What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Barcalona fired Setien!
Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano Barcelona have already decided to sack Quique Setién after the terrible defeat against Bayern Münich. He’ll not be the manager on next season.

@SkySport #Barcelona #FCB

:lol:  I was just coming here to post Romano's tweet, and comment that I am surprised they would let him on the flight home...

Barcelona have to make sweeping changes, right?

Can they afford it?
Getting younger in midfield by exchanging Arthur for 30 year old Pjanic

COVID is going to make all of the transfers weird. No faith the board will spend it correctly after what they have done. It's an old and slow squad that cannot cope with high pressure. For whatever reason, younger talent has not gotten a chance under the last 2 coaches.Way late moving on from players well past their prime(Busquets, Pique, Alba, Suarez, and Rakitic).

Still, there is a lot of players that we didn't see tonight under contract. Riqui Puig and Ansu Fati should start a game like that. Loaning out players like Coutinho, Rafinha, Alena, and Cucurella who are better than what you can bring to a CL knockout match is bizarre for this club. Dembele has actually been very good with the team, but constantly injured. Umtiti has similar issues. Fullbacks are abysmal though.

The Gator said:
One of my favorite players to sign in FM - mostly because I can't stop singing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:

Umtiti, you titi, pretty titi Bang Bang
Titi titi Bang Bang, we love you
I can't sign him because by the time I make it to be able to afford big transfers until like 2025.

The Gator said:
Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano Barcelona have already decided to sack Quique Setién after the terrible defeat against Bayern Münich. He’ll not be the manager on next season.

@SkySport #Barcelona #FCB

:lol:  I was just coming here to post Romano's tweet, and comment that I am surprised they would let him on the flight home...
I'd have sacked him at HT. 

Wor Flag were out at ST James Park today with some sweet Signs. Geordie Nation would like a few words with the EPL and the top 6 clubs right now. As much as I didn't want the Saudi's Blood Money how the league handled this is unprofessional. We see you EPL and what you are trying to do 

:oldunsure:

Mauricio Pochettino: "Once said I'd rather go back to my farm than coaching Barça? I didn't want to disrespect Barcelona, maybe now I wouldn’t say it, you never know what could happen in life."

:oldunsure:

Mauricio Pochettino: "Once said I'd rather go back to my farm than coaching Barça? I didn't want to disrespect Barcelona, maybe now I wouldn’t say it, you never know what could happen in life."
Which is a bit ironic because Setien was at his farm tending to cows before Barca sacked Valverde. Would be surprised if Poch wants the job because of his history with Espanyol (whom are in the 2nd division this year).

Which is a bit ironic because Setien was at his farm tending to cows before Barca sacked Valverde. Would be surprised if Poch wants the job because of his history with Espanyol (whom are in the 2nd division this year).
That is what that quote is about - in the past he has been adamant about not going to Barça because of the Espanyol links - but he has been backtracking recently.  And, with Espanyol relegated, he would not be competing directly against them in La Liga.

Still, its a pretty bad job right now - given the turmoil in the club, the aging roster, and the lack of funds.  But one of the ITKs for Spurs says he heard the deal was verbally agreed to 3 weeks ago - nothing signed though.

Poch still has a home in Barcelona, and spends a good bit of time there, and its not like there are a lot of other openings out there.  So, who knows? :shrug:

That is what that quote is about - in the past he has been adamant about not going to Barça because of the Espanyol links - but he has been backtracking recently.  And, with Espanyol relegated, he would not be competing directly against them in La Liga.

Still, its a pretty bad job right now - given the turmoil in the club, the aging roster, and the lack of funds.  But one of the ITKs for Spurs says he heard the deal was verbally agreed to 3 weeks ago - nothing signed though.

Poch still has a home in Barcelona, and spends a good bit of time there, and its not like there are a lot of other openings out there.  So, who knows? :shrug:
And now there are reports of Messi wanting out of Barca. 

Benfica get a steal from Grimio with Everton Soares for 20M. Meanwhile when Milan and Inter asked and PSG and a few others they asked for an arm and a leg. What a steal for Benfica who are now working on Cavani for Free transfer. 

Whoever gets him is paying a buttload No sure how Man City will afford him though and where would they put him? He ain't riding the bench and I'm not sure Messi would want to go to England. 
I honestly don't think he survives the EPL.  He gets whacked a lot in La Liga and I think its wearing on him.  He also gets space.  Not sure he can take the pounding in the EPL.

Koeman to coach Barca?

FC Barcelona@FCBarcelona · 25m

Quique Setién no longer first team coach. The new coach will be announced in the coming days as part of a wide ranging restructuring of the first team.

Worst kept secret in world soccer.

FC Barcelona@FCBarcelona · 25m

Quique Setién no longer first team coach. The new coach will be announced in the coming days as part of a wide ranging restructuring of the first team.

Worst kept secret in world soccer.
Being Barca they will attract managers.  Koeman is rumored to be the choice though.

But really, who will want it? 
Messi older and wants out, Suarez older and being courted by Inter Miami and Ajax, Griezeman a flop so far, half the starting lineup is over 30, no money to spend with Covid.... Right now it may not be the jewel of a job.

All schtick aside - this is a pretty good deal for Spurs:

Joe Hart has agreed a two-year deal with Tottenham until 2022 on wages starting around £27.5k per week

Spurs have been wasting a non-HG slot on a 3rd keeper for a few years now.  Hart comes in on a free, low wages and can serve as competition to back up Lloris.

and the "should of kept Lukaku" crowd who was already yelling is going to increase with his 2 goals today.  The Ole out crowd has been going wild as well.  Not to mention the McGuire sucks and its his fault crowd (he doesnt and it wasnt)

3rd Place in EPL
3rd best defensive record in the EPL (imahine how much better without De Gea howlers)
Semis in FA Cup, Europa, Carabo Cup

Pogba out for 6 months, Martial and Rashford out for 2 monthseach, No creativity with Lindard and Pereira at the 10.....

No one had them anywhere near any trophy and for them to get as far as they did.  Progress made, now back Ole with players coming in and contine to sell the dead weight.  In the history of United this is not something to regularly chear.  But over the last 7 years, it is.

All schtick aside - this is a pretty good deal for Spurs:

Joe Hart has agreed a two-year deal with Tottenham until 2022 on wages starting around £27.5k per week

Spurs have been wasting a non-HG slot on a 3rd keeper for a few years now.  Hart comes in on a free, low wages and can serve as competition to back up Lloris.
English GUZAN

:(

The 2020 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, the United States’ national soccer championship, has been cancelled for the first time since its inception in 1913. The tournament, which was scheduled to kick off in March with a Modern Era record 100 clubs, will not be played due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

:(

The 2020 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, the United States’ national soccer championship, has been cancelled for the first time since its inception in 1913. The tournament, which was scheduled to kick off in March with a Modern Era record 100 clubs, will not be played due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 
Didn't we already know this and the MLS Welcome's Back was a replacement 

No.

US open cup includes all teams in the US in all parts of the pyramid, including amateur and semi-prp teams. MLS teams participate, but the Cup is outside of the league.
The record 100 teams hurts the most.  I wonder how many teams will eventually have to shut down because of covid.... :(

Being Barca they will attract managers.  Koeman is rumored to be the choice though.

But really, who will want it? 
Messi older and wants out, Suarez older and being courted by Inter Miami and Ajax, Griezeman a flop so far, half the starting lineup is over 30, no money to spend with Covid.... Right now it may not be the jewel of a job.
I find it hard to believe someone would leave their national team for this job and a lame-duck board till March. The main job is going to be benching these over-30 players that do not leave, that isn't going to be fun press conferences.

Suarez to Miami makes a ton of sense, that would be fun for MLS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to believe someone would leave their national team for this job and a lame-duck board till March. The main job is going to be benching these over-30 players that do not leave, that isn't going to be fun press conferences.

Reports are Koeman will be announced tomorrow, so we shall see what really happens.

And now Eric Abidal, sporting director, has left Barcalona as well.  Contract terminated by mutual consent (I quit, you cant quit you are fired).

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/4162238/manchester-unitedmanchester-city-given-extended-summer-break-sources

Manchester United and Manchester City are set to miss the opening weekend of the Premier League after being granted an extended summer break following their European commitments, sources have told ESPN.

The two Manchester clubs will be given a 30-day break between their final games of this season and the new campaign.

It means they are unlikely to have fixtures scheduled for the opening weekend of the Premier League season on September 12-13 and will instead play their first games two or three days later in midweek.

However, City and United may have to play each other or one of the teams through to the Champions League or Europa League group stage in their opening matches. The 13 clubs without European football will be in Carabao Cup second-round action in the midweek of Sept. 15, while Tottenham play their first Europa League qualifying fixture.

Both City and United are set to organise warm up games to help them prepare, although sources have told ESPN it is "unlikely" either will use preseason to schedule international friendlies.

Per really good Milan expert Vito Angele: Confirmed: #ThiagoSilva has asked to return to Milan Maldini is thinking of a re-union but Milan has other plans for now. 

Desert_Power said:

Having Rat Face in MLS would not be fun. honestly one of the most overhyped players I've seen in my lifetime. 

Having Rat Face in MLS would not be fun. honestly one of the most overhyped players I've seen in my lifetime. 
Huh. Love him or hate him or bite him, the guy is quality and creates a lot of goals.

ETA...and isn't he more of a donkey face?

Such a random add-on...a million for one game? I guess I don't know if it's low or not...but can't imagine anybody would sign off on it if it was much higher.
Not sure if its a new thing or lately these types of things have become more common but a lot of deals seem to be base amount + easily attainable adder + various other adders to help get deals done.

Team A wants $100m for a player

Team B offers $75m up front + $10M next year + $10m for 50 goals + 5M for 50 appearances + $1m for starting and winning UCL + $1m for Ballon D'Or + $1M for __________

Ultimately team A should get the $100m since some should be easy to achieved, but could end up getting slightly less if something catastrophic happens.  Could end up with a little more if the random unlikely ones hit (Ballon D'Or?)

Not sure if its a new thing or lately these types of things have become more common but a lot of deals seem to be base amount + easily attainable adder + various other adders to help get deals done.

Team A wants $100m for a player

Team B offers $75m up front + $10M next year + $10m for 50 goals + 5M for 50 appearances + $1m for starting and winning UCL + $1m for Ballon D'Or + $1M for __________

Ultimately team A should get the $100m since some should be easy to achieved, but could end up getting slightly less if something catastrophic happens.  Could end up with a little more if the random unlikely ones hit (Ballon D'Or?)
Seems newer than before. Teams not getting the exact amount they want but clubs willing to pay add ons if it happens like Apps, goals, championships, placement in standings etc. 

every little bit helps in this environment I guess.
Yeah, my comment was totally tongue-in-cheek.  But in some ways if you can slip in such a random bonus, why not shoot for a few mil at least???

I think @B Maverick makes a good point about other bonuses.  Starts, goals, assists, etc. are getting more common but I don't know how many I'm aware of for starting on a team that wins a specific trophy.

some random notes 

Aaron Ramsdale just signed for Sheffield United and Dean Henderson confirmed he will not be renewing his loan, so United in a bit of a quandary here.  Henderson already sated he wanted to be #1 and is negotiating a massive pay raise that will pay him $100K/week for a 23 year old gk.  DeGea already makes like $350K/week, so I mean United's wage bill for gk alone will be insane.  In my eyes it's a no-brainer to send DeGea off.  Lots of bigger clubs could use him and I think a move to Real Madrid just makes too much sense even if the transfer fee is small.

United eyeing Douglas Costa as a back up plan if Sancho can't be pried from Dortmund and frankly that's a piss poor alternative.  Dybala also linked to United in a 'trade' for Pogba and that would be of some interest.  Saul Niguez is another possibility and may be the best of the bunch, but I'm just not sure that's going to happen.  Either way, expect United to make a big splash this offseason. 

The move that would make the most sense to me would be Ben Chillwell of Leicester....but seems to me there is going to be a massive bidding war for him.

I'm truly interested in where Kai Havertz lands and if it's at Chelsea I'm gonna be :hot:   That attack with Pulisic, Werner, and Ziyach would be pretty effing sweet.

Just heard today that Angel Gomes will no longer be a United player.  He was on the team since 5 and was hoping he would turn into the next wunderkid, but he stopped growing (both in height and talent) around 16 and well, off he goes.  Taith Chong is another young and coming player, but he's getting loaned to Werder Bremen.

Should be a fun transfer season all in all. Leeds coming up will splash some money around.  I think the premier league has a huge advantage this transfer period due to the massive television revenue, whereas most other leagues rely a lot more on their gate, and the tv revenue isn't nearly as high on a league wide basis.  

Users who are viewing this thread