What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MLB 2013 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

FDAS said:
can someone tell me why Dusty Baker wears what looks like gardening gloves in the dugout? Is he handling petunias between innings?
Because Dusty is an idiot.
:goodposting: Whats with the 13 wristbands? He looks ridiculous out there.
He's 162 games over .500 in over 3000 games managed, which puts him 30th in the all-time list. Dusty gets criticized a lot for his lineup and in-game decisions and now apparently for his sartorial ones as well, but he's generally been successful.
He may very well be successful inspite of himself

FDAS said:
can someone tell me why Dusty Baker wears what looks like gardening gloves in the dugout? Is he handling petunias between innings?
He's 162 games over .500 in over 3000 games managed, which puts him 30th in the all-time list. Dusty gets criticized a lot for his lineup and in-game decisions and now apparently for his sartorial ones as well, but he's generally been successful.
Crazy how far the happy coincidence of joining the San Francisco Giants at the exact same time as Barry Bonds can take a manager.

FDAS said:
Crazy how far the happy coincidence of joining the San Francisco Giants at the exact same time as Barry Bonds can take a manager.
Fair enough but writing Bonds' name on the lineup card wasn't the only thing involved in managing him.

Man management has always been a tough thing to quantify when it comes to rating managers. That and media relations have always been among Baker's strengths.

Agreed to a point. There was a question awhile back about whether Tony LaRussa would have won as many titles with the Yankees as Joe Torre. The answer is that LaRussa was a better in-game manager, but wouldn't have worked the NY media or more importantly Steinbrenner, as well as Torre did. The Yanks had a team full of pseudo-managers that could essentially run themselves, but he was very adept at insulating the problem guys (Boomer Wells) from the media and fans for the most part.

That being said, Dusty is pretty awful in-game no matter how good his media relations are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you want to discount the intangibles, what Dusty has gotten out of the Reds pitching staff from 2010-2013 in that ballpark is unreal. Cueto has turned into an absolute ace on his watch, Bailey gets better every year, he helped Leake be successful straight from college, and Bronson Arroyo has more wins than any pitcher in the NL since he has been a Red. All in possibly the biggest hitters park in baseball. He and Price have something working.

FDAS said:
You may be underestimating how awful the Reds were when Dusty walked in. Coming off probably the worst decade in franchise history.

Even if you want to discount the intangibles, what Dusty has gotten out of the Reds pitching staff from 2010-2013 in that ballpark is unreal. Cueto has turned into an absolute ace on his watch, Bailey gets better every year, he helped Leake be successful straight from college, and Bronson Arroyo has more wins than any pitcher in the NL since he has been a Red. All in possibly the biggest hitters park in baseball. He and Price have something working.
Why would you give credit to Baker for any of that? Is he calling the pitches? Is he running side sessions? Its not like Dusty was a pitcher in his playing career either. He's stopped shredding arms, but that's just as likely a directive from the GM as anything else.

And the biggest hitters park in baseball is Colorado - its not close. GAB might be in the top 5, but top 10 is more likely.

FDAS said:
You may be underestimating how awful the Reds were when Dusty walked in. Coming off probably the worst decade in franchise history.
The ending the worst decade in franchise history had a lot more to do with getting rid of Jim Bowden than getting Dusty Baker.

Fair enough but writing Bonds' name on the lineup card wasn't the only thing involved in managing him.

Man management has always been a tough thing to quantify when it comes to rating managers. That and media relations have always been among Baker's strengths.
Yeah, I read or heard something a while back (maybe the old Up and In podcast?) about all the different jobs a manager has to do, and how strategy decisions are only a small part of it. Babysitter, teacher, ego manager, motivator, boss of coaching staff, etc. Definitely possible, maybe even likely, that Dusty is really good at all the stuff we don't see.

Problem is that we can only judge the stuff we do see. And also that it's possible to demonstrate those mistakes pretty clearly. And also that some of those mistakes (Cosart batting second, to name the most obvious one) are pretty easy to fix if you're not stubborn.

Why would you give credit to Baker for any of that? Is he calling the pitches? Is he running side sessions? Its not like Dusty was a pitcher in his playing career either. He's stopped shredding arms, but that's just as likely a directive from the GM as anything else.

And the biggest hitters park in baseball is Colorado - its not close. GAB might be in the top 5, but top 10 is more likely.
If we're not giving credit to managers for winning or their players improving under them, what managers are good?

My only point was this... the organization sucked in every way possible when he got here. The team is now good and winning. Let's not pretend that Dusty walked into a really good and just started coasting to victories. The team has been entirely rebuilt on and off the field since he's been there and he's been a part of that.

FDAS said:
The ending the worst decade in franchise history had a lot more to do with getting rid of Jim Bowden than getting Dusty Baker.
Debatable, but the timeline shows this...

