What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD***** (2 Viewers)

That there is such a gulf in class on this version of the car gets magnified as the lead team - it's advantage do secure - can get a head start on the NEXT season's car.

There is a gap between RBR to the next four teams and another gap to the backmarkers but those gaps are relatively small compared to most previous eras of F1. If you look back at old seasons, the qualifying intervals and margins of race victories were significantly larger than they are today. The frequency of safety cars has a big impact on the latter but you rarely see cars lapping 3 seconds off the pace in qualifying anymore.

I think this makes Verstappen and RBR's achievments even more impressive. They've consistently a little bit quicker on virtually all combinations of tracks, tire compounds and weather conditions. Max's talent is a huge part of this; if Red Bull had Sergio Perez and Pergio Serez behind the wheel, there would be more race weekends where another team would be the one to beat.
I'd buy a Pergio Serez t-shirt.

Strance Loll FTW
He suxors. Will he ever be out or what?
Not as long as his Dad owns the team.

Yeah that makes for the longest of leashes. Will have to dig up the examples where father has dumped son out of a racing team in motorsports. Surely not zero. And if and when that time comes does Dad stick with owning the team?

-QG
Stroll started racing for Williams when his father reportedly paid $80 million to Williams prior to his F1 debut.
Then when Force India had financing trouble and his father bought the team, he began racing for the new team under the name Racing Point (among other names). The team then re-branded as Aston Martin when his father bought part of the company.

So, even if Dad does give him the boot off of the AM team, I think he'll be alright.

My guess is Lawrence will continue to own the team whether his son has a seat on it or not.
Recent reports said Lawrence was looking to sell up to a 25% stake in the Aston Martin team, so maybe he is even getting sick of young Lance.
I can see why. Lance isn't living up to the high standards the Villeneuves set for Canadian F1 drivers.

Lance Stroll is the poster boy for entitled nepo drivers but he's got some talent. He's managed three podiums and a pole which you can't get as a gift from dad. He still makes too many errors for a guy with 150 F1 starts but he's not the worst driver on the grid. Almost everyone in F1 has been a pay driver at some point in their career. Norris wouldn't have made it without his father's backing.

Its disrespect of Indycar notwithstanding, the F1 super license system has done a pretty good job of preventing total wankers from getting F1 rides like they used to.

I'm afraid there's going to be another track limits fiasco this weekend.

No Crofty this weekend so we'll all have to provide our own excitement

Got a little bit interesting in the end.

Fantastic drives by both Max and Lando.
Two more laps and Lando wins again
Pretty confident Max was doing just enough to stay 2 seconds out. Not sure number of laps mattered.

Lando was within .7 though and was lapping quite a bit faster than Max.

When Lando closed the gap to under 5 seconds Max got reminded to stay within limits to avoid a 5 second penalty

Lando almost immediately started gaining faster too.

My Link

Lando gains on Max at the end of the race. And that lap 57 had a spot where Lando pushed a bit too much and had to restart the charge.

Last edited:
My Link

Lando gains on Max at the end of the race. And that lap 57 had a spot where Lando pushed a bit too much and had to restart the charge.

There's no doubt that Norris was gaining at the end; the Red Bulls had no grip on the worn tires. But Imola only has one overtaking opportunity going into Tamburello. As long as Max didn't mess up the exit of the last corner, he probably could have kept the McLaren at bay indefinitely.

Imola is historic and poses a true a challenge to put in a great lap. The scenes of the tifosi crowding the hillsides are more impressive than in Monza or any of Max's home races. Unfortunately, it's just not suited for modern F1 cars to race on. Even the smaller F2 cars didn't put on much of a show. I guess it's a good appetizer for Monaco.

Another solid weekend from Yuki. He was quick in all sessions, made it to Q3 and brought home a point for 10th.

I was confident going into the season that he'd beat Ricciardo but even I thought it would be by a smaller margin.

Another solid weekend from Yuki. He was quick in all sessions, made it to Q3 and brought home a point for 10th.

I was confident going into the season that he'd beat Ricciardo but even I thought it would be by a smaller margin.
I'd love to see Yuki get a shot at Perez's seat.

Any good F1 podcasts you guys listen too? So many out there....I started to enjoy the RedFlags podcast because I don't want an hour of seriousness. I like the funny, but those guys go off the rails sometimes. Just turns super vulgar out of nowhere. Cussing is fine, but those guys are too much.

I'd love to see Yuki get a shot at Perez's seat.

Any good F1 podcasts you guys listen too? So many out there....I started to enjoy the RedFlags podcast because I don't want an hour of seriousness. I like the funny, but those guys go off the rails sometimes. Just turns super vulgar out of nowhere. Cussing is fine, but those guys are too much.
I've been listening to the Shift+F1 podcast. A couple of those guys did a video game podcast I used to listen to and I think it's a very good pod for the casual fan like myself.

WILLIAMS IN ADVANCED TALKS WITH SAINZ OVER 2025 F1 DEAL
Williams has emerged as a surprise contender to snatch Carlos Sainz for next year, Motorsport.com has learned, with talks underway between the Formula 1 team and the Spaniard.

🏎️

Mercedes now rumored to be going after Antoneli - which I think is a mistake - not just for turning over a seat to a rookie - but also in thinking Russell is the answer for the other seat.

But, perhaps they are willing to write-off this entire era, and let Antoneli learn the ropes next year, and then be ready for the new era in 2026. And even replace Russell in 2026.

ETA - "going after" is not the right term, since he is already their junior driver - but giving him the seat alongside Russell.

WILLIAMS IN ADVANCED TALKS WITH SAINZ OVER 2025 F1 DEAL
Williams has emerged as a surprise contender to snatch Carlos Sainz for next year, Motorsport.com has learned, with talks underway between the Formula 1 team and the Spaniard.

🏎️
I thought they were close to giving Bottas the other seat.

If Sainz isn't in the picture at Red Bull or Mercedes, I still think Audi is his most logical destination. They'll definitely bring the biggest paycheck and it's still a factory team, albeit a new one.

Antonelli hasn't blown me away in F2 but it was a big step up to bypass F3 and he's only 17. Mercedes will have more than enough simulator data to make a decision whether he's ready in 2025. My guess is they do it because they won't gain much from having a veteran keeping the seat warm for one year.

Haas' recent form makes them a more attractive ride than in previous years. I've seen Ocon and Zhou linked there but it's really anybody's guess until the bigger dominos start to fall.

FireStick randomly has F1 TV? Saw it as a 'get info' option and clicked.

I'm reasonably high, but it's happening.

Highlighting Monaco '23... that Alpha Romeo was seeexxxy

eta: after commercial breaks its random years of Monaco

I'm not complaining

FireStick randomly has F1 TV? Saw it as a 'get info' option and clicked.

I'm reasonably high, but it's happening.

Highlighting Monaco '23... that Alpha Romeo was seeexxxy

eta: after commercial breaks its random years of Monaco

I'm not complaining

It's also available on Pluto TV if you don't have a Fire stick. They've been replaying 2024 races on a one week delay and historical races from the upcoming circuit in the run-up to the race weekend. My only gripe (other than the commercials) is the aspect ratio is off for the old races that predate HD.

Just watching the practice sessions, but you do really wonder how much longer F1 can keep Monaco on the calendar in this format. There is barely enough room on the track for cars to get practice laps in.

I get that it is an iconic track, and the scenery is great - but its not really a race, as much as it is a procession of cars in qualifying order.

At best its voyeuristic - writing for a car to clip the wall, or for a sudden rain storm to pop up, to spice things up.

But Quali should be fun at least - Leclerc has dominated FP1, 2 and 3 - so I expect Max will get pole comfortably...

Just saw that both Haas cars could be penalized - and start from the pit, or back of the grid, for failing a test on their rear wings.

After qualifying, both Haas drivers were found to have a rear wing with a DRS clearance that exceeds the maximum permitted limit of 85mm on the outermost areas.

The FIA's technical delegate Jo Bauer flagged the issues after scrutineering, writing in a statement that "the uppermost rear wing element adjustable positions were checked on car numbers 20 and 27.

"The LHS and RHS outermost area of the of the adjustable elements were exceeding the maximum allowed 85mm on both cars.

"As this is not in compliance with TR Article 3.10.10 h), I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration."

The stewards promptly summoned the Haas team for a meeting at 7:15pm local time.

The transgression will almost certainly lead to both Hulkenberg and Magnussen being disqualified from Saturday's qualifying results.

That should be a pit lane start for them from what I’ve read on it.
Races are always better when the Haas cars start at the back - they never have the race pace to stick with the cars in front of them, and just kill the hopes of any cars behind them.

Not that there will be a lot (or a little) overtaking tomorrow.

Just now seeing the Alpine-on-Alpine violence.

Might be the best 1st lap of the season.

And a real advantage for Leclerc and the McLarens - who can swap to the hard tires and make it to the end with no more pit-stops.

That should be a pit lane start for them from what I’ve read on it.
Races are always better when the Haas cars start at the back - they never have the race pace to stick with the cars in front of them, and just kill the hopes of any cars behind them.

Not that there will be a lot (or a little) overtaking tomorrow.

Perez probably disagrees that it was better that they started at the back.

Confused as to why they didn't have to start in the pit lane tbh.

In terms of one-track passes I am pretty sure Sargeant was in the top 3. I know he had at least 2.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread