What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official putting together an Audiophile system - electric boogaloo*** (2 Viewers)

I'm building an amp for some high end Gallo speakers I'm not using properly (rears in an atmos system).  It's a simple diy kit  sold complete for $317, or you can do what I just did and order the parts and power supply for $170 and do something else for the chassis. Nerdiest of the audio geeks in the diyaudio forums have put this amp through all kinds of measurements and it supposedly performs like something in the $1k-2k range. We'll see. That link to pre-order will be sold out very fast. I missed it by a few hours last time they had it ready for sale.

Funny this was bumped.  I was just thinking how much I am enjoying my new setup

New receiver probably soon.   Not sure how crazy I want to get with extra amps and such.  I'm not that too into it :)

So last night I finally figured "what the heck" and set up my system to be 7.1 with the side surrounds.

Wow have I been missing a lot!

Playing the new Saving Private Ryan 4k disc was astonishing.

So last night I finally figured "what the heck" and set up my system to be 7.1 with the side surrounds.

Wow have I been missing a lot!

Playing the new Saving Private Ryan 4k disc was astonishing.
This was the route I wanted to go but my current basement setup would not benefit

I was amazed how much better with front highs to be honest.

Any decent 4k projectors out?

This was the route I wanted to go but my current basement setup would not benefit

I was amazed how much better with front highs to be honest.

Any decent 4k projectors out?
True 4k - anything good is expensive and anything inexpensive isn't that good.

If I were to buy a sub-$2k projector today it would be either the Epson Home Cinema 4000. Another option is the Optoma UHF60, but I prefer LCD to DLP.

Does anyone by chance own a Denon AVR-S970h receiver?

BB has a floor model for around $250 and I have been thinking of upgrading from my Pioneer Elite VSX-80 to something with Atmos.

Wondering if it's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older Denon - nothing but good things.   I can give you the model when I get home if it matters at all.  

Does anyone by chance own a Demon AVR-S970h receiver?

BB has a floor model for around $250 and I have been thinking of upgrading from my Pioneer Elite VSX-80 to something with Atmos.

You sure that's the right model? Can't find a S970H anywhere.

Generally speaking Denon > Pioneer Elite at the same model level, ie if the VSX-80 is a low to mid level, which I think it is, then the Denon should be better.

Questions around what speakers your driving and room equalization are a factor as well. I've had speakers sound phenomenal on a Rotel, like crap on an Onkyo and phenomenal on a Denon... and all were roughly the same model level using the same amp (Rotel) and same speakers (Paradigm).

Ooops. AVR-S930H is the model.

KEF for FL/C/FR. Definitive 10" sub.

A mishmash otherwise.

I'm building an amp for some high end Gallo speakers I'm not using properly (rears in an atmos system).  It's a simple diy kit  sold complete for $317, or you can do what I just did and order the parts and power supply for $170 and do something else for the chassis. Nerdiest of the audio geeks in the diyaudio forums have put this amp through all kinds of measurements and it supposedly performs like something in the $1k-2k range. We'll see. That link to pre-order will be sold out very fast. I missed it by a few hours last time they had it ready for sale.
Which ones? I have their 5.1 setup, and also had a pair of their Classico CL-4's, that I've since sold. Good stuff. 

Ooops. AVR-S930H is the model.

KEF for FL/C/FR. Definitive 10" sub.

A mishmash otherwise.
Both are roughly the same power, can't find what the video processor is, but the Pioneer has a Marvell. If you want Atmos I don't think you're going to lose anything you currently have in the Pioneer and the audio will likely be a bit better.

Has anyone every purchased anything from Peachtree audio?  I'm looking at getting their new M24 powered speaker as my new computer speaker/semi-portable Bluetooth speaker set.  Probably overkill, but they look pretty cool and I want to give them a shot.  The company is supposedly designed around doing digital audio in a audiophile type way.  Been looking at some of their amps for a small 2ch system for a long time, but just never went ahead with it.

Has anyone every purchased anything from Peachtree audio?  I'm looking at getting their new M24 powered speaker as my new computer speaker/semi-portable Bluetooth speaker set.  Probably overkill, but they look pretty cool and I want to give them a shot.  The company is supposedly designed around doing digital audio in a audiophile type way.  Been looking at some of their amps for a small 2ch system for a long time, but just never went ahead with it.
I've read good things about them but have never auditioned anything from them.

So I'm not sure which direction to go with my system - as everything is about 5-10 years old at this point.  55" 1080p Sony KDL-55ex500 TV (not smart), Onkyo 606 (7.1 with HD audio codecs - nothing above 1080, no Atmos, blah blah), PS3 for blu-ray, home theater computer for streaming, JBL n38ii front towers, polk cs2 center, polk m10 surrounds (x4), and a polk psw505 sub.  Nothing sucks, but nothing is great (or new - no 4k component at all).  Son is finally getting to be old enough to enjoy movies with dad, and of course he's not picky on audio/video quality. 

Would like to eventually go to a 7.2.2 (or possibly 7.2.4) Atmos type system, with 4k capability.  I imagine first step is a new receiver - looking at the Onkyo 787 but $700 for a receiver seems crazy.  I can get an Onkyo 676 for less than half of that (but it's only a 7.2, not 9.2).  Then a 4k capable display....then a 4k capable streaming device.  And really my speakers are kinda crap in today's world I'd imagine.  Suggestions?

Look for open box/previous year stuff for the audio components, including speakers. Anything that doesn't have moving parts is normally okay to buy open box and saves a lot of money.

Look for open box/previous year stuff for the audio components, including speakers. Anything that doesn't have moving parts is normally okay to buy open box and saves a lot of money.
I've also had good luck with refurbs a lot of places will give you the same warranty on a refurb as something that's brand new

jwb said:
Which ones? I have their 5.1 setup, and also had a pair of their Classico CL-4's, that I've since sold. Good stuff. 
These are Strada 2s. I was going to slowly invest in a Reference Strada home theater system and started with these. Then the guys in the diyaudio forums blew me away with what they build for 20% of what I was facing. CL-4s are awesome. I have CL-2s in my bedroom.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
These are Strada 2s. I was going to slowly invest in a Reference Strada home theater system and started with these. Then the guys in the diyaudio forums blew me away with what they build for 20% of what I was facing. CL-4s are awesome. I have CL-2s in my bedroom.
Yea, Strada's are really nice. Gallos have incredible imaging - every seat in the room is the sweet spot.

Just did this with new Headphones ... seems Sennheiser is updating their Urbanite XI wireless which had been listed at $299.  I've seen it for 149, and got an open box new for under 100.

While hardly reference level, they are a great deal for everyday over the ears or even just use around the house. Also, one of the better options I've used for electronic media and Bluetooth, which often comes off overly harsh, especially when it's not the highest quality recording or really packed in bps. 

Imaging is only ok, but base, detail, response and tone are really solid for the price. And great GUI as you just swipe the right headset to advance, rewind, make calls etc and it has like 25 hours of listening on only a two hour charge. 

Getting jealous of the Gallo and Strada talk... gonna be a couple years at least as the life rebuild has to occur before any major system rebuild (at least I was able to upgrade on the cyber Monday Pioneer Elite... really should get me new tubes to set up my audible illusions Tubed pre and McCormack solid state power amp. 

The answer is an emphatic "Yes!"

The upgrade to Atmos is as noticeable as going from SD to HD video.

When you laugh out loud because of how good it is, it says something. 

This looks pretty sweet, anybody with any experience?   Believe this was talked about earlier in the thread a year or so ago, but back then it was needing to run a wire to under your couch/chair, now it looks to be wireless.   Not cheap though...$524 for the wireless amp and one bass shaker

http://soundshaker.com/

Yea, Strada's are really nice. Gallos have incredible imaging - every seat in the room is the sweet spot.
I sold them dirt cheap!  :cry:

Long story not shortened enough. I ended up with 2 of the amp kits mentioned above. I waited for some audio nerds to finish the build and share pointers. I built them last week. There's no exaggeration in the praise found in those forums. The Stratas never sounded better. 8 pure class A watts for $170 is an improvement over a 125 watt $1000 Denon. Not. A. Fair. Fight.

I let my musician friend check this amp. It didn't drive his mains anything like the Stradas, so he hooked it up to a couple cheap Behringer passive monitors (through a nice pre amp) then freaked out. This isn't a party amp, but with a little eq the cheapies sounded like the Stradas; sound was everywhere, full, and more detailed than his powered professional monitors (Yamaha HS8s). Less than $200 for the Behringers 10 years ago. So like an idiot I fetched the Stradas from the backseat of my car. Through his set up, oh my. I was robbed by an old friend posing as a starving musician who refused to let them leave his home.

I met this guy before kindergarten so I guess I'm glad he has them. I think. 

The only reason for posting is the amp. I'm using Chromecast Audio as the source then into the Gallo CL-2s. They don't sound nearly as detailed hooked up to the far more expensive and powerful Denon. Next time they have it ready for sale, don't hesitate. I will e-help anyone with the build. Even with speakers with the right sensitivity to make these 8 watts sound not like the band is in your house, but like you're in the band. A few hundred can sound like several thousand did a couple decades ago. What a time to be alive.

I sold them dirt cheap!  :cry:

Long story not shortened enough. I ended up with 2 of the amp kits mentioned above. I waited for some audio nerds to finish the build and share pointers. I built them last week. There's no exaggeration in the praise found in those forums. The Stratas never sounded better. 8 pure class A watts for $170 is an improvement over a 125 watt $1000 Denon. Not. A. Fair. Fight.

I let my musician friend check this amp. It didn't drive his mains anything like the Stradas, so he hooked it up to a couple cheap Behringer passive monitors (through a nice pre amp) then freaked out. This isn't a party amp, but with a little eq the cheapies sounded like the Stradas; sound was everywhere, full, and more detailed than his powered professional monitors (Yamaha HS8s). Less than $200 for the Behringers 10 years ago. So like an idiot I fetched the Stradas from the backseat of my car. Through his set up, oh my. I was robbed by an old friend posing as a starving musician who refused to let them leave his home.

I met this guy before kindergarten so I guess I'm glad he has them. I think. 

The only reason for posting is the amp. I'm using Chromecast Audio as the source then into the Gallo CL-2s. They don't sound nearly as detailed hooked up to the far more expensive and powerful Denon. Next time they have it ready for sale, don't hesitate. I will e-help anyone with the build. Even with speakers with the right sensitivity to make these 8 watts sound not like the band is in your house, but like you're in the band. A few hundred can sound like several thousand did a couple decades ago. What a time to be alive.
:blackdot:  This is what keeps me coming back to the FFA. Any experience with BAT tube amps? The1750s? 

Where to start? Speakers or amps?  

:blackdot:  This is what keeps me coming back to the FFA. Any experience with BAT tube amps? The1750s? 

Where to start? Speakers or amps?  
No experience beyond listening at an audio show (which is always a lame way to listen). I have an original EL84 tube amp from the late 60s. The last time I heard it was about 7 years ago and it sounded incredibly warm which caused nostalgia. I'll get it out when I have a permanent residence.

Where to start? What do you seek?

Audio? Audio Video? 

I would start with a subwoofer. The big mistake with subwoofers is not having them. Some start with a good DAC and even better headphones. I just hate having them on my ears, messes with the tinnitus. Most of my investment is in equipment I use less than what's hooked up to this PC (home theater). I wouldn't swap a great home theater experience for a better (non pc) music set up. The HT makes music just fine. I'm running my best audio for just music from this pc now and should have done so sooner (the cl-2s and diy amp through a humble audio interface). If on a budget I'd probably start by spending more time at diyaudio than here until you had what you wanted. 

I have to figure out what to do with the cheap Behringer monitors I took in trade. Turns out they've impressed smarter people than me. They won this bookshelf monitor shootout in 2009

Getting a new 4K TV soon so want to make sure my receiver is setup to support it properly.  (Present receiver only goes up to 1080i)

I’m looking for a Denon receiver that supports 7.2 setup (with two high fronts) with good 4K upconverting and quality surround sound features. For TV, sports and movies (not a gamer).   I’m fine with refurbished receivers. Hoping to spend around $500 area

When researching my head starts to spin a bit. Any recommendations for best bang for the buck? 

ETA: if matters, my speaker/sub setup is 5.1 Kef e305  (and two high front Polk Audio satellites)

Getting a new 4K TV soon so want to make sure my receiver is setup to support it properly.  (Present receiver only goes up to 1080i)

I’m looking for a Denon receiver that supports 7.2 setup (with two high fronts) with good 4K upconverting and quality surround sound features. For TV, sports and movies (not a gamer).   I’m fine with refurbished receivers. Hoping to spend around $500 area

When researching my head starts to spin a bit. Any recommendations for best bang for the buck? 
Best bang will be certified refurb from Accessories 4 less. This Denon AVR-X2400H or this Denon AVR-X3400H seem to fit your requirements.

Best bang will be certified refurb from Accessories 4 less. This Denon AVR-X2400H or this Denon AVR-X3400H seem to fit your requirements.
thanks!  I was actually looking at refurbs on Accessories 4 less.    Zoned in on below two for some reason, but no real reasoning behind it.    Would you recommend the two you linked over either of these and curious why so I know what to look for/distinguish

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1500h/denon-avr-x1500h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs930h/denon-avr-s930h-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

The X series is their higher end series, which means better components. I went 2400/3400 for the high wattage amps.

Got it.   Chatting with Accessories4Less now and they actually linked/recommended the Denon X3400H that you did as well as this below Marantz which they say is a sister company.  Still Denon over this Marantz?

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5012/marantz-sr5012-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
Marantz is the higher end of the two brands, so better components than the Denon. I'd probably go Marantz in all honesty.

Marantz is the higher end of the two brands, so better components than the Denon. I'd probably go Marantz in all honesty.
Saw something online comparing these 2 with this comment..has me leaning to the Denon X3400

Notice that Marantz SR5012 upscales only up to 4K/30p, while others upscale up to 4K/60p.

Saw something online comparing these 2 with this comment..has me leaning to the Denon X3400

Notice that Marantz SR5012 upscales only up to 4K/30p, while others upscale up to 4K/60p.
It's really going to depend on the source, and I am not a fan of upscaling in general. I prefer to keep sources native, less chance of artifacts being introduced.

I pulled the trigger on the Denon X3400H.  Probably a bit of overkill for my needs, but seemed like the best bang for the buck.   Right or wrong I'll probably be upscaling my 4K content more often than not through Cable, etc so the better upscaling than the Marantz and the level up of Audessey tuning capabilities and the +10 watts per channel over the Denon 2400 sold me.   Seemed like a good deal.

I pulled the trigger on the Denon X3400H.  Probably a bit of overkill for my needs, but seemed like the best bang for the buck.   Right or wrong I'll probably be upscaling my 4K content more often than not through Cable, etc so the better upscaling than the Marantz and the level up of Audessey tuning capabilities and the +10 watts per channel over the Denon 2400 sold me.   Seemed like a good deal.
:thumbup: Don't think you can go wrong with either tbh. I may wind up pulling the trigger on the Marantz Pre-amps they have....but I'd like to upgrade my amp first. Decisions....decisions.

@Hawks64

Not sure if you know but will ask anyways...

Have a nice wall mount that I use presently for my 55” set that is 72lbs.  The mount is rated to hold up to 100lbs but states for 42”-70” sets. 

I just purchased new 75” set that is 77lbs and the mounting holes look to line up nicely.  Even if mount states only use up to 70” sets, you think still safe to use if below max weight range?

offdee said:
@Hawks64

Not sure if you know but will ask anyways...

Have a nice wall mount that I use presently for my 55” set that is 72lbs.  The mount is rated to hold up to 100lbs but states for 42”-70” sets. 

I just purchased new 75” set that is 77lbs and the mounting holes look to line up nicely.  Even if mount states only use up to 70” sets, you think still safe to use if below max weight range?
Yep, as long as the weight works, I'd use it. Often these were made before sets before there were X size mounts.

Ok thx

So if it's mainly movies TV video games X better choice?

Well, it was worth it until the speaker connectors started shorting out. But that just made me be on the prowl for an upgrade - and brother, did I find it.

Best Buy had the Marantz SR5013 floor model for half price (originally $1k) and I got them to knock off another $50.

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR5013

The sound is SO much more natural and enveloping. There's no harshness at all in any of the treble/mid/bass range. My trusty KEF speakers have never sounded so good!

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install ceiling speakers to really get the Atmos effect. The front height setup works okay, but for Atmos they really should be overhead.

Well, it was worth it until the speaker connectors started shorting out. But that just made me be on the prowl for an upgrade - and brother, did I find it.

Best Buy had the Marantz SR5013 floor model for half price (originally $1k) and I got them to knock off another $50.

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR5013

The sound is SO much more natural and enveloping. There's no harshness at all in any of the treble/mid/bass range. My trusty KEF speakers have never sounded so good!

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install ceiling speakers to really get the Atmos effect. The front height setup works okay, but for Atmos they really should be overhead.
Why didn't you go with a 9 channel amp?  I'm thinking that will be my next upgrade in a year or two - 9 channels so I can do a 7.1.2 setup. 

Users who are viewing this thread