What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Giants vs. Patriots*** Thursday Night Football (1 Viewer)

BUT HE DID GET TACKLED/MAULED A GOOD 2 SECONDS BEFORE THE BALL GOT THERE!!!

EDIT: I.. I just don't know anymore. I've seen some bad non-reversals but as a Giants fan, that one broke me because it was so blatant and it's not like they weren't calling stuff on the Giants for lesser contact. At least it's as egregious and the hold they called on Janoris Jenkins, if not more so.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT HE DID GET TACKLED/MAULED A GOOD 2 SECONDS BEFORE THE BALL GOT THERE!!!

EDIT: I.. I just don't know anymore. I've seen some bad non-reversals but as a Giants fan, that one broke me because it was so blatant and it's not like they weren't calling stuff on the Giants for lesser contact. At least it's as egregious and the hold they called on Janoris Jenkins, if not more so.
Let’s try again. The intent was to catch something like tackling the player to prevent a TD. Elbowing the receiver in the head. Tripping to prevent a catch. 

On the play in question, they missed defensive holding and then run of the mill pass interference. Grabbing an arm or a Jersey was not what they intended by challenging a no call. 

Again, there wasn’t much interest in adapting the rule in the first place. The refs don’t really want to be called out for missing calls and don’t want to have to deal with video review. Bottom line, the rule  isn’t getting much support. But if they didn’t do something, the Saints fans would have revolted. 

It was pass interference and should have been called.  

I'm glad they don't overturn everything but i would have been fine with them overturning that.  

My biggest worry with instant replay of pass interference is that they will overturn things that they shouldn't. I don't want teams saving up their coaches challenges for the 4th quarter so they can fire up a hail Mary then challenge it, and have every pass inside the final two minutes go to review. 

This game has already gotten so anticlimactic where you watch a great play, then check for a flag, then wait for the review to decide if your team should challenge it, then watch one team run to the line hoping they can get the ball snapped before a challenge comes in, then the cameras go to the other team's coach to watch them looking at the replay on the scoreboard, and the refs talking about why it might be a good challenge but they're not really sure so let's ask a former official what they think. 

They've legislated that every big play has to be reviewed, so you can never actually celebrate watching a big play, you have to kind of half clap and then wait for the analysis about what the replay official might look at because every play has to get looked at again. 

I'm glad they don't reverse these, but they got the call wrong in the first place.  Should have been pass interference.  

I agree with BostonFred.  He saved me some typing time.  

The thing is, it is really starting to look as if this was a safeguard rule, put into place solely in order to prevent what we saw in the NFC championship game last year.  But the problem is, it IS a rule and if you don't enforce the rule ALL the time, then it's worthless. All it does is make most people upset one way or the other and erodes confidence by the majority,one way or the other.

I get that it's tricky. If you have reviews a lot and they ARE overturned, then that is calling out refs. Issuing a lot of calls but...that's exactly what the rule is supposed to do.  If people don't like that, then maybe they should get refs that can make the call and naseum until the players quit co misting the violation as blatantly as they do. 

But then, if you have constant reviews and/or constant fouls, it becomes a lot like offensive pass interference (which annoyed us just enough to gripe until it mysteriously started getting called a lot less). At some point, they have to play the game and get on with it.

Overall, this is just BAD in every way.  It is supposed to prevent aproblem like last year but it offends 90 percent of the people in one way or another so there is no confidence in it.

And then there is the whole aspect that, had they called that obvious infraction last night, there is a very good chance that the betting line wouldn't have been covered and that opens up an entirely different can of worms.  Means nothing in the grand scheme of a loss or win, but 35-21 or 35-17 would have changed the spread being covered and is that something the NFL wants to get into because the reality is that it is very likely that if the refs consistently called these penalties across the board every week, Vegas would have to move the lines across the board. 

I said over and over when this rule was suggested that it would turn out infuriating more people across multiple games than the occasional blown call impacting one game. The rule had disaster written all over it from jump street. 

It was pass interference and should have been called.  

I'm glad they don't overturn everything but i would have been fine with them overturning that.  

My biggest worry with instant replay of pass interference is that they will overturn things that they shouldn't. I don't want teams saving up their coaches challenges for the 4th quarter so they can fire up a hail Mary then challenge it, and have every pass inside the final two minutes go to review. 

This game has already gotten so anticlimactic where you watch a great play, then check for a flag, then wait for the review to decide if your team should challenge it, then watch one team run to the line hoping they can get the ball snapped before a challenge comes in, then the cameras go to the other team's coach to watch them looking at the replay on the scoreboard, and the refs talking about why it might be a good challenge but they're not really sure so let's ask a former official what they think. 

They've legislated that every big play has to be reviewed, so you can never actually celebrate watching a big play, you have to kind of half clap and then wait for the analysis about what the replay official might look at because every play has to get looked at again. 

I'm glad they don't reverse these, but they got the call wrong in the first place.  Should have been pass interference.  
Thank you, and I agree with the bolded.  I would be 100% cool with ditching this challenge-everything regime.

Users who are viewing this thread