What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (7 Viewers)

I really wish the AEW PPV was cheaper. I won't shell out that much $$ and I bet a lot of others feel the same. It makes me concerned for their future if they are already on such a shoe-string budget they have to charge that much. They should have put it at 19.99 (even if it meant taking a reduced profit or even a loss) just to get people in the door for their product. 
How much is it?

A thought experiment, if you will...

As Ryan Satin mentioned above, it appears that the European title will be revived tonight on RAW.  Were I lord and master of the WWE Universe, this is what I'd do.

I would set up the European title to function as a means to promote the WWE in Europe. Specifically, the European championship would be defended a lot in NXT UK and any WWE-affiliated promotions in Europe. This would work similar to how the NWA World Champion used to hit the territories to wrestle against the local top guy. The NXT UK champion would get a program with the European champ.  Each time the NXT UK champion changed, at some point he's put into a program with the European belt on the line. The UK champ would also come to the US to wrestle on RAW/SDL to get exposure over here.  In this way, you strengthen your brand presence on another continent and you give UK wresters exposure here to see if they're worthy of a future main roster call up.

Going further, I'd establish the secondary titles as quasi-territories. I'd give Shane-O-Mac the European title, HHH the IC belt, and Bruce Pritchard the US belt. Contenders for the Universal title would be determined by a committee of HHH, Shane, Pritchard and Vince (all of this kayfabe). The Universal champion would have to face a title holder on a fairly regular basis in addition to his regular feuds. (This would have its roots in boxing, where committees determine who the #1 contender would be - thus giving the E more of a sports feel to satisfy FOX.) Should a secondary title-holder win the Universal title, the secondary title is vacated and a tournament for a new champion crowned.

If I'm picking an initial  European champ, I'm going with Drew McIntyre - someone who is an honest to goodness European. In a tournament, I'm probably throwing in Finn Balor (even if he is the IC champ), Cesaro, and other non-Americans I can find.  The goal initially is to have a European hold that belt. Afterwards, book it as you wish.

more on the title Essentially you could've just gotten rid of 205 live or just changed the rules for the Cruiserweight title. 

"okay so yesterday my source was saying European title and he has found more info. It will not be the European title coming back, apparently this new title has the elements of the hardcore title 24/7 rules apply, Extreme championship is the name this is a mid card title meant for Richochet, Ali, high flyers on the main roster pretty much"

more on the title Essentially you could've just gotten rid of 205 live or just changed the rules for the Cruiserweight title. 

"okay so yesterday my source was saying European title and he has found more info. It will not be the European title coming back, apparently this new title has the elements of the hardcore title 24/7 rules apply, Extreme championship is the name this is a mid card title meant for Richochet, Ali, high flyers on the main roster pretty much"
So...plans changed, Dave Meltzer?

Oh good a Lars exclusive in Ring Interview. Are we gonna get his opinion these days on Jews, Blacks, CM Punk, Stephanie, if girls deserve to be sexually assaulted and there interesting topics he hid behind a keyboard and commented on yrs ago? 

Brock injured some production crew members (Camera crew) when he threw the ladder last night. It also hit people in the crowd. No word if there was any injuries in the Crowd. Brock doesn't give a #### 

Mick Foley has now the distinction of debuting the last two new wwe titles and the two titles we don’t care about. Both times he was booed out of the building

So, the new title is the Hardcore title, just not as cool.
And that's my main gripe with it. I mean we don't have to sugarcoat things here. This is a jobber title. And that's okay, because the hardcore title was a jobber title as well.

The problem here is that the PG era of WWE doesn't lend itself to this kind of title. Nobody really cares much about jobbers, but at least the violence and weapons they could use back in the attitude era made the matches worth paying attention to. All this title is is a watered down Hardcore Lite belt. You're just going to have an ordinary match, it just won't be inside the ring. They still can't use weapons. The worst they'll do is a chairshot to the back. These are going to be painstakingly boring matches in the backstage, and the title will fade from TV fairly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's my main gripe with it. I mean we don't have to sugarcoat things here. This is a jobber title. And that's okay, because the hardcore title was a jobber title as well.

The problem here is that the PG era of WWE doesn't lend itself to this kind of title. Nobody really cares much about jobbers, but at least the violence and weapons they could use back in the attitude era made the matches worth paying attention to. All this title is is a watered down Hardcore Lite belt. You're just going to have an ordinary match, it just won't be inside the ring. They still can't use weapons. The worst they'll do is a chairshot to the back. These are going to be painstakingly boring matches in the backstage, and the title will fade from TV fairly quickly.
Within 2 hours of the belt's debut, more black wrestlers have held that title than the Universal and WWE championships combined. :coffee:

Another thought experiment...

AEW debuts its weekly show on TNT - supposedly on October 1st. Now, let's assume WWE continues to pull a 2.2 - 2.4 number (a likely assumption). What happens if AEW starts pulling a solid 1.5 - 1.8 every week?  Initially, I see it pulling a solid number - heck, it may even beat the E for a week or two. But let's say the E continues around a 2.3 and AEW gets a 1.7.  How would you interpret those results?

I hang up and listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 24/7 title is dumb.  Guys running around pretending to chase the champ throughout the building is dumb.  Then so was the icy hot in the shorts dance that happened a few weeks ago.  That was royally dumb.  Maybe the kids laughed.  

The 24/7 title is dumb.  Guys running around pretending to chase the champ throughout the building is dumb.  Then so was the icy hot in the shorts dance that happened a few weeks ago.  That was royally dumb.  Maybe the kids laughed.  
It's really just a way to get more people involved on a weekly basis. My guess is this will generate a lot of posts to WWEs social media. 

It's really just a way to get more people involved on a weekly basis. My guess is this will generate a lot of posts to WWEs social media. 
Exactly. They might as well have called this the wwe.com or the @wwe title. It's going to get a ton of play on social media and it will probably be held by those with a more aggressive presence on twitter, Instagram, etc.

Couple of random thoughts:

Brock with the briefcase is the most Brock thing ever. It's also the biggest FU to the IWC that wants to complain about 7 men killing their bodies and he just climbs the ladder. It's storytelling, and it's the story they are telling. It would have been 100 times better if after Zayn was hurt and Braun removed from the building to see HHH on the phone declaring "there will be an 8th man in that match, you have my word, even if I have to put on my boots myself!!" Then you don't have shock/confusion when the 8th man shows up and it makes better sense.

Seth Rollins is pretty good at wrestling. The guy has a dozen moves that would have been finishers at any other time in pro wrestling. I have been watching old WCCW stuff, especially after watching Dark Side Of The Ring, and just wish I could put Rollins into a time machine and send him to Dallas in the early 80's. Chris Adams with a kip-up and Kevin Von Erich with a crossbody off the top rope was the extreme of high-fliers/athletic wrestlers. Rollins would have made heads literally explode. 

Ashem said:
Ashley Massaro's affidavit when she sued the WWE.

In it, she says she was drugged and raped while overseas at a Tribute to the Troops event in Kuwait. She also claimed that when she spoke to Vince, he told her to shut up so it wouldn't affect the company and its relationship with the US Military. 
Typical. Many People don't realize the sexual assault to female military members epidemic that happens. Most are told to just Shut up and deal with it as many of the men being accused are high ranking officers or high ranking special OPs guys. This is no different then the President giving a Pardon to the NAVY SEAL who's committed heinous war crimes. Men under his command were literally threaten to be stripped rank all the way down to private if they continued to try and get an investigation. And unfortunately the military isn't the only place. Look at FSU and PSU among other colleges and I'm sure it happens at Fortune 500 Companies and else where. It's a dam shame. 

Yeesh. Looks even more dark now with the rape thing...

Some of that has to be on Vince if the reports are true.
I said if this is concussion related or injuries per WWE time or depression this will not look good for WWE when I first reported it suicide. This day and age is anyone surprised when this stuff is covered up? 

Even when AEW screws it up, it still feels like the its doing the right thing. 

A pretty good run-through of the PAC-Page situation.  I'll give props to AEW to giving the fans a taste of what could've been by flying Page to England to have a match with PAC. It's not the match hardcore fans would've wanted, but instead of blowing off the fans, AEW tried to make chicken salad out of the situation.

A woman dies in a sad and tragic way, but hey, way to get that win that "your sources" got something right. You are the worst.
Wow all I said was TMZ unfortunately confirmed my report. not bragging about it. But hey I get this board is full of triggered happy "I got offended by something" people. 

Wow all I said was TMZ unfortunately confirmed my report. not bragging about it. But hey I get this board is full of triggered happy "I got offended by something" people. 
@Bogart has a point. It definitely looked to me like you were spiking the football over having your source confirmed. 

Truthfully, you didn't need to say anything. We can read the sheets. Once the original story came out, most anyone could've figured out it was either a drug overdose or suicide. Such details or "reporting" were unnecessary; a young woman is dead and her tragic story came to a sad end. 

If you left out the part that said "confirms my sources", you probably would've been fine. But, the reliance on "sources" to make yourself seem to be in the know is unnecessary. We just want you to kick around the news of the day and the various goings on with the rest of us. Because, in the end, this is wrestling and there's nothing that breaks in pro wrestling that's the equivalent of the McMahon/Zahorian steroid trial or Watergate. It's all just fluff.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread