What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Miami Dolphins 2014 Off/In Season (1 Viewer)

Miami has reached out to Gerhart, Tate, and Donald Brown...also trying to grab James Jones who I thought was under contract but maybe not.
I want a RB, but not a fan of this list.
What's not to like about Tate? Major upgrade over Danny Thomas IMO.

Other guys who can be had for cheap it would seem...Samuels-CB, MJD/Sproles, Beason-LB, Owen Daniels to pair with Clay causing all kinds of headaches until he gets hurt. I would like Miami to take a good hard long look a those guys right now.

MOP, I do not get the impression that Soliai really wanted to come back. Particularly when reading his farewell note to fans and the "previous organization". Now, maybe that is because of the offer the Dolphins put his way...maybe he doesn't like Philbin/Ross
Maybe?

I think it's obvious he hated them all and was embarrassed to be part of this team and the debacle last year. Quite frankly I'm shocked Miami is able to sign anybody.

-Beadles to Jaguars...that hurts.

Miami has reached out to Gerhart, Tate, and Donald Brown...also trying to grab James Jones who I thought was under contract but maybe not.
What's not to like about Tate? Major upgrade over Danny Thomas IMO. Other guys who can be had for cheap it would seem...Samuels-CB, MJD/Sproles, Beason-LB, Owen Daniels to pair with Clay causing all kinds of headaches until he gets hurt. I would like Miami to take a good hard long look a those guys right now.
I'm not looking for a back to upgrade over Thomas, we need one who will put him and Miller on the bench. Always been a huge MJD fan, would love to see him there. Sproles, Moreno, and Pierre Thomas are also good options.

What's not to like about Tate? Major upgrade over Danny Thomas IMO. Other guys who can be had for cheap it would seem...Samuels-CB, MJD/Sproles, Beason-LB, Owen Daniels to pair with Clay causing all kinds of headaches until he gets hurt. I would like Miami to take a good hard long look a those guys right now.
I'm not looking for a back to upgrade over Thomas, we need one who will put him and Miller on the bench. Always been a huge MJD fan, would love to see him there. Sproles, Moreno, and Pierre Thomas are also good options.
Your list is better, just relaying the Twitter info...Miami actually inquired about those names I posted. I would like them to bring in MJD and Pierre Thomas, that would send Danny out of here and Lamar Miller to special teams and the bench for a while, maybe a few carries here and there.

Revis and Grimes would be downright nasty.

I think the Dolphins will go hard after Joseph from the Giants. So Joseph, and Albert will be two very big signings.....if they grab Revis huge win in free agency.

Draft will be so critical this year. And Dion Jordan must....must be an every down player in 2014. Othewise that was a wasted #3 overall and the ultimate slap in the face on the way out by Ireland. I really would love to know the conversations that were taking place during last years draft between Coyle, Philbin and Ireland when they moved up to grab Jordan. I mean seriously......what was the thinking. I really hope he was just too dinged up last year to play more often. I also understand he is a rookie....and sometimes it does take a couple of years for DE to develop. No question a lot of great ones blossomed in year 2 or 3...plenty of examples.

Anyway I still think Jordan can be a beast of a player. He is ridiculous off the line, a physical marvel. Question is does he have the most improtant thing a DE needs? A high motor. If you can take Jason Taylors motor (another way of saying heart) and insert it in Jordan......he would be a legendary pass rusher. taylor has spoken about how Jordan physically is even better than he ever was.

So it really comes down to his motor and IQ.

Time will tell and year two will be a huge indication if we wasted another high draft pick.

2004 - Ronnie Brown

2008 - Jake Long

God I hope he pans out.
Jordan has a stupid combo of get off, length and bend (the guy is Gumby-esque).

Oregon used him to cover slot WRs at times. Extremely rare athleticism for a DE. Unless he has a work ethic or coachability issue (which I don't think is the case, said to love the game), I think he is a can't miss prospect physically and talent-wise. He is skinny (like Taylor) and may need to physically mature and get coached up on technique. Elite pass rushers one of the hardest positions to fill, with QB and LT, if he hits big, he will definitely be worth the wait. Laughable as it may seem now, you may well be thanking Ireland in the near future (for that move, at least :) ).

Maybe they don't make the move if they knew what they had in Vernon. But Wake is ancient, so IMO a smart reload. Could be a top 5 DE with upside in a few years. There is a good chance his former HC Kelly would have taken him at 1.4, and he was a good position to know how much he was worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sit down Phinsfans...or jump up n down. Albert's cap hit this year is only $4.225M, think about that. Miami is still in the running for just about any free agent they want to pursue right now.

Blow up that LB unit and start signing guys on the cheap. Absorb the cap hits this year and once again next year they will be sitting pretty with money to spend.

Love the Mitchell signing. He is 26. We just got younger, and more affordable and from what I read, we did it without sacrificing much talent at the nose. Seems like a very solid signing, and decision to let Starks/Soliai walk. I am sure it will somehow blow up in our faces.

Would have really preferred the younger Monroe over the older Albert for so much less money, but maybe the Fins knew Monroe was not leaving Baltimore and didnt want to be used as leverage once again.

So far, Delmas, Albert, Mitchell...good signings at need positions. Need to find some guards and a RT now.
But, putting aside our complaints, it seems like these are good moves given the option set.
I really don't want to be the Debbie Downer here but Soliai to Mitchell is a major downgrade IMO. And the ratings would prove it as well. Mitchell is very avg at best. There is a reason Houston is picking 1st and Miami despite internal turmoil managed to go 8-8. There's a reason Atlanta scooped him up for 5 years and paid him $11M this year, I'm happy for Paul, not so happy for Miami.

We have to sign Albert, I understand that, needed a Safety and didn't have to pay much to get him but let's not kid ourselves here...Miami is a gigantic hole up the middle right now. That's why I feel they should try to make a bookend tandem at Corner since they suxor right now down the middle(be good at something). They want to send Ellerbee to the OLB position so Misi, Wheeler, and Ellerbee will all be OLB and they are talking this kid from Alabama at 1.18, another huge mistake IMO when they could grab a terrific RT in the 18 range where they are picking.

Miami lost games in the 4th Q last year yes/no? If you agree with me on that then you know we need to be able to run the football and gain 1st downs on short 3rd yardage situations where we stunk last year. We lost to Buffalo, Baltimore, Carolina...those 3 games were the difference between 8-8 and 11-5, all 3 of them have the same ending and theme. Just tell me I'm wrong and I was watching different games than you all did, I can accept that I'm getting old ;)

What have we done to address that? not much but where we had some strength on defense we are letting that walk out the door. I would have been more excited about Linval Joseph but he went to Minnesota. He received 5 yr/$31.5M from the Vikes...we paid Soliai $6M a year when he was here, now we are paying $4m a season to a subpar player that likely won't make much impact here. We'll see if I am wrong.
I personally think Atlanta overpaid dramatically. 5 years $33M for a 30 year old player. $14 Mil guaranteed. Thats a big contract for a 30 year old. I dont think Paul Soliai vs Earl Mitchell had anything to do with the reason that the Texans are picking 1st, and we went 8-8, and just because Atlanta paid him like a 25 year old elite NT does not mean he is one. He was great here, but he is 30, and thats a boatload of money.

From everything I have read, Mitchell is a very good 4-3 NT, who was playing in a 3-4. We got a 26 year old player at $4M per year with only $9M guaranteed, instead of a 30 year old player at $7M per year with $14M guaranteed. I am right there with you when the Fins make bad moves, This does not look like one of them to me. I like this one. I would have been a bit displeased if they paid Soliai what Atlanta did.

Surprised Verner only got $6M per year. Maybe the talent evaluators do not see what some of the sports writers though they saw in him. Tenn should have kept him at that price if he was worth it. If he is who we have been led to believe that he is, then the Bucs just stole him, and he for some reason allowed it to happen.

Just got an alert that we traded Jonathan Martin to San Fran for conditional picks. Thats good work by Hickey. No matter what the picks are.

ETA:

49ers acquired OT Jonathan Martin from the Dolphins for a conditional draft pick.
The conditional pick is almost certainly a day-three selection. It's possible the Dolphins could end up with no compensation if Martin doesn't make the 49ers' 53-man roster, but that's just speculation. Martin had been on a leave of absence from the Dolphins since Week 9. A 2012 second-rounder, Martin hasn't looked like he can cut it at the NFL level, but was miscast as a left tackle last season. Reuniting with college coach Jim Harbaugh should be a boon for his confidence, and perhaps his game. He'll fight for swing-tackle duties in camp.

Verner takes $6mm a year from Tampa, WOW!

MOP is right yet again, they should have gotten this guy for sure.
How do you not step in and get him? Maybe they tried. Miami is not the place yet you go to win Super Bowls. Lovie Smith can at least say he got there. Give up Revis, take Verner, save $10M, Bucs putting on a clinic right now.

Just got an alert that we traded Jonathan Martin to San Fran for conditional picks. Thats good work by Hickey. No matter what the picks are.

ETA:

49ers acquired OT Jonathan Martin from the Dolphins for a conditional draft pick.
The conditional pick is almost certainly a day-three selection. It's possible the Dolphins could end up with no compensation if Martin doesn't make the 49ers' 53-man roster, but that's just speculation. Martin had been on a leave of absence from the Dolphins since Week 9. A 2012 second-rounder, Martin hasn't looked like he can cut it at the NFL level, but was miscast as a left tackle last season. Reuniting with college coach Jim Harbaugh should be a boon for his confidence, and perhaps his game. He'll fight for swing-tackle duties in camp.
I don't give a ####, just get him the Eff out of here!!! Guy almost destroyed the franchise, I understand it was a 2 way street and he was a victim but the Miami Dolphins couldn't get him out of here soon enough. 1st day and he was gone.

Agree with Slap, Niners collecting a lot of draft busts at the moment. I cannot imagine Martin in that locker room, doubt a lot of players run to his aid. He will get the cold shoulder IMO, however Harbaugh was his coach, maybe players will be accepting of him. I doubt he even makes the team.

ETA:

I don't give a ####, just get him the Eff out of here!!! Guy almost destroyed the franchise, I understand it was a 2 way street and he was a victim but the Miami Dolphins couldn't get him out of here soon enough. 1st day and he was gone.

Agree with Slap, Niners collecting a lot of draft busts at the moment. I cannot imagine Martin in that locker room, doubt a lot of players run to his aid. He will get the cold shoulder IMO, however Harbaugh was his coach, maybe players will be accepting of him. I doubt he even makes the team.
Could go either way. I despise him as much as anybody, but his poor play may have been at least partially attributable to the fact that he was uncomfortable in the locker room. If the SF locker room is a very different environment, maybe they will get the best out of him. I tend to agree that the talent just isnt there, and that the mental weakness just does not translate to this game, but whatever...he is gone, and this will be the last post I make about him Good riddance.

In other news...

According to CBS Sports, the Dolphins are close to re-signing DT Randy Starks.
Per Jason La Canfora, the deal will be worth around $6 million per season. Starks has been a highly effective run-stuffer for the Dolphins and will pair with newly-signed Earl Mitchell in that role next year. Paul Soliai has bolted for the Falcons.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Mar 12 - 8:03 AM

I really thought Starks was out of here. I like Soliai but truth is Starks has performed at an equal if not higher level than Soliai during stretches. This would really solidify that interior DL and then I simply want to go FA bargain barrel hunting at Corner.

Miami somehow is still $33M under the cap right now...anyone they want to make a play for they can, ANYONE.

I think they will have a field day picking up OL who were not signed right away. TO sign Grimes and Albert, Delmas and Mitchell to a lesser extent, and still be sitting on $33M in cap space with the likelihood now of Starks coming back to rotate with Odrick, Mitchell, AJ Francis, Aaitui all at DT, we look strong again.

I wish we could do more at LB but we are gonna have to rebuild through the draft for a couple LBs IMO. Dansby should have stayed here but they ran him out, suddenly has an All Pro season in AZ.

Sign Jimmy Graham to a big offer sheet........DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait we can't....he was franchise tagged.....sigh.

I would also welcome MJD in a heartbeat....and we can also draft another young RB....have Lamar Miller in the fold and dump Daniel Thomas and his horrible...horrible game.

Tate is intriguing. He is a tough between the tackles bowling ball as well with far less miles than MJD.

I would also welcome MJD in a heartbeat....and we can also draft another young RB....have Lamar Miller in the fold and dump Daniel Thomas and his horrible...horrible game.

Tate is intriguing. He is a tough between the tackles bowling ball as well with far less miles than MJD.
I like Pierre Thomas at an affordable price as much as MJD. Seems more durable, very well rounded, and can play 3 downs if needed. I assume Tate will be expensive, but MJD and PT may be very good free agent values. RB market is a buyers market right now.

I like Pierre Thomas at an affordable price as much as MJD. Seems more durable, very well rounded, and can play 3 downs if needed. I assume Tate will be expensive, but MJD and PT may be very good free agent values. RB market is a buyers market right now.
I think Miami can bring in a couple of RBs. I like MJD and he is used to Florida weather, he might like it here. I think he played college ball in SoCal IIRC. I think Miami should think about 2 RBs on the cheap, make Miller earn his playing time and dump Thomas, agree 100% there Todem.

Tate could be expensive Chuck but judging by the market it doesn't look good for RBs. We need a tough inside runner who can help close games out when we have a lead...we don't have that guy right now. I think they need to have a guy they can give it to 14-16 time a game that has some speed and then another 10-12 carries a game for a power runner who can close games out.

MJD/Thomas would be a nice 1-2 punch with Miller in the cuts as well.

The TE Miami should sign on the cheap is Owen Daniels to pair with Clay and that would give Miami all kinds of fun along the seams. I think Thill is better at throwing the inside and slant routes right now over the fly pet terns along the sidelines, think we can all agree on that. He can cut up defenses underneath and then maybe get lucky by lulling the defenses into thinking he won't go there. He has the arm to do it, he needs to work on his timing and pocket presence.

I think Miami can bring in a couple of RBs. I like MJD and he is used to Florida weather, he might like it here. I think he played college ball in SoCal IIRC. I think Miami should think about 2 RBs on the cheap, make Miller earn his playing time and dump Thomas, agree 100% there Todem.

Tate could be expensive Chuck but judging by the market it doesn't look good for RBs. We need a tough inside runner who can help close games out when we have a lead...we don't have that guy right now. I think they need to have a guy they can give it to 14-16 time a game that has some speed and then another 10-12 carries a game for a power runner who can close games out.

MJD/Thomas would be a nice 1-2 punch with Miller in the cuts as well.

The TE Miami should sign on the cheap is Owen Daniels to pair with Clay and that would give Miami all kinds of fun along the seams. I think Thill is better at throwing the inside and slant routes right now over the fly pet terns along the sidelines, think we can all agree on that. He can cut up defenses underneath and then maybe get lucky by lulling the defenses into thinking he won't go there. He has the arm to do it, he needs to work on his timing and pocket presence.
I think our new assistant OC comes from Houston if I am not mistaken. He should know all there is to know about Ben Tate. He looked good when he played, but he was hurt a lot for a backup RB.

Omar Kelley pointed out that if Cleveland signs him (he is there today), that we really don't have much competition for RBs in the draft if we decide to go that route.

Tate is looking to get paid, not worth it imo. LB, Safety and Guard glaring holes as of right now, it's almost worth it to take the cap hit on Wheeler just to get his stink off the roster.

I would take a big chance on a Chris Johnson as well....if he indeed get's cut by Tennesee. Plenty of RB's are out there plus the draft....so I am glad the Dolphins are not in any rush to sign a RB.

MJD - while very talented and a true 3 down back is old

Pierre Thomas - very versatile but also...fragile.

So all these RB's come with some degree of risk. But if we are patient and can land a player like Chris Johnson who played with a torn meniscus all season...I beleive he can be a valuable back in this west coast offense. He still has what it takes to be a playmaker......and that is what this team sorely lacks.

If you get a Chris Johnson and pair him up with Wallace and Clay.....you have three guys that can get you chunk yardage.

I'd love CJ2K and the money is certainly there....

The Donald Brown to SD has me thinking about Ryan Mathews future there.

Both backs are, I believe, straigh up stud RB talents. As are Mason and Hyde in the draft. But I think we should spend the draft looking at OL and LB. Pick up that guard out of UCLA in the first and grab Borland in the second or third.

Both backs are, I believe, straigh up stud RB talents. As are Mason and Hyde in the draft. But I think we should spend the draft looking at OL and LB. Pick up that guard out of UCLA in the first and grab Borland in the second or third.
I like both Tackles from Tennessee. The guy who was the lead writer for the now defunct pro Football Weekly will be releasing a pretty in depth scouting report for the draft later this month. I am going to buy it, cost is around $20 which is a little high but his information is great plus the book is something you can shelve and look back at years down the road to compare.

Anyone else want to give Hickey a solid "B" right now as he did address the need with Albert. BTW, Albert's deal is really 3yr/$25M, I can live with that as long as he plays a solid 14 games a season along the way. That was pretty good and we have 3-4 drafts between now and the time Albert turns 32 to find his long term replacement. I am warming up to Albert and giving Thill time to find Wallace.

The Safety and DT we got are OK, nothing special but it fills a need and allows us to have some wiggle on draft day.

If Hickey can go bargain hunting and get a couple more OL like maybe Davin Joseph for the right price or short term, also find a RB or even 2 to push Miller and Thomas to the bench, maybe find another weapon for Tannehill like Owen Daniels for a wicked little 1-2 punch with Clay cutting up the interior of defenses. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1st round-ILB form Alabama maybe, perhaps a strong RT prospect, either would work great. Tannehll needs time and bookend Tackles would go a long way.

I'm starting to sound like a Phinsfan again, someone kick me please.

Oh and Ross deserves the tax breaks if he spends the $400M from his pockets. I'll rail on Braman(huge opposition) is he tries to create trouble for Ross. Every other person who does this gets big tax breaks and as long as the taxpayers are not footing the bill for stadium renovations, let the man have his tax breaks.

We're not out of the woods just yet but things look good so far. I like what Hickey is doing so far.

Anyone else want to give Hickey a solid "B" right now as he did address the need with Albert. BTW, Albert's deal is really 3yr/$25M, I can live with that as long as he plays a solid 14 games a season along the way. That was pretty good and we have 3-4 drafts between now and the time Albert turns 32 to find his long term replacement. I am warming up to Albert and giving Thill time to find Wallace.

The Safety and DT we got are OK, nothing special but it fills a need and allows us to have some wiggle on draft day.

If Hickey can go bargain hunting and get a couple more OL like maybe Davin Joseph for the right price or short term, also find a RB or even 2 to push Miller and Thomas to the bench, maybe find another weapon for Tannehill like Owen Daniels for a wicked little 1-2 punch with Clay cutting up the interior of defenses. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1st round-ILB form Alabama maybe, perhaps a strong RT prospect, either would work great. Tannehll needs time and bookend Tackles would go a long way.

Oh and Ross deserves the tax breaks if he spends the $400M from his pockets. I'll rail on Braman(huge opposition) is he tries to create trouble for Ross. Every other person who does this gets big tax breaks and as long as the taxpayers are not footing the bill for stadium renovations, let the man have his tax breaks.

We're not out of the woods just yet but things look good so far. I like what Hickey is doing so far.
Somebody pinch me. MOP with a POSITIVE Dolphins' opinion?? :o

I totally agree though. Randy Starks coming back at 2/12 turned me from "Well he's doing ok" to "Hmm.. maybe this guy knows what's going on."

Certainly we still have a bit of a mess in the LBs after last year's FA but as you pointed out, the signings so far give us a lot of flexibility in the rest of FA and the draft. And now that the initial wave is over, we should be able to get some bargains out there with all our cap space.

I like both Tackles from Tennessee. The guy who was the lead writer for the now defunct pro Football Weekly will be releasing a pretty in depth scouting report for the draft later this month. I am going to buy it, cost is around $20 which is a little high but his information is great plus the book is something you can shelve and look back at years down the road to compare.
Being a South Carolina season ticket holder, I sadly am well aware of how good those UT tackles are. The LT(Richardson?) has a promising future. Despite that, Clowney had pretty good games against them.

I totally agree though. Randy Starks coming back at 2/12 turned me from "Well he's doing ok" to "Hmm.. maybe this guy knows what's going on."

Certainly we still have a bit of a mess in the LBs after last year's FA but as you pointed out, the signings so far give us a lot of flexibility in the rest of FA and the draft. And now that the initial wave is over, we should be able to get some bargains out there with all our cap space.
Yeah, about that Starks deal:

Oh, it might be worth that $6 million per year annual average if Starks maxes out and actually sticks around for the two seasons because there are $1 million in incentives each year -- in 2014 and 2015.

But the deal is actually for a total of $10 million with $5 million guaranteed in the form of the $2 million signing bonus and his $3 million base salary this coming season. The other $5 million comes in the form of 2015 base salary.

Aponte is a wizard with these contracts.

Oh, it might be worth that $6 million per year annual average if Starks maxes out and actually sticks around for the two seasons because there are $1 million in incentives each year -- in 2014 and 2015.

But the deal is actually for a total of $10 million with $5 million guaranteed in the form of the $2 million signing bonus and his $3 million base salary this coming season. The other $5 million comes in the form of 2015 base salary.

So $6M only counting about $3M against the cap. I would like to see more from Tannehill but I think they are paving the way to get him locked up long term. Owner loves him and his wife.

Don't give Aponte too much credit yet.

Ministry of Pain said:
Slapdash said:
Trey said:

So $6M only counting about $3M against the cap. I would like to see more from Tannehill but I think they are paving the way to get him locked up long term. Owner loves him and his wife.

Don't give Aponte too much credit yet.
Seems like Aponte has done an excellent job. We have loaded up on blue chip free agents for the past 2 years, and we somehow still have a boatload of cap room. I know a lot of that has to do with having a starting QB still on a rookie deal, but she has still done a great job. As an added bonus, she probably is a huge reason why Ireland was finally dismissed.

Tate is looking to get paid, not worth it imo. LB, Safety and Guard glaring holes as of right now, it's almost worth it to take the cap hit on Wheeler just to get his stink off the roster.
Tate's no better than Lamar Miller

Miller with no O-line

177- 709- 2, 4.0

Tate

181- 771- 4, 4.3

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins have "some level of interest" in free agent OLs Wade Smith, Daryn Colledge, Evan Dietrich-Smith, and Davin Joseph.

Smith, 33 next month, can play either guard spot, in addition to center. He hasn't missed a start in four seasons and spent the first four years of his career with the Dolphins. GM Dennis Hickey is doing his homework on offensive linemen. He still has to potentially fill holes at left guard, right guard, and right tackle.
Related: Dolphins, Davin Joseph, Daryn Colledge, Evan Dietrich-Smith

Source: Miami Herald

CB Cortland Finnegan to Miami at rumored $11mm for 2 years. :hifive:

G Shelly Smith to Miami at $5.5mm for 2 years with $1.5mm guarnteed :shrug:

Like the Finnegan move a lot; another high reward/low risk play in the secondary.

Slapdash said:
CB Cortland Finnegan to Miami at rumored $11mm for 2 years. :hifive:

G Shelly Smith to Miami at $5.5mm for 2 years with $1.5mm guarnteed :shrug:

Like the Finnegan move a lot; another high reward/low risk play in the secondary.
Sounds like the Grimes deal last year. I mean as the DB #2 opposite Grimes, sign me up!!! Miami is doing a really nice job of not overcommitting long term to these guys.

Beerguzzler said:
Finnegan? The guy has been AWFUL.
He has been but, as MOP pointed out, Miami isn't exactly committing to him or any FA outside of Albert and Mitchell beyond the next year. He is going to be competing with a couple of talented second year players who will hopefully overtake him. However, he will have the shot to prove he can play like he did earlier in his career for a cheap price.

ETA: Agree that Verner would have been a much better move.

Armando Salguero: Miami Dolphins’ quest to not overpay could slow rebuilding processI think these are well put concerns but I'm not sure I agree with them. You build a team through the draft, not free agency. I think Miami has done well to sign 5 players who can start at good value. And they've done it without burying young players on the roster before they get a chance or committing more long term money. I like the depth at G, LB, and RB in the first three rounds. A runner like Hyde or Mason is just the type I want to see.paired with Miller.

The real question mark is right tackle. Would hope to find someone who can start but there isn't too much out there. May have to burn the first pick there.

Armando Salguero: Miami Dolphins’ quest to not overpay could slow rebuilding process

I think these are well put concerns but I'm not sure I agree with them. You build a team through the draft, not free agency. I think Miami has done well to sign 5 players who can start at good value. And they've done it without burying young players on the roster before they get a chance or committing more long term money. I like the depth at G, LB, and RB in the first three rounds. A runner like Hyde or Mason is just the type I want to see.paired with Miller.

The real question mark is right tackle. Would hope to find someone who can start but there isn't too much out there. May have to burn the first pick there.
Strief resigned with NO so that really takes away the best RT remaining for Miami. They could always go after Penn and move him to RT, but that would be a gamble. Looks like the best OL remaining is Davin Joseph from TB. I think Hickey is going to need to grab one of these two to avoid reaching in the draft.

Another position that needs to be considered is TE. Is Keller going to come back? If not, there are some weapons out there Miami can add.

ChuckLiddell said:
Omar Kelly tweeted that McKinnie is being considered for RT
I don't love it but I don't hate it. He didn't play too terrible and obviously would like to stay in Miami. The name of the game is to have a starting OL that the staff feels comfortable enough to not reach for a position in the draft.

Still going to need to grab a guard and tackle in the first 4 rounds.

From PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/dolphins-looking-for-more-big-plays-from-lamar-miller/

Dolphins looking for more big plays from Lamar Miller

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 25, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
e3d4f914e2bbd661ced88b91b074e01d-e1395755064672.jpeg
Getty ImagesIn his second NFL season, Dolphins tailback Lamar Miller started 15 games and led the club in rushing.

Now, Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wants to seemore big plays from the Miami (Fla.) product, Philbin told reporters on Tuesday morning, according to the Miami Herald‘s Armando Salguero.

“There was definitely development. As we look to Year Three, we want a couple of more explosive runs,” Philbin said Tuesday, according to the Herald. “I think his pass protection improved but there’s still room for improvement there as well. I think he can do all three (things) you want a running back to do. He’s got good running skill, he can pass protect, he can catch the ball.”

The 23-year-old Miller, who’s known for his speed, had four rushes of 20 yards or more in 177 attempts last season. Overall, Miller gained four yards per carry.

According to Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post, Philbin indicated that Miller remains the starter, though the club is open to adding a running back for depth.

If they draft a RT first round, the offense is pretty much set outside of guard and possibly RB depending on what shakes down with Miller/Moreno/Mojo.

The defense still needs work though. If Patterson comes back on a cheaper deal it would help solidify the secondary, he was actually solid last year too bad he couldn't stay on the field. If the LBs play like they did last year then we're toast though.

Been hearing that Dallas Thomas has worked real hard this offseason, and has a decent chance to start at RT or G. If he can come in and start and even be an average player at either position, we will have only one position left to worry about on the OL. Not a bad place to be all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread