What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

sho nuff said:
Ok, take this with a grain of salt....as I have not used mine for Pizza on the grill just yet (and it will be for Kamado, not Pellet)...but I went with Steel vs. Stone.

Found it online...1/4"-3/8" seasoned steel plate.  After a lot of research (seriously, I typically overthink about everything I buy)...came to the conclusion I would like the steel better.   Gets super hot, can use for multiple applications (Pizza, smash burgers, seafood, eggs, pancakes...)  And it reviewed well vs. stone.

Im pretty sure this is what I have...

They have 1/2" and 1/4" as well...the downside...the weight.

Ordered it as the "Baking Steel" was not out for the round the size I wanted for the Kamado.  There are a bunch out there for a rectangular shape that wouldn't work for me.

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html
Thanks, I’ll check them out

Baby backs going in the Kamado Joe for a 5hr slow and low cook today.  Only thing missing from this beautiful Sunday is some Football.  Well will just have to enjoy watching the Padres take the series from the Dodgers in their house I guess!  @Cowboysfan8😉

So more hot and fast.  I would recommend getting the natural gas line extended outside and get a good natural gas so you don't have to screw with tanks.  Weber would be my top choice, with Napoleon as second just for the infrared sear capability.  

A simple lump charcoal grill (the PK is nice if it's big enough) would be my second choice for that cooking style just because it can truly produce enough heat to sear quickly if you're willing to deal with charcoal.  Some might argue for a pellet grill out of convenience and I wouldn't argue against that too strongly if it's one that can at least get up to the 700 degree range minimum. 
Went in to Costco yesterday and they had a Traeger electric grill.  I am a noob here but electric mean no propane or gas and it just plugs into the outside outlet?

:no:

Carrottop getting the split tonight 

:boxing:
He is fun to watch, but you’re going against no-no Mustgrove tonight and Tatis is finding his swing.  Trouble in LA.  😝

In all seriousness this matchup this year has been the best non playoff baseball I’ve seen in a LONG time.  Each and every game is a nail biter.  So fun. 

To keep this on thread, KJ cleaned and getting to temp.  Waiting for a steady 250.  

First attempt ever. I ####ed up the bacon. Had it set and monitored it around 225. I probably let it go a bit too long. My fault. Also the ones in front by the bottom vent essentially burned. Lesson learned. The rest weren't bad my any means, just a little more crispy than my taste

9# pork shoulder in right now. I'm guessing midnight ish? What's the best time to put the sauce on? Like an hour or 2 left?

Mind sharing your recipe?  That looks great and it's on my list to try.
Its more of a process than a recipe. I use a combo of smoker and dehydrator. You may have better results on an electric smoker?

• I use a whole eye round roast, freeze it slightly, and slice thin on slicer (cant be done by hand). Side note: my local Asian market has it for half the price of the grocery store and it comes meticulously trimmed.  :thumbup:
  • Put meat in (2) one-gallon freezer bags. Add enough marinade to coat, but not completely submerge meat. My family likes sweet/savory, so my marinade is soy sauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, cherry juice, toasted sesame oil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes. Its very sweet to the taste. Marinate for 24-48 hours.
  • Dry off the meat well. Line a large tray with double layer of paper towels and then alternate layers of meat and paper towels. Press lightly on the meat to remove all excess moisture. This is probably the most important step in the process. Its a PITA, but it cooks better when its dry.
  • I have a 22" WSM and I stack extra grates on beer 3 cans for more surface area. I run the snake method with hickory chunks and smoke it for about 2-3 hours at around 125-150. The pieces around the edges will be just starting to dry.
  • I then transfer all the meat from the smoker to the dehydrator and run it at highest temp in 45 minute intervals, removing the pieces that are done until its all finished. Usually takes 3-4 cycles.
Good Luck! Let us know how you make out!  :banned:

Royal Oak has worked well for me...IMO, Cowboy is crap.  Have had it twice and both were the same...some ok chunks but so many small pebbles...
I think I said in here recently, but the smaller bag of Cowboy I got from Lowe's had all nice big chunks in it.

I bit the hook again yesterday and got the huge bag from Costco.  If it's filled with small pieces that fall right through the grate, I'm taking it back.

I think I said in here recently, but the smaller bag of Cowboy I got from Lowe's had all nice big chunks in it.

I bit the hook again yesterday and got the huge bag from Costco.  If it's filled with small pieces that fall right through the grate, I'm taking it back.
Lowes now had B&B so I grabbed a bag of that today.  they used to have the Kamado Joe brand...then royal oak.  Now the B&B.

This happens to all charcoal manufacturers. Shake the bag. That can usually give you and idea of what is in it. But every charcoal manufacturer has this issue. Just wait till you get a chunk of rock in your bag. The kilns they make this stuff in eventually succumb to all the heat and will eventually crumble and bits of the kiln will make it into the bag. 

Ok!  First long cook on the LG K24 is done.  The pulled pork turned out simply amazing.   I've cooked a lot of pulled pork over the years from slow cookers, on the Weber propane, in a Bradley smoker, in an LG pellet grill... but this... WOW.  This smoked (pun intended) all of them.   I've never had one be so tender and flavorful, it literally feel apart in my hands when I was removing it from the wrap. 

10 hours of cook time at between 260-280. Threw in some hunks of hickory with the charcoal.  Spritzed with apple juice, and wrapped at 165, ended up cooking it to 203.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/COEYJ9dAme9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

Already looking forward to today's left overs

TheFanatic said:
This happens to all charcoal manufacturers. Shake the bag. That can usually give you and idea of what is in it. But every charcoal manufacturer has this issue. Just wait till you get a chunk of rock in your bag. The kilns they make this stuff in eventually succumb to all the heat and will eventually crumble and bits of the kiln will make it into the bag. 
Found a few rocks yesterday.  

Short Ribs

Bought some Short Ribs @Costco and plan on cooking them today on my WSM. I have never cooked them before. Do I cook them like a brisket? What about seasoning? Sauce? 

The only wood I have at the moment are Oak, Apple, and Mesquite. Will any of these work? 

I plan on starting the cook around 11 or 12. Hopefully this will be enough time for them to be ready for supper. 

Thanks for any tips and advice. 

Short Ribs

Bought some Short Ribs @Costco and plan on cooking them today on my WSM. I have never cooked them before. Do I cook them like a brisket? What about seasoning? Sauce? 

The only wood I have at the moment are Oak, Apple, and Mesquite. Will any of these work? 

I plan on starting the cook around 11 or 12. Hopefully this will be enough time for them to be ready for supper. 

All of those will work. I love me some oak!

Went in to Costco yesterday and they had a Traeger electric grill.  I am a noob here but electric mean no propane or gas and it just plugs into the outside outlet?
Anyone?  Just trying to figure out which type if grill to buy.  Called a plumber and was told it would cost around $600-$700 to run a natural gas line from kitchen to outlet on patio.  Options are paying for natural gas line outlet and getting gas grill, getting gas grill and using propane tanks or getting electric grill.

Anyone?  Just trying to figure out which type if grill to buy.  Called a plumber and was told it would cost around $600-$700 to run a natural gas line from kitchen to outlet on patio.  Options are paying for natural gas line outlet and getting gas grill, getting gas grill and using propane tanks or getting electric grill.
Pretty sure if it's Traeger it is a pellet grill. Pellet grills plug into electric but burn wood pellets as their heat source.

Short Ribs

Keep beef simple. S & P only.  No sauce. Oak is great but any wood will do. Post Oak is primo. Sort ribs do well at 250-275.  Pull them when they probe like butter, just like a brisket. That looks like a half plate so it may get done in 5-6 hours.

Pretty sure if it's Traeger it is a pellet grill. Pellet grills plug into electric but burn wood pellets as their heat source.
I have a propane grill and a pellet grill.

If I could only have one I’d get the pellet grill.

Unless you don’t want to bbq and just grill. Then get the gas grill 

9# pork shoulder in right now. I'm guessing midnight ish? What's the best time to put the sauce on? Like an hour or 2 left?
I see this is a pretty old message and didn't get a response, so I'll just give my 2 cents experience having probably done a hundred pork shoulders on my BGE over the past 15 years -

1. On timing, you can estimate about 1.5 hours per pound at approx. 250 degrees, but that is at best a rough estimate.  It took about 10 years, but I think my wife has finally learned to stop asking me when the pulled pork will be done because I don't ####in know when it will be done!  I never want to pull it off the grill until its reached the magic 203.  That said, you can help things along if needed by wrapping (the "Texas Crutch") and turning up the heat a bit, but I don't like doing that.  The shoulder will typically reach a temp around 160 - 180 where it hits a "stall" and just sits there for an hour or two.  This is the time to pour a drink, take a nap, and just be patient, because this is when the real magic is happening.  The best way to manage timing is to start things way early, because a shoulder - wrapped and placed in a cooler - will stay piping hot for several hours after you take it off the grill.

