What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL GUN CONTROL DEBATE*** (1 Viewer)

Shut down gun manufacturers in America, at least sales in America.Anyone found in possession of more than a minimal number of guns and bullets faces prison. Without parole. Yes, you are now a criminal.So you don't want to turn in your toys...hope you're willing to pay for your hobby with your life.
:lmao:

If Obama tries to pass an executive order banning anything to do with the second amendment, there will be a civil war in this Country.
This time, the North will tank it.
If Obama tries this then he becomes a dictator. It would show is is not working for the people and our constitution, but against us. We have a fundamental right and responsibility to stand up and overthrow this type of government.
He's pretty limited on what he can accomplish with an executive order. If it is anything substantial it will likely be appealed to the courts and even if it passes that test it will only be temporary in nature. Gun rights advocates should be ecstatic if this is all he can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this whole gun thing is a red herring. Sure the left wants to ban guns, old news, but this distracts both sides from the state of the economy. Everyone's taxes just went up (payroll tax), the Dems are discussing raising other taxes too and let me tell you you cannot support this level of government by only taxing the "rich". Yet everyone is worried about guns, or to be more precise when guns kill white people. Yet both Dems and repubs in the middle class are going to take it in the ###! Yet this distraction shifts focus from the real problems this country faces. Not to mention how EVERYONES healthcare premiums are going up double digits because of Obamacare. Yet we discuss banning ar15's which account for less then 1% of all gun deaths. Obama is a genius, fools everyone with this issue while we as a nation crumble. Wow.

I think this whole gun thing is a red herring. Sure the left wants to ban guns, old news, but this distracts both sides from the state of the economy. Everyone's taxes just went up (payroll tax), the Dems are discussing raising other taxes too and let me tell you you cannot support this level of government by only taxing the "rich". Yet everyone is worried about guns, or to be more precise when guns kill white people. Yet both Dems and repubs in the middle class are going to take it in the ###! Yet this distraction shifts focus from the real problems this country faces. Not to mention how EVERYONES healthcare premiums are going up double digits because of Obamacare. Yet we discuss banning ar15's which account for less then 1% of all gun deaths. Obama is a genius, fools everyone with this issue while we as a nation crumble. Wow.
If you go to FreeRepublic.com, you can find a lot of people who agree with you about this. Furthermore, they speculate that Obama planned the whole Newtown shootings with this in mind (and to take away everyone's guns.)

If you go to FreeRepublic.com, you can find a lot of people who agree with you about this. Furthermore, they speculate that Obama planned the whole Newtown shootings with this in mind (and to take away everyone's guns.)
That's some crazy stuff, I'm no even going to dignify a response to it but it's tough to deny the state of the economy and increasing taxes the on middle class. Obama is too smart not to realize that this must happen in order to further his agenda. Sadly most middle class Dems don't and focus on GUNS GUNS GUNS! Genius really.

That's some crazy stuff, I'm no even going to dignify a response to it but it's tough to deny the state of the economy and increasing taxes the on middle class. Obama is too smart not to realize that this must happen in order to further his agenda. Sadly most middle class Dems don't and focus on GUNS GUNS GUNS! Genius really.
Actually, the problem has been not enough focus on reasonable restrictions on firearms. The Dems have been pretty acquiescent on this issue for quite some time. That's going to change. And, they are going to get plenty of help from Republicans, too. Sandy Hook changed things. Not a complete 180. But, I guarantee there will be far more widesweeping restrictions on firearm access than ever before. And, it's a direct result of Sandy Hook that there will be bipartisan support (albeit more Democrat than Republican, for sure).

Actually, the problem has been not enough focus on reasonable restrictions on firearms. The Dems have been pretty acquiescent on this issue for quite some time. That's going to change. And, they are going to get plenty of help from Republicans, too. Sandy Hook changed things. Not a complete 180. But, I guarantee there will be far more widesweeping restrictions on firearm access than ever before. And, it's a direct result of Sandy Hook that there will be bipartisan support (albeit more Democrat than Republican, for sure).
I will go on record here to say that not much will change after all is said and done. There are MANY dems who enjoy guns and will not fall for the hype. Which dem said about 10 years ago that the reason bush won was because of gun control attempts?. Dems should beware the fire or they will get burned.

I will go on record here to say that not much will change after all is said and done. There are MANY dems who enjoy guns and will not fall for the hype. Which dem said about 10 years ago that the reason bush won was because of gun control attempts?. Dems should beware the fire or they will get burned.
The fact that Obama had to come out with the executive order threat means they aren't getting much traction in Congress. Boehner obviously isn't going to bring anything up for a vote without majority Republican support so any legislation will have to overcome that hurdle.

i just wonder how long it would take to register 300 million guns?
317,000,000 as a conservative estimate.
Actually, if we wanted to do this as a nation, it wouldn't be that difficult. Here's how I would handle it:1. Once the law was passed, every gun owner would have 90 days to register with a national database. You could do this one of 3 ways: on the internet, by telephone, or at the post office. I would keep the fees cheap: $10 for a handgun, $25 for a rifle. You enter your name, address, type of weapon, and serial number. 2. Every year you would need to renew the registration for each firearm. 3. There will be NO police search without probable cause. However, after the 90 day period, if you are caught possessing an unregistered gun, you will have broken the law. First time, you pay $100 fine. Second time, it's a misdemeanor on your record, and the unregistered firearm(s) are seized. Very easy.

Hope he tries to come up with all kinds of executive orders to bypass the 2nd Amendment. It would be the biggest mistake he could ever conceive of. If this happens you will see America as never before, he will lose the Senate easily in the 2014 elections.Talk about pissing in Middle Americas Cheerios, we would have an American Spring. Waking up a sleeping giant would seem to be the last thing he would want to do for his legacy. He would be treading on thin ice with America. The Tea Party had an historic impact in 2010 election, that would be nothing compared to this would bring in 2014.

Actually, if we wanted to do this as a nation, it wouldn't be that difficult. Here's how I would handle it:1. Once the law was passed, every gun owner would have 90 days to register with a national database. You could do this one of 3 ways: on the internet, by telephone, or at the post office. I would keep the fees cheap: $10 for a handgun, $25 for a rifle. You enter your name, address, type of weapon, and serial number. 2. Every year you would need to renew the registration for each firearm. 3. There will be NO police search without probable cause. However, after the 90 day period, if you are caught possessing an unregistered gun, you will have broken the law. First time, you pay $100 fine. Second time, it's a misdemeanor on your record, and the unregistered firearm(s) are seized. Very easy.
You really, really don't understand Tim, the vast majority of Americans would not register with a national database, even if you paid them $25 per gun and threatened 100 Million with jail. You seriously have no clue how seriously this would be taken. I will say this right here right now there is no way that a National Database would ever even get 10% of the weapons. You ever hit a wasps nest with a stick, that is what you are looking at doing.

You really, really don't understand Tim, the vast majority of Americans would not register with a national database, even if you paid them $25 per gun and threatened 100 Million with jail. You seriously have no clue how seriously this would be taken. I will say this right here right now there is no way that a National Database would ever even get 10% of the weapons. You ever hit a wasps nest with a stick, that is what you are looking at doing.
I think you overestimate the craziness of the gun owners based on your own POV. Most are reasonable and want reasonable protections and restrictions. Not all of them are whack jobs.

I think you overestimate the craziness of the gun owners based on your own POV. Most are reasonable and want reasonable protections and restrictions. Not all of them are whack jobs.
Great now you are a whack job if you don't want to send the government every year another $35x however many guns you have. Liberals are power hungry tyrants. Save the ####### children my ###.

I don't think most people would disobey the law. If they did, they're crazier than I supposed. But I don't believe that will happen. My proof? In all of the countries that enjoy private ownership of guns, such as Israel, nobody seems to have a problem with this.

yeah a per gun / annual tax aka penalty for owning something that we are rightfully entitled too will not fly

this just wreaks of big brother

it's not the solution

But what about if it's some deranged kid doing the shooting as is so often the case. Would you rather he has a 50 round capacity to just keep shooting or a 10 round capacity and has to change magazines and there is a chance he drops them or the gun jams or whatever. Isn't it better to somehow slow the slaughter in some way?
I realize there's a whole bunch of gun people who can re-load extremely quickly. I get that. But that doesn't mean that some crazed madman like Jared Loughner is able to do it. The fact is that some of these guys are tackled when they are trying to re-load. Therefore, I think we can make the reasonable assumption that if any of these killers had been forced to re-load after 10 bullets rather than 30 (or whatever the number was) lives would have been saved. That's why I continue to find your denials ultimately unconvincing.
I said this before and offended someone, so I'm not trying to repeat that, but I don't think you guys realize how little practice this takes. It's seconds. I have very little 'gun people' in me and I can eject and reload a magazine in seconds. Give me a week of practice with a revolver and I'd be just as fast. All it takes is advance preparation.
OK, in a controlled environment but you don't think it's at all possible that problems could arise while in the midst of a slaughter with heightened nerves and the panic everywhere?
Why would the shooter be nervous and panicked?

I don't think most people would disobey the law. If they did, they're crazier than I supposed. But I don't believe that will happen. My proof? In all of the countries that enjoy private ownership of guns, such as Israel, nobody seems to have a problem with this.
I believe you are incorrect and you should use the word passionate not crazy. Also we don't "enjoy private ownership" it is a Right granted to us by our Founding Fathers and not to be "infringed" upon by the state or federal government. You can have your background checks and your closing of the "gun show" loophole but you will not get a national or state database. Even Cuomo is not suggesting that and he vows "Cuomo Vows to ‘Enact the Toughest Assault Weapon Ban in the Nation, Period!’"

To that end, the governor outlined the items on his seven-point gun plan.

“Number 1: Enact the toughest assault weapon ban in the nation, period!” he shouted, before ticking off his other new gun control proposals. “Number two, close the private sale loophole by requiring federal background checks. Number three, ban high-capacity magazines. Number four, enact tougher penalties for illegal gun use, guns in school grounds and violent gangs. Number five, keep guns from people who are mentally ill. Number six, ban direct internet sales of ammunition in New York. Number seven, create a state [National Instant Criminal Background Check System] check on all ammunition purchases.”
So put your pipe down and try to deal with reality, because you are NOT going to be happy when all is said and done. Because of "nutjobs" like you, America is arming at a pace never before seen. How many millions of high capacity magazines do you think have flown off the shelves in the last month?Here is an email I received just this evening:

Dear Customer,

We want to give you a quick update on where we are with order shipments. Volumes are at unprecedented levels throughout our industry. We are happy to report that we have now shipped all orders up to those taken on January 2nd, and are working hard to get the remainder shipped out ASAP.

Please note that if you ordered prior to January 2nd, and you have not received a tracking notice via email, don't worry - your order has shipped but we have not had time to email all of the tracking notices. The reason for this is because we are putting all available resources, including people who would normally be working on administrative tasks like tracking emails, into getting your order shipped.

We thank you for your business and your continued patience as we catch up.

Stay true, stay safe, and STAY LOCKED & LOADED!

Great now you are a whack job if you don't want to send the government every year another $35x however many guns you have. Liberals are power hungry tyrants. Save the ####### children my ###.
I am not a liberal and certainly not power hungry. But, I do love children and most certainly blame the NRA and the Alex Jones crazies of the world for fostering conditions and environment that threatens them. There are reasonable measures regarding background checks, a national database, and limitations on the types of firearms that would be positive steps in the right direction. And, for their safety, my family's safety, and the safety of my neighbors, I'm tired of all the acquiescing to insane people in determining policy on firearms. And, for those concerned, the second amendment will survive, as it should.

PANIC: One Million AR-15 Magazines On Backorder

According to the gun review site, "Haus of Guns," backorders for the Magpul AR-15 30-round magazine ("PMAG") have surpassed one million.

In a Facebook post dated today, January 9, Haus of Guns writes the following:

"Had breakfast with a buddy who has reasonably close ties to the Magpul family. Word is the great PMAG panic backorder of 2012/13 has topped 1 million at Magpul HQ."

Magpul is a designer and manufacturer of firearms accessories. The PMAG is one of their most popular products. It is a 30-round magazine designed for the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

Sales of firearms, ammunition and firearms accessories have surged in recent weeks over fears that the Obama administration will soon implement stricter gun laws.

Dianne Fenstien (D-Calif.) plans on introducing legislation that would ban military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Because the PMAG holds 30 rounds, it would fall under the definition of "high-capacity" in the Feinstein bill.

But, before any such legislation occurs, gun enthusiasts are scouring the nation to get their hands on what could be some of the last manufactured PMAGs.

People would be so mad they would take to the Internet and blog with severe profanity! They might even sign petitions or refuse to pay the license fee!But this country is far too lazy for an American Spring or aome sort of revolution.

PANIC: One Million AR-15 Magazines On Backorder

According to the gun review site, "Haus of Guns," backorders for the Magpul AR-15 30-round magazine ("PMAG") have surpassed one million.

In a Facebook post dated today, January 9, Haus of Guns writes the following:

"Had breakfast with a buddy who has reasonably close ties to the Magpul family. Word is the great PMAG panic backorder of 2012/13 has topped 1 million at Magpul HQ."

Magpul is a designer and manufacturer of firearms accessories. The PMAG is one of their most popular products. It is a 30-round magazine designed for the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

Sales of firearms, ammunition and firearms accessories have surged in recent weeks over fears that the Obama administration will soon implement stricter gun laws.

Dianne Fenstien (D-Calif.) plans on introducing legislation that would ban military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Because the PMAG holds 30 rounds, it would fall under the definition of "high-capacity" in the Feinstein bill.

But, before any such legislation occurs, gun enthusiasts are scouring the nation to get their hands on what could be some of the last manufactured PMAGs.
Once they have sent the goverment $ and put in the national database we will all be safe.

I simply refuse to believe that the majority of responsible gun owners in this country are as extremist and paranoid as some of the posters in this thread represent them to be, especially Mr. Two Cents and Slingblade. Guess we'll find out fairly quickly...

I simply refuse to believe that the majority of responsible gun owners in this country are as extremist and paranoid as some of the posters in this thread represent them to be, especially Mr. Two Cents and Slingblade. Guess we'll find out fairly quickly...
This

yeah a per gun / annual tax aka penalty for owning something that we are rightfully entitled too will not fly

it's not the solution
You pay taxes on a whole host of things that you own.
You say that like its a good thing.
Don't think there was a hint of good or bad in my post. Just a fact.
It's just another reason why gun owners will not comply."So you want to know about every gun I own AND you want to charge me for telling you AND you want to tax me on each one I report on an annual basis?"

You are nutty if you think the next line out of their mouths will be "Where do I sign up?"

Seriously this is the War on Drugs 2.0, except now people will be looking to buy guns illegally instead of drugs to avoid all of this costly red tape.

I'm really curious if this were to go through what the penalty would be for someone defending their life as well as their family's life with an unregistered weapon in their home, a weapon that never left their home, and was solely there for self defense.

Now imagine if Bush had tried what Biden is talking about.....
Executive orders?They kept the warrantless wiretapping thing humming along for years, authorized torture of captured prisoners, and assassinations of suspected terrorists.

But ZOMG!!! Obama's going to make me register a gun!!!

Fwiw, I'm not sure where the executive power gets exactly circumscribed on this question. But it's naive to suggest the above.
not really. You're so delusional you gloss over the fact that Obama has done all of the above and expanded Bush's anti-terror measures to include his own private kill list of drone strike recipients. But since there's a D next to his name, not important anymore

This is what the gun grabbers (GGs) don't get. The GGs always think of guns in terms of cars. If a law gets passed that says you have to register your gun the GGs think of it like registering a car. Furthermore they think people are crazy if they disobey the law and not register their gun since they would be crazy to try to get away with this with their car. Well guess what? People aren't going around driving their guns around in the streets out in the open where Johnny Law can easily pull them over. Now that's not to say 100% of the gun owners won't comply, you'll get compliance just not anywhere near the numbers you are dreaming about.

Yes, by all means let's put an annual tax on gun ownership.We wouldn't want "those" poor people to be able to defend themselves!Sounds like veiled racism to me.And gun rights advocates are the extremists...

it's not the solution
It's just another reason why gun owners will not comply."So you want to know about every gun I own AND you want to charge me for telling you AND you want to tax me on each one I report on an annual basis?"

You are nutty if you think the next line out of their mouths will be "Where do I sign up?"

Seriously this is the War on Drugs 2.0, except now people will be looking to buy guns illegally instead of drugs to avoid all of this costly red tape.

I'm really curious if this were to go through what the penalty would be for someone defending their life as well as their family's life with an unregistered weapon in their home, a weapon that never left their home, and was solely there for self defense.
Prison. They are criminals for not registering their weapons.

it's not the solution

Prison. They are criminals for not registering their weapons.
:lmao: :lmao:

Novice, this is a very misleading sentence. I'm guessing she unloaded the revolver in a matter of 1 to 2 seconds. She probably kept pulling the trigger even after it was empty, as is often the case in high stress shootings even with law enforcement. There is no way he would have had time to beg before she was finished filling his face full of lead. If that we're your wife and kids wouldn't you wish she would have done the same. Even if you don't like guns you have to acknowledge this is exactly how these types of situations are hoped to go down.

Here are some facts regarding the private sales loophole from the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/guntrafficking#CityNY

PROBLEM: Weak U.S. gun laws make it easy for traffickers to divert guns from the legal market to the criminal market. Major trafficking channels include: 1) diversions directly from corrupt and negligent licensed gun dealers and 2) private sales exempt from Brady background checks at gun shows and elsewhere.DID YOU KNOW? Substantial numbers of guns are diverted from a relatively small number of corrupt and/or negligent gun dealers to the illegal market.

[*]Only 1 percent of gun dealers account for almost 60 percent of crime guns recovered by police and later traced (ATF, February 2000, p. A-23).

[*]94 percent of licensed dealers approached as part of undercover stings at gun shows in Ohio, Tennessee, and Nevada, completed sales to people who appeared to be criminals or straw purchasers (Mayors Against Illegal Guns, p. 7).

[*]A survey of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) trafficking investigations over an 18-month period showed:

- 40,365 guns trafficked directly by corrupt or negligent gun dealers (ATF, June 2000, p. 13)

- 25,741 guns trafficked by straw purchasers buying guns at corrupt or negligent gun dealers (ATF, June 2000, p. 13).

[*]In one year, at least 30,000 guns were “lost” out of gun dealer inventories (Brady Center, 2008).

[*]Many guns are recovered in crime shortly after their first retail purchase. Thirty-four (34) percent of crime guns recovered in 1999 had been purchased new at a gun dealer within the past 3 years. (Pierce, p. 38). A short “time-to-crime” is regarded by ATF as a strong indicator that a gun has been trafficked (ATF, February 2000, p. 22).

[*]Guns with a short “time-to-crime” are disproportionately represented among crime guns. Guns manufactured and sold 3 years prior to recovery by police in crime make up 34 percent of recovered and traced crime guns, but only 14 percent of the U.S. gunstock. (Pierce, p. 38).

[*]Guns sold as part of a multiple sale at a gun dealer (more than one gun at a time), were up to 64 percent more likely to be used in crime than guns not part of such sales (Koper, p. 6).

DID YOU KNOW? Private sales exempt from Brady background checks are a substantial problem in trafficking of guns from the legal to the illegal market:

[*]63 percent of private sellers approached as part of undercover stings at gun shows in Ohio, Tennessee, and Nevada, sold guns to purchasers who stated they probably could not pass a background check (Mayors Against Illegal Guns, p. 6).

[*]“No-check” sales account for an estimated 40 percent of gun sales in the U.S. (National Institute of Justice).

[*]ATF gun trafficking investigations revealed that over an 18-month period:

- Trafficking by unregulated private sellers accounted for 22,508 guns (ATF, June 2000, p. 13);

- Trafficking in firearms at gun shows and flea markets, where background checks are not required for every sale, accounted for 25,862 guns (ATF, June 2000, p. 13).

[*]You can see direct photographic and video evidence of assault weapons and other guns for sale without background checks at gun shows from multiple sources:

- Virginia Tech survivor Colin Goddard visited gun shows in the summer of 2009 and caught

.To see a diagram of gun trafficking, click here.

SOLUTION: We make it too easy for dangerous people to obtain dangerous weapons. There are only a few gun control laws on the books, and even those have loopholes. We should make it harder for convicted felons, the dangerously mentally ill, and youth to get the guns in the first place. We can do this by passing effective laws that make sense.

According to today's Washington Post:

Mr. Obama supports steps including reinstating a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines and closing loopholes that enable many gun buyers to avoid background checks. But the White House will likely recommend that Congress go further by requiring universal background checks for gun buyers and establishing a national gun database, reports CBS News White House correspondent Bill Plante. Senior administration officials tell CBS News the president is likely to unveil his ideas to reduce gun violence next week. He will also push his gun control agenda in his State of the Union address next month.

Not a fan of the ban, but major :thumbup: on the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread