What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Miami Dolphins 2014 Off/In Season (1 Viewer)

At the end of the meeting, however, sources said Philbin expressed his belief that Martin's agents were responsible for Miami's locker room controversy reaching this point, that they were the real problem and alluding that Martin's concerns could have been kept more private and handled differently.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24456613/dolphins-wanted-jonathan-martin-back-his-agents-rebuffed-offer

Philbin had navigated this so well up til now.
"Staring Daggers" was in that report I believe as well.
Yes, it was.

And to answer Slapdash, Philbin not being fired took a lot of skillful navigation (or some compromising photos) on his part. I assumed he'd be gone by now. It just seems odd that he was able to tiptoe through the whole Incognito-Martin minefield, still be head coach, and then say a jerk thing like that at a "patch things up as best we can with Martin and move on" meeting.

Of course now there's a report that the account of him saying that is inaccurate.

At the end of the meeting, however, sources said Philbin expressed his belief that Martin's agents were responsible for Miami's locker room controversy reaching this point, that they were the real problem and alluding that Martin's concerns could have been kept more private and handled differently.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24456613/dolphins-wanted-jonathan-martin-back-his-agents-rebuffed-offer

Philbin had navigated this so well up til now.
"Staring Daggers" was in that report I believe as well.
Yes, it was.

And to answer Slapdash, Philbin not being fired took a lot of skillful navigation (or some compromising photos) on his part. I assumed he'd be gone by now. It just seems odd that he was able to tiptoe through the whole Incognito-Martin minefield, still be head coach, and then say a jerk thing like that at a "patch things up as best we can with Martin and move on" meeting.

Of course now there's a report that the account of him saying that is inaccurate.
You're forgetting the possibility that Ross is completely incompetent.

Mike Pouncey - C - Dolphins
New Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey is standing behind embattled C Mike Pouncey.
"Pouncey is an excellent player," Hickey said in a Thursday radio interview. "I’ve had good conversations with him in the last month. I’m excited about the future." Pouncey came off very poorly in the Ted Wells Report, but the Dolphins aren't about to move on from one of the league's better centers. One consequence, however, is that Pouncey is less likely to get an extension heading into the final year of his rookie contract.

Brent Grimes - DB - Dolphins
GM Dennis Hickey is "optimistic" the Dolphins will re-sign free agent Brent Grimes.
Hickey's comments come three days after Grimes said he was "pretty optimistic" he'd be back. The Miami Herald reported earlier this week that talks were going in circles, but where there's a will, there's usually a way. The market's top corner has an excellent shot at staying in Miami.

Source: Miami Herald
Feb 27 - 5:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Citing "numerous" league sources and NFL executives, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins "might also be open to dealing" Cameron Wake and Mike Wallace.
If La Canfora's sources are to be trusted, the Dolphins are open to a full-on firesale under rookie GM Dennis Hickey, as 2013 No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan is also said to be available. Miami would absorb an over-$5 million cap penalty to deal Jordan, but would clear room by trading Wallace and/or Wake. (No one is going to trade for Wallace's mammoth contract, of course.) La Canfora's story, accessible at the link below, indicates Hickey intends to invest heavily in the talented 2014 draft, and is willing to part with big-name players in order to load up on picks. Ex-GM Jeff Ireland's 2013 offseason "master plan" blew up tremendously during the regular season, and looks worse and worse by the day.

Related: Mike Wallace

Source: CBS Sports
Eagles coach Chip Kelly stated after last year's draft that Philly "very heavily" considered selecting Dion Jordan with the No. 4 overall pick, until he was scooped up by Miami at No. 3.
The Fins likely knew of Kelly's interest -- Jordan played for him at Oregon -- and moved directly in front of the Eagles to nab him. "The guy that went No. 3, we were considering very heavily but didn’t get the chance to pull the trigger on that one," stated Kelly in a post-draft press conference. This should fan the flames of Philadelphia's already rumored interest in Jordan, whom CBS Sports reported Friday has essentially been placed on the trade block by Miami.

Related: Eagles

Source: Sheil Kapadia on Twitter
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins are "gauging trade value" for 2013 No. 3 overall draft pick Dion Jordan.
In a deal made by ex-GM Jeff Ireland, Miami sent the Nos. 12 and 42 overall picks to Oakland during last year's draft to land Jordan at No. 3. Fins DC Kevin Coyle, who remains on staff, struggled to find a position fit for Jordan despite freakish athletic tools, as he only played 330 snaps on defense. Jordan's trade value after a disappointing rookie year is unclear, but his contract would be easy to fit under another team's salary cap, and he's a high-ceiling 24-year-old athlete. We suspect he could fetch a second-round pick, even if "giving up" on Jordan after one year would be a spectacular embarrassment to the franchise.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Citing "numerous" league sources and NFL executives, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins "might also be open to dealing" Cameron Wake and Mike Wallace.
If La Canfora's sources are to be trusted, the Dolphins are open to a full-on firesale under rookie GM Dennis Hickey, as 2013 No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan is also said to be available. Miami would absorb an over-$5 million cap penalty to deal Jordan, but would clear room by trading Wallace and/or Wake. (No one is going to trade for Wallace's mammoth contract, of course.) La Canfora's story, accessible at the link below, indicates Hickey intends to invest heavily in the talented 2014 draft, and is willing to part with big-name players in order to load up on picks. Ex-GM Jeff Ireland's 2013 offseason "master plan" blew up tremendously during the regular season, and looks worse and worse by the day.

Related: Mike Wallace

Source: CBS Sports
Eagles coach Chip Kelly stated after last year's draft that Philly "very heavily" considered selecting Dion Jordan with the No. 4 overall pick, until he was scooped up by Miami at No. 3.
The Fins likely knew of Kelly's interest -- Jordan played for him at Oregon -- and moved directly in front of the Eagles to nab him. "The guy that went No. 3, we were considering very heavily but didn’t get the chance to pull the trigger on that one," stated Kelly in a post-draft press conference. This should fan the flames of Philadelphia's already rumored interest in Jordan, whom CBS Sports reported Friday has essentially been placed on the trade block by Miami.

Related: Eagles

Source: Sheil Kapadia on Twitter
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins are "gauging trade value" for 2013 No. 3 overall draft pick Dion Jordan.
In a deal made by ex-GM Jeff Ireland, Miami sent the Nos. 12 and 42 overall picks to Oakland during last year's draft to land Jordan at No. 3. Fins DC Kevin Coyle, who remains on staff, struggled to find a position fit for Jordan despite freakish athletic tools, as he only played 330 snaps on defense. Jordan's trade value after a disappointing rookie year is unclear, but his contract would be easy to fit under another team's salary cap, and he's a high-ceiling 24-year-old athlete. We suspect he could fetch a second-round pick, even if "giving up" on Jordan after one year would be a spectacular embarrassment to the franchise.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
"We suspect he could fetch a second-round pick"

Isnt that just special. Lets draft a guy 3rd overall, not give him a chance to play, and then trade him for a 2nd round pick at age 24 one year later? Typical of this team...but I still dont believe it will happen...he warrants a first rounder plus IMO, or I dont think we should trade him. You cant just give up on a guy after one season that your franchise trusted enough to take 3rd overall less than a year ago. I dont care if it is a new GM, the franchise paid a hefty price for the guy, and getting a 2nd round pick back for him when we traded a second AND a first to draft him just puts an explanation point on the word "dysfunctional!".

you guys take pick 31 for wake?
In this draft, yes, I think I would be OK with that. He is 32, and I dont think we will realistically contend for a title in the next 2 years, so while I would hate to trade away a great player for an unknown, his window is probably not going to work with the team's window. This draft is so deep, that 31 seems like the equivalent of around 20 in most recent drafts.

4 years for $32mm with only $16mm [SIZE=10pt]guaranteed. Essentially a 2 year deal. [/SIZE]
EZ signing IMO. Best CB they have had since...Sam Madison/Patrick Surtain in their prime? Troy Vincent?

I guess neither DT was an option for the franchise tag? Demitri Patterson and Matt Moore are taking up about $10M, how many snaps between the two of them last season? I'm good with getting another young arm to develop behind Thill and letting Moore go elsewhere. Also would like to see an upgrade at RB but until that OL has been worked out, probably a waste of money.

4 years for $32mm with only $16mm [SIZE=10pt]guaranteed. Essentially a 2 year deal. [/SIZE]
EZ signing IMO. Best CB they have had since...Sam Madison/Patrick Surtain in their prime? Troy Vincent?

I guess neither DT was an option for the franchise tag? Demitri Patterson and Matt Moore are taking up about $10M, how many snaps between the two of them last season? I'm good with getting another young arm to develop behind Thill and letting Moore go elsewhere. Also would like to see an upgrade at RB but until that OL has been worked out, probably a waste of money.
Right on. I'd like to have Patterson back, but at about half of what we are paying him. Maybe with incentives. Good player...just doesnt play much.

Moore is also a good player, but we are paying too much for a backup QB. I could see paying a backup that kind of money maybe if you were a true contender, and he could keep you as such if your starter went down, but thats not us. Better off getting another young arm - like you said, and if Tannehill goes down maybe you uncover the next Romo or Brady...and if not, which is obviously the far more likely scenario maybe you go 6-10 instead of 7-9 or 8-8. If Tannehill goes down, its not like Matt Moore is good enough to carry us to glory, so why pay so much for him?

Devlin has always looked pretty good when I have seen him, albeit that is always in meaningless preseason games. Would obviously prefer to see 17 stay healthy and play well, but if not, might be good to see what Devlin can do with live bullets flying. Especially if it fees up $3M for us to use toward putting a big body in front of him.

So are they going to let Starks and Soliai walk?
My question exactly. Starks hates this organization and wants out so I was hoping Soliai would re-sign.Miami got him on a 2yr $12M deal last time.

Starks would argue with the sideline coaches from the field. Miami franchised him last season.

I'm fine letting Moore walk. As others have said, roll the dice on Tannehill staying healthy. If he doesn't, then oh well it's not like Moore is going to do anything other than make our draft pick a little worse anyhow.

I'd prefer to keep Wake. It's not like we have made good use of our picks when they're in the top 15 so I've little faith that they'll do much better with something around 30. This isn't a terrible team, not much worse perceptively than Baltimore/NYG were in the offseason going into their Super Bowl years. The NFL is crazy, and if Tannehill turns the corner or gets hot at the right time a la Flacco/Eli in their Super Bowl years then we're really going to want to have Wake.

Some positivity for a change. Particularly where he (Grimes) discusses the locker room. This guy could have picked his spot for the most part, and gotten similar compensation from any number of other teams, and chose to stay in Miami. From PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/06/grimes-has-a-simple-pitch-for-free-agents-considering-the-dolphins/

It wasn’t hard for Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes to choose to stay in Miami. (Then again, they gave him a four-year, $32 million with $16 million that is, per a league source, fully and completely guaranteed.)

At a time when the Dolphins are deemed to be dysfunctional and undesirable, Grimes has a simple pitch for guys throughout the NFL who are about to have options.

“It’s Miami,” Grimes recently explained on PFT Live. “There really isn’t much else to say. Outside of being in Miami and being able to go to the beach throughout the year, in January and February, if you just look at our roster, it’s a lot of talent on this roster. We went 8-8 last year but we were in a lot of close games. And we’re right there. And if just look at the talent on the roster from top to bottom, you’ll see that there’s a lot of people that can play. There’s a lot of opportunities to become an even better team and win a few more games and get in the playoffs.”

One guy who may not want to come back is tackle Jonathan Martin. And it’s unclear whether he’s wanted back.

“That’s not something I really want to talk about,” Grimes said. “I don’t really have a say in it. I’m not the General Manager, I’m not [owner] Stephen Ross. I really can’t decide what’s they’re going to do. If they decide to bring him back then as a football player on the Miami Dolphins, he’s my teammate and we’re going to go out on Sundays and play football together. That’s just what it is.”

So what happens if he returns?

“It would be different, it would be weird because he was gone and a lot of stuff happened, he was gone and then to just show back up it would be weird,” Grimes said.

Regardless, Grimes thinks all is well with the Dolphins.

“Everybody that’s not around has so much bad stuff to say about the Dolphins organization and all this, how the locker room is fractured and all that type of stuff,” Grimes said. “But me being in the locker room and also being in other locker rooms, it’s a tight-knit locker room. Everybody’s cool, it’s a cool locker room to me.”

It’s also a locker room where Grimes will be for the next few years, thanks to a $6 million signing bonus, a $2.475 million fully-guaranteed base salary in 2014, and $7.525 million in fully-guaranteed base salary in 2015.

Seems like Miami has enough money to go after some top players. Who do y'all think is likely? A LT like Monroe?

Seems like Miami has enough money to go after some top players. Who do y'all think is likely? A LT like Monroe?
Think they have to be a player in the premiere LT market. Probably will have to overpay. Monroe, Veldheer, Albert, Collins...in that order IMO. Get one, then we have a bit more luxury to take BPA at 19, then refocus on OL in 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

We also need a safety with Clemons possibly moving on, and maybe a DT if Starks and Soliai both leave. Jairus Byrd would be sweet paired with Reshad, but really expensive.

Sucks, but I think we also need a RB. Lamar looks more like a compliment than a feature back. MJD? Tate? Blount? Hate to pay a non-elite RB gobs of money...so maybe look for one in the draft on day 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately they've had the money to go after the top players each of the last few seasons. Problem is a mix of them overspending on guys that aren't top players and good players suddenly not playing well when they get under the wings of the Miami coaching staff.

Unfortunately they've had the money to go after the top players each of the last few seasons. Problem is a mix of them overspending on guys that aren't top players and good players suddenly not playing well when they get under the wings of the Miami coaching staff.
Yeah, the bold has been the biggest issue.

I'd say that Miami is going to have to get one or two starters on the OL through free agency, probably LT. Given the lack of talent out there, they'll also need to overpay.

Think they have to be a player in the premiere LT market. Probably will have to overpay. Monroe, Veldheer, Albert, Collins...in that order IMO. Get one, then we have a bit more luxury to take BPA at 19, then refocus on OL in 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

We also need a safety with Clemons possibly moving on, and maybe a DT if Starks and Soliai both leave. Jairus Byrd would be sweet paired with Reshad, but really expensive.

Sucks, but I think we also need a RB. Lamar looks more like a compliment than a feature back. MJD? Tate? Blount? Hate to pay a non-elite RB gobs of money...so maybe look for one in the draft on day 2.
Definitely would rather grab a day two RB than pay tons of cash for any RB on the market this year, even Tate because as good as he looks he can't seem to stay healthy. Maybe I'm delusional but Miller started running harder and lowering his shoulder more towards the end of the year as opposed to getting pancaked at first contact like he was in the first couple games. Give him another crack at it with a real O line and see what he could do.

Definitely would rather grab a day two RB than pay tons of cash for any RB on the market this year, even Tate because as good as he looks he can't seem to stay healthy. Maybe I'm delusional but Miller started running harder and lowering his shoulder more towards the end of the year as opposed to getting pancaked at first contact like he was in the first couple games. Give him another crack at it with a real O line and see what he could do.
I think they should bring in a FA RB, if cheap.

As free agency looms I wanted to post about the OL guys. I know Miami will take a long look at Albert and Monroe but it might take in excess of $8-$10M a season and I just think it's foolish for them to do that. I would prefer some of these guys...

-Rodger Saffold(RT/RG/LG) this is a guy who can play almost any position on the OL outside of Center. He's not elite but he did a solid job in St Louis and I would like to see us go after guys who can shuffle around and not let it bother them. We have 4 open holes on that line right now and you hate to blow the whole draft on them all. And since they need so many, perhaps showing some restraint and not overspending would be wise. It is going to take 2-3 years thru the draft to truly build the OL and make it strong long term. Don't hurt yourself cap wise if you can sign Saffold to something in the $3M a year range. He is not one of the first 3-4 names you hear mentioned so he shouldn't cost a fortune and he gives Miami some versatility.

-Zane Beadles(OG) he made the Pro Bowl in 2012. Maybe he wasn't quite as good last year but that help negotiate. I want Miami solid on the interior or that running game won't get better and then Tannehill has to throw way too much. Miami must iron out the running game and Beadles paired with Pouncey inside would give us a nice 1-2 punch on some straight up field running, A-gaps on either side will open up. How many 3rd and shorts did we get stuffed last season? Beadles is 27, this guy could fill a major hole for us. If they were to sign Beadles, I would make Saffold the RT. They can find another guy to plug in as an OG and you suddenly have some shape before the draft.

-Chad RInehart(OG) Did well with Buffalo and managed to solidify the OL in San Diego despite missing 5 games. He has some injury concerns but I like what he brings to the table. He won't cost that much, this is an easy sign for Miami if he decides to scoot from San Diego.

LT(?), LG-Beadles, C-Pouncey, RG-Rinehart, RT-Saffold

That looks a lot better than we are right now. However I know Miami and they never do anything that makes much sense so I imagine they won't sign any of these guys and overspend for someone like Albert or Monroe. That would be foolish on their part. I would be fine if they could do something like what I highlighted and then take best available LT in the draft or even trade up. Of the guys on the board that Miami should be in the hunt for, I like Zach Martin of Notre Dame but I think he is better suited for RT. Antonio Richardson from Tennessee is about 6-6/330 and would be a nice pillar at LT. Also from Tennessee is JuWaun James who might have started at LT most places except for Antonio Richardson who locked down that spot. James is what I would call a sleeper pick and someone Miami could snare in the 2nd or even top of the 3rd round if they maneuver there.

I would love to hear what you all think Miami should do at OL.

As free agency looms I wanted to post about the OL guys. I know Miami will take a long look at Albert and Monroe but it might take in excess of $8-$10M a season and I just think it's foolish for them to do that. I would prefer some of these guys...

-Rodger Saffold(RT/RG/LG) this is a guy who can play almost any position on the OL outside of Center. He's not elite but he did a solid job in St Louis and I would like to see us go after guys who can shuffle around and not let it bother them. We have 4 open holes on that line right now and you hate to blow the whole draft on them all. And since they need so many, perhaps showing some restraint and not overspending would be wise. It is going to take 2-3 years thru the draft to truly build the OL and make it strong long term. Don't hurt yourself cap wise if you can sign Saffold to something in the $3M a year range. He is not one of the first 3-4 names you hear mentioned so he shouldn't cost a fortune and he gives Miami some versatility.

-Zane Beadles(OG) he made the Pro Bowl in 2012. Maybe he wasn't quite as good last year but that help negotiate. I want Miami solid on the interior or that running game won't get better and then Tannehill has to throw way too much. Miami must iron out the running game and Beadles paired with Pouncey inside would give us a nice 1-2 punch on some straight up field running, A-gaps on either side will open up. How many 3rd and shorts did we get stuffed last season? Beadles is 27, this guy could fill a major hole for us. If they were to sign Beadles, I would make Saffold the RT. They can find another guy to plug in as an OG and you suddenly have some shape before the draft.

-Chad RInehart(OG) Did well with Buffalo and managed to solidify the OL in San Diego despite missing 5 games. He has some injury concerns but I like what he brings to the table. He won't cost that much, this is an easy sign for Miami if he decides to scoot from San Diego.

That looks a lot better than we are right now. However I know Miami and they never do anything that makes much sense so I imagine they won't sign any of these guys and overspend for someone like Albert or Monroe. That would be foolish on their part. I would be fine if they could do something like what I highlighted and then take best available LT in the draft or even trade up. Of the guys on the board that Miami should be in the hunt for, I like Zach Martin of Notre Dame but I think he is better suited for RT. Antonio Richardson from Tennessee is about 6-6/330 and would be a nice pillar at LT. Also from Tennessee is JuWaun James who might have started at LT most places except for Antonio Richardson who locked down that spot. James is what I would call a sleeper pick and someone Miami could snare in the 2nd or even top of the 3rd round if they maneuver there.

Good post. I agree with your concept, however, we are way under a cap that is going to rise quite a bit over the next 3 years. We have money to spend. What seems like overspending today may look like a bargain in 2 years. Maybe one with the cap going up. If we are going to overspend somewhere, which seems inevitable since the money is there to spend, the place to overspend is at LT in my opinion. I havent studied the cap that closely, but I read we are in top 5 for under the cap this season. We may be able to get Monroe, Veldheer, or Albert, and still have money to make competitive offers on some (all?) of the guys you mentioned.

I'm gonna put my GM cap on for a while this morning and go thru this blow by blow. Miami right now is $35M under the cap, I had to research that but those are the numbers right now. Here is what I would do to get set for free agency.

1. Cut Dimitri Patterson and save $5M+ this season. Grimes cuts the field in half so the opposite corner doesn't have to be ALL World. We drafted Jamar Taylor 54th overall last year and he was injured quite a bit. If he can bounce back perhaps he can compete for a starting spot opposite. You must build thru the draft.

+5M to the kitty and we now have $40M to spend.

2. Keep Matt Moore and try to trade him. Miami is one of the very few teams that has a quality back up. Some teams could have Moore compete for a starting spot. I'm not naive enough to think he could fetch much more than a 4th or 5th but with the OL in shambles I'll take every draft pick I can get and use a 4th or 5th on another interior OL to compete for a spot on this team. If Tannehill were to go down I'm just fine tanking and getting a better draft pick. We can find someone in the 3rd round to bring in and play behind THill for a tenth of the the price for Moore. I don't cut Moore just yet but I would try and trade him, perhaps on draft day. A team with Super Bowl aspirations would be a great spot for Moore to upgrade their Plan B. I would trade Moore for a 4th and also save another $4M in salary cap.

3. Sign Zane Beadles to somewhere around $30M over 5 years. Yes $6M is a lot of money but Incogstupido was making $5M a season and Beadles is younger and better IMO. This would make a solid 1-2 punch inside. Rodger Saffold also would be a quick sign for me. I would think $20M over 4-5 years would get it done. That's about $50M on the OL so far but we got the money. Finally I would sign Chad Rinehart to something considerably less, perhaps a 2-3 year deal for about $10-$12M.

So in total I am going to leverage about $15M a season in cap space here. I might give out a slightly higher bonus and less per year because the cap is going to rise from $133M to over $150M next year. I still have about $25M left to spend...

4. Paul Soliai...sign him. Starks is mad at Miami and I think he wants out of here but we need to keep a pillar to slide back in next to Odrick at DT. Miami runs a 4-3, Soliai signed for 2/$12M last time around, something similar could be done, maybe a 3yr/$20M, backload the thing so it really is a 2 year deal and then re-negotiate as needed. Make Soliai a part of this team, we drafted him in 2007, one of the few home runs we have hit in the later rounds over the last decade....take care of him.

Still about $20M to spend but I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I would think hard about fielding offers for Cameron Wake. I know guys like him are hard to find however he is 32 and I don't think Miami is competing for a Super Bowl. A high 2nd round pick would work for me and I could free up another $5M in cap space here. For now though I keep Wake and Moore as the draft is still not until beginning of May this year. Use them to move up or down the draft board. Wake might be enough for Miami to jump up into the top 10 to grab a top OL prospect at LT.

5. Go after cornerback Alterraun Verner...who? This guy has been top 25 for several years, most started hearing more about hi last year. He is in his prime, would really shut down the other side of the field. Between him and Grimes, add in a pretty nice pass rush by Miami from the DE spots including Dion Jordan who has to see the field more. I think Miami should make a strong run at Verner plus I cut Patterson and have $5M a year as a down payment. I give Verner a 5 yr/$50M deal with about a $15M signing bonus, he's well worth it. Yes he is eating up cap space but he and Grimes would make a lethal 1-2 at corner. This is a passing league and you need playmakers. Verner is a shutdown guy, a lot more passes would go Grimes way and he makes plays. I shuffle my 2nd year guys like Taylor and Will Davis and have them compete for Nickel and Dime spots.

I still have $10M in cap space...I managed to plug 3 holes on the OL, plug up the DT spot, add another shutdown corner to maximize what I have at DE with Wake, Jordan, and Olivier Vernon(don't forget about him). I know I could free up more cap space by departing with Moore. I also have Wake dangling out there in case I want to pounce on something in the draft.

I would also look at Malcom Jenkins and Donte Whitner as possible signings at Safety. But understand Miami will need some cap space to start re-doing some contracts of guys like Charles Clay.

I would hold Wallace for 1 more year, so close on so many plays with Tannehill...I don't think Wallace was the problem I really don't. You need Wallace to keep evaluating Tannehill.

What say you Dolphin fans?

Good post. I agree with your concept, however, we are way under a cap that is going to rise quite a bit over the next 3 years. We have money to spend. What seems like overspending today may look like a bargain in 2 years. Maybe one with the cap going up. If we are going to overspend somewhere, which seems inevitable since the money is there to spend, the place to overspend is at LT in my opinion. I havent studied the cap that closely, but I read we are in top 5 for under the cap this season. We may be able to get Monroe, Veldheer, or Albert, and still have money to make competitive offers on some (all?) of the guys you mentioned.
I appreciate what you are saying Chuck but I don't want guys pushing 30 and giving them big contracts. Look where we are at with Cameron Wake right now. Guys in their 30s making big bucks usually don't make for a good base to build on. I want to go young and long term. I'll be interested in your take on my GM moves collectively. I want to break the bank for a guy in his prime, not a guy who will be slowly getting worse as the seasons roll on.

Plus I want to grab my LT in the draft if I can.

Also would try and sign Blount on the cheap if you can. He makes a perfect compliment to Lamar Miller who is more of a fast back who really shouldn't be rammed between the tackles. Blount will get those 3rd and shorts vs what we had last year with RBs running ### first into the line.

In the draft...

1st-I might move up if you could get a top 10 pick for one of the top Tackles but i also am fine if they stay put or even slide down and ad additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

OT is the way to go for Miami in the 1st..

2nd-I would try and move up higher in the 2nd, get in a position to add one of the nice WR prospects that slips down the board. Miami needs to have a Plan B for Mike Wallace. I like the idea of a WR who won't cost a fortune over the next 3-4 years. Also would like Miami to bring in some LBs to push these idiots we signed last year. Wheeler and Ellerbee were major disappointments IMO.

WR/LB

3rd-BPA, maybe a DT if you can find one to replace Starks, if I passed on WR in the 2nd, I would look here. Also a Safety isn't a bad idea if we don't find something in FA.

DT/WR/S

I would try and add another OL and LB in the 4th/5th assuming we trade Moore. Also would look at any QB prospects that slip down here.

Miami needs OL obviously but I also would try to develop some young LBs to get rid of Ellerbee and Wheeler by 2015.

I appreciate what you are saying Chuck but I don't want guys pushing 30 and giving them big contracts. Look where we are at with Cameron Wake right now. Guys in their 30s making big bucks usually don't make for a good base to build on. I want to go young and long term. I'll be interested in your take on my GM moves collectively. I want to break the bank for a guy in his prime, not a guy who will be slowly getting worse as the seasons roll on.

Plus I want to grab my LT in the draft if I can.
Monroe and Veldheer are both 26. They are in their prime, and would be an anchor at LT for 4-8 years if we can keep them that long. Veldheer is less proven, but those who evaluate seem to like him. I cant say that have ever broken down film or even so much as studied technique on either myself. Just going off what I have read from people I trust.

On my way out right now, but as far as your GM moves, I can get on board. The Verner signing wont happen though. As you pointed out, Grimes shuts down one side of the field, so investing that much cash in the other side woudl be a luxury, not a need. We have needs to fill before we address luxuries.

I like Patterson (when healthy, which is rare). He can play either side, or nickel very well. Not worth what we are paying him, but I would be down with trying to cut that in half and keep him around if possible. Our young guys have proven nothing.

Monroe and Veldheer are both 26. They are in their prime, and would be an anchor at LT for 4-8 years if we can keep them that long. Veldheer is less proven, but those who evaluate seem to like him. I cant say that have ever broken down film or even so much as studied technique on either myself. Just going off what I have read from people I trust.

On my way out right now, but as far as your GM moves, I can get on board. The Verner signing wont happen though. As you pointed out, Grimes shuts down one side of the field, so investing that much cash in the other side woudl be a luxury, not a need. We have needs to fill before we address luxuries.

I like Patterson (when healthy, which is rare). He can play either side, or nickel very well. Not worth what we are paying him, but I would be down with trying to cut that in half and keep him around if possible. Our young guys have proven nothing.
Monroe is not worth $10M my friend. maybe he won't fetch that much but for a team that has to fill up 4 spots and perhaps 5 depending on what Goodell wants to do, I wouldn't lock up that kind of money. Veldheer IMO will reach an agreement with a liquid rich Raiders team that can easily sign him and have plenty of money left...they are somewhere around $65M under the cap, senseless to not lock up a LT that would be scooped up quickly in FA.

Here is another angle on this. Miami has a lot of money to spend, let some of the other teams blow their wads on 1 guy and then sort of like an auction league, Miami can come in and sign some guys for less simply because the market allows it. I want Miami to be strong from the inside out and that starts at LG/C/RG, Miami must open holes and take some pressure off Tannehill. I'm not enamored with Monroe, he did subpar work in Baltimore last year. The Ravens certainly didn't want him, why should we jump to give him a big contract?

To me the worst situation is we spend $10M+ on a LT when we need to fill almost all 5 positions. I like the idea of getting a solid rookie that can come right in and compete for the LT spot. But that's probably what Miami will do(spend $10M on a LT) so you'll be a happy guy Chuck ;)

And Verner...this is a passing league you get an opp to have another tandem like Madison/Surtain, by God you better do it. Imagine teams having to pick which side to throw the ball. I would bet teams will be forced to go into the slots and that's actually where Wheeler would be better helping cover guys out of the back field and double teaming slot guys. You don't need double teams when you have Grimes and Verner, that would free up Rashad Jones to help in run support. Miami defense would be a potential top 5 in pass defense. And turnovers make short fields for Tannehill to cash in. I would break the piggy bank and build a fearsome duo at the corners but that's me. What you call a luxury I see as a necessity in the modern NFL. And it blends nicely with a pretty strong pass rush where we could blitz a lot more and leave both of those guys on a island with no hesitation...think about it.

Like I said though, Miami never does it right so they'll go spend big dollars on a LT and probably keep Patterson who I would cut. They'll bring back Nolan Carroll or try and have Taylor/Davis compete. Now if Jamar Taylor turns into the goods that's fine but he seems a little injury prone at the moment.

MOP,

Saffold was mentioned a few times with a cost ranging from $3-$5 mill per year. I think he will fetch more. He was never anything special at LT, but once moved inside, looks like he could have Pro Bowl potential.

He is reportedly a priority re-signing, but more than likely will get a bigger offer than STL would be comfortable matching (the problem is he is hurt a lot, complicating the negotiation). Perhaps he could be more durable at guard (?), but very checkered medical record at OT.

MOP,

Saffold was mentioned a few times with a cost ranging from $3-$5 mill per year. I think he will fetch more. He was never anything special at LT, but once moved inside, looks like he could have Pro Bowl potential.

He is reportedly a priority re-signing, but more than likely will get a bigger offer than STL would be comfortable matching (the problem is he is hurt a lot, complicating the negotiation). Perhaps he could be more durable at guard (?), but very checkered medical record at OT.
I was thinking one of the OG spots but also could work at RT. I like his versatility, agree he is not "special" and that's why I was hoping something like 4yr/$20M, that's a big jump from $3M a season, I don't see him fetching more than that when you have a list of 4-5 guys after Albert and Monroe that are hanging out there as potential FA signings depending on what teams do with them this weekend.

But I appreciate you providing that information about his medical records, I was unaware that was a big problem for him. If Miami doesn't sign him that's fine, I was just offering some ideas outside of the big names. I feel like Saffold could be undervalued, that was why I thought Miami could get him and have a versatile player. That OL is gonna need a lot of work. Jake Long took $8.5M a season and had 3 Pro Bowl trips under his belt in his 1st 5 years. How much could Saffold really get?

MOP,

I was thinking one of the OG spots but also could work at RT. I like his versatility, agree he is not "special" and that's why I was hoping something like 4yr/$20M, that's a big jump from $3M a season, I don't see him fetching more than that when you have a list of 4-5 guys after Albert and Monroe that are hanging out there as potential FA signings depending on what teams do with them this weekend. But I appreciate you providing that information about his medical records, I was unaware that was a big problem for him. If Miami doesn't sign him that's fine, I was just offering some ideas outside of the big names. I feel like Saffold could be undervalued, that was why I thought Miami could get him and have a versatile player. That OL is gonna need a lot of work. Jake Long took $8.5M a season and had 3 Pro Bowl trips under his belt in his 1st 5 years. How much could Saffold really get?
I think the versatility is a good idea for Miami right now. They need several starters this offseason. Having someone who can slot in multiple places will keep them from reaching in the draft on certain positions.

Beat reporter Jim Thomas has been saying since the Senior Bowl (or the combine?) that rumblings are Saffold will draw a lot of interest, I think because of how good he looked at guard, and like you said, his versatility is a plus (he could play four positions on the OL).

I don't think he will be undervalued, or he will be back in STL, because they definitely value him (unless of course he doesn't like being in STL, but I don't think that is the case, or that he would avoid staying by taking less money elsewhere).

Good point about Long, guys like him don't usually make it to free agency (though this free agency class has an unusual number of young talented LTs, maybe unprecedented?). It was a good, not a bank breaking contract for a 4 X Pro Bowler, probably reflecting his injury history in recent years. One factor in Saffold's favor is age, he is just 25 (not that Long was old, 27 when he signed with STL last year). Another thing is contracts keep escalating, and it is a year later.

If teams view him as a potential Pro Bowl guard, I think he will get something like $6 mil plus per year, with a good amount guaranteed and not much in the way of incentives to protect against injury, it sounds like there will be a robust market for him. You know how it is, teams always overpay at the beginning of free agency. STL would like him back, and they might even be willing to pay that (looks like center Scott Wells will be back, he makes I think $6 mil, is about 32-33 and has missed 13 of his last 32 games since 2012). But they do have a price on what they think is fair value for his worth to them, beyond which I think they are willing to let him walk.

I think Monroe will get more than Long did last year, there will be several teams vying for him. Not as sure about Albert, but with several teams looking for a LT, that should drive his price up.

I'm gonna put my GM cap on for a while this morning and go thru this blow by blow. Miami right now is $35M under the cap, I had to research that but those are the numbers right now. Here is what I would do to get set for free agency.

1. Cut Dimitri Patterson and save $5M+ this season. Grimes cuts the field in half so the opposite corner doesn't have to be ALL World. We drafted Jamar Taylor 54th overall last year and he was injured quite a bit. If he can bounce back perhaps he can compete for a starting spot opposite. You must build thru the draft.

+5M to the kitty and we now have $40M to spend.

2. Keep Matt Moore and try to trade him. Miami is one of the very few teams that has a quality back up. Some teams could have Moore compete for a starting spot. I'm not naive enough to think he could fetch much more than a 4th or 5th but with the OL in shambles I'll take every draft pick I can get and use a 4th or 5th on another interior OL to compete for a spot on this team. If Tannehill were to go down I'm just fine tanking and getting a better draft pick. We can find someone in the 3rd round to bring in and play behind THill for a tenth of the the price for Moore. I don't cut Moore just yet but I would try and trade him, perhaps on draft day. A team with Super Bowl aspirations would be a great spot for Moore to upgrade their Plan B. I would trade Moore for a 4th and also save another $4M in salary cap.

3. Sign Zane Beadles to somewhere around $30M over 5 years. Yes $6M is a lot of money but Incogstupido was making $5M a season and Beadles is younger and better IMO. This would make a solid 1-2 punch inside. Rodger Saffold also would be a quick sign for me. I would think $20M over 4-5 years would get it done. That's about $50M on the OL so far but we got the money. Finally I would sign Chad Rinehart to something considerably less, perhaps a 2-3 year deal for about $10-$12M.

So in total I am going to leverage about $15M a season in cap space here. I might give out a slightly higher bonus and less per year because the cap is going to rise from $133M to over $150M next year. I still have about $25M left to spend...

4. Paul Soliai...sign him. Starks is mad at Miami and I think he wants out of here but we need to keep a pillar to slide back in next to Odrick at DT. Miami runs a 4-3, Soliai signed for 2/$12M last time around, something similar could be done, maybe a 3yr/$20M, backload the thing so it really is a 2 year deal and then re-negotiate as needed. Make Soliai a part of this team, we drafted him in 2007, one of the few home runs we have hit in the later rounds over the last decade....take care of him.

Still about $20M to spend but I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. I would think hard about fielding offers for Cameron Wake. I know guys like him are hard to find however he is 32 and I don't think Miami is competing for a Super Bowl. A high 2nd round pick would work for me and I could free up another $5M in cap space here. For now though I keep Wake and Moore as the draft is still not until beginning of May this year. Use them to move up or down the draft board. Wake might be enough for Miami to jump up into the top 10 to grab a top OL prospect at LT.

5. Go after cornerback Alterraun Verner...who? This guy has been top 25 for several years, most started hearing more about hi last year. He is in his prime, would really shut down the other side of the field. Between him and Grimes, add in a pretty nice pass rush by Miami from the DE spots including Dion Jordan who has to see the field more. I think Miami should make a strong run at Verner plus I cut Patterson and have $5M a year as a down payment. I give Verner a 5 yr/$50M deal with about a $15M signing bonus, he's well worth it. Yes he is eating up cap space but he and Grimes would make a lethal 1-2 at corner. This is a passing league and you need playmakers. Verner is a shutdown guy, a lot more passes would go Grimes way and he makes plays. I shuffle my 2nd year guys like Taylor and Will Davis and have them compete for Nickel and Dime spots.

I still have $10M in cap space...I managed to plug 3 holes on the OL, plug up the DT spot, add another shutdown corner to maximize what I have at DE with Wake, Jordan, and Olivier Vernon(don't forget about him). I know I could free up more cap space by departing with Moore. I also have Wake dangling out there in case I want to pounce on something in the draft.

I would also look at Malcom Jenkins and Donte Whitner as possible signings at Safety. But understand Miami will need some cap space to start re-doing some contracts of guys like Charles Clay.

I would hold Wallace for 1 more year, so close on so many plays with Tannehill...I don't think Wallace was the problem I really don't. You need Wallace to keep evaluating Tannehill.

What say you Dolphin fans?
I like most of this here, good work.

Don't agree with paying more than Grimes for another corner. Need to trust the second year guys here, maybe resign Carroll.

Need to bring in a FA running back. Someone cheap, but proven they can contribute in the NFL. Something Miller and Thomas have yet to show. Hopefully good at pass protection.

Also would try and sign Blount on the cheap if you can. He makes a perfect compliment to Lamar Miller who is more of a fast back who really shouldn't be rammed between the tackles. Blount will get those 3rd and shorts vs what we had last year with RBs running ### first into the line.

In the draft...

1st-I might move up if you could get a top 10 pick for one of the top Tackles but i also am fine if they stay put or even slide down and ad additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

OT is the way to go for Miami in the 1st..

2nd-I would try and move up higher in the 2nd, get in a position to add one of the nice WR prospects that slips down the board. Miami needs to have a Plan B for Mike Wallace. I like the idea of a WR who won't cost a fortune over the next 3-4 years. Also would like Miami to bring in some LBs to push these idiots we signed last year. Wheeler and Ellerbee were major disappointments IMO.

WR/LB

3rd-BPA, maybe a DT if you can find one to replace Starks, if I passed on WR in the 2nd, I would look here. Also a Safety isn't a bad idea if we don't find something in FA.

DT/WR/S

I would try and add another OL and LB in the 4th/5th assuming we trade Moore. Also would look at any QB prospects that slip down here.

Miami needs OL obviously but I also would try to develop some young LBs to get rid of Ellerbee and Wheeler by 2015.
I'd love to see Chris Borland picked up at linebacker.

Monroe is not worth $10M my friend. maybe he won't fetch that much but for a team that has to fill up 4 spots and perhaps 5 depending on what Goodell wants to do, I wouldn't lock up that kind of money. Veldheer IMO will reach an agreement with a liquid rich Raiders team that can easily sign him and have plenty of money left...they are somewhere around $65M under the cap, senseless to not lock up a LT that would be scooped up quickly in FA.

Here is another angle on this. Miami has a lot of money to spend, let some of the other teams blow their wads on 1 guy and then sort of like an auction league, Miami can come in and sign some guys for less simply because the market allows it. I want Miami to be strong from the inside out and that starts at LG/C/RG, Miami must open holes and take some pressure off Tannehill. I'm not enamored with Monroe, he did subpar work in Baltimore last year. The Ravens certainly didn't want him, why should we jump to give him a big contract?

To me the worst situation is we spend $10M+ on a LT when we need to fill almost all 5 positions. I like the idea of getting a solid rookie that can come right in and compete for the LT spot. But that's probably what Miami will do(spend $10M on a LT) so you'll be a happy guy Chuck ;)

And Verner...this is a passing league you get an opp to have another tandem like Madison/Surtain, by God you better do it. Imagine teams having to pick which side to throw the ball. I would bet teams will be forced to go into the slots and that's actually where Wheeler would be better helping cover guys out of the back field and double teaming slot guys. You don't need double teams when you have Grimes and Verner, that would free up Rashad Jones to help in run support. Miami defense would be a potential top 5 in pass defense. And turnovers make short fields for Tannehill to cash in. I would break the piggy bank and build a fearsome duo at the corners but that's me. What you call a luxury I see as a necessity in the modern NFL. And it blends nicely with a pretty strong pass rush where we could blitz a lot more and leave both of those guys on a island with no hesitation...think about it.

Like I said though, Miami never does it right so they'll go spend big dollars on a LT and probably keep Patterson who I would cut. They'll bring back Nolan Carroll or try and have Taylor/Davis compete. Now if Jamar Taylor turns into the goods that's fine but he seems a little injury prone at the moment.
Disagree with the bolded, based on what I have read (not what I have seen myself). From what I have read he graded out as the number 7 LT in the NFL, and Baltimore most definitely does want to keep him, but does not have the luxury of tons of cap space. They pay a QB $20M per year. We pay our starter around $1M per year (guessing). That gives us a bit more room to play with right off the bat.

Agree with your assessment on Verner and how awesome it would be to have 2 shut down corners. Still see it as a luxury. We also spent a 2 and a 3 on CBs last year, and can still keep Paterson, who was pretty good when he played last year.

We can draft a LT, but no premiere LTs will be available at 19, so if we want one, we are going to have to trade up, either by using a really good player, or more picks in a deep draft. I don't particularly like either of those options personally, which is why I'd like to see us lock down one of the premiere free agents at LT. We have the money to spend, may as well spend it where we are weakest. Then taking a guy like Zack Martin at 19 to play guard makes sense, and we immediately have 3 of the 5 OL spots locked down with premiere players.

I don't think we have the luxury of taking any chances with our LT spot. We have a QB who is pretty much in a make or break year. We have a $16M WR who cant be properly used if there is no protection. We need to see what we have under center this season, and figure out if we need to draft a QB in 2015. Without a proven LT protecting him, as well as some serious help at the other OL spots, we cannot properly evaluate him. I don't think our 2nd CB position is something to overlook, but I see it way, way far down on the list of priorities with LT way at the top. If we are going to dump $10M on a position (probably what Verner will cost), I think it HAS to be on the best available LT.

1. Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 1h
      Davin Joseph, whom the Bucs just released, is FROM Miami, knows Dennis Hickey. Those are tires the Dolphins should kick.

This is Salguero's take on it all...

Tampering begins: Top 3 in areas of need for Dolphins

Let the tampering begin! At noon, NFL teams were actually within their rights to start negotiating with players on other teams. Yes, that's actually been going on for weeks, but you know the game (wink, wink).

The Dolphins need offensive line help. They need defensive tackle help. They may want middle linebacker help so they can kick Dannell Ellerbe outside. Safety? Sure. Running back? Maybe.

Below are fake GM Salguero's top three players in those areas of need as free agency negotiations begin this afternoon (legally):

Left tackle

1. Eugene Monroe, Baltimore: Young. Elite pass-blocker. Average run blocker. Think Richmond Webb without the big behind. He's quiet and a not a locker room issue, which should be a positive for the Dolphins. Will be expensive.

1A. Branden Albert, Kansas City: Also young (29) but not as young as Monroe. Has elite skill set but doesn't always get elite results. Also excellent in pass pro; not as good in running game but slightly better than Monroe. Will be equally expensive as Monroe. Loves and lives in South Florida.

1B. Jared Veldheer, Oakland: Missed the first 12 games of 2013 due to a biceps injury, which raises the injury red flag. Better athlete than the other two, better run blocker than the other two. But feeling around the league is increasingly that Oakland is allowing him to shop simply to match the offer. Most teams don't like to work for the sake of having a player return to his current team.

Overall position analysis: The Dolphins had better sign one of the top guys or something is wrong. As to playing coy with the money, that won't work. The Dolphins have a huge need and everyone knows it. This is going to be an expensive proposition.

Right tackle

1. Zach Strief, New Orleans: The Saints are unloading talent to make cap room but want badly to re-sign Strief. That should tell you something that he's more valuable to them than, say, Lance Moore or Darren Sproles.

2. Austin Howard, New York Jets: Let's make the Jets weaker! Well, that's not a good enough reason to entertain signing a player but it can't hurt. Howard is not elite and won't require elite money to sign. But he's better than say, Jonathan Martin. He played better last year than Tyson Clabo. He's solid. Not great. Solid. You cannot have a Pro Bowl player at every spot.

3. No one. It's a baaaad free agent class at right tackle, folks.

Overall position analysis: This screams draft. But maybe GM Dennis Hickey has a trick up his sleeve. Or he's desperate. If all else fails there's always the stand-by Eric Winston, Tyson Clabo, Jeremy Trueblood gang at the last minute.

Guard

1. Zane Beadles, Denver: Excellent footwork and excels in pass pro. Great balance which is reason he's not often on the ground. His production is hard to argue with although he played much better in 2012 than in his 2013 contract year.

1A. Chad Rinehart: Very good run blocker. Hard worker. Versatile in that he can play either guard spot. Smart player. Plays with leverage and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Not the most gifted athlete but he's a football player.

2. Geoff Schwartz: Want to improve the run game? This is the guy. Was a revelation down the stretch in 2013 and played better than previous starter to the point he beat him out. But ... was it the view of things to come or simply a stretch he was playing over his head?

2B: Jon Asamoah: The player who got beat out (see above). He's been solid for three seasons but dipped a bit in 2013. Interesting issue: Do you go with guy who played better at end of '13? Or do you go with guy who has more consistency over longer period of time? Asamoah is the latter.

Darkhorse: Davin Joseph: The Bucs released him this afternoon. He has always had a high ceiling but never really got there. Problem is he sometimes didn't even try to get there. He is also coming off knee surgery and he's 30. But his Bucs connections to Dennis Hickey cannot be overlooked.

Overall position analysis: The Dolphins can really use a veteran with good interior presence because playing with two rookie guards is a recipe for disaster. If all else fails, there's always Richie Incognito and John Jerry. Not.

Defensive tackle

1. Jason Hatcher, Dallas: Want to upgrade, Mr. Hickey? Here you go. A true 4-3 defensive tackle. A pocket-pusher. He'll get up field and disrupt. He'll also disrupt the salary cap because he will be very expensive.

2. Linval Joseph: Want a cheaper Paul Soliai? Here you go. A run-stopping player with limited pass-rush ability (less than Soliai). He's also not going to catch too many guys from behind. He was good in his contract year.

3. Earl Mitchell, Texans: He's a one-gap guy but he has excellent quickness and athletic ability that translate to other uses. He can also push the pocket so he's not just a run-down player.

Overall position analysis: The days of Paul Soliai and Randy Starks seem over. Soliai is perhaps the best run-down player on the market. But he's a run-down player in a passing league. Starks is the best pure DT on the market in my opinion but he's 30 years old. And that one-finger salute that he extended to Joe Philbin and his coaches? That has not been forgotten.

Safety

1. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo: Want to break the bank? Here you go. But he also offers the best defensive playmaker on the market at any position. Man averages nearly one turnover every two games.

2. Donte Whitner, S.F.: If the Dolphins were of the mind to get him, they could let Reshad Jones become the roaming free safety he probably should be. Whitner is a strong safety enforcer. He hits hard, he causes offensive players to think twice about going across the middle, he's a tackling machine. He is older and he probably wants to stay with a winning team.

3. Taylor Mays, Cincinnati: Only reason he's on here is his ties to Kevin Coyle. He's a north-south, stiff dude. But he's fast and he hits like thunder.

Overall position analysis: The Dolphins would do well to draft here. They need to unleash Jones. And paying too much at this position would tilt too much money, added to the 2013 Jones extension, to the back end of the defense.

Middle linebacker

1. Jon Beason, New York Giants: Nothing will happen with him until Tuesday because he represents himself and teams cannot talk to players before Tuesday. But he's a savvy veteran. He has a great motor. And he loves Miami.

2. Karlos Dansby, Arizona: I think we know this isn't going to happen. He doesn't, um, love Joe Philbin. But ... playmaker? Check. Solid inside presence? Check. Hard worker? Check. Plays hurt? Check. Of course, all his abilities didn't translate to the Dolphins. Coaching the reason? Check.

3. Daryl Smith, Baltimore: Want a true team leader? Want a tackle machine who won't be collecting his tackles eight yards downfield? Want an accomplished A-gap blitzer? Want a solid player who isn't going to break the bank because he's getting up there in age? This is your guy.

3b: Brandon Spikes, New England: This won't happen because Spikes has a mind of his own and Philbin doesn't like that. He's also really only a run-down player and very, very limited in passing situations. But want to help solve Miami's declining run defense? This would help.

Overall position analysis: It is just sad to me that a year after spending so much on Dannell Ellerbe in free agency, the case could be made that he really isn't suited to be a middle linebacker ... or that the Dolphins didn't coach him well enough to man the position at a high level

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

I don't like the idea of splashing more money at linebacker, this coaching staff doesn't have a good record of getting big dollar signings to fit in there. Drafting is better for that position.

Grabbing a big free agent at safety is interesting idea

I like most of this here, good work.Don't agree with paying more than Grimes for another corner. Need to trust the second year guys here, maybe resign Carroll.

Need to bring in a FA running back. Someone cheap, but proven they can contribute in the NFL. Something Miller and Thomas have yet to show. Hopefully good at pass protection.
Grimes is 30, Verner is 25 and he might not cost $10M, he said openly he doesn't need that much so perhaps $8M would do. Imagine 2 stud CBs with Jordan and Wake flying off the edges. Teams would have to try and run up the middle on us and with 2 CBs who can play man to man, Jones can come up and help with the run support making our defense IMO a force to be reckoned with. I'm trying to think outside the box. What Miami has been doing is not working. But OK, let's say Taylor comes on his 2nd year, that's a big gamble and even if you went and got Verner, when has a team not needed a quality 3rd DB to play the slot guys? I think folks are not thinking this through.

So let's put $10M back ingot he equation. I still don't go out and sign one of these overpriced Left Tackles.

I like most of this here, good work.Don't agree with paying more than Grimes for another corner. Need to trust the second year guys here, maybe resign Carroll.

Grimes is 30, Verner is 25 and he might not cost $10M, he said openly he doesn't need that much so perhaps $8M would do. Imagine 2 stud CBs with Jordan and Wake flying off the edges. Teams would have to try and run up the middle on us and with 2 CBs who can play man to man, Jones can come up and help with the run support making our defense IMO a force to be reckoned with. I'm trying to think outside the box. What Miami has been doing is not working. But OK, let's say Taylor comes on his 2nd year, that's a big gamble and even if you went and got Verner, when has a team not needed a quality 3rd DB to play the slot guys? I think folks are not thinking this through.

So let's put $10M back ingot he equation. I still don't go out and sign one of these overpriced Left Tackles.
Overpriced is an opinion. Market value is set by the market. If a top 10 LT is going to get $10M per year, then that is what teams who want a top 10 LT are going to pay. With the cap steadily going up, $10M for a top 10 LT will likely look like a major value in 2 years. LT may be the 2nd most important position on the team...protecting the most important player on the team from the nastiest guys the opponents have to throw at you for 16 weeks and maybe more.

Not every CB can play the slot. No idea if Taylor, Davis, or any other CB aside from Patterson on our roster can.

No question signing Verner would be awesome. I don't think anyone disputes that. But if the cost is not having a proven, elite LT or at least a highly touted rookie LT, then IMO the cost is too high. At 19, we are not likely to even sniff one of the elite rookie LTs.

We need to protect the guy who is supposed to be our franchise QB. Priority uno, with no other priority even remotely close as far as I am concerned. We took a gamble on Jonathan Martin - an unproven, non-elite player at LT last year. I am not interested in gambling again. Not at that position. I hope they learned from that mistake, and make LT the top priority.

If true, its interesting that they are prioritizing Albert over Monroe and Veldheer...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "reached out" to the representatives for free agents G/T Rodger Saffold and LT Jared Veldheer on Saturday.

LT Branden Albert is believed to be the Dolphins' top priority in free agency. They'd reportedly like to sign Saffold as a guard, though they're not opposed to Saffold playing left tackle. Veldheer and Eugene Monroe would be fallback options for Miami if it can't land Albert. We'd almost prefer both Veldheer and Monroe to an aging Albert. Offensive line is GM Dennis Hickey's main focus.

Also...

Adam Beasley‏@AdamHBeasley 18m In Hickey's ideal world, Albert will be the Dolphins' starting LT and Saffold would play guard, per multiple sources.

If true, its interesting that they are prioritizing Albert over Monroe and Veldheer...

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "reached out" to the representatives for free agents G/T Rodger Saffold and LT Jared Veldheer on Saturday.

LT Branden Albert is believed to be the Dolphins' top priority in free agency. They'd reportedly like to sign Saffold as a guard, though they're not opposed to Saffold playing left tackle. Veldheer and Eugene Monroe would be fallback options for Miami if it can't land Albert. We'd almost prefer both Veldheer and Monroe to an aging Albert. Offensive line is GM Dennis Hickey's main focus.

Also...

Adam Beasley‏@AdamHBeasley 18mIn Hickey's ideal world, Albert will be the Dolphins' starting LT and Saffold would play guard, per multiple sources.
So Miami has Albert as priority #1, what a dumb move. Lock up $12M a year for a guy who will be in 30s very soon, dumb dumb dumb. I'm sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with that move and Albert wants to come here to Miami. Heck he lives here when the season is over, Miami would be better off to not act interested and see what's the lowest he would sign for.

Saffold would be great, I don't understand the fallback talk when Miami has 4 openings and possibly 5...there's no fallback here, they need warm bodies right now. I could shake that front office if they go spend a truckload on a LT when they need to fill them all up.

And Chuck, I disagree on the LT being the 2nd most critical. I agree with you that the Tackles and their pass protection allow Wallace to get open but honestly Mike Wallace was open all the time last year and Tannehill couldn't hit him. Not many teams have drafted a LT early in the draft and turned the franchise around. Look at Thomas in Cleveland, that guy is awesome but it doesn't translate to wins.

As usual I will be here to stay critical of a team that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. I'm sorry but I don't trust Ross and I don't believe they know how to run things there. Davin Joseph was cut in TB and I hope to God we don't sign him. That guy has been a disappointment most of his career and was way overpaid on his last contract.

Saffold is welcome news, Veldheer also interesting to me although i think Oakland will sign him unless they think they can sign Monroe who they may view as an upgrade over Veldeer.

And I guess Miami is gonna do what at DT? I heard the guy from the NYG but I thought he was gonna be very expensive.

Keep bringing the news Chuck, terrific posts.

When has OL and LB not been something Miami was lacking? Remember when Parcells invested like $150M in contracts along the OL, took Jake Long #1 overall in the draft? Here we are again trying to rebuild an OL and signing a bunch of high prices free agents typically does not work.

The Bucs had that high priced OG Nicks and he has had issues including that wretched infection. I really think fans need to curb the enthusiasm if Miami starts signing a bunch of high priced free agents. They need 4 OL at least, 2 DTs who turned 30 are walking out the door, whether they are worth it or not at this point, they won't be replaced easily. Miami needs an overhaul at LB already after 1 season of Ellerbee and Wheeler, they also need a Safety. Miami is not good on defense up the middle right now.

I was digging up the med reports since our good friend Bob was kind of enough to get the gears moving on this.

Saffold has both shoulder and knee issues...Veldheer has biceps issues, and Albert has back issues to boot.

Albert has missed 7 games over the last 2 years, that's almost half a season for a guy who is expected to want $10M+ to play. And back issues can be a recurring problem, this was the reason we didn't want Jake Long we were told. Wake up Dolphin fans, don't get money delirious and drunk here, hold their feet to the fire.

Saffold has only started 19 games the last 2 seasons combined...

Miami might need to sign about 7-8OL truly if they want to have a starting unit. Seriously though, even if Miami grabs 2-3 decent OL in the off season, they are going to have to burn at least 2-3 draft picks on more OL prospects. This is gonna get dicey.

You all remember Jake Groves and Justin Smiley? Got hurt a lot, costs a lot of money, were shown the door...just saying.

Good research on Saffold, MOP.

That is why STL doesn't want to break the bank for him. The upside is high at guard if he can stay on the field. Some team will pay him a lot.

Ministry of Pain said:
ChuckLiddell said:

Also...

Adam Beasley‏@AdamHBeasley 18mIn Hickey's ideal world, Albert will be the Dolphins' starting LT and Saffold would play guard, per multiple sources.
So Miami has Albert as priority #1, what a dumb move. Lock up $12M a year for a guy who will be in 30s very soon, dumb dumb dumb. I'm sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with that move and Albert wants to come here to Miami. Heck he lives here when the season is over, Miami would be better off to not act interested and see what's the lowest he would sign for.

Saffold would be great, I don't understand the fallback talk when Miami has 4 openings and possibly 5...there's no fallback here, they need warm bodies right now. I could shake that front office if they go spend a truckload on a LT when they need to fill them all up.

And Chuck, I disagree on the LT being the 2nd most critical. I agree with you that the Tackles and their pass protection allow Wallace to get open but honestly Mike Wallace was open all the time last year and Tannehill couldn't hit him. Not many teams have drafted a LT early in the draft and turned the franchise around. Look at Thomas in Cleveland, that guy is awesome but it doesn't translate to wins.

As usual I will be here to stay critical of a team that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. I'm sorry but I don't trust Ross and I don't believe they know how to run things there. Davin Joseph was cut in TB and I hope to God we don't sign him. That guy has been a disappointment most of his career and was way overpaid on his last contract.

Saffold is welcome news, Veldheer also interesting to me although i think Oakland will sign him unless they think they can sign Monroe who they may view as an upgrade over Veldeer.

And I guess Miami is gonna do what at DT? I heard the guy from the NYG but I thought he was gonna be very expensive.

Keep bringing the news Chuck, terrific posts.
Welcome to disagree, and can argue that an elite pass rusher or elite CB is more valuable...however 3 of the first 4 picks in last year's draft were spent on LTs, and it easily could have been all of the top 3 picks had one team not thought that Jonathan Martin was the answer. NFL GMs seem to value the position pretty highly. I would say higher than any position other than the one that they are drafted to protect.

"Not many teams have drafted a LT early in the draft and turned the franchise around." Aside from QB, what position can you sub in for LT in that sentence and not still remain completely accurate? QB is the only truly franchise make/break position. Would really love to keep ours from being violently laid out 58 more times next year.

I dont know enough about any of the players to say who I think is best, but based upon what I have read, I am surprised in our interest is in Albert over Monroe. He is 3 years older, and apparently very close in talent level. If true, no idea why we would go for the older guy as our priority. Maybe a smokescreen to try to get Monroe for less? Who knows.

Wallace was running free all over the NFL's secondaries last year, and 17 had a lot of trouble finding him. That is absolutely true. In some of those cases, it was all on 17...but on some he was probably afraid for his life. He had very little time to settle into the pocket last year. It was extremely frustrating to watch. I am sure I dont have to tell you...

Users who are viewing this thread