2. I never put sauce on a pork shoulder when its on the grill - just a rub.  No reason to do that imo.  I'll maybe drizzle a little sauce on the pulled meat on my plate.  

3. Whatever approach works for you is always best - hope it turned out great.

If money is no limiting factor and you are buying your first pellet smoker/griller what are you buying? Would love some suggestions from you grill masters! 

I did short ribs once and they came out pretty tough.  One recipe I saw said to smoke for only like an hour or two and then braise them for a few hours

I did 250 indirect for like 3.5 hours and then tried to braise at the end after I could tell they were tough.  These were smaller (not super meaty) so that could have contributed as well

let me know how it comes out because I would like to try again

I did short ribs once and they came out pretty tough.  One recipe I saw said to smoke for only like an hour or two and then braise them for a few hours

I did 250 indirect for like 3.5 hours and then tried to braise at the end after I could tell they were tough.  These were smaller (not super meaty) so that could have contributed as well

let me know how it comes out because I would like to try again
Get big, meaty, choice grade or higher.  They take a while but not as long as brisket. Tough usually means poor meat to start with or not smoked long enough.

If money is no limiting factor and you are buying your first pellet smoker/griller what are you buying? Would love some suggestions from you grill masters! 
At the highest end I would look at models by Yoder, MAK, Fast Eddy's by Cookshack, and Memphis.

Still higher end but closer to mid-tier I would look at RecTeq RT700, Grilla, Camp Chef, and maybe some of the more regional choices like Pitts & Spitts.

I chose the RT700 mostly because of the heavy duty and predominantly SS construction, their PID controller, big pellet capacity, and the availability of a bolt on coldsmoker and heavy duty base.  I have not been dissapointed.

Ron Swanson said:
At the highest end I would look at models by Yoder, MAK, Fast Eddy's by Cookshack, and Memphis.

Still higher end but closer to mid-tier I would look at RecTeq RT700, Grilla, Camp Chef, and maybe some of the more regional choices like Pitts & Spitts.

I chose the RT700 mostly because of the heavy duty and predominantly SS construction, their PID controller, big pellet capacity, and the availability of a bolt on coldsmoker and heavy duty base.  I have not been dissapointed.
After researching I too really like the RecTeq, but curious if you think the mid size would be adequate for a family of 5? Or should I spring for the 700? Seems like they are build exactly the same and the same features, just has more space to cook in the 700 right? 

After researching I too really like the RecTeq, but curious if you think the mid size would be adequate for a family of 5? Or should I spring for the 700? Seems like they are build exactly the same and the same features, just has more space to cook in the 700 right? 
I would stick with the 700. I think it's a much better looking grill with the pellet hopper in the back and the increased pellet capacity is nice. I also don't care for the venting on the 590.  Pellet grills don't exactly "draw" like a convection style stick burner but anecdotally the 700 seems to maintain temp better.  My brother and one BIL bought the 700 and they love it like I love mine, the other BIL bought the 590 and has had to work harder at dialing it in.  This may be him but I'd still go with the 700.

I would stick with the 700. I think it's a much better looking grill with the pellet hopper in the back and the increased pellet capacity is nice. I also don't care for the venting on the 590.  Pellet grills don't exactly "draw" like a convection style stick burner but anecdotally the 700 seems to maintain temp better.  My brother and one BIL bought the 700 and they love it like I love mine, the other BIL bought the 590 and has had to work harder at dialing it in.  This may be him but I'd still go with the 700.
Most helpful. I'll go with the 700. And any must have accessories in your opinion? I assume you bought direct from them? 

Most helpful. I'll go with the 700. And any must have accessories in your opinion? I assume you bought direct from them? 
Yes. I bought the competition cart, the smokebox, and the cover. The smokebox has been great for making cheese and fish. I like the competition cart but it isn't a must have..it does raise the smoker up a couple inches and I do like that.  It's kinda short otherwise. I also bought the small and large shelves but rarely use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have temp control problems on my smoker - the inlet vent is on the door for cleaning ashes from the firebox, and that whole door just isn't real tight, so even with the vent almost completely shut there's still too much air getting in.  Making matters worse, the vent itself is cheap metal and tends to rust/freeze so that it's really hard to adjust.  

So Saturday afternoon as I was getting it prepped for an early-Sunday-morning cook (pork butts), the little tab for adjusting the vent snapped off completely, leaving a little extra gap. Fortunately it was almost completely closed.  I ended up putting a sheet of heavy-duty foil across the whole end of the firebox.  The air intake was almost enough to hold it in place, and I was able to pin it in place with my ash shovel.

