What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (2 Viewers)

I agree Dez didn't kill any of us who have him but this is the second straight week he's come up way under what could reasonably be expected given the great matchups he's had. If this were Weeks 3 and 4 it wouldn't be such a big deal. But in Weeks 13-14 we need our studs to come through like studs. I'm not blaming Dez but he's been an ordinary WR in PPR the last two weeks. That's just not gonna get it done.
Actually, if this were weeks 3 and 4 people would be crying the sky is falling.

I'll borrow from the quote of the year: R-E-L-A-X. Yeah, he got 12 or whatever last night. in 2013, he got 8 in week 14 but then in the heavy playoff weeks, he got 30 and 19. In 2012, he got 14 week 14 but in the championship week got 41.

I understand "hey man, its the playoffs" but if you are a playoff team, you ought to be able to survive an "average" day from a player. That's why you are in the playoffs..Because you have a good TEAM.

You just have to stay with it. It happens to ALL players. Look at the guys that didn't even make the playoffs last week because guys like Jimmy Graham had such poor days. Just got to go with the law of averages.

I agree Dez didn't kill any of us who have him but this is the second straight week he's come up way under what could reasonably be expected given the great matchups he's had. If this were Weeks 3 and 4 it wouldn't be such a big deal. But in Weeks 13-14 we need our studs to come through like studs. I'm not blaming Dez but he's been an ordinary WR in PPR the last two weeks. That's just not gonna get it done.
Possibly but the difference is you'd have two-plus months from him to get back on track. Right now you may not get another week

I agree what he did last night shouldn't put any of his owners behind the eight-ball too greatly. But if you're going up against Murray, Romo, Cutler or some combination of those players it would've been nice to see Dez have more of a Dez game, especially given how outstanding the matchup was.

Was last night or last week crippling? It should not have been. But that doesn't mean it wasn't disappointing. As I said, I don't blame Dez but it still stinks.

He can't make any big plays if Romo is too hurt/scared to throw the ball downfield even though he is wide open. He should of had an easy walk-in 65 yard TD but romo under threw him by 15-20 yards so it turned into an acrobatic 45 yard catch. Say he scores on that play-- no one is #####ing because instead of 11 in my .5ppr, he has 21 (100 yard bonus).

I'll borrow from the quote of the year: R-E-L-A-X. Yeah, he got 12 or whatever last night. in 2013, he got 8 in week 14 but then in the heavy playoff weeks, he got 30 and 19. In 2012, he got 14 week 14 but in the championship week got 41.

I understand "hey man, its the playoffs" but if you are a playoff team, you ought to be able to survive an "average" day from a player. That's why you are in the playoffs..Because you have a good TEAM.

You just have to stay with it. It happens to ALL players. Look at the guys that didn't even make the playoffs last week because guys like Jimmy Graham had such poor days. Just got to go with the law of averages.
And all is right in the world again.

Last night's performance doesn't change the fact Dez's production didn't get it done the previous two games.

But yeah that was a whole lotta fun to watch. :D

Carried me to playoff win...... Don't unerstand how anyone could complian about Dez. His stats match projections in my league - top 5 WR.

Last night's performance doesn't change the fact Dez's production didn't get it done the previous two games.
See I don't get this line of thinking. Those prior two weeks he did have down games but he still put up WR2 numbers. How many receivers only put up WR1 numbers every week? Outside of A. Brown every receiver has had weeks where they scored single digits which is a lot worse then what Dez did the last couple weeks.

See I don't get this line of thinking. Those prior two weeks he did have down games but he still put up WR2 numbers. How many receivers only put up WR1 numbers every week? Outside of A. Brown every receiver has had weeks where they scored single digits which is a lot worse then what Dez did the last couple weeks.
Agree. Given a list of 5 to maybe 8 Wrs in the list, I would take Dez and be just as happy with him as anyone over the course of a full season.

Agreed and yes every player - even the great ones - can have bad days. See Rodgers, Nelson, Calvin, Charles and several others yesterday. My point, though, is that taking the matchups into consideration Dez's production did come up under what was reasonably expected in my opinion. We saw how he torched the Eagles last night. But on Thanksgiving the production wasn't near as good. I'm not saying he should score 3 touchdowns every week nor am I saying 10 or so points in PPR is devastating. I'm just saying that based on the matchups he had I expected more than the numbers he put up. As I said at the time, I don't blame him for that. But just like Charles owners are feeling frustrated by what he put up yesterday in a cake matchup, that's how I felt as a Dez owner the previous two weeks.

ETA - none of this should lead anyone to think I'm bashing Dez or that I've been unhappy with him this season. Far from it. Great first-round pick for me. But I still thought the numbers should've been better in Weeks 13 and 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree he could (should) have had better numbers weeks 13 and 14, but I think some of that falls on Romo (especially against the Eagles round 1). His back just wasn't right.

All I can say is thankyou Dez, you saved me from myself this week with benching Lacy and starting Mason.

One more week, c'mon man!

Rotoworld:

Dez Bryant secured 3-of-3 targets for 48 yards in the Cowboys' Wild Card Round win over the Lions.

