What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

After I trimmed it, about 18 pounds
That's going to be an interesting cook since that quarter is made up of so many different muscles.  Some will probably need to go longer to break down the connective tissue, while others will get done quickly. And it's a pretty lean meat.  It doesn't have the extra fat to withstand a long smoke to break down the connective tissue like a pork butt or brisket. But interesting to try for sure. Worst case scenario as long as you cook it quick if you have some parts that are tough you can always stew them, braise, them, sous vide them, etc. post smoke. 

As a n00b I'm struggling with temps. First I gotta shoot the lock off the wallet and get better charcoal. I know that's an issue. But I am pretty sure my gauge is off by at least 25 degrees if not more. What are you guys using for regulators? Smobot, Flame Boss, etc? TIA

That's going to be an interesting cook since that quarter is made up of so many different muscles.  Some will probably need to go longer to break down the connective tissue, while others will get done quickly. And it's a pretty lean meat.  It doesn't have the extra fat to withstand a long smoke to break down the connective tissue like a pork butt or brisket. But interesting to try for sure. Worst case scenario as long as you cook it quick if you have some parts that are tough you can always stew them, braise, them, sous vide them, etc. post smoke. 
Going to be very interesting…thoughts on a bacon wrap? And internal temp to shoot for? 

As a n00b I'm struggling with temps. First I gotta shoot the lock off the wallet and get better charcoal. I know that's an issue. But I am pretty sure my gauge is off by at least 25 degrees if not more. What are you guys using for regulators? Smobot, Flame Boss, etc? TIA
I jam some folded heavy duty foil in the cracks to slow the airflow

You have a BGE, right? Definitely throw away the dial thermometer that came with it. Dialing in and controlling your dome temp is just a matter of time and experience.  I have this thermometer  https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke .  it works pretty well, but I don’t use it most of the time. You will get used to knowing roughly where the grill temp is, using the heat shield or not, raising or lowering the grill surface to control the cook and then just using a thermapen or similar to monitor the meat temp.

If you have a BGE, there is a separate thread where you might get better help. 

Doing tri-tip but bringing it to a friends house.  Normally i smoke until 120-125 then seer.  What’s the play?  Smoke until then and wrap?  Then seer when i get there?  Or finish it to medium rare and try to keep in a cooler and reheat on the grill? I do have a yeti cooler that can likely hold the temp.  What’s the best plan to transport it and not overcook it.

You have a BGE, right? Definitely throw away the dial thermometer that came with it. Dialing in and controlling your dome temp is just a matter of time and experience.  I have this thermometer  https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke .  it works pretty well, but I don’t use it most of the time. You will get used to knowing roughly where the grill temp is, using the heat shield or not, raising or lowering the grill surface to control the cook and then just using a thermapen or similar to monitor the meat temp.

If you have a BGE, there is a separate thread where you might get better help. 

Thanks. I have an off brand (Vision). But the principles are the same. I might pop in there as well but I figured there's some cross thread pollination lol

Doing tri-tip but bringing it to a friends house.  Normally i smoke until 120-125 then seer.  What’s the play?  Smoke until then and wrap?  Then seer when i get there?  Or finish it to medium rare and try to keep in a cooler and reheat on the grill? I do have a yeti cooler that can likely hold the temp.  What’s the best plan to transport it and not overcook it.
What’s your travel time?

I’d pull it at 120 then wrap it in foil and throw it on the yeti. It’ll cook to perfection in there imo 

I’ve done tritip drive through fundraisers where we cook whole ones, pull them at 120, then they go in an ice chest until sold. They come out great

The Gator said:
What’s your travel time?

I’d pull it at 120 then wrap it in foil and throw it on the yeti. It’ll cook to perfection in there imo 

I’ve done tritip drive through fundraisers where we cook whole ones, pull them at 120, then they go in an ice chest until sold. They come out great
Only about 30-45 mins.  I may need to hold it about 90 mins as it’s finishing earlier than expected.  Do i leave the water plug open or closed in the yeti?  Let the tri tip rest unwrapped for a few mins first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only about 30-45 mins.  Do i leave the water plug open or closed in the yeti?  Let the tri tip rest unwrapped for a few mins first?
I wouldn’t let it rest first, wrap it hot seal the chest.  You want it to cook through a bit more. 

it should come out really good. That last bit of slow cooking it does in the chest gets it cooked really evenly. 

I wouldn’t let it rest first, wrap it hot seal the chest.  You want it to cook through a bit more. 

it should come out really good. That last bit of slow cooking it does in the chest gets it cooked really evenly. 
Bet.  How long can i hold it in there you think?

That trip is pushing it imo, especially if you like it mid rare, but it won’t ruin it if it’s longer. It shouldn’t dry out wrapped and in the chest, but it might be more well done. 

Love my Traeger Ironwood 650.  

Recently scored a friends BGE XL. Looking forward to learning more about how to use it.  What are your top 3 things to cook on your Eggs?

strykerpks said:
Thanks. I have an off brand (Vision). But the principles are the same. I might pop in there as well but I figured there's some cross thread pollination lol
What are you struggling with specifically?  I know one thing I have noticed, at least from my experience, is you need some time for the lump charcoal to settle in.  Like if some are fully ignited and some are partial it can cause fluctuations later

i usually leave my bottom vent wide open and then play around with the top vent to adjust temps.  If I am doing a slow overnight cook though I will do the bottom vent maybe only 1/4 open

Recently scored a friends BGE XL. Looking forward to learning more about how to use it.  What are your top 3 things to cook on your Eggs?
I really like doing wings on mine.  Steaks, ribs, pork shoulder and brisket as well

i am gonna give pizza another go soon

I don’t have a bge, but IMO the easiest most forgiving cut to learn with is a pork shoulder

I have a kamado joe.  Aside from pork shoulder and brisket I love cooking pizza in the thing.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this:  https://www.kamadojoe.com/collections/accessories/products/dojoe.   I think the Big Joe size might fit the BGE XL

• Smile
Reactions: One
I got to try out one of my Father's Day presents yesterday - MEATER Plus Smart Wireless Remote Thermometer

Overall I was very impressed.  The mobile app is awesome, especially if you're more of a novice like me.  You tell it what you're smoking and it suggests the correct temps to cook to and then you lock that in and it will alert you 5 minutes before it gets to that  final temp.  It also computes an estimated time until it reaches the target temp so you can plan out the other stuff you might be cooking.  The other really nice thing is that it stores a log of all of your cooks so you can go back and review them for planning future cooks.

I got to try out one of my Father's Day presents yesterday - MEATER Plus Smart Wireless Remote Thermometer

Overall I was very impressed.  The mobile app is awesome, especially if you're more of a novice like me.  You tell it what you're smoking and it suggests the correct temps to cook to and then you lock that in and it will alert you 5 minutes before it gets to that  final temp.  It also computes an estimated time until it reaches the target temp so you can plan out the other stuff you might be cooking.  The other really nice thing is that it stores a log of all of your cooks so you can go back and review them for planning future cooks.
How is the range of the meater to the receiver?  The original when i had it was amazingly awful in this respect.  Wouldn’t even work in the oven sitting in the next room.  Hoping they improved that.  

update?

Brisket Question.

So i'm gonna smoke a brisket [point and flat] on Saturday, I have two possible problems. 

1. My off set smoker might be to small for the brisket, and its very inefficient. 

2. Friday night hockey game. I may drink to much and not get up early enough to get started.

Can I put the smoke on it to get my color and bark Friday night. Then wrap it and finish it off Saturday late morning/early afternoon? 

That would fix posable problem #2  and give me the option to smoke the the flat and point separately. Flat Friday Night. Point Saturday morning, If my smoker is to small. In this case I'll finish off the point [ Burnt Ends ] in a pan on my gas grill. 

So I guess I wanna know if it's okay to start, stop, then restart.  

How is the range of the meater to the receiver?  The original when i had it was amazingly awful in this respect.  Wouldn’t even work in the oven sitting in the next room.  Hoping they improved that.  
I think the original version was only listed with 30 ft coverage, whereas this one says 165 ft.  I walked all over my house, including upstairs and didn't lose the signal during my cook.  The way mine works is you put the probe in the meat, then you put the box that it comes in next to the grill (I just put mine on the tray on the side) and then the box acts as a repeater to your Wi-Fi network if that makes sense.  Not sure if the older version worked that way or not.

Can I put the smoke on it to get my color and bark Friday night. Then wrap it and finish it off Saturday late morning/early afternoon? 

That would fix posable problem #2  and give me the option to smoke the the flat and point separately. Flat Friday Night. Point Saturday morning, If my smoker is to small. In this case I'll finish off the point [ Burnt Ends ] in a pan on my gas grill. 

So I guess I wanna know if it's okay to start, stop, then restart.  
Yes, this can be done.  And it will turn out good. Just be sure to plunge cool the brisket after the first part of the cook. A couple big food grade bags and a cooler full of ice water will do the trick. Then keep it refrigerated.  If you don't plunge cool it you run the risk of it being in the "danger zone" for a long time while it goes from smoker to fridge.

Yes, this can be done.  And it will turn out good. Just be sure to plunge cool the brisket after the first part of the cook. A couple big food grade bags and a cooler full of ice water will do the trick. Then keep it refrigerated.  If you don't plunge cool it you run the risk of it being in the "danger zone" for a long time while it goes from smoker to fridge.
What is this plunge cool you speak of?

E Street Brat said:
What is this plunge cool you speak of?
Put the brisket in food safe plastic bag (double is best just in case).  Plunge it into a cooler filled with ice water.  Get the brisket down to below 40 F quickly and then refrigerate it until you finish the cook.

