What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

This is not much of a surprise given that MLS has the worst travel conditions of any soccer league

==================

[Eliot McKinley] Major League Soccer has the largest home field advantages in world soccer, at almost 0.7 goals/game. Of the big European leagues, the Bundesliga has the largest home advantage, while Serie A has the smallest. This largely holds up for leagues with xG available as well.

It seems to have come out of no where but now the media in Holland are saying it is done.  He has signed a 4 year deal and will start on Jan. 1st.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2264604-de-toekomst-van-frank-de-boer-ligt-in-het-Americaanse-atlanta.html
He speaks very good Spanish. Won a lot at Ajax (who have actually won very little the last 20 years outside of his reign) and would continue to play an attractive style of soccer. His time at Crystal Palace means nothing to me, being there only four games.

Will be really interesting to see what he can do in the US with regards to youth development and transfer profits - two of Ajax's historical competitive advantages over the years. Interestingly ATL has been trying to replicate that exact model since it's inception.  

I will say this: so much of ATL United's credit goes to Arthur Blank, Tata, Almiron/Martinez, and the fans - but Darren Eales has been the absolute mastermind behind all of the clubs success. I really hope he is happy in the US because he has been the real architect behind this entire operation. His credibility, ambition and willingness to up the ante will push the entire MLS forward...

When was the last time a defender won Player of the Year in the EPL?  Glad you asked!  Looks like it was Paul McGrath in 1992-93.

If Liverpool were to beat the odds and win the title, it's van Dijk's to lose IMO.

The Guardian noted this week that David Moyes' original contract to manage ManU is still six months away from its original expiration date.

Well it looks like Orlando is going to lose its best player.  Looks like Yotun to Cruz Azul for 4 million.  It just keeps getting better and better.

Atlanta United today announced it has agreed a multiyear contract with Frank de Boer to become the club’s next head coach. A legendary Dutch player and coach, de Boer began his managerial career at Ajax, where he won a club-record four consecutive Eredivisie titles. De Boer also had an illustrious playing career, spending more than 15 combined seasons at Ajax and FC Barcelona. De Boer will be formally introduced to the media before the start of the 2019 season.

“Frank de Boer has a distinguished background, both as manager and player, and we’re ecstatic to welcome him to our club,” Atlanta United President Darren Eales said. “When we began our search, we were determined to find someone who fit all of our criteria. In addition to meeting our club’s core values, Frank’s philosophical views for how to play unequivocally aligns with ours. He also has a proven track record of developing youth players, with many of them going on to star for top European teams. Finally, his multilingual capabilities, including Spanish and English, ensure a smooth transition in the leadership of our club.”

From Jason Longshore:

Bocanegra (ATL technical director) talked about how de Boer's staff will be involved with the oldest academy teams and USL. Some training sessions will be replicated throughout the club.

Now thats exciting...

NewlyRetired said:
Jeff Carlisle‏Verified account @JeffreyCarlisle

Sources tell ESPN FC that Frank de Boer is a candidate to be the next manager of #ATLUTD:

El Floppo said:
huh. how will that play in south america, I wonder.
I think this is multi layered which makes an answer to your question difficult.

Publicly, MLS has finally stated they need to become more of a selling league.  An interesting model for that is Holland, who develops and exports loads of players.  Holland is also a very common spot for South American players to land before they make the final leap to one of the big leagues.

Now obviously MLS is not Holland in terms of quality since the base Dutch player is better than the base American player.  But the once large gap in quality between the leagues has closed a bit.

I don't have a feel for how this will play out but it is worth acknowledging Atlanta has not put a wrong foot forward yet in their short existence in terms of building a team from the top down.

As we have been stating for a while, what eventually happens with Almiron and Pity will have a huge say on whether things will continue or not.

Some what useless but interesting nugget none the less.

Before today, MLS coaches have a combined 4 titles (as coaches) in European First divisions since 1996.

De Boer has 4 coaching titles by himself in a European First division.

Native said:
Bocanegra (ATL technical director) talked about how de Boer's staff will be involved with the oldest academy teams and USL. Some training sessions will be replicated throughout the club.
This is a super Dutch like approach.  Very cool.

It will be interesting to see if they also bring in the idea for the younger academy kids to play every position on the field before specializing.   I believe that is something Ajax has believed in for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a great hire for MLS, and I think it shows Atlanta are putting the rest of the league to shame, in terms of ambitions.  Eales deserves a lot of credit, as does Banks for allowing good people to do their jobs.

And, while Atlanta are being aggressive, I think it will open the eyes of other clubs to the possibilities.  A few clubs will follow, and a few will be left behind.  But overall, I think Atlanta will raise the profile of the entire league, by forcing other clubs to match their ambitions.

I think the Eales - de Boer connection is interesting.  I had to go back to look at the timing of Eales arrival in Atlanta, which was September 2014.  

Spurs had been interested in de Boer that spring/summer before deciding on Pochettino, and Eales almost certainly would have been part of the group that were interviewing/evaluating candidates.  I imagine that de Boer made an impression on Eales at the time.

Football Factly‏ @FootballFactly

Europe's top five leagues in 2018-19:

Most goals - Messi

Most assists - Messi

Most dribbles - Messi

Most chances created - Messi

Most free-kicks scored - Messi

Most key passes per 90 mins - Messi

Most goals from outside the box - Messi

Messi also missed three weeks through injury

Most goals - Messi

Most assists - Messi

Most dribbles - Messi

:bow:  

Most goals - Messi

Most assists - Messi

Most dribbles - Messi

Are you sure those aren't suppose to all say Modric? 

Well, two games in and United look like a different team.  Players are moving, passing quickly and with intent, attacking with pace.  They are putting in the work.  Still some things to clean up but hopefully it will continue.

The media will attack the players for not playing for Jose or quitting on him.  And yes there may be a little there.  But it feels like they are now given the freedom to move around the pitch, play creatively and express themselves, of course it looks better.  Jose seems to have wanted very limited movement positionally.  Martial would have been sat down for a month after his goal since he came from the right side and not hugging the left wing as he has been.  Even Pogba is passing and moving with quickness.  

Can it keep up?  Hope so.  Its fun to watch again.

Kevin Baxter‏Verified account @kbaxter11

The @LAGalaxy have reached agreement w/ Guillermo Barros Schelotto to become the team's new coach. Schelotto was manager at Argentine power Boca Juniors until Dec. 14. Another coup for GM Dennis te Kloese who, this month, also re-signed @Ibra_official to a record @MLS contract

Rip, siggi Schmidt... First Sounders coach, UCLA and socal state team youth coach. He was a giant figure in US and especially west coast soccer. Unclear how he died
I read he was awaiting a heart transplant when he passed. 

Here are his awards, from wiki

=====================

Individual

National Soccer Hall of Fame: 2015

NCAA Coach of the Year: 1997

MLS Coach of the Year Award: 1999, 2008

UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame inductee: 1996

Managerial

College

College Cup: 1985, 1990, 1997

Professional

CONCACAF Champions' Cup: 2000

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup: 2001, 2009,[67] 2010[106] 2011, 2014

MLS Supporters' Shield: 2002, 2008, 2014

MLS Cup: 2002, 2008

This is a super Dutch like approach.  Very cool.

It will be interesting to see if they also bring in the idea for the younger academy kids to play every position on the field before specializing.   I believe that is something Ajax has believed in for decades.
Ernie Stewart as Tech Director for the UNION also used the the moneyball analytics approach AZ Alzheimer used in The Dutch league as well. 

Yeah. I set that up for my eventual reply, but I should've gone with something more along the lines of "it's astonishing earnie remembered anything from those days"... kinda where Sinn went with it 

Yeah. I set that up for my eventual reply, but I should've gone with something more along the lines of "it's astonishing earnie remembered anything from those days"... kinda where Sinn went with it 
Well, it would have been better if you started with another line talking about the guy and....

Users who are viewing this thread