Anyway - it worked great! I was able to hold between 240-260 with ZERO fiddling, and probably made my best pork in a year or two.  I need to see if I can replace the vent for future cooks, but I thought I was facing disaster and dodged a bullet thanks to Reynolds Wrap.

I always have temp control problems on my smoker - the inlet vent is on the door for cleaning ashes from the firebox, and that whole door just isn't real tight, so even with the vent almost completely shut there's still too much air getting in.  Making matters worse, the vent itself is cheap metal and tends to rust/freeze so that it's really hard to adjust.  

So Saturday afternoon as I was getting it prepped for an early-Sunday-morning cook (pork butts), the little tab for adjusting the vent snapped off completely, leaving a little extra gap. Fortunately it was almost completely closed.  I ended up putting a sheet of heavy-duty foil across the whole end of the firebox.  The air intake was almost enough to hold it in place, and I was able to pin it in place with my ash shovel.

Anyway - it worked great! I was able to hold between 240-260 with ZERO fiddling, and probably made my best pork in a year or two.  I need to see if I can replace the vent for future cooks, but I thought I was facing disaster and dodged a bullet thanks to Reynolds Wrap.
Tried a water pan?  It helps when you have issues regulating temp to keep them consistent.  Although your solution seemed to work well also.

Tried a water pan?  It helps when you have issues regulating temp to keep them consistent.  Although your solution seemed to work well also.
Yeah I have a water pan. The issue is/was just too much air getting to the coals.  The water pan helps with temp fluctuation but when the firebox is cranking the temp up north of 300F, it ain't solving that.

(This is an offset smoker btw)

Made chargrilled oysters this weekend in the style of Drago's  New Orleans.  One of the best things I've ever made.  I did not take a single picture but we went through a box of 100 good sized oysters.

Open oyster. Cut top abductor muscle as normal but leave the bottom muscle intact so they don't slip into the grill. Keep oyster on ice bed (shaved is best) until they go on the grill.

Heat grill to medium-high say 500-600F.  

Melt butter with grated garlic and oregano.

Put oysters on grill and spoon butter in with long handled spoon. It will flare up but that helps with the flavor.  This is probably best done on a grill with good grease tamers like a Weber, Napoleon, etc.

Cook oysters until they puff up and the edges curl.

Dust with fresh grated parmesan and chopped parsley. A touch of finishing salt like Maldon's is nice as well.

Serve with small pieces of french or sourdough bread.  The bread is important to help soak up the extra butter.

My BIL is going to be getting a MasterBuilt Gravity cooker (discussed a bit upthread). Looking forward to getting some first-hand reviews 

Made an 8 lb pork shoulder this weekend. My 2nd try

Injected with 2 cups apple juice mixed with a Tbs of my rub and rubbed all sides with my rub, wrapped in foil in put in fridge. 

Set my pellet grill to 225 when I got home at midnight , put it on and went to bed. 

Woke up around 8 am and grill was at 230, pork was 150.

170ish at 1 pm, wrapped in foil, let grill at 225

Pulled at 330 at 205 degrees, wrapped in a towel and put in microwave for 1.5 hours then pulled (fell apart basically) and served with 2 sauces on the side 

Juicy tender deliciousness 

I think I’m doing another this weekend, have family coming into town 

loving this pellet grill so far 

I smoked chicken wings for the first time on my Camp Chef pellet grill and they turned out awesome.  I used frozen wings from Sam’s Club and thawed them in the refrigerator, patting them as dry as I could with paper towels.  I put the rub on 2 hours prior then smoked at 250 for 2 hours.  I then moved them to a baking sheet and put them in my convection oven for 10 minutes at 400 to crisp them up.  Finally, we sauced them up with a variety of sauces, I'm partial to the Asian Zing from Buffalo Wild Wings.

Recipe

I'll try and scour back through the thread, but my wife has given me the ok to look at adding a smoker of some sort to my cooking equipment, so trying to do my research on what would work best for me. I've got a gas weber genesis, and other than enjoying the tasty treats that have come from smokers, I have never really smoked myself.

Is there a good web site I can go to to review all the various options? Is a pellet smoker the easier/beginner friendly way to go?

My wife is not the biggest fan of heavily smoked foods, thus the main reason I've never really seriously considered getting one, however, after yet another friend recently got one (knock off Traeger from what I recall), and after having some of the tritip another friend did and realizing it wasn't too "smoky", she's given me the okay to research what I would want as a possible Father's Day/Birthday gift.

I'm in no rush, so want to do my research to make the decision that is right for us, and also willing to wait for potential sales/deals.

I'll try and scour back through the thread, but my wife has given me the ok to look at adding a smoker of some sort to my cooking equipment, so trying to do my research on what would work best for me. I've got a gas weber genesis, and other than enjoying the tasty treats that have come from smokers, I have never really smoked myself.

Is there a good web site I can go to to review all the various options? Is a pellet smoker the easier/beginner friendly way to go?

My wife is not the biggest fan of heavily smoked foods, thus the main reason I've never really seriously considered getting one, however, after yet another friend recently got one (knock off Traeger from what I recall), and after having some of the tritip another friend did and realizing it wasn't too "smoky", she's given me the okay to research what I would want as a possible Father's Day/Birthday gift.

I'm in no rush, so want to do my research to make the decision that is right for us, and also willing to wait for potential sales/deals.
Pellet grill all day imo

What’s your budget?  Amazing ribs website had a rundown of the different types as well as thorough reviews.

Other considerations.  How many are you going to be cooking for.  Do you want it easy? Meaning set the temp and go or do you want to learn how to maintain temps the old fashioned way?  How much time do you have? For example a pellet is super easy and was helpful to me when i had kids and less time to manage the smoker.  On the flip side some don’t like pellets because they feel it doesn’t put out enough smoke for them.

i started on a Weber Smokey mountain which is a great starter smoker.  Then moved to a pellet.  Honestly i love my pellet but i would say some of the cheaper ones do struggle with smoke output or even lighting consistently.  But they are easy and you tend to get the perfect amount of smoke(can’t really over smoke on them).

they also have ones that do multiple fuel sources, electric ones etc.  

all preference really so I’d start with budget and type and then narrow down.  

PinkydaPimp said:
What’s your budget?  Amazing ribs website had a rundown of the different types as well as thorough reviews.

Other considerations.  How many are you going to be cooking for.  Do you want it easy? Meaning set the temp and go or do you want to learn how to maintain temps the old fashioned way?  How much time do you have? For example a pellet is super easy and was helpful to me when i had kids and less time to manage the smoker.  On the flip side some don’t like pellets because they feel it doesn’t put out enough smoke for them.

i started on a Weber Smokey mountain which is a great starter smoker.  Then moved to a pellet.  Honestly i love my pellet but i would say some of the cheaper ones do struggle with smoke output or even lighting consistently.  But they are easy and you tend to get the perfect amount of smoke(can’t really over smoke on them).

they also have ones that do multiple fuel sources, electric ones etc.  

all preference really so I’d start with budget and type and then narrow down.  
I'll check out that site.

Usually cooking for a minimum of 5, but can easily have weekends where it would be 10-12+, though not all can put the meat away like my boys can.

Easy would be good, so a set it and forget it option would certainly be desirable, especially since most of the time I am swamped with kids activities, that I don't have the time or availability to monitor a very long cook closely, which has propbably been one of the reasons I've never seriously considered a smoker previously.

Budget - not a huge budget, but willing to pay a bit more if it means a step up in quality/consistency. I'd say $500 or under is the higher range of what I would be able to allot at this time, if able to keep it a bit lower would be an easier sell.

Usually cooking for a minimum of 5, but can easily have weekends where it would be 10-12+, though not all can put the meat away like my boys can.

Easy would be good, so a set it and forget it option would certainly be desirable, especially since most of the time I am swamped with kids activities, that I don't have the time or availability to monitor a very long cook closely, which has propbably been one of the reasons I've never seriously considered a smoker previously.

Budget - not a huge budget, but willing to pay a bit more if it means a step up in quality/consistency. I'd say $500 or under is the higher range of what I would be able to allot at this time, if able to keep it a bit lower would be an easier sell.
Start your reading here: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/grill-and-smoker-reviews/

Souds like a pellet grill is what you want.  Set it and forget it.  No way to oversmoke.  I cant speak to these, i have a Mak which is more high end but i have heard good things about the pitt boss and the green mountain.  Recteq also has a good name as does camp chef but the ones here look smaller.    See the ones in this list.  Platinum is their highest rating.

https://amazingribs.com/grill-and-smoker-search?_grill_function=smoker&_pricecheck=399%2C599&_grill_fuel_type=pellets

My son in law has the pit boss austin

I have the pit boss classic which is smaller

We both love them

I believe this is the same size as the classic 

https://pitboss-grills.com/wood-pellet/700fb-pellet-grill-bundle

I could smoke two 8 lb shoulders on mine at the same time 

Users who are viewing this thread