After Rashean Mathis left with a first-quarter quad injury, the Lions stuck Darius Slay on Bryant and let him play physical press coverage. Constantly double teamed and largely struggling to get off Slay's jam, Dez was targeted just once until midway through the third quarter. Bryant finally got loose for a big third-quarter play, beating Lions WLB DeAndre Levy on a crosser and breaking off a 43-yard gain, busting several tackles to set up a short DeMarco Murray score. Bryant was bottled up on his third catch, getting rag-dolled by Mathis for a gain of three. Dez's coverage-demanding presence created room for Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, and Jason Witten at other areas of the field. Expect a big bounce-back game in the Divisional Round against the Packers.

Jan 4 - 8:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Dez Bryant secured 3-of-4 targets for 38 yards in the Cowboys' Divisional Round loss to the Packers.

Rather than shadow Dez with a specific cornerback, the Packers "played sides" on the perimeter. Bryant still wasn't targeted heavily in a dink-and-dunk attack. His first catch came late in the second quarter, gaining eight on a quick screen out of the slot. Because Green Bay used so much zone, Tony Romo predominately worked around the line of scrimmage, moving the chains with Jason Witten and Cole Beasley. Bryant did draw a long PI flag on Tramon Williams in the third quarter, and ripped off a 20-yard chunk play later in that frame. Due to the NFL's ridiculous and essentially inexplicable "Calvin Johnson Rule," Dez was stripped of a physically dominant 31-yard jump-ball catch on fourth down late in the fourth quarter. Bryant is scheduled for 2015 free agency, though there's no chance the Cowboys let him get away. He turned 26 two months ago and is arguably the best receiver in the game. Short of a long-term extension, Dez will be franchise tagged.

Jan 11 - 4:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Dez Bryant secured 3-of-4 targets for 38 yards in the Cowboys' Divisional Round loss to the Packers.

Rather than shadow Dez with a specific cornerback, the Packers "played sides" on the perimeter. Bryant still wasn't targeted heavily in a dink-and-dunk attack. His first catch came late in the second quarter, gaining eight on a quick screen out of the slot. Because Green Bay used so much zone, Tony Romo predominately worked around the line of scrimmage, moving the chains with Jason Witten and Cole Beasley. Bryant did draw a long PI flag on Tramon Williams in the third quarter, and ripped off a 20-yard chunk play later in that frame. Due to the NFL's ridiculous and essentially inexplicable "Calvin Johnson Rule," Dez was stripped of a physically dominant 31-yard jump-ball catch on fourth down late in the fourth quarter. Bryant is scheduled for 2015 free agency, though there's no chance the Cowboys let him get away. He turned 26 two months ago and is arguably the best receiver in the game. Short of a long-term extension, Dez will be franchise tagged.

Jan 11 - 4:38 PM
4 targets the entire game? Ridiculous. For the life me I don't understand why Bryant is left out of the game plan so often with the Cowboys. Seems like the only time they go to him is in times of desperation.

Rotoworld:

Dez Bryant - WR - Cowboys

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer believes impending free agent Dez Bryant is "destined" for the franchise tag.

Archer is one of the most plugged-in NFL beat reporters and has been anticipating Dez wearing Dallas' 2015 franchise tag since last summer. The price of the wide receiver tag is expected to be around $13 million. The Cowboys want to eventually lock up Bryant long term, but Archer "highly doubts" the sides will strike a deal before free agency opens on March 10.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Jan 30 - 9:30 PM

Rotoworld:

Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones admits the team is "leaning" toward using the franchise tag on free agent Dez Bryant.

"But that doesn’t mean it will stay that way," Jones said. "We don’t ever want to give up on a long-term deal." Bryant said during the season that he would be "highly disappointed" to be tagged, but the move makes too much sense from the Cowboys' point of view. Bryant wants to break the bank, and the Cowboys will likely be in better position to hammer out a long-term deal once the free agent dust settles. The sides would have until July to work out an accord were Dez to be franchised.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Feb 17 - 1:37 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder reports free agent Dez Bryant would "probably" skip the Cowboys' offseason program if franchise tagged.
Bryant said during the season that he would be "highly disappointed" to be tagged, but all signs point toward it being his fate. The tag would net Bryant roughly $13 million, and it would be fully guaranteed. If/when Bryant is tagged, the sides will have until mid-July to reach a long-term agreement.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
Feb 17 - 4:30 PM

As a Cowboys fan, Dez still worries me. If they franchise him, can they trade him? I'd trade him for any number of young WRs and let someone else deal with the big contract demands if that means the Cowboys could re-sign Murray.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Cowboys fan, Dez still worries me. If they franchise him, can they trade him? I'd trade him for any number of young WRs and let someone else deal with the big contract demands if that means the Cowboys could re-sign Murray.
You don't see many positional trades (e.g. WR 4 WR) unless you mean trading him for a draft pick to draft a receiver.

Goodness gracious....my dynasty squad cannot take another hit.....please be false....
:shock: is this not being talked about because the site was down yesterday. ray rice type video? :wall:

Really hard to imagine a video that's 5x worse than Ray Rice. Did he beat up a paraplegic or something?

Users who are viewing this thread