What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

Johnny Manziel is correct. He should move on to another pursuit that does not involve football or, apparently, jumping off things into water.

You could say the guy has no one to blame but himself.

There is no question he is a talented football player who could play in the league. He got in the way of his own success. Showed clear immaturity as a leader in college (Switzer's immortalized "arrogant little #####" comment), and continued right through the draft, whether for the partying, tardiness to meetings, fines on the field for throwing up the bird to Washington's bench or censure from his team for being in a brawl in an apartment building in Cleveland, and losing at least half of his team (who referred to him as "a 100% joke").

I could say I put some of the blame on a culture that puts guys like Manziel on a pedestal as early as high school, idolizing the successful foootball QB, allowing him to believe in his own hype without reality checks, fostering an environment with little repercussion and all the indulgence and feeding into the ego as much as Manziel's ego demanded it.

At the end of the day we are all responsible for our actions. Rather than take his athletic gifts and the job he had seriously, he didn't, despite a few opportunities. And he lost both opportunity and respect.

I honestly think he was an alcoholic, and that's ruined many a man's sports career. Hopefully he still seeks help for his issues and is able to maintain peace in his own world.  

Manziel's going to wake up one day in middle age and wonder what he threw it all away for. Then again, he may have a moment where he reflects and realizes it was never really football that he wanted in the first place. He'll have to deal with issues of glory, excess, rises and falls, all of that. That's tough on a young man and as a middle-aged adult, even, to have been on the precipice of greatness and to have fallen down to the nadir of the mount. Tough life ahead, and one I don't envy. 

Manziel's going to wake up one day in middle age and wonder what he threw it all away for. Then again, he may have a moment where he reflects and realizes it was never really football that he wanted in the first place. He'll have to deal with issues of glory, excess, rises and falls, all of that. That's tough on a young man and as a middle-aged adult, even, to have been on the precipice of greatness and to have fallen down to the nadir of the mount. Tough life ahead, and one I don't envy. 

I dont think he had the physical ability to play in the NFL anyway. Wouldn't be the first great college QB to just not have what it takes to compete with the big boys.  Obviously he was a great runner but i think his passing numbers were inflated quite a bit due to Evans. There were a lot of broken plays and 50-50 balls where he (Evans) just made things happen.

And honestly.....I dont think he cares. Dude grew up rich and spoiled and his parents enabled his crappy attitude and his substance abuse.  A guy with his physical limitations needs to work even harder to make it at the highest level and he didn't have the motivation to do that knowing he had his parents' (and his, once he signed his deal) money as a safety net.

Once I read this article I knew he wasn't going to make it.  

I can't imagine this silly football "league" is going to turn out well for him, but he's a troubled guy with a lot of money and a competitive itch that probably can't be completely satisfied on the golf course.  So every once in a while, if given the opportunity, he'll drag himself out there and try to relive the glory days.

I dont think he had the physical ability to play in the NFL anyway.
I don't either. And it could be he knew that and just decided to go out in a blaze of ingloriousness. But he's still going to have to live with what was and what he became. It's going to be hard for an older man to admit that mistakes he made twenty years ago really cost him something. It's something every addict/alcoholic has to live with, especially on a stage as big as this was. The cost was great, the transgressions probably not worth it, all things considered. And that's a tough one to swallow. What'd you throw it away for? That? 

I know I just bumped this thread before anyone reminds me, but why is this guy still being discussed?
Don't know but when I saw the Manziel and Guice threads bumped to page one today my first thought was that they had died, been in a bad accident or got arrested.

Users who are viewing this thread