What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

The City of Columbus and the State of Ohio have officially withdrawn their suit against MLS which should be the last piece of the puzzle to letting the sale to the new owners go through.

Last edited by a moderator:
German publication Bild are reporting tonight that #cfc have agreed £45m deal to sign Christian #Pulisic from Borussia Dortmund next summer.

Edit: courtesy of Simon Johnson

I will say this: so much of ATL United's credit goes to Arthur Blank, Tata, Almiron/Martinez, and the fans - but Darren Eales has been the absolute mastermind behind all of the clubs success. I really hope he is happy in the US because he has been the real architect behind this entire operation. His credibility, ambition and willingness to up the ante will push the entire MLS forward...
Eales is the loss I fear the most as an ATLUTD fan. If he proves his chops as a negotiator on both the buying and selling ends of player negotiations, he has a future in the same role at a top flight team in Europe. One must think, if Spurs could come calling down the road, how hard it would be for him to say no. Thus far, he's nailed everything else, including a high profile coach-swap, in his five years on the job.

While he's not American, I also wonder if he wouldn't be a considered as a candidate to succeed Garber at some point. He does have young children, so remaining in America may be a priority, and there is no bigger soccer club to leave for here in the US.

From Jason Longshore:

Bocanegra (ATL technical director) talked about how de Boer's staff will be involved with the oldest academy teams and USL. Some training sessions will be replicated throughout the club.

Now thats exciting...
Tony Annan has the most to gain outside of the first team with this hire. He ran a successful local, youth club before being hired in at Atlanta United. He replaced Richard Money shortly into his stint leading the academy, and was thrown in as Academy Director. While the academy has had success, Annan's only experience graduating players to the top team are mostly inherited players. Carleton was developed outside of the ATLUTD walls before signing as a homegrown. They get some credit for Bello, but it's taking in players in the U12-U14 levels and developing them for sale/first team minutes where an academy proves itself.

FDB has seen that from the best both as a player and as a manager. I'm very excited about his opportunity to influence there, both as a team fan and personally as my kids have friends who have been brought into their academy.

Good article here on Annan

When was the last time a defender won Player of the Year in the EPL?  Glad you asked!  Looks like it was Paul McGrath in 1992-93.

If Liverpool were to beat the odds and win the title, it's van Dijk's to lose IMO.

Just checked the odds and VvD is indeed the favorite among Liverpool players at 5-1 (Salah 10-1).  Silva and Hazard are both 3-1.
Pretty funny... eight days later:

VvD 5/6, Hazard and Salah 7/1, Silva 8/1.

Anyone ever changed teams after many years? I’m debating it at this point. Been Chelsea for 16 years but me and my ex are a distant memory and her gpa who was from Chelmsford and a Chelsea through and through bloke are in the past. Part of me loves Chelsea still but another part hurts with the memories and I feel like I should move to a new team.

Anyone ever changed teams after many years? I’m debating it at this point. Been Chelsea for 16 years but me and my ex are a distant memory and her gpa who was from Chelmsford and a Chelsea through and through bloke are in the past. Part of me loves Chelsea still but another part hurts with the memories and I feel like I should move to a new team.
Never too late to jump on the :wolf:

Come on you ####s!

That sucks, man.  Fascinating dilemma though.  Not sure what I would do.

Blues before Hoes 

Every year a player is voted the best player from the America's.  Players like Bebeto, Valderamma, Rai, Ronaldihno, Tevez, Cafu, Romario, Veron, Neymar and many other all time greats have won this award.

This year the winner is Atlanta bound Pity Martinez.   As a side note, this year an MLS player (Josef Martinez) was high in voting, finishing 4th.

Change teams if that's the reason you were a fan of the club.I've had friends who were only fans of the team/club because a spouse was that switched.  

Orlando City may be getting a new #10 Diego Ribas.  It sure couldn't hurt.

https://www.themaneland.com/2019/1/1/18164543/orlando-city-one-step-closer-to-landing-diego-ribas
Took me a while to connect the dots on this one. He used to simply go by the name Diego. Spent time at Juve, Atletico, Bremen, Wolfsburg, Porto. Was even part of the Brazilian national team rotation at one point.

Another extremely promising talent who looks to have settled into a journeyman role for most of his career. 

Edit: Seems like he had a very successful (if not short) spell at Werder Bremen. So 'journeyman' may be a bit harsh.

Took me a while to connect the dots on this one. He used to simply go by the name Diego. Spent time at Juve, Atletico, Bremen, Wolfsburg, Porto. Was even part of the Brazilian national team rotation at one point.

Another extremely promising talent who looks to have settled into a journeyman role for most of his career. 
He turns 34 in Feb so a lot of OCSC fans are complaining he is too old.  Then of course they complained about us signing to much youth about the FO just about everything.  I thought he was better than a journeyman player though of course I still have a lot to learn.  I was kind of getting excited about him joining the team if Flamengo lets him go free.  We didn't have much of an attack last year so anything would be an improvement.

He turns 34 in Feb so a lot of OCSC fans are complaining he is too old.  Then of course they complained about us signing to much youth about the FO just about everything.  I thought he was better than a journeyman player though of course I still have a lot to learn.  I was kind of getting excited about him joining the team if Flamengo lets him go free.  We didn't have much of an attack last year so anything would be an improvement.
I was just reading more about him. Journeyman is probably too harsh. He had a number of excellent seasons in the Bundesliga for Werder Bremen. Also made the rounds at some bigger clubs where he received less playing time. He's definitely a talent, though probably underachieved all things considered.

FWIW he looks to have been a difference maker at Flamenco.

Edit: Seems like he had a very successful (if not short) spell at Werder Bremen. So 'journeyman' may be a bit harsh.
Wow....THAT Diego. I remember watching Brazilian soccer the year he, robinho and Alex were all teammates at Santos as kids....I could be wrong, but maybe Pato too, which would explain the connection. He was really good- played like hazard, iirc, but deeper lying so more of a truer #10.

Wow....THAT Diego. I remember watching Brazilian soccer the year he, robinho and Alex were all teammates at Santos as kids....I could be wrong, but maybe Pato too, which would explain the connection. He was really good- played like hazard, iirc, but deeper lying so more of a truer #10.
He was awesome at Bremen...so fun to watch.

The club not the player. Plus I find the EPL to be pretty overrated in terms of being the "proving ground" for young players. 
Scum? Really?

Yeah, they opened the pocketbook to buy a team out of mediocrity. But not like they're fascists (*coughcough* Lazio) or have any history doing pretty much anything reprehensible other than being nouveau riche. 

Epl has been where the paychecks have been for most players that can't play for Barca or RM. Used to be Serie A when I was young. Then bundesliga, and now epl. Right or wrong, it's where the best young players want to go make their dough and compete against other best young players.

Felipe Cardenas‏ @FelipeCar

Ezequiel Barco picks up an injury and will miss the South American U20 tournament.

============================

I think this is potentially bad news for Atlanta.   This is just pure speculation but it would not shock me if Atlanta was hoping he would play well in that tournament and catch the eye of a scout so they could off load him.

Scum? Really?

Yeah, they opened the pocketbook to buy a team out of mediocrity. But not like they're fascists (*coughcough* Lazio) or have any history doing pretty much anything reprehensible other than being nouveau riche. 

Epl has been where the paychecks have been for most players that can't play for Barca or RM. Used to be Serie A when I was young. Then bundesliga, and now epl. Right or wrong, it's where the best young players want to go make their dough and compete against other best young players.
Raheem Sterling might want to have a little talk about Chelsea 

For the money sure but fans completely overrate the league. My argument is similar to what Ibra said about the league. Yes if you can't handle the pace you won't succeed but overall quality and all is overrated and clubs like Man United and others people are living off past reputations. This isn't your David Beckham's ManU with Ferguson and in terms of star power and talent still aren't with the Likes of RM or Barca. I liken it to the Cowboys. Use to be relevant and great but overall not even dominate like they were. 

Raheem Sterling might want to have a little talk about Chelsea 

For the money sure but fans completely overrate the league. My argument is similar to what Ibra said about the league. Yes if you can't handle the pace you won't succeed but overall quality and all is overrated and clubs like Man United and others people are living off past reputations. This isn't your David Beckham's ManU with Ferguson and in terms of star power and talent still aren't with the Likes of RM or Barca. I liken it to the Cowboys. Use to be relevant and great but overall not even dominate like they were. 
That may all be fine- arguments can be made for each league. Scum? Throwing up? Your words.

Outside of BM, RM or Barca, after Dortmund, not sure where the next step would be for him unless he wants to go any other direction but up. Psg would be a fun group to he around I guess, but not the league. After those teams it's the top EPL teams...of which Chelsea is a part. I mean, yeah- Barca or RM would've been awesome...and if it works out in England, they aren't going anywhere for a 20yo whose contract will be up when he is in his prime mid 20s. Not sure what or where else you were expecting.

Ramsey apparently signing with Merda, details pending...woah, didn't see tis coming.  Arsenal fans, why would they let him go?  Age... contract?  ( I did not do due diligence, just reacting to Italian news I saw...imagine that)

Ramsey apparently signing with Merda, details pending...woah, didn't see tis coming.  Arsenal fans, why would they let him go?  Age... contract?  ( I did not do due diligence, just reacting to Italian news I saw...imagine that)
From what I hear his contract is up, and he refused to re-sign with them.

That may all be fine- arguments can be made for each league. Scum? Throwing up? Your words.

Outside of BM, RM or Barca, after Dortmund, not sure where the next step would be for him unless he wants to go any other direction but up. Psg would be a fun group to he around I guess, but not the league. After those teams it's the top EPL teams...of which Chelsea is a part. I mean, yeah- Barca or RM would've been awesome...and if it works out in England, they aren't going anywhere for a 20yo whose contract will be up when he is in his prime mid 20s. Not sure what or where else you were expecting.
I've been around a long time, and every league has had up and downs. It's going to fluctuate over time which league is "dominant" when it comes to attracting the top talent, and win international honors. That's why we have the Champions League I guess. I think each domestic league has its qualities. Ideally I'd like them all to run well at the same time, but I prefer watching the type of game I like. :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread