What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I'll check out that site.

Usually cooking for a minimum of 5, but can easily have weekends where it would be 10-12+, though not all can put the meat away like my boys can.

Easy would be good, so a set it and forget it option would certainly be desirable, especially since most of the time I am swamped with kids activities, that I don't have the time or availability to monitor a very long cook closely, which has propbably been one of the reasons I've never seriously considered a smoker previously.

Budget - not a huge budget, but willing to pay a bit more if it means a step up in quality/consistency. I'd say $500 or under is the higher range of what I would be able to allot at this time, if able to keep it a bit lower would be an easier sell.
https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers/products/gravity-series-560-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker

$500. Like a pellet grill but with charcoal. Co-worker loves his. 

Smoked chuck is my new favorite thing.

Seasoned and on the grill

3 Hours in

Finished product

Smoke @ 250 for 3 hours. Put in foil pan and add half beef broth / half banana pepper juice. Cover tightly with foil. Put in oven at 325 for 2 hours. Turn off oven and let rest for 2 hours. Remove fat, pull beef, strain liquid and put it in the fridge overnight. Remove layer of fat and add liquid back to beef.

Served it over cheese grits. Uh-mazing! 

Anyone have a recipe for a good Alabama White Sauce?
Still working it....but this is what we do now:

2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup prepared extra-hot horseradish
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

ETA:  This MIGHT be the one I searched for as a place to start....need to look to see if I have the changes somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much, although I was a bit higher in the heat like 275-300 range

i think mine were labeled beef spares or maybe just beef ribs
Yep. Beef Plate Ribs are the big "Dino" ribs that cook more like brisket.  The ribs you cooked were back ribs, think the ribs on a bone in ribeye. So much better quality meat to start, but not as meaty.

Been at our new home now for two months now.  Came with a Traeger in an outdoor BBQ patio kitchen set up.  Never had one before.  Watched a few videos and cleaned it up well and made Tri-Tip tonight that came out awesome. Simple one hour recipe.

So what are your favorite Tri-Tip recipes?

It's going to be a great summer!

Been at our new home now for two months now.  Came with a Traeger in an outdoor BBQ patio kitchen set up.  Never had one before.  Watched a few videos and cleaned it up well and made Tri-Tip tonight that came out awesome. Simple one hour recipe.

So what are your favorite Tri-Tip recipes?

It's going to be a great summer!
Tri tip is so easy and its one of my favorite things to cook.  Usually i rub with either salt and pepper or santa maria(this is the traditional seasoning for a tri tip).  Smoke on the lowest setting until around 125 internal, then take it off and seer it to finish.  Sometimes i dont even seer it and its still great.  Its my go to for large gatherings.  No need to wait on a brisket to finish.

Ive also tried a tri-sket which is cooking a tri tip like a brisket which wasnt bad.  if i did it again i would want some beef tallow to wrap with. 

Man I love tri tip, just wish prices weren't so high right now - uses to be about $9.99/lb. for Prime at Costco, yesterday when I was there it was at $15.99/lb and I just couldn't justify it.

Man I love tri tip, just wish prices weren't so high right now - uses to be about $9.99/lb. for Prime at Costco, yesterday when I was there it was at $15.99/lb and I just couldn't justify it.
yea from what ive seen all beef is pretty high.  Its due to that cyber attack that happened right?

Tri tip from Costco is my goto right now.  They usually have the seasoned tri tip available.  Fire up my Traeger pellet grill to 450 and 20 minutes each side

Used the grill, but not strictly for "grilling".

Put a steak for me and a pork chop for my wife in a low oven.  Then put my cast iron skillet right on the coals and got it up close to 800F for reverse-sear action

result

Still researching - any experience with Pit Boss products, in particular this one , the 5-Series Vertical Pellet Smoker. Seems like a decent deal and $50 off at WalMart right now. The amazingribs site gave it decent reviews.

E2A: I did search this topic and seems like most that have them like them, but there were issues with the controllers - has that been fixed? The google results are unclear if it is still an issue

Still researching - any experience with Pit Boss products, in particular this one , the 5-Series Vertical Pellet Smoker. Seems like a decent deal and $50 off at WalMart right now. The amazingribs site gave it decent reviews.

E2A: I did search this topic and seems like most that have them like them, but there were issues with the controllers - has that been fixed? The google results are unclear if it is still an issue
I have one from Lowe's (Link) that is similar in size (maybe a little smaller) and price, but has the controller moved up and on the side.  There is an ash clean out where the controller is on this one.

I like mine and there are several Youtube videos about each.

I have one from Lowe's (Link) that is similar in size (maybe a little smaller) and price, but has the controller moved up and on the side.  There is an ash clean out where the controller is on this one.

I like mine and there are several Youtube videos about each.
I think I like that this one also has the WiFi/Bluetooth capability, and it looks big enough for anything I'd realistically do.

E2A: And I've ordered this one - Store Pickup with assembly, should be ready in about a week.

I think I like that this one also has the WiFi/Bluetooth capability, and it looks big enough for anything I'd realistically do.

E2A: And I've ordered this one - Store Pickup with assembly, should be ready in about a week.
Just a head-up.  I haven't heard very good things about their app.  Unless they've recently updated it.

Elk hind quarter

going to try and smoke this thing on Sunday. Putting it in a brine tonight, but not 100% sure what to do after. It’s very, very lean. I’m kicking around just a simple spg rub and wrapping it in bacon. Smoke it at 250 until it’s 140 inside then profit? 

Elk hind quarter

going to try and smoke this thing on Sunday. Putting it in a brine tonight, but not 100% sure what to do after. It’s very, very lean. I’m kicking around just a simple spg rub and wrapping it in bacon. Smoke it at 250 until it’s 140 inside then profit? 
Awesome

I have no idea what to tell you but I’m interested to see how you make out. Buddy of mine has a whitetail hind he wants me to smoke and I have no idea what to do 

Elk hind quarter

I've not done a Elk hind quarter, but my experience with wild game - obviously its going to be very lean and will cook fast. You do not want to overcook it.  I might pull it when the thick part is at 130 or so.  The bacon is probably a good idea, but will likely hider the smoke from absorbing in the meat.  Another option - might be better to roast it on high heat rather than trying to go low/slow.  Would love to hear how it turns out. 

All i know is i am very intrigued by this elk. Looking forward to it.  

since it’s lean i agree you want a short cook.  Maybe dry brine it to bring some moisture down into it?  

All i know is i am very intrigued by this elk. Looking forward to it.  

since it’s lean i agree you want a short cook.  Maybe dry brine it to bring some moisture down into it?  
I’m wet brining it for 48 hours, then that’s where I had the question of a dry brine. Might do it the day of, not overnight like I do with pork. 

Researching this a bit and I kind of like the idea of de-boning it, then stuffing it with sausage and peppers and tying it up. 

I’m wet brining it for 48 hours, then that’s where I had the question of a dry brine. Might do it the day of, not overnight like I do with pork. 

Researching this a bit and I kind of like the idea of de-boning it, then stuffing it with sausage and peppers and tying it up. 
If you are wet brining then i dont think you need to dry brine.  Im just more of a dry vs wet brine person.  That plan sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread