What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

El Floppo said:
here's my take- beyond the loss of Kante.

that team was built to counter and absorb a TON of pressure against the top teams. Morgan and Huth were lights out all season, and their opponents weren't able to put away the opportunities that were there- not numerous, but there every game. IMO, there were a lot of squandered chances by those top teams, plus a lack of discipline pushing so high up the field to push against a team dropped so far back and then getting sucker punched. I don't see the top teams- especially with these new managers- allowing the counters to be so relatively easy. it also seemed like Vardy or Mahrez would finish practically every single counter presented... it was uncanny- and unlikely to continue again, especially with teams geared up for them.

that was the top teams... against the rest of the league- who weren't pressing high and were set up to do more or less what leicester does, leicester looked totally average, IMO. they weren't set up to control the ball and break deep-lying teams down. they gutted out a bunch of 1-0 victories that tbh could have gone either way with a ball bouncing differently. 

so- in combo with losing Kante... a guy who shut down the middle of field and made teams go wide to try to put crosses in against a back four that was outstanding defending those... they also will have teams ready to play against their approach and not give up the counters AND will have to play CL games. I just don't see anything more than mid-table from them..
:shrug:

LC really missed Huth out there today- not as capable dealing with crosses and long balls. That same Hull kid hit the same slashing header twice- goal for one, and narrowly missing earlier... Huth would have helped take care of that, IMO. thought drinkwater played well... but on top the of the headed balls, it was the 2nd balls that Hull did a good job controlling, LC not. Kante was all over those last season. 

btw- felt like I was watching an MLS game for most of that.... yeah- early in the season and all, but nonetheless.

Leicester need to make some moves quickly in the transfer market.  They have CL money and unless I'm totally wrong, they are about to get 40M+ for Mahrez.

They need a midfielder, a CB (without Huth they looked bad), and another option in attack if they lose Mahrez.

Its time to shake it up and re-invent themselves.  I get the sense that they were trying to do that with Musa and Demarai, but things didn't go their way early.

They are missing a golden opportunity and it would be a shame if they stand pat with this team and lose Mahrez.

Or....it could just be the wake up call they needed.  The party is over, time to get to work.  The only thing that can take the shine off of that miracle season is a relegation battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunderland had City on the ropes, then they took off Defoe and put in an extra defender. 

I never like it in sports when teams go too conservative.

The full quote was not quite as bad.  Still should not have said what she did - but that quote by itself looks worse than the entirety of the statement.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/764187928851582976?lang=en

Lesson:  Stay away from social media/reporters after an emotional loss.
Lesson: Don't be Hope Solo. Unless, of course, you enjoy being salty, sharing a life with Jerramy Stevens (one of the dumbest people alive), and smacking minors around.

Pep looked shocked on the sidelines a few times.  Biggest thing for him to get used to is coaching without a MAJOR talent advantage.

Bayern had world class players everywhere, City does not.  Is there one position where City is better than Bayern?  

I like what he's done buying Stones, Nolito and Sane.  But the EPL is far closer in talent from top to bottom, and he's really gonna have to coach now.  The grind will be tough.

From that perspective, Mourinho has a huge advantage as he's fully aware of the EPL and how to win in the league.

I really wish they would start carding these guys, especially habitual offenders (hi, Fellaini), who hold down opponents in the box and wrap their arms around them. 

MU need Pogba in there.  The MF needs another gear... something. 

What an unlucky goal there. 

Eta... or, re the mf, they've been josed

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread