What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD***** (1 Viewer)

I don’t see an Indy 500 thread, but hope last couple of laps are worthwhile. This last 45 minutes has been some of the lamest I’ve ever seen (just back to back to beds reds in last 15 laps as cars are just passing start/finish line to restart).

Modern F1 cars are too big and too aero-dependent to put on a good show in Monaco but man, it's such a cool backdrop for a race.

I wonder how long Lance Stroll's leash is at his father's team. If Aston-Martin wants to compete at the sharp end of the Constructors championship, a #2 driver who doesn't hit everything would bring home more points.

There have been rumors in the German press that Logan Sargeant could be dropped during the summer break if his results don't improve. That would be a pretty quick trigger for a rookie but Sargeant had a terrible weekend.

Qualifying was way more fun than the race. Great track when the cars have room, but man it's tiny. At least the rain made it interesting in the end.

Last edited:
Barcelona this weekend on the short turnaround. This should be a truer test of the effectiveness of recent car upgrades than Monaco or Baku.

The organizers have restored the old high speed right hander that leads to the main straight so speeds going down the hill to turn 1 should be higher. I assume this will help Red Bull and their DRS efficiency because everything else does.

Last year was a three stopper but temperatures were really high. I'm hoping for something different that the dull medium/hard one stoppers we've seen so often this year.

Sniffing around the Austin GP in Oct to attend with my cousin. Checking out attending a practice(s) for now then see what else falls into place. Any tips/tricks to this or just be prepared to sell an organ to finance it?

Feel like Max should be replaced by Danny Ric and see if he can win in that car. Only real way to make this interesting.

Not a great race but at least there were some good midfield battles and interesting tire strategy calls.

Mercedes looks like they're back to best-of-the-rest status, at least on tracks with lots of fast corners. A race to forget for Leclerc who never moved forward and McLaren who were unable to convert their qualifying pace. Felt bad for my man Yuki losing a point-scoring finish on a tight blocking call.

Last edited:
Montreal this weekend. It's another Red Bull track but they all are this year. Rain is forecast for Friday and Saturday which could scramble things up. It's supposed to clear by the time the lights go out but weather could still be a factor.

Aston Martin and Alpine are bringing updates as the arms race continues. Williams is bringing an upgrade as well but only on Albon's car. It's still great to have an American on the grid though. :rolleyes:

I know it was rain-assisted but happy for Hulk, Gunther, and the Haas team to be sitting on the front row for tomorrow. Think that's the highest starting position Haas has ever had in a race? I know Mags won the Sprint pole in Sao Paolo last year, but I don't count that as he started 8th or so in the actual race.

While unlikely, would love to see Hulk get his first career podium tomorrow.

I suppose a Hulk podium is possible but it'll take some opening lap carnage to happen behind him. Haas hasn't had long run pace all year. It seems like a two stopper though with the relatively short pit delta and limited dry track running all weekend.

A finish in the points is a realistic expectation which would open a gap on Alfa in the race for seventh.

Hulkenberg gets three place grid penalty for a red flag infraction.

Yuki, Stroll and Sainz also penalized three places for various things.

What time is kickoff today anyway?
1:55pm ET I believe.

And ESPN2 is having a simulcast broadcast of the race ("The Grandstand") with Daniel Ricciardo and WIll Arnett, much like the Manning brothers Manningcasts of MNF. They are doing those for the remaining North America races (Canada, Austin, Vegas). Don't know if I'll watch the race that way, but will record it to check it out after.

What time is kickoff today anyway?
1:55pm ET I believe.

And ESPN2 is having a simulcast broadcast of the race ("The Grandstand") with Daniel Ricciardo and WIll Arnett, much like the Manning brothers Manningcasts of MNF. They are doing those for the remaining North America races (Canada, Austin, Vegas). Don't know if I'll watch the race that way, but will record it to check it out after.
I enjoyed Arnett's F1 podcast he was doing last year with Beadle, but that must have been canceled because I haven't seen them post any episodes this season.

Sniffing around the Austin GP in Oct to attend with my cousin. Checking out attending a practice(s) for now then see what else falls into place. Any tips/tricks to this or just be prepared to sell an organ to finance it?
Seems like finding places to stay are a bigger problem than grabbing tickets.

Very strange for Ferrari not to split their strategy under the safety car. What's the possible end game for them stretching their stint on mediums? Even if they get another safety car they'd have to double-stack because they're running together on track.

I guess Ferrari's strategy worked out in the end sort of but I still don't like it. They weren't going to catch Hamilton no matter what they did.

Drive of the day was Albon whose nice points day moves him up to 12th in the season standings in what's still probably the worst car. It wasn't pretty but he was able to keep the whole midfield DRS train behind him on old tires.

47 lap times deleted in qualifying today. They should just put up a wall in turn 9.

Ferrari looked racy but they've been fading in races all season. McLaren's upgrade seemed effective which could make the midfield a bit more interesting. Another Q2 exit for Perez and poor showings from Sargeant and De Vries will keep the silly season rumor mill grinding.

I'm not a big fan of the sprint format but that was a fun race (even though Max pulled out almost a second per lap).

That sprint was pretty solid. I don't think I said it previously, but I have suspected Red Bull of not giving Checo the same car as Max since like week three. They looked even at that point, and you could see they were gonna have some controversy. I'm not totally shocked that Checo has fallen off a cliff since. Although alot of it has been his own doing. But Max's car seems WAY faster to me now.

That sprint was pretty solid. I don't think I said it previously, but I have suspected Red Bull of not giving Checo the same car as Max since like week three. They looked even at that point, and you could see they were gonna have some controversy. I'm not totally shocked that Checo has fallen off a cliff since. Although alot of it has been his own doing. But Max's car seems WAY faster to me now.

Red Bull's development directive is to make the car more to Max's liking. He's known to prefer a more "pointy" car with less understeer. Perez has been said to like more understeer. Some of that can be made up through setup changes but over the course of a season, you have the team making improvements for Verstappen which moves thing further away from Checo's window. This was supposedly one of the major reasons for Ricciardo's underperformance last year vis a vis Norris.

Other than that, I doubt there are differences in the team cars except for the cases where they only are able to bring one set of a new upgrade to a race weekend (e.g. McLaren and Williams recently). The PUs are identical depending on where they are in their life cycle.

Another dominant performance by Max today. The entire RB team has so much confidence they pit with a 24 second lead to get the fastest lap for a single point Max (or RB) is very highly unlikely to need.

Some good battles all race long back in the field though. Checo and Sainz towards the end was fantastic.

A lot of whining on the radio today from Hamilton worrying about who else was getting track limits penalties (and Toto basically telling him to shut up and drive the car :lmao:) and from Sainz complaining about Checo (""The stewards should have a look at that. He was intimidating me a lot.”) :lmao:

Looking forward to Silverstone next week.

Very fun race.

The track limit thing was wild to see pop up throughout the entire race. Checo getting his B&W warning with two laps to go only up by 4 seconds made the last few laps a little more interesting.

Sainz had a great weekend and bummed he couldn't hold of Checo. From his getting out of Q2(iirc) with only one hot lap at the very end was awesome, then he was pushing Charles hard again today. Ferrari making the right adjustments so far this season

Another dominant performance by Max today. The entire RB team has so much confidence they pit with a 24 second lead to get the fastest lap for a single point Max (or RB) is very highly unlikely to need.
How funny would it be if Max was hit with a five second penalty with that appeal being won. Not sure if he ended up more than five seconds ahead. Crazy either way

Looks like he won by 5.1. I hope LeClair didn't Lelift his foot off at the end.

Wouldn’t the penalty only apply to a driver who was already black flagged? Don’t think Max had been…Checo though…

Wouldn’t the penalty only apply to a driver who was already black flagged? Don’t think Max had been…Checo though…
They missed a ton by the deletions. I have no idea how it will shake out. Nobody seems safe though.
Additional penalties to: Sainz, Hamilton, Pierre Gasly, Alex Albon, Esteban Ocon, Logan Sargeant, Nyck de Vries and Yuki Tsunoda

Albon and Sargeant are the only two who keep their places. Everyone else on that list drops either one or two places.

The penalties imposed after the race in full are as follows:

• Carlos Sainz – 10-second time penalty
  • Lewis Hamilton – 10-second time penalty
  • Pierre Gasly – 10-second time penalty
  • Alex Albon – 10-second time penalty
  • Esteban Ocon – 5-second time penalty
  • Esteban Ocon – 10-second time penalty
  • Esteban Ocon – 5-second time penalty
  • Esteban Ocon – 10-second time penalty (30 seconds in total for Ocon)
  • Logan Sargeant – 10-second time penalty
  • Nyck de Vries – 10-second time penalty
  • Nyck de Vries – 5-second time penalty (15 seconds in total for De Vries)
  • Yuki Tsunoda – 5-second time penalty
Everyone is up in arms saying they FIA needs to do something about track limits there. Well, how about the drivers figuring out how not to cross the white line completely?

ETA: I do think FIA needs to inform the teams (and the teams inform the drivers) sooner if they get noted for exceeding track limits. Albon said the first time he got notice that he exceeded track limits was on lap 20, but it had actually happened 15 laps earlier. So even if he pays more attention from that point on, he may already have a penalty coming if he did it a few more times between laps 5-20. Understand its a manual process and isn't immediate feedback, but I think that is an area that could be improved.

Last edited:
How funny would it be if Max was hit with a five second penalty with that appeal being won. Not sure if he ended up more than five seconds ahead. Crazy either way

Yeah, only thing I can think is that RB knew Max either had no previous instances noted or that he wasn't even close to a black and white flag to go ahead and risk it.

Yeah, only thing I can think is that RB knew Max either had no previous instances noted or that he wasn't even close to a black and white flag to go ahead and risk it.
I think I read on Reddit that he had only went over once.

Everyone is up in arms saying they FIA needs to do something about track limits there. Well, how about the drivers figuring out how not to cross the white line completely?

Normally they could just put gravel on the outside of turn 9-10 which would remove the incentive to test track limits every time around. The problem in Austria is that the circuit also hosts Moto GP next month and bikes really don't like gravel on fast corners.

Normally they could just put gravel on the outside of turn 9-10 which would remove the incentive to test track limits every time around. The problem in Austria is that the circuit also hosts Moto GP next month and bikes really don't like gravel on fast corners.
Agree there's not really an easy answer. I saw some suggest a grass strip to make a slicker area, that would lead into the tarmac area. Can't see that being an option with bikes though. Seems like it may create a more dangerous circumstance for them.

guess this was wrong, guess he was on a B&W flag warning already and still they pitted for the fast lap lol

guess this was wrong, guess he was on a B&W flag warning already and still they pitted for the fast lap lol

Not that I don't trust the veracity of Tik Tok posts, but I think the first part of that audio is from the Spanish GP. They mention Hamilton being 18 seconds behind, and Max ended up winning that race by 24 seconds over Hamilton, and Max did have a black and white flag on him in that one. There would have been no point in RB talking about Hamilton in yesterday's race as he never seriously challenged at the top of the field.

I think someone combined audio from the two races to make it seem more dramatic. Still can't find any other verification that Max had a black and white flag yesterday.

Back-to-back weeks for the Red Bull dominance tour with Silverstone coming up. It's a classic track that has put on some great races since it was reconfigured in 2011. High speed corners should be good for Ferrari and Mercedes in their battle with Aston Martin. Very straightforward podium opportunity for Perez if he qualifies well on Saturday. Alpha Tauri is bringing a updated floor so I'm expecting great things from my man Yuki until it all goes wrong.

Great Friday for Williams with Albon P3 in both sessions and Sargeant P5 in the afternoon. Ferrari looked competitive with Red Bull on one-lap pace although Leclerc missing all of FP2 isn't ideal.

Mercedes struggled with grip and both cars ended up in the bottom half.

Users who are viewing this thread