What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2012 Thread*** (4 Viewers)

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Drunken Cowboy said:
Keith Law ranks the Pirates as the 8th best farm system right now

However it is a rather mixed review:

The Pirates' top tier of prospects is very strong, but there's surprisingly little depth given how high they've drafted and how much they've spent on amateur talent.
What really sucks is that obviously the money has been there the past few seasons for the draft and foreign players, however, the money spent may not translate to the final player. You cannot fault anything regarding Pedro Alvarez. He was the best bat in that draft. It seems like they may have gambled and spent money on kids that they shouldn't have though and saved some cash for MLB players. Although I guess we really won't know for a few more years. And now that the spending advantage for the draft has been somewhat taken away by the new CBA, the opportunity is seemingly squandered.
MLB players that would have gotten them to 75 wins? Cliff Lee wasn't walking through the door. Neither was Carl Crawford, Mark Teixeira or CC Sabathia. I think investing the money in the draft and international markets was absolutely the right move, even if it ultimately doesn't work out.
Well my point was that perhaps they gambled and spent on the wrong players. And if they were spending just for the sake of spending, maybe they should have instead banked the money for future years or extending Cutch, or being able to sign better free agents.
The problem isn't the spending of the last few years. It is that they have only been doing it for a few years.
I think their more recent strategy of building through the draft and paying over slot is a better approach than drafting "safe" guys like Daniel Moskos and picking up proven veterans like Matt Morris.But I reserve the right to change my opinion if A.J. Burnett takes the mound on opening day.

'Drunken Cowboy said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
I like acquiring AJ but what about a bat at 1b?
I like it if the Yankees pick up 100% of his salary and don't ask for anything in return, but otherwise it is dumb.
I would need to see how much salary the Yankees will eat, but if it ends up being essentially a 4 mil per deal, it is not horrible. A change of scenery might do Burnett some good, and if he pitches well, they can flip him at the deadline. He is a good bet for 200 IP, and a move out of New York and to the National League Central might be just what he needs.

I like it if the Yankees pick up 100% of his salary and don't ask for anything in return, but otherwise it is dumb.
Dont agree at all. Last I heard today, the Bucs would be paying him 6M per year with NYY picking up the other 10.5M. Considering Jones is seemingly off the table (not that I like him that much anyway, but we need a 1B) and the best prospect we give them is a top 20-30 guy, I think there is almost nothing to lose by getting Burnett. He instantly becomes the #1 starter and easily the most likely to lead the team in innings and strikeouts.

Burnett has the best chance of being the top pitcher on the staff if you look at their current rotation. What needs to be pointed out is that acquiring him would be proof the team wants to win sooner rather than later before the current players in the clubhouse believe the opposite is true. The housecleaning a couple of years back was, in part, due to players grumbling that management was not serious about steps toward winning. So, guys like Jack Wilson and Adam LaRoche had to go, once they connected the dots.

Dealing with the Pirates is difficult for any team if salary is involved. The Bucs want to pay Burnett far less than $13 million or so over the next 2 years. No one presently makes 6+ mil a year on the roster. The only reasons they could break precedent and ante up is to get to the 50 million payroll amount, which they are below, and because Burnett will be shipped to a contender by August anyway if he pitches well. I imagine the team would ask for mediocre prospects in return since that is what they tend to get.

A final thought---Oakland, presumably a small-market team can pay a Cuban superstar 9 miilion a year for 4 seasons, but the Bucs were never cited as a team in the mix. Why is that? Well, we know the FO would never agree to 9 million a year over 4 seasons. That spells trouble for extending McCutchen.

Supposedly the Pirates were in on Cespedes, but I doubt they were in the 35mil range. Maybe they just didn't believe, or maybe they're just cheap.

6mil a year + a prospect in the 15-20 range is a good investment for AJ. I think he'll be decent in PNC Park. He's actually a good guy and I think he'd be someone the "kids" would benefit from having around. (Note, Morton/JMac/Karstens aren't kids any more even though they're inexperienced)

Can you name the Pirates opening-day lineups from 1991 through last season?This is pretty pathetic when you look at the guys from about 1995 though 2007 or so.http://www.sporcle.com/games/johnmadden/pirateslineups#
Just tried this, it was fun...Shocked/saddened I was able to get 145 out of 180 right. Despite that, I couldnt even name Clement as 1B starter in 2010, Moss as RF starter in RF. Completely spaced on Jose Castillo who started at 2B for three years in a row. Couldnt name anyone in our infield in 2004 besides Jack Wilson (Simon, Bobby Hill?, Chris Stynes) :lol:Was able to name the entire lineup in 91, 93, and 08. Kirk Gibson hitting leadoff for us in 92 was news to me!

I'm not sure if the hold-up on the Burnett deal is money, or if the Yankees just want a better return on the prospect front. With the Bucs, you'd think money is the sticking point. But maybe NY has a particular player they covet before they agree on a financial split.

Just sayin'

Seems like Huntington has scuttled a lot of "pretty good " trades trying to make them perfect. Maybe it's not bad but it sure is annoying.

I don't know if anyone has kept a scorecard on NH and trades---both consummated and rumored---but the running theme is the salary dumping and the reluctance to take on salary.

Supposedly, NH turned down a deal for Cliff Lee that would not have cost much, before Lee began pitching well again.

What speaks volumes to me about the state of affairs is that Derrek Lee would rather retire/stay away than accept a reported one-year 8 million dollar deal with the Bucs. He connected the dots long before arriving in Pittsburgh and was reluctant to play for the Pirates when dealt. Given how well he played while here, you'd think he'd shun retirement for another season at least.

I'm not sure if the hold-up on the Burnett deal is money, or if the Yankees just want a better return on the prospect front. With the Bucs, you'd think money is the sticking point. But maybe NY has a particular player they covet before they agree on a financial split.Just sayin'
The hold up is the Yankees have no leverage and the Pirates haven't caved to their demands.

'dparker713 said:
'monessen said:
I'm not sure if the hold-up on the Burnett deal is money, or if the Yankees just want a better return on the prospect front. With the Bucs, you'd think money is the sticking point. But maybe NY has a particular player they covet before they agree on a financial split.Just sayin'
The hold up is the Yankees have no leverage and the Pirates haven't caved to their demands.
Agreed. If the Pirates give up even a decent prospect for Burnett, they are fools. A couple players for organizational depth should be plenty.

Dont agree at all. Last I heard today, the Bucs would be paying him 6M per year with NYY picking up the other 10.5M. Considering Jones is seemingly off the table (not that I like him that much anyway, but we need a 1B) and the best prospect we give them is a top 20-30 guy, I think there is almost nothing to lose by getting Burnett. He instantly becomes the #1 starter and easily the most likely to lead the team in innings and strikeouts.
He will have an ERA above 5. Maybe he still ends up being the Bucs number 1, but if he is they are getting anywhere near .500 and they would be better off keeping their prospects and spending the money on some international prospects.

'monessen said:
I would also put out there the hold up could be Burnett not wanting a trade.

Seems like the Yanks are trying to introduce some leverage now by claiming Cleveland has made an offer for AJ. Posturing? Very likely.

NH brought in Jeff Locke via trade to do what? Let's give him a shot in the rotation. He was up for a cup of coffee last year. Didn't do that well, but deserves a chance.

He will have an ERA above 5. Maybe he still ends up being the Bucs number 1, but if he is they are getting anywhere near .500 and they would be better off keeping their prospects and spending the money on some international prospects.
He's been somewhat unlucky to post ERAs over 5 the past two seasons and he'll be getting out of both a bad park and a tough offensive division and moving to a good park and a poor offensive division. And ERA under 5 is unlikely.

'monessen said:
I would also put out there the hold up could be Burnett not wanting a trade.
AJ has a limited no-trade and the Pirates aren't on it. Its only teams on the west coast, seemingly because his wife is from the east and is afraid to fly.

He's been somewhat unlucky to post ERAs over 5 the past two seasons and he'll be getting out of both a bad park and a tough offensive division and moving to a good park and a poor offensive division. And ERA under 5 is unlikely.
I don't know what makes you say this. If you look at his BABIP, it should have been worse last year.

I don't know what makes you say this. If you look at his BABIP, it should have been worse last year.
He had an insanely high HR/FB of 17.0% last season. His xFIP the past two years was 3.86 and 4.49.

After a couple of seasons with NY, it's evident the Yanks don't want AJ or don't think he can help them. They want to be able to sign players who can help. Any player that the Yanks want to eat a big chunk of salary for in order to be rid of tells us a lot. If he is acquired and deemed the best pitcher in the rotation going into 2012, it is a reflection of the Pgh front office's inability to assemble a good starting staff.

If Maholm has a nice year---better than Burnett---it will represent another mistake. Seemingly, the only basis for paying Burnett 7 million this year is so the Bucs can leapfrog Oakland in payroll and not be last in MLB.

Burnett, Barajas, Barmes, Bedard---players in the twilight of "what could have been" type careers.

UPDATE

PITTSBURGH -- The Yankees and Pirates are close to a trade that would send pitcher A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh for two minor leaguers.

Pittsburgh agreed it would pay $13 million of the $33 million salary due the right-hander for 2012 and 2013, a person familiar with the negotiations said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement has been made. The sides still were working on the payment schedule for the amount the Yankees would cover, the person said.

Once the agreement is reached, it must be approved by Commissioner Bud Selig because of the cash involved.

New York is likely to use the money saved to sign a designated hitter, with Raul Ibanez appearing to be its first choice.

A 35-year-old right-hander, Burnett has gone 34-35 with a 4.79 ERA during three seasons with New York, including 11-11 with a 5.15 ERA last year. His average of 3.98 walks per nine innings was second in the AL and fifth in the majors during that span among pitchers with 400 or more innings, according to STATS LLC.

Burnett became superfluous when the Yankees acquired Michael Pineda from Seattle in a trade and agreeing to a one-year deal with free agent Hiroki Kuroda. They joined holdovers CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia.

In Pittsburgh Burnett would join a rotation that includes newly signed Erik Bedard and returnees James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Jeff Karstens. Charlie Morton is recovering from hip surgery in October. When Morton is available, Karstens could return to the bullpen and spot starts.

It's official:

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Pirates and New York Yankees reached an agreement today that will send right-handed starter A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh, according to a source.

The Yankees will pay $20 million of the remaining $33 million owed Burnett over the next two seasons, and the Pirates will send two prospects to the Yankees, the source said.

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig must approve the transaction because it involves a transfer of more than $1 million. The deal is also pending a physical.

Serious negotiations lasted more than a week between the two teams.

It is not known which prospects will be involved, though reports suggested that right-hander Diego Moreno could be one of them. They will not be high-level prospects; a source indicated earlier in the week that the Pirates preferred to pay more of Burnett's salary rather than part with higher-caliber prospects.

Burnett, 35, went 11-11 with a 5.15 ERA last season and had a 5.00-plus ERA in each of the past two seasons. He signed a five-year, $82.5 million contract before the 2009 season after opting out of a five-year, $55 million deal with the Toronto Blue Jays.

The money Pirates will contribute to Burnett's salary will raise the Pirates' estimated 40-man roster payroll to about $51 million.

Unable to lure free agent starters such as Edwin Jackson to Pittsburgh, the Pirates turned to the trade market, where the Yankees made Burnett available due to a crowded rotation and, of all things, salary cap concerns. The Yankees wanted to clear Burnett's salary, according to reports, to sign a left-handed designated hitter and hope to reduce their salary to less than the $189 million luxury tax threshold in 2014. They had seven pitchers competing for rotation spots after acquiring Michael Pineda and Hiroki Kuroda during the winter.

The New York Mets drafted Burnett in the eighth round of the 1995 draft, but he made his debut with the Florida Marlins in 1999. He pitched for the Marlins for seven seasons before signing as a free agent with the Blue Jays in December 2005.

In 2008, Burnett's 18-10 record and league-leading 231 strikeouts in 2211/3 innings in Toronto created the opportunity for a larger contract, and he seized it by opting out and signing with the Yankees. His time in New York, however, has been rough. He had a 34-35 record in three seasons and a 4.79 ERA. He led the league in wild pitches in 2009 and '11, and in hit batsmen in 2010.

For all his struggles, Burnett provides the Pirates' rotation with durability and swing-and-miss pitches, something the pitch-to-contact staff lacked in 2011. He made at least 32 starts in each of the past four seasons and pitched at least 1862/3 innings in each of those seasons. He struck out 8.3 batters per nine innings over the past four seasons and struck out 173 in 1901/3 in 2011.

