What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Seattle NBA NHL teams placeholder*** (4 Viewers)

Looks like some local big wigs in Sacramento are making a push to buy the team and keep it there. I kind of hope they succeed. I'd much rather have a team that couldn't be saved in town.
From the sound of it there might be legs to the story of the Kings staying. As long as the Maloofs leave town I would be happy.

Looks like some local big wigs in Sacramento are making a push to buy the team and keep it there. I kind of hope they succeed. I'd much rather have a team that couldn't be saved in town.
From the sound of it there might be legs to the story of the Kings staying. As long as the Maloofs leave town I would be happy.
I'd be happy for you. I want a team, but I don't want to do what was done to us. If Sacramento gets their #### together and can keep the kings and get the Maloofs out, do it, and I don't want your team.If you can't, I'll root for them hard when they come up here.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLineJust going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say
:confused: 525 large for 65%???
Can't see how Hansen can be profitable in that scenario. The Warriors sold for $450 million and the Hornets sold for $338 million, and neither of those teams have gone on spending sprees since then.Oh well, I gotta give credit to the Maloofs for sticking to their guns. They would have lost money if they'd moved to Anaheim (or if they would have sold the team 2 years ago).

No Maloofs. They only own the 65%.
Just figured that out. They actually only own 53%, but have a partnership with a guy who owns 12%, so they can sell 65% and gtfo.Kevin Johnson is a stud. Wish we'd had a mayor like that a few years back. This totally sucks for Sacramento.

Kind of ironic that Seattle is going to do to Sacramento what they so despised was done to them.
That actually isn't irony at all, Alanis, even supposing that the two situations are identical. Go read this. Learn something. Thank me later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of ironic that Seattle is going to do to Sacramento what they so despised was done to them.
That actually isn't irony at all, Alanis, even supposing that the two situations are identical. Go read this. Learn something. Thank me later.
A group of people decrying a deed while simultaneously engaging in said deed would be hypocritical. What makes it ironic is the fact that they are oblivious to the hypocrisy.Not that it matters. I doubt many would care anyway.

The city of Seattle was duped by two lying owners and a commissioner who never had any intention of keeping the team in the city, despite the fact that the fans had supported the team for years.At least the Maloofs and Hansen are being honest with everyone before the sale even takes place.

I'm from the Puget Sound area, but don't mistake me for a fan that would choose to have the team back. That said, these are no where near the same situation.When the Sonics were purchased the new owners put on a long facade with regard to keeping the team in Seattle. At the same time there was evidence discovered that they never had any intentions with regard to keeping the team in Seattle.
is a well done documentary on what happened. Its a two hour long film. If this deal goes down there will be no mistaking the intentions of the new owners.EDIT: On second thought, please don't reply to me. I see you've been informed already and have decided to defend your uneducated opinion no matter what. Typical.

The city of Seattle was duped by two lying owners and a commissioner who never had any intention of keeping the team in the city, despite the fact that the fans had supported the team for years.At least the Maloofs and Hansen are being honest with everyone before the sale even takes place.
Kind of like how the Maloofs promised they were committed to keeping the team in Sacramento and if prompted to sell would allow local buyers to match any offer.Obviously, it's totally different :lol:

A group of people decrying a deed while simultaneously engaging in said deed would be hypocritical. What makes it ironic is the fact that they are oblivious to the hypocrisy.Not that it matters. I doubt many would care anyway.
So the fact that, in your mind, people are oblivious to their hypocrisy makes irony? That's what you're going with?Just admit that you didn't know what irony is, but thanks to reading my link now you do. You don't even have to thank me later if you don't want to. Nothing to be ashamed of, most people have problems with English.

So the fact that, in your mind, people are oblivious to their hypocrisy makes irony? That's what you're going with?Just admit that you didn't know what irony is, but thanks to reading my link now you do. You don't even have to thank me later if you don't want to. Nothing to be ashamed of, most people have problems with English.
Yes, that's what makes it irony. The denial of the obvious hypocrisy. I thought that was pretty clear in my original statement.Why the insistence on continuously being a ####?

Yes, that's what makes it irony. The denial of the obvious hypocrisy. I thought that was pretty clear in my original statement.Why the insistence on continuously being a ####?
In my own special way, I'm asking you the same question

In my own special way, I'm asking you the same question
You went on a linguistic wild-goose chase because you were angry I called out Seattle for being hypocritical?You're the one getting the team. I don't see why you need to be so hyper-sensitive.Edit: Ohhhh, this is about the gun legislation thread. I get it. You sure do carry around grudges.

Kind of like how the Maloofs promised they were committed to keeping the team in Sacramento and if prompted to sell would allow local buyers to match any offer.Obviously, it's totally different :lol:
Seattle is in full rationalization mode if they think they got screwed worse than Sacramento did by their owners. I don't think yesterday's news changed anything. We knew that deal was going to get done. It was going to come down to Kevin Johnson trying to convince the board of governors to force the Maloofs to take a matching Sacramento offer. It sounds like Johnson is confident on the buyer front. And he has an arena deal in place. I doubt a pro team has ever been ripped from a city under those circumstances, which makes it particularly sad that it will probably happen here.

Man, people are dumb. The people of Seattle aren't doing anything. They're just sitting there watching while this goes down. There is nothing ironic or hypocritical about it.

You went on a linguistic wild-goose chase because you were angry I called out Seattle for being hypocritical?You're the one getting the team. I don't see why you need to be so hyper-sensitive.Edit: Ohhhh, this is about the gun legislation thread. I get it. You sure do carry around grudges.
No. Others pointed out that you don't understand the situation and you ignored them. I pointed out that you don't even understand the words you're using to describe the situation, and now you think I'm being sensitive and this is about guns. I was unaware we have ever argued about guns, and I've said multiple times I hope the city of Sacramento gets it together and keeps their team. I can see why others decided not to engage you. I will now do the same. You're not looking any better the more you post in here.

I'd be happy for you. I want a team, but I don't want to do what was done to us. If Sacramento gets their #### together and can keep the kings and get the Maloofs out, do it, and I don't want your team.If you can't, I'll root for them hard when they come up here.
this is a good posting

this is an ironic/hypocritical posting
FYP

this is an ironic/hypocritical posting
At least the Maloofs and Hansen are being honest with everyone before the sale even takes place.
I'm from the Puget Sound area, but don't mistake me for a fan that would choose to have the team back. That said, these are no where near the same situation.
From reading Seattle forums this is the general attitude. Proninja even made comments alluding to the similarities before trying to make an argument now that somehow it's totally different. I'm not blaming the people of Seattle. I pointed out that it's ironic (which it is) that they got hosed in a similar way and yet when the shoe is on the other foot they are suddently oblivious to the similarities. In the end they just want a team, much like the people of Oklahoma City.

Wow, this thread went from very informative to a train wreck so quickly. God bless the FFA :(
I'm sorry for my part. All I said was I found the situation ironic. I thought it was a pretty harmless statement, but it obviously upset people. This is how it started:
I find that response bizarre. There is obviously some other bitterness there that I am unaware of and it got dragged in here.

I pointed out that it's ironic (which it is) that they got hosed in a similar way and yet when the shoe is on the other foot they are suddently oblivious to the similarities.
Simillarities? Sure. Both were NBA teams getting moved. Its ends there. Clay Bennett lied too many times to count. He got caught in the lies with regard to keeping the team in Seattle, but it made no difference to Stern and the NBA. They put on a show that last for quite some time. Look man, every understands that you don't want to learn the details. You don't care about that. You're much more interested in winning a pissing match over the definition of the word irony. But don't think yourself so high and mighty to be throwing around judgment like this.
In the end they just want a team, much like the people of Oklahoma City.
No, "they" don't. I don't. Plenty of people don't. I would not choose to have an NBA team in Seattle. I understand that others in the area would want one, but I'm not one of them. Sports franchises hold cities hostage and milk them for all they can. I think its a joke. If I had it my way Seattle would have kept the Seahawks and let the others go. Why? Because from a selfish standpoint that's the only team I'm interested in. Hell, I still have my Tampa Bay Mariners t-shirt. The fact that I would choose not to have an NBA franchise in Seattle doesn't mean I'm blind to what happened. Clay Bennett lied and strung the people of Seattle out putting on a dog and pony show. Stern backed his play even after he got caught when the emails surfaced confirming that the new owners had intended to move the team all along.Okay. You go now and have the last word.