2003 Bowden fired

2004 Reds Awful

2005 Reds Awful

2006 Reds Awful

2007 Reds Awful

2008 Baker Hired

2009 Reds Awful

2010-2013 Reds good

FDAS said:
Debatable, but the timeline shows this...

2003 Bowden fired

2004 Reds Awful

2005 Reds Awful

2006 Reds Awful

2007 Reds Awful

2008 Baker Hired

2009 Reds Awful

2010-2013 Reds good
All you need to do is take a look at the Pirates to understand how long it can take to recover from an abysmal GM.

Can't believe I've held onto Hart for this long, but I'm dumping him.

Some comments from Doug Melvin, Brewers GM with a Milwaukee station...

Now, Melvin says that the Brewers may need to wait until after the "Midsummer Classic" to see Hart, a former All-Star, return to action.

"He's taking batting practice. He's making some strides. They're small steps to get back. He's working out every day. We don't have a schedule. I don't anticipate it this week or next two weeks. We'd love to have him back after the All-Star break."

Now, Melvin says that the Brewers may need to wait until after the "Midsummer Classic" to see Hart, a former All-Star, return to action.

"He's taking batting practice. He's making some strides. They're small steps to get back. He's working out every day. We don't have a schedule. I don't anticipate it this week or next two weeks. We'd love to have him back after the All-Star break."
I'm still holding

ASG is July 7th

Head to head league hold, roto I wouldn't roster him from the get go anyway.

My current dl... This is on one team

Granderson, Harper, Jackson, Hill, Gyorko

And just today...

Burnett, Fowler, and Tulowitzki all hurt

Tulo broken rib, put on DL.

Guessing Rutledge is called back up, but I have no idea about how much playing time he will get.

Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Ian Kennedy received a 10-game suspension for intentionally throwing a pitch in the head area of the Dodgers' Zack Greinke, the steepest penalty of the eight issued by Major League Baseball in the teams' Tuesday night brawl.

Kennedy's pitch came in the bottom of the seventh inning, after a warning had already been issued to both clubs earlier in the game.

D-backs infielder Eric Hinske received a five-game suspension for leaving the dugout and for his aggressive actions during the incidents.

Pitcher J.P. Howell and infielder/outfielder Skip Schumaker of the Dodgers each received two-game suspensions for their aggressive actions.

Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire received a two-game suspension for his conduct.

Dodgers pitcher Ronald Belisario received a one-game suspension for his aggressive actions during the incidents.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly received a one-game suspension for the actions of his team and for his conduct.

D-backs manager Kirk Gibson received a one-game suspension for the intentional actions of Kennedy after a warning had been issued.

Has anyone figured out what Hinske did other than get punched by Puig?
I'd actually like to know how Beckett and Capuano avoided getting suspended
Wouldn't matter, you can serve a suspension while on the DL.
True, but it would cost Beckett almost $100K per game in lost salary
Exactly.

And call me crazy, but I'm fairly certain that he'll be off the DL someday.

Exactly. And call me crazy, but I'm fairly certain that he'll be off the DL someday.
Ya but he would just serve it now while he's hurt. Edison Volquez served an entire 50 game PED suspension while getting Tommy John lol

Been thinking about this considering the suspension to Kennedy. In terms of detriment to the team, its going to do nothing because the Dbacks have a stretch where they can go with 4 starters for 10 games coming up. This is only really an issue with SP suspensions, so maybe they need to separate the loss of pay and the loss of playing time. That way you could actually create effective pitcher suspensions.

I won't keep you in suspense any longer.

Baltimore enters the bottom of the 9th down 5-2 to the Red Sox. Jones singles, Weiters homers. 5-4.

Hardy singles with one out. Alexi Casilla pinch runs.

Flaherty hits a routine shallow fly ball to Victorino in right. Casilla is pulling up at 3rd base when he catches it. The jerkoff had one job to do, and he forgets how many outs there are. Victorino could have jogged to 1st base to double him up, but he throws it to first anyway.

How do you even walk into the clubhouse after that...

I won't keep you in suspended any longer. Baltimore enters the bottom of the 9th down 5-2 to the Red Sox. Jones singles, Weiters homers. 5-4. Hardy singles with one out. Alexi Casilla pinch runs. Flaherty hits a routine shallow fly ball to Victorino in right. Casilla is pulling up at 3rd base when he catches it. The jerkoff had one job to do, and he forgets how many outs there are. Victorino could have jogged to 1st base to double him up, but he throws it to first anyway. How do you even walk into the clubhouse after that...
:lmao:

Cobb (the guy lost in all the Matt Moore talk) took a liner off the head. Doing as well as can be expected. Minor concussion, never lost consciousness.

Video

Imagine that at some point, pitchers are going to start being required to wear helmets or some type of protection.

Why shouldn't they be wearing helmets? It's kind of ridiculous actually. The freaking third base coach sometimes wears a helmet, and he has way more reaction time.

Users who are viewing this thread