The Pirates' rotation struggled with durability last season and could face similar issues this year. Charlie Morton had surgery in October to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. He and pitching coach Ray Searage recently said he was ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation, but he could miss the start of the season. Kevin Correia ended the season on the disabled list due to a strained oblique, Jeff Karstens skipped starts due to fatigue and Erik Bedard, a free-agent signing, has a history of injuries. McDonald also had a mild oblique injury in spring training, and given his early struggles after returning to the rotation, the Pirates may be cautious with Morton.

Acquiring Burnett will force the Pirates to adjust the rotation. They could move Karstens to the bullpen, where he has pitched before, but he was one of the National League's best starters for portions of last season. They could also wait to see how Morton progresses, or if one of their starters struggles or gets hurt in spring training, and decide at that time.

Can somebody that follows baseball more than me please tell me why this was a good trade?
162 games x 9 innings/game = 1458 innings. Burnett should be able to eat about 180 of those at a little above replacement level. For this year anyway, he's probably a better value than Bedard, Correia or Karstens. But AJ will have do more to be worth $8M in 2013

Can somebody that follows baseball more than me please tell me why this was a good trade?
162 games x 9 innings/game = 1458 innings. Burnett should be able to eat about 180 of those at a little above replacement level. For this year anyway, he's probably a better value than Bedard, Correia or Karstens. But AJ will have do more to be worth $8M in 2013
Exactly. The team does not mind a $5 million salaried SP who chews up big totals of innings. No way he is around in 2013 in Pgh for 8 million.

'Eephus said:
'toenail_23 said:
I think Karstens is probably a better pitcher and makes way less money.

'toenail_23 said:
Because we got a legit starting pitcher for 2 warm bodies. I dont see what there isnt to like. Its not like Im getting money pulled out of my paycheck for Burnett's salary.

'Eephus said:
'toenail_23 said:
I think Karstens is probably a better pitcher and makes way less money.
Karstens is horrible. His numbers last year were smoke and mirrors. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up being the 5th best starter for the Bucs in 2012.

Position Battles

I don't think the lineup is terrible this year. I might even feel decent about it if they had brought back Lee.

I had forgot they signed McLouth. I still have some hope he can regain his form back in the Burgh.

'Drunken Cowboy said:
Position Battles

I don't think the lineup is terrible this year. I might even feel decent about it if they had brought back Lee.

I had forgot they signed McLouth. I still have some hope he can regain his form back in the Burgh.
Lee really was key. The Pirates really need a big stick at 1B. I'm not thinking Jones or Mcghee are the answers.

'Drunken Cowboy said:
Position Battles

Lee really was key. The Pirates really need a big stick at 1B. I'm not thinking Jones or Mcghee are the answers.
Lee isnt the answer either.
Lee was great down the stretch last year.

Well, we finally got word of Coonelly's DUI arrest today, two months after the fact:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/12054/1212185-100.stm

I am not piling on the guy inasmuch as this is not so much a baseball issue as it is personal. Yet, the gent maintains presumably the most prominent FO position with a club of which the public maintains a negative perception to start with, is a visible and vocal person in the community, and there are a few loose ends in the newspaper account. Had one of the players done what Coonelly did, there'd likely be sanctions levied by the ownership or MLB than simply accepting an apology.

Well, we finally got word of Coonelly's DUI arrest today, two months after the fact:http://post-gazette.com/pg/12054/1212185-100.stmI am not piling on the guy inasmuch as this is not so much a baseball issue as it is personal. Yet, the gent maintains presumably the most prominent FO position with a club of which the public maintains a negative perception to start with, is a visible and vocal person in the community, and there are a few loose ends in the newspaper account. Had one of the players done what Coonelly did, there'd likely be sanctions levied by the ownership or MLB than simply accepting an apology.
Which MLB player/exec/manager has had sanctions levied against them for a DUI?

Well, we finally got word of Coonelly's DUI arrest today, two months after the fact:http://post-gazette.com/pg/12054/1212185-100.stmI am not piling on the guy inasmuch as this is not so much a baseball issue as it is personal. Yet, the gent maintains presumably the most prominent FO position with a club of which the public maintains a negative perception to start with, is a visible and vocal person in the community, and there are a few loose ends in the newspaper account. Had one of the players done what Coonelly did, there'd likely be sanctions levied by the ownership or MLB than simply accepting an apology.
Which MLB player/exec/manager has had sanctions levied against them for a DUI?
Probably none, and therein lies the rub. MLB is more interested in fines against Tweeting during a game, or John Rocker's freedom of speech. In fact, if a player is a superstar, he can actually get his 50-game suspension overturned despite testing off-the-charts positive for a banned substance.

Position Battles

Lee isnt the answer either.
He's a better answer than G.I. Jones...I think the lineup should be better than it was last year, but it really hinges on Pedro turning it around and Cutch, Tabata, Walker, and Presley all to stay healthy. There bats at C and SS are terrible and theyre well below average at 1B as well. Improved baserunning and more stealing attempts from Presley, Cutch, and Tabata could do wonders.

Right on all counts. I think Lee's late season tear clearly warranted another season as the Bucs first-baseman. But he was not eager to remain a Pirate, hoping his hot finish would net him an offer from a contender instead. He turned down, supposedly, 8 million.

Alvarez might be the most scrutinized player in MLB early in 2012. Even a partial comeback from him would be encouraging. Looks like Hurdle will have to work some magic on getting some offense out of some aging vets and the young but seemingly often injured players. McCutchen, though, is certainly primed to break out as a superstar. Lots of incentive for him to be the man to carry this group. Of course, the Catch 22 is that the better he performs, the more likely his tenure in Pgh is short. Yes, the ownership is that ignorant.

What's the over/under on Bedard's GS? Maybe 22?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alvarez might be the most scrutinized player in MLB early in 2012. Even a partial comeback from him would be encouraging.
He looked completely lost at the plate last year. If he dedicates himself, he gives the Pirates big time power they really need. I think .260 is his peak as far as average goes, though.

Of course, the Catch 22 is that the better he performs, the more likely his tenure in Pgh is short. Yes, the ownership is that ignorant.
Don't you think there's a number beyond which the ownership shouldn't go to sign McCutchen? Would you really want them to do a Kemp like extension?

Alvarez might be the most scrutinized player in MLB early in 2012. Even a partial comeback from him would be encouraging.
He looked completely lost at the plate last year. If he dedicates himself, he gives the Pirates big time power they really need. I think .260 is his peak as far as average goes, though.
Supposedly he was working out with a trainer all winter in Cali and is in great shape. IIRC, they said he lost 20 lbs. We shall see if thats true shortly. Doesnt mean his hitting will improve, but at least it would be a start.

Of course, the Catch 22 is that the better he performs, the more likely his tenure in Pgh is short. Yes, the ownership is that ignorant.
Don't you think there's a number beyond which the ownership shouldn't go to sign McCutchen? Would you really want them to do a Kemp like extension?
Well, if you mean Steve Kemp, no.The Bucs have already established McCutchen as the bad guy in the long-term scenario for an extension. Here's how:1. To sign an extension at what resembles market-value, McCutchen likely will want some evidence that ownership is spending enough toward building a winner.2. Ownership can then retort they cannot build a winner under market-value constraints (which they will label "demands"), so McCutchen, in their estimation, will have to accept much less than requested---a home town discount.3. McCutchen and agent balk at the Pirates' rebuff, believing ownership has enough moolah to satisfy both needs--improving the roster and offering a market value contract.4. Ownership takes their case to the public, citing McCutchen's "selfish" financial demands and "lack of cooperation in negotiating," thereby giving the Nuttings a context for letting McCutchen walk away or trading him and receiving far less than his value in return. The Nuttings have all the leverage in this situation and will assert that no one player should dictate the team's salary structure as the FO strives to build a competitive team.

Burnett bunted a ball off his face today, flown back to Pittsburgh to check it out....and the curse continues :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't renewed my 10 game package yet. I am kind of pissed that they didn't hold my seats and I would be moved back a bunch of rows and no more aisle. I will be more pissed, however, if this season they breakthrough and after getting tickets for the last 6 seasons I wasn't there. Then again, I am getting married and every dollar counts. #### I don't know what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread