What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Miami Dolphins 2014 Off/In Season (1 Viewer)

Hopefully Miami's new GM does a good job at evaluating talent in the Senior Bowl this week. What? Miami doesn't have a GM yet?

I'm sure Ross is hard at work interviewing candidates and not hanging out in the UK....... http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2014/01/19/is-miami-dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-heading-to-london-and-china-during-gm-search/
"The Dolphins do not release Ross' schedule publicly." Now this is the same Dolphins and Ross that said this http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/11/09/Franchises/Dolphins.aspx

Ross wanted the Dolphins to be “as transparent with fans as possible"

I stand behind your dumpster fire comment earlier in the thread, you nailed it.

Licht from Arizona who was a GM candidate for Miami has been hired by the TB Bucs so cross him off the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Licht from Arizona who was a GM candidate for Miami has been hired by the TB Bucs so cross him off the list.
Why would a guy who could get a real GM job take Miami's? This structure all but ensures that you get only candidates at the bottom of the barrel.

Trying to decide on whether or not to keep Lamar Miller at a 4th round price next year. Initially I wasn't even considering it, but will the new OC make a difference?

Trying to decide on whether or not to keep Lamar Miller at a 4th round price next year. Initially I wasn't even considering it, but will the new OC make a difference?
Doesnt seem like much of a value. I suspect that you could draft him in the 4th round or later of a 12-16 team league after the season he just put up, with all of the uncertainty in Miami. Especially with all of the highly touted rookie RBs entering the league next year. Sherman didnt use Miller well, but Miller also was not impressive enough to keep the Fins from trying to replace him next year. He cant break a tackle, and there were several times when he chose the cut in the wrong direction when there appeared to be daylight elsewhere. There were a lot of these instances, but one stood out in Cincinnati when he broke off a long run into the secondary. Cut outside was a walk-in TD. Inside was a strip-fumble. Guess which way he went.

I think he is a Jaquizz type player who holds value, but is not a featured starter. Doesnt seem to have the ability or instincts to get 20 carries a game.

At least we apparently kept the guy who was right on the LT call, and got rid of the guy who thought Jonathan Martin was the answer...

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcfxT?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=miami-dolphins

Dolphins GM Ireland overruled Philbin on Albert trade, wanted Martin at left tackle by Andrew Abramson Branden Albert (Getty Images) MOBILE, Ala– The Dolphins can sign Pro Bowl Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert in the offseason, but it could cost up to $9 million a season and $25 million guaranteed to lure the impending free agent. However, according to a source, Coach Joe Philbin wanted the Dolphins to trade for Albert last offseason. And then-GM Jeff Ireland overruled it. Ireland told Philbin that the Dolphins would be fine moving Jonathan Martin to left tackle. Martin, who played right tackle for the Dolphins as a rookie, mostly struggled this season on the left side. The Dolphins moved him back to right tackle after they benched Tyson Clabo and traded for Bryant McKinnie midway through the year. A week later, Martin left the team and created a firestorm by accusing teammate Richie Incognito and other Dolphins players of harassing him. The case is still being investigated by the NFL. Miami’s offensive line allowed a franchise-record 58 sacks this year. It might have been a different story with Albert. If the Dolphins don’t sign a left tackle this offseason, they might be hard-pressed to find one with the No. 19 overall selection who can step up and make an immediate impact. Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio or Notre Dame’s Zack Martin have been projected as potential Dolphins selections. Miami could draft one of those players and put him at right tackle while re-signing McKinnie and letting the new tackle develop. But McKinnie will be 35 next season and struggled down the stretch for Miami. - See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2014/01/21/source-former-dolphins-gm-ireland-overruled-philbin-on-albert-trade-wanted-martin-at-left-tackle/#sthash.Alushh4a.dpuf

Hopefully Miami's new GM does a good job at evaluating talent in the Senior Bowl this week. What? Miami doesn't have a GM yet?

I'm sure Ross is hard at work interviewing candidates and not hanging out in the UK....... http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2014/01/19/is-miami-dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-heading-to-london-and-china-during-gm-search/
Oh, no coaches there either. Fantastic....
In Detroit they are talking like Xanders is a done deal being gone to Miami, he helped them have a good draft for a change last year.

It's one thing to root for a team that takes gambles that don't work out, but this organization has just handled everything so poorly since Ross bought the team. Flirting with Harbaugh while Sparano was still the coach, getting rebuffed and extending Sparano only to fire him a year later. Not getting rid of Ireland when we got rid of Sparano. Getting rid of Ireland and not getting rid of Philbin. Allowing Dawn Aponte to subvert the reporting structure (and get it changed). The crazy structure that's causing the prime candidates to view this as a no-win situation for them and decline. That this team was even in playoff contention seems like a massive overachievement given the three ring circus going on in upper management. I can't think of a single thing Ross has done that's been positive. It's hard enough to win a super bowl when you're making good decisions and it seem all but impossible when you can't get the basics right. Frustrating time to be a Miami fan right now.

i feel like i'm walking in quick sand being a fan of this team. not to mention psychologically damaging my 10 year old son as he has rooted for them since he was born.

The dumpster fire is definitely ablaze.

From Rotoworld...

Browns assistant GM Ray Farmer has removed himself from consideration for the Dolphins' general-manager vacancy.
Maybe you could be the next GM of the Dolphins. The Dolphins have now swung and missed on their top two candidates to replace Jeff Ireland. Jason Licht took the same job with the Bucs, while Farmer has decided he'd rather work for a team with an owner under federal investigation. Candidates clearly aren't liking the power "structure" they're encountering in Miami. Owner Stephen Ross has made a hot mess of things by refusing to let his candidates have final say on the head coach, and making it unclear who indeed has final say on anything. Internal candidate Brian Gaine is now the Dolphins' only legitimate option. Maybe they'll re-hire Ireland.

From Rotoworld...

Browns assistant GM Ray Farmer has removed himself from consideration for the Dolphins' general-manager vacancy.
Maybe you could be the next GM of the Dolphins. The Dolphins have now swung and missed on their top two candidates to replace Jeff Ireland. Jason Licht took the same job with the Bucs, while Farmer has decided he'd rather work for a team with an owner under federal investigation. Candidates clearly aren't liking the power "structure" they're encountering in Miami. Owner Stephen Ross has made a hot mess of things by refusing to let his candidates have final say on the head coach, and making it unclear who indeed has final say on anything. Internal candidate Brian Gaine is now the Dolphins' only legitimate option. Maybe they'll re-hire Ireland.
:lmao:

I know that I read somewhere that Ross was(is) planning on having an advisory board made up of Shula, Marino, Cris Carter, Tony Dungy and a couple others I have forgotten. Did I dream this and if not does anyone else know what is going on with this?

That was in response to the hot mess known as bullygate.

This is a complete cluster ####. I may have to adopt a new team.....I really can't take this owner anymore. It's one big ####### joke. What a mockery he has made of our once beloved franchise. Minortiy owners who are celebreties, the orange carpet, club Liv at the stadium, the Jimmy Buffut song debacle, and of course the wonderful staff he has put together since he took over.

A complete mess.

I know that I read somewhere that Ross was(is) planning on having an advisory board made up of Shula, Marino, Cris Carter, Tony Dungy and a couple others I have forgotten. Did I dream this and if not does anyone else know what is going on with this?
They all removed themselves from consideration.

From Rotoworld...

We have now been rejected by someone from within the Cleveland Browns…the Browns!!!

Maybe you could be the next GM of the Dolphins. The Dolphins have now swung and missed on their top two candidates to replace Jeff Ireland.
Jason Licht took the same job with the Bucs, while Farmer has decided he'd rather work for a team with an owner under federal investigation.

A chance to get away from this mess in the tropical lush confines of South Florida and miles of beaches…nope.

Candidates clearly aren't liking the power "structure" they're encountering in Miami. :help:

Owner Stephen Ross has made a hot mess of things by refusing to let his candidates have final say on the head coach, and making it unclear who indeed has final say on anything.

Internal candidate Brian Gaine is now the Dolphins' only legitimate option. Maybe they'll re-hire Ireland.
And now all they can do is promote a do boy within the organization who understands this bizarre mess.

From the Miami Herald:

"Multiple candidates have complained privately that they can’t get a straight answer that they wouldn’t have to report to Aponte. That would apparently run counter to what Ross said at the outset of the search, when he pledged that the new GM would have control of the roster and report directly to the owner.

Furthermore, Aponte’s control over the budget could affect who the next general manager would be able to re-sign or target in free agency."

So it seems that whoever is hired, the new GM would be, in fact, Dawn Aponte...

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/24/3889206/miami-dolphins-gm-candidate-ray.html#storylink=cpy

I am done......just done.

So let's talk about who we should adopt as a new team.....because as long as this bafoon of an owner is still around, I can't in good sound state of heart and mind back this team anymore.

The Aqua and Orange have been stained in diarrhea.

So......let's talk new teams fellow suffering Fin's fans. It's time to move on......it really is. #### this circus.....just #### them all.

So let's talk about who we should adopt as a new team.....because as long as this bafoon of an owner is still around, I can't in good sound state of heart and mind back this team anymore.

So......let's talk new teams fellow suffering Fin's fans. It's time to move on......it really is. #### this circus.....just #### them all.
List of things we will be looking for should we venture away from the orange n blue(I root for the Bucs and have since I lived in Tampa Bay from 1992-2000. I would say I have a 2nd team and could slide that way but they haven't exactly been functional lately. The SB in 2002 was bittersweet, I was more happy for the good folks in TB more than being part of a team(fan base) that won a SB. I have justified it because they are in the NFC.

Things a Phinsfan would be looking for...

1. A strong and structured front office that can function.

2. A top 10 QB for the foreseeable future.

3. A team that does not run thru coaches very 2-3 years.

That's a start.

I'll also add that watching the Bucs get turned around from the time Dungy arrived up thru Gruden's 1st season was an amazing ride and it's the big reason I defend Dungy tooth n nail when it comes to HoF balloting for him. I hope Miami find a savior one day. They did back in the late 60s/early 70s in Shula.

Wish this were possible for me. I really do. How do you root for team as a die-hard fan for 40 years, and then all of a sudden switch allegiances completely? How disingenuous would it be for me to tell my friends and family that I am now a Seattle Seahawks fan, because I want to root for a functional team? It would appear to be exactly what it is...a bandwagon jump.

My brother in law is an Eagles fan. I tried to want to root for them with him, but I didn't care at all when they lost to the Saints. They are not my team. I live right outside of Baltimore. Now would be a good time to jump on that wagon since it is a solid organization coming off of a bad season, and would not feel like such a bandwagon jump. If they were not in the AFC, I could see myself adopting them, but if I were going to switch, it would probably have to be out of conference.

Its tough after 40+ years. I hate my favorite team, but I cannot see loving another.

You serious or just being a drama queen?

Wish this were possible for me. I really do. How do you root for team as a die-hard fan for 40 years, and then all of a sudden switch allegiances completely? How disingenuous would it be for me to tell my friends and family that I am now a Seattle Seahawks fan, because I want to root for a functional team? It would appear to be exactly what it is...a bandwagon jump.

My brother in law is an Eagles fan. I tried to want to root for them with him, but I didn't care at all when they lost to the Saints. They are not my team. I live right outside of Baltimore. Now would be a good time to jump on that wagon since it is a solid organization coming off of a bad season, and would not feel like such a bandwagon jump. If they were not in the AFC, I could see myself adopting them, but if I were going to switch, it would probably have to be out of conference.

Its tough after 40+ years. I hate my favorite team, but I cannot see loving another.
I am venting.......I will never leave. I am just so frustrated.

If they were fun to watch....I would not care as much. Hell when Marino went through some tough years in 86, 87, 88 and 89 at least we had the beauty, passion and fire of Marino slinging the rock every Sunday. Knowing we had a stud who can carry the team and give us hope of a win is so huge.

Do ever get that feeling with Tannehill? Ever? God I hope he takes the next step in 2014.....but I am not holding my breath.

Ever since Marino retired this team has been painful to watch. Just downright painful.

Ministry of Pain said:
Todem said:

List of things we will be looking for should we venture away from the orange n blue(I root for the Bucs and have since I lived in Tampa Bay from 1992-2000. I would say I have a 2nd team and could slide that way but they haven't exactly been functional lately. The SB in 2002 was bittersweet, I was more happy for the good folks in TB more than being part of a team(fan base) that won a SB. I have justified it because they are in the NFC.

Things a Phinsfan would be looking for...

1. A strong and structured front office that can function.

2. A top 10 QB for the foreseeable future.

3. A team that does not run thru coaches very 2-3 years.

That's a start.

I'll also add that watching the Bucs get turned around from the time Dungy arrived up thru Gruden's 1st season was an amazing ride and it's the big reason I defend Dungy tooth n nail when it comes to HoF balloting for him. I hope Miami find a savior one day. They did back in the late 60s/early 70s in Shula.
Looks like it's time to become a Colts fan then.

Looks like it's time to become a Colts fan then.
I wanted to when Dungy was coaching there as I was a fan of his in Tampa when I was living there and rooting for the Bucs. I had season tickets and even enjoyed the locals take on the then new stadium in the late 90s…C.I.T.S. or the Community Investment Tax Stadium, refused to call it Raymond James.

Indy was an easy one when they got Luck, you figure they should be solid for the next 10 years whether they win a SB or not, I tend to think they will.

It brings up another point. The die is cast for some teams and when Miami had a chance to really stink it up and get into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, we started off 0-7 that year…what did we do? We managed to fight back and win 6 of the remaining 9 I believe when we could have tanked and had Andrew Luck…you better believe if I owned the team I would have ensured an 0-16 campaign at that point. This team can't even frack up correctly and just lose on years when they would find a much needed QB for their problems. Instead we picked at #7 and got Tannehill.

Tannehill vs Luck is what we were left with…6 draft slots back.

I just see nothing to indicate this team is going to change any time soon. You had a hard time getting coaches and GMs here, wait till Miami has to try and get a FA to sign a little under market value, never gonna happen. You can't sell a player to take less here in the hopes of winning a championship.

FYI: I loved when the Bucs won the SB but it didn't feel like I had hoped it would. Even rooting for them back in the Sam Wyche era to what they became, it still wasn't the team I grew up with.

Miami Dolphins GM candidate Ray Farmer withdraws from consideration

Ray Farmer withdrew from consideration for Miami’s GM job because he apparently had concerns about the team’s structure.
43lD7.Em.56.jpg

Cleveland Browns assistant general manager Ray Farmer. FILE PHOTO
Related Content BY ADAM H. BEASLEY ABEASLEY@MIAMIHERALD.COMConcerns over the Miami Dolphins’ front office power structure are very real, and apparently cost the team one of its leading candidates — if not the front-runner altogether — for its general manager job.

Ray Farmer, seen as the likely successor to Jeff Ireland by many both inside and outside of the search, has removed his name from the running. Browns CEO Joe Banner told reporters Thursday night that Farmer, currently the Browns’ assistant GM, will remain in Cleveland.

That’s a remarkable turnaround in the course of 24 hours, when many believed he would end up in Miami.

Another candidate who sat for an interview believed Thursday that Farmer would get the job because Carl Peterson, who's running the search, is said to be enamored with him.

John Wooten, who heads an organization committed to promoting minority coaching and general manager candidates, explained Farmer’s reluctance to participate in a second interview.

“He has reservations about the structure of the Dolphins,” Wooten said. “He’s not certain who would be running things, whether it would be him or someone else. I told him the only way you can find out is to take the second interview and get the answer.”

Farmer ultimately rejected Wooten’s advice.

Farmer’s main issue is with the amount of power Stephen Ross has granted executive vice president Dawn Aponte, according to a source close to the situation.

Multiple candidates have complained privately that they can’t get a straight answer that they wouldn’t have to report to Aponte. That would apparently run counter to what Ross said at the outset of the search, when he pledged that the new GM would have control of the roster and report directly to the owner.

Furthermore, Aponte’s control over the budget could affect who the next general manager would be able to re-sign or target in free agency.

Ross has said that he wants a candidate who is comfortable as a team player. Ireland had issues with Aponte and coach Joe Philbin late in the 2013 season, ultimately contributing to Ireland’s departure.

Brian Gaine and Lake Dawson apparently are fine with the situation. Both have agreed to a final round of interviews, the Miami Herald has learned.

Gaine should come as no surprise; most believed he would be a finalist after leading the Dolphins’ operation at the Senior Bowl this week. He’s Miami’s assistant general manager who remained in place even after Ireland’s departure.

Dawson is a more of a curve ball. However, the Titans’ vice president of player personnel is said to have had an impressive interview when he met with Ross two weeks ago.

Dawson, 42, also benefits from his ties to Peterson, who took the then-wide receiver in the third round of the NFL Draft in 1994. Dawson played six seasons in the league before joining the Seahawks‘ front office in 2001.

In Tennessee, Dawson also has served as director of college scouting and vice president of football operations.

The Dolphins also could consider Buccaneers director of player personnel Dennis Hickey, who also interviewed well.

Jason Licht, who the Dolphins wanted back as a finalist, became unavailable after taking the Tampa Bay GM job.

Even before the Farmer development, Miami already had four prospective candidates decline even a preliminary interview.

One league source acutely familiar with personnel matters endorsed Gaine as the best of the bunch that remains.

Miami Herald sportswriters Armando Salguero and Barry Jackson contributed to this report.

READ MORE MIAMI DOLPHINS STORIES FROM THE MIAMI HERALD
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/24/3889206/miami-dolphins-gm-candidate-ray.html#storylink=cpy

Grew up with Ray in a small town in NC and played baseball with him. Was really rooting for him to be a GM but maybe Miami isn't the right place.

Second interwiew today for Pats' Nick Caserio.

Hope we hire him, but something tells me that it won't happen...

Mike63 said:
Second interwiew today for Pats' Nick Caserio.

Hope we hire him, but something tells me that it won't happen...
Miami offered him the job after a second interview, he declined. :lmao:

Miami hired Hickey from the Buccaneers.

Don't know this guy well, but I guess it's better than promoting Gaine

Am I the only fan who's not ready to take a bridge yet?

I mean the process was an abomination without a doubt but I like what I've read about Lazur as OC. As for GM, who the hell really knows?? Give him a chance in the role before we bury him. Most GMs are throwing darts for the most part anyway. As long as we don't get hamstrung with any terrible FA signings it is what it is.

Hickey had a pretty good reputation in Tampa. It's impossible to say what coach, scout, or front office guy is responsible for what, but he must of been doing something right to hang around for so long. He has experience under several coaches & prominent front office people. Bruce Allen, Rich McKay, Jerry Angelo, etc. He has worked with coaches like Gruden, Dungy, Tomlin, Movie, etc. Pretty much the same as Mark Dominick's resume, whom I am sure he will extend a job to.

I wouldn't look too deep into the fact that he wasn't interviewed for the Bucs GM. Again, he was tied too close to Dominick and the Bucs wanted to make big changes.

Am I the only fan who's not ready to take a bridge yet?

I mean the process was an abomination without a doubt but I like what I've read about Lazur as OC. As for GM, who the hell really knows?? Give him a chance in the role before we bury him. Most GMs are throwing darts for the most part anyway. As long as we don't get hamstrung with any terrible FA signings it is what it is.
The franchise has turned into a laughing stock because it repeatedly uses poorly thought out processes (in fact, they look not-at-all thought out, reactionary even a lot of the time). This isn't the first time, or the second or the third ... every time Ross is involved in a decision for this franchise, it's poorly though out half measure response made from a position of weakness because he finds himself painted into a corner by previous poor choices. There's a reputation that's being developed here and it's 100% earned. That reputation (and even worse, dysfunction that we can't see from the outside) is why 4 people turned down an offer to interview at all, 1 person turned down the opportunity for a second interview and 2 people turned down the actual job. This process was not successful, maybe Hickey is great talent but if he is, it won't be because Ross has a nose for talent (he was, at the very least, the third choice), it'll be because he backed into a good situation despite handling it so poorly. When you're in a position of hoping that luck will bail you out of a history of bad decisions this time, there's plenty of reason for concern about the future. As a Dolphins fan, I'm very concerned about the future and have very little hope that Ross will be a part of a successful future (I hope I'm wrong).

Hickey had a pretty good reputation in Tampa. It's impossible to say what coach, scout, or front office guy is responsible for what, but he must of been doing something right to hang around for so long. He has experience under several coaches & prominent front office people. Bruce Allen, Rich McKay, Jerry Angelo, etc. He has worked with coaches like Gruden, Dungy, Tomlin, Movie, etc. Pretty much the same as Mark Dominick's resume, whom I am sure he will extend a job to.

I wouldn't look too deep into the fact that he wasn't interviewed for the Bucs GM. Again, he was tied too close to Dominick and the Bucs wanted to make big changes.
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 9m

Real red flag with Hickey is that the Bucs didn't even interview him for their GM spot. Hickey and Lovie Smith worked together for 5 years.
Don't know much about Hickey, but everything I hear is that he won't have permission to fire Philbin either this or next year, and Philbin is getting final say on player personnel. Why not just give the job to Philbin and make Hickey asst GM?

None of the other GM candidates willing to work with/under Aponte. Didn't bother Hickey much anyway. Hickey was last man standing. What a trainwreck!

Users who are viewing this thread