What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Mets vs. Royals World Series Thread *** KC Champs! (2 Viewers)

Raul Mondesi Jr., no pressure kid
Did not see that one coming.They weren't using Gore much, so dropping him wasn't a loss. But damn. AA to the Series. I got a little nervous typing that.

ETA: turns out the move was made because Zobrist's wife is nine months pregnant and might have the baby during the Series. Already carrying Dyson and Orlando as extra outfielders, so they could use another infielder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did not see that one coming.They weren't using Gore much, so dropping him wasn't a loss. But damn. AA to the Series. I got a little nervous typing that.
A second backup IF gives the Royals a little more positional flexibility in case of an injury or marathon game but having a player like Zobrist on the roster makes the 25th man less likely to factor. A pinch runner like Gore would normally be the shark move but Dyson makes him a bit redundant.

A second backup IF gives the Royals a little more positional flexibility in case of an injury or marathon game but having a player like Zobrist on the roster makes the 25th man less likely to factor. A pinch runner like Gore would normally be the shark move but Dyson makes him a bit redundant.
Last year they used both with Dyson running for Aoki and then taking over in CF (Cain moving to RF), leaving Gore available to run for Butler.This season, Paulo Orlando took over Dyson's role as late-inning PR/defense sub for the right fielder. Orlando doesn't have 80 speed like Dyson and Gore, but he's plenty speedy. He also can hit a pitched ball, a skill neither Dyson nor Gore have mastered at the major league level. So Dyson got demoted to Gore's role of designated runner for the designated hitter. (I also suspect Yost wanted to keep Cain in CF for more innings to get him a Gold Glove.). So as fun as as to have T-Baby on the postseason roster, he was mostly decorative at this point.

Anyone gonna try to get a ticket to a game?

My wife's birthday is Friday....trying to come up with a way to get her and I tickets and somehow make it seem like it's something she would want.
If prices come down a little, I might go Friday. $1k-$1200 is really my ceiling per ticket and I'm not paying that to sit in the upper deck in right field.If you want to sit behind the dugout, it's cheaper to fly to KC for the game than watching it here.
This is ####### unbelievable... There were Standing Room Only tickets in the $5's earlier, all gone, now SRO are in the $6's. Over 1500 tickets sold today, I don't think there will be any lower prices had for this one unless the Mets lose games 1 & 2.

I'm looking at left field - field level and they're prob about $2500 for two meh seats, hoping for a little cheaper. If it comes back to NY tied 1-1 or 2-0 Mets it might be even more.

Kind of a bummer.

He helped them avoid the Wild Card round
Whoa whoa whoa stop the clock.

Cueto started 13 games for the Royals, and his record was 4-7. KC's record in his 13 starts was 4-9. So if he'd been replaced by a garbage-plate like Vargas, and even if the Royals went 0-13 in those starts and he was a complete gas-can, they still would've out-paced Minnesota by 8 games.

KC more or less had the division in hand at the deadline, their chances of taking it home were north of 95% IIRC. I guess you could make the case that Cueto was the difference and got them HFA, but that HFA only would've come into play if they met Toronto in the ALCS (which they did of course) and it went 7 games (which it didn't).

Zobrist is great and he's obviously an upgrade. Cueto too, when healthy. But their impact is fairly minimal in terms of title equity.

I actually don't know if you can blame Yost, again, I don't think anyone know's Cueto's full story. Ventura and Young aren't reliable either. There just really aren't any great options, the best Yost can do is quickly yank Volquez if he starts tiring, which he has been doing a better job of.

Knowing what they did at the time, did the Royals do the right thing making that trade for Cueto?

ETA: point taken about the Royals division lead. I should have checked the standings on trade day before making that statement. I disagree with you about HFA, though: the home field was a huge advantage in Games 1 and 2. Changed the texture of the series.

IMO the outcome of the ALDS is different without Cueto, but there's probably a lot of pitchers who could set down 19 straight in the deciding game of a playoff series.

Knowing what they did at the time, did the Royals do the right thing making that trade for Cueto?

ETA: point taken about the Royals division lead. I should have checked the standings on trade day before making that statement. I disagree with you about HFA, though: the home field was a huge advantage in Games 1 and 2. Changed the texture of the series.
Absolutely. No matter what happens in the next week, you have to make the trade. The window for a small market team like KC is short and pennants fly forever. The Royals started Jeremy Guthrie in a game 7 last year and couldn't repeat that. The Royals' rotation needed help in late July and Cueto was the best pitching rental available. Vargas had just gotten hurt and Ventura was an injury away a trip to Omaha.

The pitchers they traded to the Reds could conceivably make the trade look bad years from now but that's always a risk. Maybe one of Finnegan, Lamb and Reed(?) turn out to be a useful mid-rotation SP but they're more likely to end up as Major League RPs. A post-season ace for a bag of LOOGYs seems like a fair trade to me.

Anyone gonna try to get a ticket to a game?

My wife's birthday is Friday....trying to come up with a way to get her and I tickets and somehow make it seem like it's something she would want.
If prices come down a little, I might go Friday. $1k-$1200 is really my ceiling per ticket and I'm not paying that to sit in the upper deck in right field.If you want to sit behind the dugout, it's cheaper to fly to KC for the game than watching it here.
This is ####### unbelievable... There were Standing Room Only tickets in the $5's earlier, all gone, now SRO are in the $6's. Over 1500 tickets sold today, I don't think there will be any lower prices had for this one unless the Mets lose games 1 & 2.

I'm looking at left field - field level and they're prob about $2500 for two meh seats, hoping for a little cheaper. If it comes back to NY tied 1-1 or 2-0 Mets it might be even more.

Kind of a bummer.
I'd rather do SRO over more expensive nose bleeds.

At least you can walk around for different and decent views.

IMO the outcome of the ALDS is different without Cueto, but there's probably a lot of pitchers who could set down 19 straight in the deciding game of a playoff series.
Their WS probability pre- and post- trade were near-identical. If getting HFA was important for the Toronto series, Cueto doing an impression of a batting-practice machine in G4 certainly overshadowed it. Maybe his jovial nature and neat hair helped encourage the team to victory in games 5 and 6, or maybe he gave a cool speech or something. But his results to-date with KC have been pretty lousy. Which is one of the inherent risks of trading for any star player, I suppose.

If KC is not going to spend money to stay competitive for the next few years and either re-sign Cueto, Zobrist, and Gordon (or similar players), then I guess it makes sense.#YOLO. But KC had the 16th highest opening-day payroll, and Eephus citing them as a "small market" team is, in 2015, almost completely irrelevant. Teams in the cities of New York, Houston, and Atlanta had lower opening day payrolls. It'd be more useful to think of teams as having "good cable deals" or "bad cable deals."

Their WS probability pre- and post- trade were near-identical. If getting HFA was important for the Toronto series, Cueto doing an impression of a batting-practice machine in G4 certainly overshadowed it. Maybe his jovial nature and neat hair helped encourage the team to victory in games 5 and 6, or maybe he gave a cool speech or something. But his results to-date with KC have been pretty lousy. Which is one of the inherent risks of trading for any star player, I suppose.

If KC is not going to spend money to stay competitive for the next few years and either re-sign Cueto, Zobrist, and Gordon (or similar players), then I guess it makes sense.#YOLO. But KC had the 16th highest opening-day payroll, and Eephus citing them as a "small market" team is, in 2015, almost completely irrelevant. Teams in the cities of New York, Houston, and Atlanta had lower opening day payrolls. It'd be more useful to think of teams as having "good cable deals" or "bad cable deals."
The Royals have one of the worst local TV deals in MLB. Their recent success at the box office helps but there isn't a lot of growth opportunity in local media revenues. They can certainly increase their payroll beyond the $100M-ish they were at this year but I don't see them getting much above the average team payroll until their TV contract comes up for renewal.

ETA: it's a little disingenuous to throw the Mets, Astros and Braves as small payroll teams. They all have unique reasons why their spending is down at the moment but all have had much bigger payrolls than KC in the recent past and will probably be outspending them again soon.

So, "no", then. Thanks.

####, back to the normal crew, "hips quick as elvis" and "his nitro zone"

Love me some Harold Reynolds, but overall? Send me back overseas! Please!!!

ugh, this sucks

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The father of Edinson Volquez, the starting pitcher for theKansas City Royals in Game 1 of the World Series, died Tuesday in the Dominican Republic, a family source told ESPNdeportes.com.

The source said Daniel Volquez, 63, died of complications from heart disease. The pitcher heard the news while on his way to Kauffman Stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread