that's up to them.Nowhere near the amount of money for Josh & Jake to go throwing away a livelihood for. Unless they're pulling down more cash elsewhere from appearance fees and sponsorship deals (I think I've seen the Northwestern and Time Bandit in TV commercials).

They haven't done a good job of really showing the economics of how boats like the Wizard are all that the Fed wants to be able to fish anymore for crab.
you lost me
When DC started the crab seasons were on a clock and was from what I could tell all you could fish. Now they sell X pounds of crab quota to certain boats based on some not well described system. That quota can be resold to other boats and fished over a longer time period. This gives the feds greater control over fewer boats and keeps crab harvest in a reasonable range.

They haven't done a good job of really showing the economics of how boats like the Wizard are all that the Fed wants to be able to fish anymore for crab.
you lost me
When DC started the crab seasons were on a clock and was from what I could tell all you could fish. Now they sell X pounds of crab quota to certain boats based on some not well described system. That quota can be resold to other boats and fished over a longer time period. This gives the feds greater control over fewer boats and keeps crab harvest in a reasonable range.
In the first season, boat captains had to regularly call in how much they've caught. Fish & wildlife would end the season once the quota was reach. The change was made to make crabbing safer, not to change the quota (which has stayed on course since the change.)

you lost me
gotcha. i remember the end of one season talk of that being the last year of the "wild west" type fishing. can't remember which season though.

Users who are viewing this thread