What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

So, I mentioned over in the countdown thread that I'd scored October tickets to see Run The Jewels do Run The Jewels 2 in LA. I didn't pick RTJ4 and immediately the prices are about $250 when I would have paid $50. Oh well.

But I'm listening to RTJ2 and RTJ4 and I'm wondering how RTJ4 got skipped for Grammy consideration. It's that dope of an album. RTJ2 is when they were still hungry in the rap world, so I might like it more regardless.

EIther way, super stoked about being able to go see the show.

Just wanted to say that Killer Mikes album Michael is my album of the year thus far. Nas is second. So yea if you haven’t listened to “Michael” definitely do.

Possibly going to see both RTJ2 and RTJ4 in October. The twelfth and the fourteenth. We'll see if I re-sell the tickets or get motivated to go to L.A. for the shows.

Curiosity got the better of me so I listened to the new Kanye West/Ty Dolla Sign album. I've been making a conscious effort to avoid Kanye so I haven't been following the pre-release drama. The album itself is generally pretty good, probably better than I wanted it to be. BACK TO ME, BURN and FUK SUMN are bangers. I wasn't locked in on the lyrics and I'm sure Kanye says some regrettable ####--there's a track called PROBLEMATIC that fulfills its destiny. For a guy with his ego, Kanye has historically worked well with others and Ty and the numerous guests do their part here.

The album doesn't need to be 55 minutes long but the killer/filler ratio is better than the average rap album I've listened to lately. There are supposedly two more volumes on the way so it may reach Donda level sprawl but for now it's a pretty listenable package. It's not an album I'll return to again and again but I don't regret the hour I spent with it.

Curiosity got the better of me so I listened to the new Kanye West/Ty Dolla Sign album. I've been making a conscious effort to avoid Kanye so I haven't been following the pre-release drama. The album itself is generally pretty good, probably better than I wanted it to be. BACK TO ME, BURN and FUK SUMN are bangers. I wasn't locked in on the lyrics and I'm sure Kanye says some regrettable ####--there's a track called PROBLEMATIC that fulfills its destiny. For a guy with his ego, Kanye has historically worked well with others and Ty and the numerous guests do their part here.

The album doesn't need to be 55 minutes long but the killer/filler ratio is better than the average rap album I've listened to lately. There are supposedly two more volumes on the way so it may reach Donda level sprawl but for now it's a pretty listenable package. It's not an album I'll return to again and again but I don't regret the hour I spent with it.

I am not sure if I love or hate that you have the first post in this thread in over a year and it's about Kanye. I can't stand him but I also can't knock his talent as a producer and you have me thoroughly intrigued.

I'll always have lots of love for Kanye and his contribution to hip hop and art/music in general. One of the best runs in hip hop history with his first 4 or 5 albums rivaling Cube and Ghostface in their prime. Now I just pick and choose songs in his releases but there's always a few gems. Look forward to checking this one.

Still love how he flipped this sample around the :25 mark: https://youtu.be/hrFdHVqgjYQ?si=NlLaljO5tU2Z4fnS

I am not sure if I love or hate that you have the first post in this thread in over a year and it's about Kanye. I can't stand him but I also can't knock his talent as a producer and you have me thoroughly intrigued.

I only made it about four songs in but Little Simz new album didn't grab me at all.

Don't let the troll even have a response. It was a troll post by a guy who once said that Sean Taylor hung out with thugs, so he wasn't surprised by his murder. And then kept doubling down and insisting people were taking him the wrong way.

Just read that thread a few weeks ago. Safe to say JohnnyU knows nothing about black/urban culture.

Don't let the troll even have a response. It was a troll post by a guy who once said that Sean Taylor hung out with thugs, so he wasn't surprised by his murder. And then kept doubling down and insisting people were taking him the wrong way.

Just read that thread a few weeks ago. Safe to say JohnnyU knows nothing about black/urban culture.
I was under the impression at the time Taylor knew his attackers and apologize for ever posting about Sean Taylor at that time. Yes, I regret that a lot.

Last edited:

He's an easy mark. I don't mind entertaining trolls on occasion and find the hip hop isn't music argument amusing. What is this, 1988 again? :ROFLMAO:

Back to the thread. I just read an article in Pitchfork about Kanye and his Nazi sort of fascination—or his seeming adoption of a lot of the aesthetics and symbols of other neo-Nazis. Just seemed wildly uncool. There's nothing like a swastika or anything like that, but there are other symbols and connections that don't look good. Like wearing the shirt of Scandinavian death metal band Burzum, whose lead singer is reportedly serving 20-plus years for murder and who had Nazi sympathies.

Just a bad look all around for Kanye with the repeated Hitler **** and antisemitic craziness.

Back to the thread. I just read an article in Pitchfork about Kanye and his Nazi sort of fascination—or his seeming adoption of a lot of the aesthetics and symbols of other neo-Nazis. Just seemed wildly uncool. There's nothing like a swastika or anything like that, but there are other symbols and connections that don't look good. Like wearing the shirt of Scandinavian death metal band Burzum, whose lead singer is reportedly serving 20-plus years for murder and who had Nazi sympathies.

Just a bad look all around for Kanye with the repeated Hitler **** and antisemitic craziness.
I do believe be was on Alex Jones once explaining why he liked Hitler so much.

I do believe be was on Alex Jones once explaining why he liked Hitler so much.

Yeah, I read that. That's when you've passed the "I'm cancelled unjustly" zone and moved into more fertile territory for people with complaints.

Like I said in another thread, for somebody who made the whole raison d'être of his music career cultivating himself in his music (the product you were buying was the ambivalent/outsider/genius Kanye emcee and disc jockey) he sure isn't giving us much to root for.

I listened to Vultures I, and from the production, it doesn't sound ahead of the game. He seems like he's following in trap steps and really just regurgitating rap from the younger generation that came after him.

How respected were 3rd Bass? Came up on my playlist these guys were pretty good
They were legit but very short lived. Only had 1 or 2 albums if I recall accurately

Prime Minister Pete Nice had an interesting second act running a baseball memorabilia store in Cooperstown, pleading guilty to fraud regarding items of questionable authenticity and running a sports bar in Boston with Ken Casey of Dropkick Murphys.

They were legit but very short lived. Only had 1 or 2 albums if I recall accurately

Prime Minister Pete Nice had an interesting second act running a baseball memorabilia store in Cooperstown, pleading guilty to fraud regarding items of questionable authenticity and running a sports bar in Boston with Ken Casey of Dropkick Murphys.

Pete is a good follow on IG. He curates at the Hip Hop Museum and always posting cool flyers and memorabilia on his page.
https://uhhm.org

Serch always seemed like a bit of a cornball to me. The beef between him and Pete is pretty funny. They still don't like each other and refuse to mention each other's names :ROFLMAO::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOOBcyYdd4

They also had some solo efforts but nothing to the level of 3rd Bass. I think their best work was outside the group working with artists. Serch had a big hand in managing Nas in his Illmatic debut and Pete Nice bringing on guys like Zev Love X aka MF DOOM.

Users who are viewing this thread