Boner

pulled it at 168. 

Process was starting it at 300 degrees as posted above.  After 1.5hrs I covered it in bacon. After about 5hrs the Internal temp hit 165ish then stalled for a while. Ended up taking it off at 168 and it was exceptional. 

Ate like a prime steak. Would do again
This post made me go out for an elk chop tonight. Know it isn't the same, but it reminded me it had been a couple of years since having some nice elk

Been on a wing kick lately. Nailed some really good ones this weekend. Cover them in Tony’s, smoke for 2 1/2 hrs @ 250. Pulled them off, coated half in Buffalo sauce, half in Sweet Baby Ray’s, threw them in the oven for 8 minutes a side @ 450 to crisp up and WALA! The BBQ were excellent.

Rubbed a chuck roast in salt and pepper and smoked for 3 hours.  Put it in a pan with a Guinness, worchestire, garlic, jalapeños, onions and peppers and covered.  Cooked until a fork slid in like butter and pulled the meat.  Tossed on some hard rolls with cheese and it was top notch.  

I have one from Lowe's (Link) that is similar in size (maybe a little smaller) and price, but has the controller moved up and on the side.  There is an ash clean out where the controller is on this one.

I like mine and there are several Youtube videos about each.

I think I like that this one also has the WiFi/Bluetooth capability, and it looks big enough for anything I'd realistically do.

E2A: And I've ordered this one - Store Pickup with assembly, should be ready in about a week.
Freaking Lowe's - ordered as noted above on the 22nd, original estimated date was pickup by the 29th.... well, with no notification it's now "unknown" and showing as out of stock at the local store and just about all of the local Lowe's as well. I did find one store within driving distance that online shows they can deliver (odd though that in store pickup is not an option), but the delivery fee is $120. I'll be calling Lowe's in the morning and seeing if they will just deliver me that one, preferable with delivery fee waived given the delay with no notice.

Honestly a simple email/text update on the order that it was delayed and I'd really not be that bothered if they could give me an ETA, but the lack of communication from them really bugs me.

I need some help thinking something through.  We are heading to a friends cottage this weekend with a group of 10 and I am bringing my Green Mountain Davy Crockett Smoker.  I'm doing a mac & cheese, ribs and bacon wrapped pickles on Saturday.  My plan is to smoke the and cheese in the morning and then do the ribs, doing the 3/2/1 method.  Mid cook of the ribs, I want to work in the bacon wrapped pickles as a snack.  These will take 45 minutes to an hour.  Here is what I am thinking.  After I smoke the mac and cheese, I'll put the ribs on for their first 3 hour cook.  Then, I'll take them off for the 2-hour foil phase and smoke the bacon wrapped pickles.  My thought is to put the wrapped ribs in the oven to keep their cook going at the same temp as the smoker until the pickles are done (as they really don't gain that much smoke while wrapped).  My question is, would it be better to wrap the ribs and just let the set out until the pickles are done or is the oven a good move to keep the cook going?  I'll be using a temp probe to get the temp right in the last 1-hour phase, so either option will get these to the right temp in the end.  

I need some help thinking something through.  We are heading to a friends cottage this weekend with a group of 10 and I am bringing my Green Mountain Davy Crockett Smoker.  I'm doing a mac & cheese, ribs and bacon wrapped pickles on Saturday.  My plan is to smoke the and cheese in the morning and then do the ribs, doing the 3/2/1 method.  Mid cook of the ribs, I want to work in the bacon wrapped pickles as a snack.  These will take 45 minutes to an hour.  Here is what I am thinking.  After I smoke the mac and cheese, I'll put the ribs on for their first 3 hour cook.  Then, I'll take them off for the 2-hour foil phase and smoke the bacon wrapped pickles.  My thought is to put the wrapped ribs in the oven to keep their cook going at the same temp as the smoker until the pickles are done (as they really don't gain that much smoke while wrapped).  My question is, would it be better to wrap the ribs and just let the set out until the pickles are done or is the oven a good move to keep the cook going?  I'll be using a temp probe to get the temp right in the last 1-hour phase, so either option will get these to the right temp in the end.  
Use the oven. You don't want to potentially let them get in the temp danger zone of 40-140 F.

Alright, after some calls and potential f ups by Lowe's, I have my Pit Boss all set up and havev done the first run to burn everything off per the directions.

Planning to do first cook tomorrow with a couple of tritips, as that is what I have on hand. Will let you all know how that goes.

Have really been into roasting chickens spatchcock style on the ole recteq lately. Just enough smoke flavor @350 for 1.5-2 hours dependent upon bird size. Cube up the meat for quick lunches during the week…Smoked chicken quesadillas, tacos, and chicken salad sandwiches. 

Users who are viewing this thread