What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Dirigible Thread*** (3 Viewers)

All right. What you’ve written seems reasonable enough, though I wouldn’t do what you’ve done socially. The other night I was invited to a poker game and declined, much as I wanted to go, because none of them wore masks. I’m not judging them, or you, but I don’t feel safe. 
I think my biggest disagreement with you on this subject has to do with our interpretation of motivations. I gather that you, and many other Trump supporters, seem to believe that those who go overboard (in your estimation) on mask wearing do so out of some sort of combination of “virtue signaling) and opposition to Trump. I think that they do so because to err on the side of caution is simply the safer way to go. 
Making a state wide mandate that anytime you walk out your front door you must be wearing a mask is a combination of virtue signaling and opposition to Trump.

Honestly the rest of it is too.  Make a set of voluntary guidelines and let the businesses decide.

Reporters have more editorial freedom there than they did at MSNBC, at least according to Ed Schultz.  MSNBC is essentially a 24/7 propaganda organ for the security state.  CNN basically took over a quarter of the FBI’s payroll.  But I guess Larry King is a Russian agent now. 🙄

I’m not commenting on the substance of this piece, but you can’t dismiss everything published there as “Russian propaganda” any more than every NPR article is “USA propaganda”.  

Nobody even cared about RT until the US started demonizing it.  Its audience is small and insignificant.  This was always a BS fear campaign to tar one of the few outlets still willing to give a platform to anti-imperialist viewpoints.  
FYI - Schultz died on July 5th 2018.

tonydead said:
Social distancing and hygiene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>masks and it's not even close.   Masks are the dumbest part of this whole deal and someone decided to make them the most important because of politics.
Using the break pedal >>>>>>>>>>>>>> steering and it's not even close. Steering is the dumbest part of this whole deal and someone decided to make the steering wheel the most important part of driving. 

I don't know a single person that thinks masks are more important than hygiene or social distancing. Not even one. Are YOU surrounded by these people? I do know plenty of people that think masks AND social distancing AND hygiene are important. Those are the people that I generally choose to spend time around. Ironically, they don't think of any of these as political acts. But they also don't think looking at a thermometer outside is political either.

timschochet said:
tonydead said:
At work they are required.  I haven't missed a single day of work, never do.  I prefer the bandana with a little starch in it because you can just dip your head when clients walk by and it covers most of your mouth and looks like your are wearing something.  We share an office with Clients and they are 90% compliant and we are about 50% when in meetings, talking.  Most everyone takes off their mask when speaking (that the absurdity of it). 

At stores and restaurants I wear one, because it's required, even though as soon as you get to your table no one is wearing a mask (that the absurdity of it).  A waitress of ours the other day had her mask made out of lace (the difference in mask materials is absurd).  I never cover my nose because it fogs up my glasses.  I am more at risk of tripping and hurting myself or someone else without being able to see than I am being hurt or hurting someone with covid (that's the absurdity of it).  Occasionally I forget and will run into the convince store without a mask, the cashier is behind plexiglass anyway (that's the absurdity of it).

I've only been asked twice to cover my nose, once at the Dr office and once when on a plane.  On the plane they are very strict, except as soon as they come down the isle and give you food and drink everyone takes their mask off.  All at the same time! (that's the absurdity of it).

Socially I never wear a mask.  Friends and family aren't forced to come over.  A group of our neighbors regularly get together, no masks.  One of them, my next door neighbor, is a Trump hater, very liberal, his wife gets made when he brings up politics so I try to avoid it out of respect.  

Never wear a mask outside walking dogs, doing yard work, woodworking in the garage and driveway, even though I should because of the saw dust.  It's supposed to be required any time you leave your house (that's absurd).

I have a trip planned to fly visit my 90+ mother on the way to the Keys in November.  I am seriously considering telling her I can't stop to see her, because of her high risk.  Vacation is a go.
All right. What you’ve written seems reasonable enough, though I wouldn’t do what you’ve done socially. The other night I was invited to a poker game and declined, much as I wanted to go, because none of them wore masks. I’m not judging them, or you, but I don’t feel safe. 
I think my biggest disagreement with you on this subject has to do with our interpretation of motivations. I gather that you, and many other Trump supporters, seem to believe that those who go overboard (in your estimation) on mask wearing do so out of some sort of combination of “virtue signaling) and opposition to Trump. I think that they do so because to err on the side of caution is simply the safer way to go.
Critical care RN here, and have bagged dozens of COVID victims. I wear the mask in all stores and public spaces. I wear a respirator in the room of every COVID patient and many other patients with even a remote chance of having COVID, and a mask 90% of the rest of my time at work (not always if sitting at a PC 10 feet from others, or eating.) 

But I haven't stopped my life. I have a small circle of friends who do the same (mask almost everywhere public). Most of them are fortunate enough to work from home. We still get together for dinners/board game nights, etc. and go maskless around each other. (Not very effective anyway if sitting close together for longer periods of time.)There is, IMHO, a happy medium between two extremes here. I agree with Tony that masks every time you step out your front door is overboard, but he's a bit too nonchalant here. But you gotta live your life Tim...

tonydead said:
Making a state wide mandate that anytime you walk out your front door you must be wearing a mask is a combination of virtue signaling and opposition to Trump.

Honestly the rest of it is too.  Make a set of voluntary guidelines and let the businesses decide.
And here I was trying to agree with you. "Voluntary guidelines" is the absolute wrong answer. People are foolish assuming they can't have and spread it

Critical care RN here, and have bagged dozens of COVID victims. I wear the mask in all stores and public spaces. I wear a respirator in the room of every COVID patient and many other patients with even a remote chance of having COVID, and a mask 90% of the rest of my time at work (not always if sitting at a PC 10 feet from others, or eating.) 

But I haven't stopped my life. I have a small circle of friends who do the same (mask almost everywhere public). Most of them are fortunate enough to work from home. We still get together for dinners/board game nights, etc. and go maskless around each other. (Not very effective anyway if sitting close together for longer periods of time.)There is, IMHO, a happy medium between two extremes here. I agree with Tony that masks every time you step out your front door is overboard, but he's a bit too nonchalant here. But you gotta live your life Tim...
As @Man In The Box wrote, thank you 

tonydead said:

I never thought of it as signally a political affiliation.  Maybe signaling that you take it seriously and care about people around you? 

Small sample size and anecdotal, I know but in my experience it's more an all or none response around here.  We all agree about the handwashing and distance.  I've never seen anyone without a mask ask someone to back up.  Never seen someone without a mask take any precautions and wash their hands or even try to sanitize them when they walk in the store.  It seems to me mostly people take it seriously and take precautions or they dont.  Maybe you are a rare one that is constantly washing their hands and walking around with a tape measure when in public without the mask.  ;)

I agree that a mandate for wearing a mask anytime you are out of you house is a bit much, but I have seen enough of this around here to get the impulse someone might have to make it that far reaching and restrictive for it to be effective as people wont comply.  The individual business thing isn't enough, and someone posted around here the stats WI are seeing and we are proving that around here.  

tonydead said:
Social distancing and hygiene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>masks and it's not even close.   Masks are the dumbest part of this whole deal and someone decided to make them the most important because of politics.
And that someone would be named "Donald", yes?

May 5, 1937

Dear diary, 

The libs are all angry about hydrogen dirigibles, but it's all theater.  Hydrogen is an all-natural element.  Without it, we wouldn't have sunlight, and what could be more American than sunlight?  From now on, I'm only travelling by hydrogen dirigible.  That'll show those libs.

I never thought of it as signally a political affiliation.  Maybe signaling that you take it seriously and care about people around you? 

Small sample size and anecdotal, I know but in my experience it's more an all or none response around here.  We all agree about the handwashing and distance.  I've never seen anyone without a mask ask someone to back up.  Never seen someone without a mask take any precautions and wash their hands or even try to sanitize them when they walk in the store.  It seems to me mostly people take it seriously and take precautions or they dont.  Maybe you are a rare one that is constantly washing their hands and walking around with a tape measure when in public without the mask.  ;)

I agree that a mandate for wearing a mask anytime you are out of you house is a bit much, but I have seen enough of this around here to get the impulse someone might have to make it that far reaching and restrictive for it to be effective as people wont comply.  The individual business thing isn't enough, and someone posted around here the stats WI are seeing and we are proving that around here.  
Constantly washing hands and walk around with a tape measure?  No I dont do that either. 

May 5, 1937

Dear diary, 

The libs are all angry about hydrogen dirigibles, but it's all theater.  Hydrogen is an all-natural element.  Without it, we wouldn't have sunlight, and what could be more American than sunlight?  From now on, I'm only travelling by hydrogen dirigible.  That'll show those libs.
Kudos on the use of dirigible.

Users who are viewing this thread