What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Modern Family Thread (1 Viewer)

It was a great show in the early seasons but has been tough to watch for probably the last 4 or 5 seasons. A couple laughs, good enough for background tv while we talked.

Glad it's over.

We really enjoyed the look back as well. Wife liked the last half hour but I preferred the first half focused on Cam and Mitch and Cam’s decision. Really impressed with how much the kids developed into funny characters as adults as that doesn’t happen often with child actors. Show may not be as fresh as it was those first five or six years but still consistently funnier than most shows on tv. We agreed with Sofia Vergara when she said “why do we have to end?”

Last edited by a moderator:
We really enjoyed the look back as well. Wife liked the last half hour but I preferred the first half focused on Cam and Mitch and Cam’s decision. Really impressed with how much the kids developed into funny characters as adults as that doesn’t happen often with child actors. Show may not be as fresh as it was those first five or six years but still consistently funnier than most shows on tv. We agreed with Sofia Vergara when she said “why do we have to end?”
We had the opposite feeling about the kids. Haley was about the same but the rest became horrible actors as they got older and were much funnier as kids. Manny and Luke were painful to watch the last few years.

We had the opposite feeling about the kids. Haley was about the same but the rest became horrible actors as they got older and were much funnier as kids. Manny and Luke were painful to watch the last few years.
Agreed.  At least Luke had some really funny moments along the way, even if they were usually in the physical comedy category.  Manny was a useless character from start to finish.  He made just about every scene he was in worse. 

And the new kid, Joe, was well on his way.  I just can't believe anyone finds that kind of too-adult dialogue out of a little kid to be funny, and yet they fell hard right into that same trap other shows so often fall into.

Agreed.  At least Luke had some really funny moments along the way, even if they were usually in the physical comedy category.  Manny was a useless character from start to finish.  He made just about every scene he was in worse. 

And the new kid, Joe, was well on his way.  I just can't believe anyone finds that kind of too-adult dialogue out of a little kid to be funny, and yet they fell hard right into that same trap other shows so often fall into.
How wude

One of the few shows that wife and I still watch(ed) together. Admit it had gone downhill slightly but after so many episodes it was probably inevitable. I think the problem with the kids wasn’t all bad acting but that they were somewhat one dimensional characters. Manny as a character was more to play off of and not funny on his own. Alex in some respects as well. Haley’s husband gets old fast and is basically a cartoon. Still amazing how long it went though, it was jarring watching the look back. 

One of the few shows that wife and I still watch(ed) together. Admit it had gone downhill slightly but after so many episodes it was probably inevitable. I think the problem with the kids wasn’t all bad acting but that they were somewhat one dimensional characters. Manny as a character was more to play off of and not funny on his own. Alex in some respects as well. Haley’s husband gets old fast and is basically a cartoon. Still amazing how long it went though, it was jarring watching the look back. 
I don’t think they ever had a long term plan for what to do with the kids. I’m not sure that any family show really ever does. The character arcs for the kids were all pretty terrible though (when you actually think about it, there weren’t a whole lot of character arcs for any of the characters). All of the kids were essentially afterthoughts by the last few years. Once they started graduating high school their stories were just filler. 

Ultimately the show was about Jay and his kids. His kids’ marriages and families naturally were a big part of that, but ultimately the most important characters were Jay, Claire and Mitch and I think the writing at the end definitely reflected that. What happened to Haley, Alex, Luke, Lilly (and Manny and Joe since they were more like grandkids in a lot of ways), was most important in how their lives and decisions affected their parents and grandfather.

Users who are viewing this thread