I pointed out that it's ironic (which it is) that they got hosed in a similar way and yet when the shoe is on the other foot they are suddently oblivious to the similarities.
Simillarities? Sure. Both were NBA teams getting moved. Its ends there. Clay Bennett lied too many times to count. He got caught in the lies with regard to keeping the team in Seattle, but it made no difference to Stern and the NBA. They put on a show that last for quite some time. Look man, every understands that you don't want to learn the details. You don't care about that. You're much more interested in winning a pissing match over the definition of the word irony. But don't think yourself so high and mighty to be throwing around judgment like this.
In the end they just want a team, much like the people of Oklahoma City.
No, "they" don't. I don't. Plenty of people don't. I would not choose to have an NBA team in Seattle. I understand that others in the area would want one, but I'm not one of them. Sports franchises hold cities hostage and milk them for all they can. I think its a joke. If I had it my way Seattle would have kept the Seahawks and let the others go. Why? Because from a selfish standpoint that's the only team I'm interested in. Hell, I still have my Tampa Bay Mariners t-shirt. The fact that I would choose not to have an NBA franchise in Seattle doesn't mean I'm blind to what happened. Clay Bennett lied and strung the people of Seattle out putting on a dog and pony show. Stern backed his play even after he got caught when the emails surfaced confirming that the new owners had intended to move the team all along.Okay. You go now and have the last word.
After the Anaheim debacle the Maloofs cost the city tens of millions by dragging out an entire arena planning charade for over a year and then backing out at the very last minute when they got their deal. It was all an act. They never had any intention of keeping the Kings here whether a new stadium was built or not. They were simply vying for time. There has always been, and still is, a group here that has offered to buy the Kings, yet the Maloofs would never engage because they said they had no intention of ever selling. I don't think people realize how ####ty and disengenuous the Maloofs have been to Sacramento. The only thing Sacramento has going for it is that Stern also hates the Maloofs. That wasn't the case with Bennett (that I am aware of). In the end, I'm not sure how much that means though. The power is still with the collective owners and I believe they are more committed to getting rid of the Maloofs than keeping a team in Sacramento (not that I can blame them).

After the Anaheim debacle the Maloofs cost the city tens of millions by dragging out an entire arena planning charade for over a year and then backing out at the very last minute when they got their deal. It was all an act. They never had any intention of keeping the Kings here whether a new stadium was built or not. They were simply vying for time. There has always been, and still is, a group here that has offered to buy the Kings, yet the Maloofs would never engage because they said they had no intention of ever selling. I don't think people realize how ####ty and disengenuous the Maloofs have been to Sacramento. The only thing Sacramento has going for it is that Stern also hates the Maloofs. That wasn't the case with Bennett (that I am aware of). In the end, I'm not sure how much that means though. The power is still with the collective owners and I believe they are more committed to getting rid of the Maloofs than keeping a team in Sacramento (not that I can blame them).
Everybody realizes how terrible the Maloofs are. That's why I said earlier I'd rather wait for a different team than get a team that the Maloofs owned any part of. The citizens of Sacramento have been done dirty by their owners, and it sucks a lot. We in Seattle realize how terrible it is to lose a team. That's why I said earlier I'd rather wait for a different team if it's possible that a local ownership could step up and save the team there. I only want a team that just can't get it done locally. You ignore those posts because you're mad and you want to take it out on people from Seattle though. Like Sonics fans are the bad guy in this somehow. Stern loved Bennett. Bennett seemed to idolize Stern, and it bordered on creepy. The problem was that Bennett bought the team intending to take it to OKC. He said his intent was to get a team to his hometown before he bought the Sonics, McClendon said they had no intention of keeping the Sonics in Seattle during the process when they were lying through their teeth and making a show of keeping the team in Seattle, and they said their goal all along was to get a team to OKC after the team was already moved. The idea of keeping the team in Seattle was always a lie. These situations are only comparable in the fact that a team is moving from one city to another. That's it. Demonizing citizens of Seattle who like basketball and trying to draw an exact comparison between these two situations is silly - especially when I've said I hope Sacramento can get it together and keep the team, Fennis agreed with me, and Hooper doesn't even think Seattle should have the NBA. We know it hurts. We think it sucks. We wish you guys could keep your team. So stop treating us like we're the bad guys and stomping all over the English language. Ok?

After the Anaheim debacle the Maloofs cost the city tens of millions by dragging out an entire arena planning charade for over a year and then backing out at the very last minute when they got their deal. It was all an act. They never had any intention of keeping the Kings here whether a new stadium was built or not. They were simply vying for time. There has always been, and still is, a group here that has offered to buy the Kings, yet the Maloofs would never engage because they said they had no intention of ever selling. I don't think people realize how ####ty and disengenuous the Maloofs have been to Sacramento.

The only thing Sacramento has going for it is that Stern also hates the Maloofs. That wasn't the case with Bennett (that I am aware of). In the end, I'm not sure how much that means though. The power is still with the collective owners and I believe they are more committed to getting rid of the Maloofs than keeping a team in Sacramento (not that I can blame them).
Everybody realizes how terrible the Maloofs are. That's why I said earlier I'd rather wait for a different team than get a team that the Maloofs owned any part of. The citizens of Sacramento have been done dirty by their owners, and it sucks a lot. We in Seattle realize how terrible it is to lose a team. That's why I said earlier I'd rather wait for a different team if it's possible that a local ownership could step up and save the team there. I only want a team that just can't get it done locally. You ignore those posts because you're mad and you want to take it out on people from Seattle though. Like Sonics fans are the bad guy in this somehow. Stern loved Bennett. Bennett seemed to idolize Stern, and it bordered on creepy. The problem was that Bennett bought the team intending to take it to OKC. He said his intent was to get a team to his hometown before he bought the Sonics, McClendon said they had no intention of keeping the Sonics in Seattle during the process when they were lying through their teeth and making a show of keeping the team in Seattle, and they said their goal all along was to get a team to OKC after the team was already moved. The idea of keeping the team in Seattle was always a lie.

These situations are only comparable in the fact that a team is moving from one city to another. That's it. Demonizing citizens of Seattle who like basketball and trying to draw an exact comparison between these two situations is silly - especially when I've said I hope Sacramento can get it together and keep the team, Fennis agreed with me, and Hooper doesn't even think Seattle should have the NBA. We know it hurts. We think it sucks. We wish you guys could keep your team. So stop treating us like we're the bad guys and stomping all over the English language. Ok?
What's your deal? Why do you insist on continuting with this? You picked that fight, not me. Just let it go.

If Kevin Johnson brings in a comparable offer (likely) I don't know how the NBA can actually approve this. Sacramento would have a willing buyer with a comparable offer, local government support, an NBA approved/negotiated new arena plan that is favorable to the team, and a great fan base. The NBA has no scapegoat to justify moving the team. If they move this is easily 10x worse than what happened to Seattle and it has nothing to do with the NBA fans up there. Would be a horrible stain on the NBA and hurt them in every other smaller market negotiation they enter into in the future.

The key difference from the OKC situation is that the Maloofs have been obviously attempting to sell out to the highest offer for at least 2 years now. It's true that the Maloofs have made gestures about staying in Sacramento (just as Bennett made gestures about staying in Seattle), but the difference is that the Maloofs WOULD HAVE STAYED if the money was there. Bennett never planned to stay in Seattle, even if the arena had been financed for him.

So what is the status of the $30 million payout that Clay Bennett promised to the city of Seattle if they did not get another NBA team within 5 years?Does the "5 years" start from when the settlement was approved (7/2/08) or does it start from when the team played its first game as the Thunder (October 2008)? And when does the 5-year period end -- does it end when the sale is official (January 2013), or does it end when the team officially moves (c. summer 2013) or does it end when the new Sonics play their first game??

The key difference from the OKC situation is that the Maloofs have been obviously attempting to sell out to the highest offer for at least 2 years now. It's true that the Maloofs have made gestures about staying in Sacramento (just as Bennett made gestures about staying in Seattle), but the difference is that the Maloofs WOULD HAVE STAYED if the money was there. Bennett never planned to stay in Seattle, even if the arena had been financed for him.
That's really not true. The Maloofs have been trying to find a way to stay majority owners AND get a new arena with $0 out of pocket. Anaheim, Virginia Beach, and Sac deals all had them as owners. The Hansen deal is the first time they've entertained an offer. The money is there for them in Sac. They committed to pay 75M for a 390M arena in downtown. The NBA was willing to loan them the 75M and they STILL backed out of it. No other owner in the league would have turned that deal down, but they are too far leveraged pay a cent or commit to payments of any kind. Ever since Kevin Johnson screwed up their Anaheim plans last year and brought in a prospective buyer (Burkle) they can't stand him and out of spite have not even allowed negotiation with a owner that wanted to keep the team local. This is unprecedented. Clay Bennet's deception doesn't hold a candle to this stuff.

Exactly the opposite. Sacramento has been trying to get them to sell, but they would never do it. They wouldn't even entertain offers.

I would rather wait for a different franchise with 0% Maloof
When the Palms went bankrupt they ended up settling for 2% ownership and some sort of employment contract for consulting. The new owners promptly took the Maloof name off everything on the property and apparently they don't do any work there. They are a joke. I suspect Hansen offered something similar to them. They are overly emotional and giving them even 1% can still help them feel like NBA owners and get them to sign on the dotted line. Smart move by Hansen.

Users who are viewing this thread