What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

some random notes 

Aaron Ramsdale just signed for Sheffield United and Dean Henderson confirmed he will not be renewing his loan, so United in a bit of a quandary here.  Henderson already sated he wanted to be #1 and is negotiating a massive pay raise that will pay him $100K/week for a 23 year old gk.  DeGea already makes like $350K/week, so I mean United's wage bill for gk alone will be insane.  In my eyes it's a no-brainer to send DeGea off.  Lots of bigger clubs could use him and I think a move to Real Madrid just makes too much sense even if the transfer fee is small.

United eyeing Douglas Costa as a back up plan if Sancho can't be pried from Dortmund and frankly that's a piss poor alternative.  Dybala also linked to United in a 'trade' for Pogba and that would be of some interest.  Saul Niguez is another possibility and may be the best of the bunch, but I'm just not sure that's going to happen.  Either way, expect United to make a big splash this offseason. 

The move that would make the most sense to me would be Ben Chillwell of Leicester....but seems to me there is going to be a massive bidding war for him.

I'm truly interested in where Kai Havertz lands and if it's at Chelsea I'm gonna be :hot:   That attack with Pulisic, Werner, and Ziyach would be pretty effing sweet.

Just heard today that Angel Gomes will no longer be a United player.  He was on the team since 5 and was hoping he would turn into the next wunderkid, but he stopped growing (both in height and talent) around 16 and well, off he goes.  Taith Chong is another young and coming player, but he's getting loaned to Werder Bremen.

Should be a fun transfer season all in all. Leeds coming up will splash some money around.  I think the premier league has a huge advantage this transfer period due to the massive television revenue, whereas most other leagues rely a lot more on their gate, and the tv revenue isn't nearly as high on a league wide basis.  
You just heard that Gomes had left?  He signed for Lille and was loanded to Boavista a month ago or so.  And Yes Chong is out on loan.  With the purchase plans good for him to be loaned to get game time.  A good showing and he could be huge for United supplementing the attack in the next few years.

Reports just now are that Henderson is close to agreeing to a new contract at United for the $100k/week.  United has 2-3 younger keepers they have brought in over the last 1-2 years as well, so what I see happening is Romero leaves.  De Gea is the #1 with Henderson as the cup keeper.  The difference being Henderson could push De Gea for the top spot in practice and with good performances, esp if De Gea continues to decline.  De Gea leaves next summer with Henderson as the #1. We could then see a couple of the youngers as the backup fighting for time.  I could also see De Gea maybe leaving now or in Jan if the right offer comes in.  If De Gea leaves, then Romero doesnt.

Would be very in for  Saul Niguez to sit behind Pogba/Bruno.  Or Donny van de Beek.  Saul would start immediately with Matic and Fred as a backup.  vdB might as well.  And I think he can cover all 3 positions so he would be a good buy too (although Koeman wants him at Barca)

Douglas Costa makes no sense. He turns 30 when the season starts and does not fit with Ole's transfer goals.  Dybala could be good, but I don't think it helps the process to get him if you have to trade Pogba for him, as I mentioned either.  They need to upgrade DM, CB, RW and depth while getting rid of the dead wood.

Reports I've seen today:
Offer for Bournemouth MF David Brooks as an alternate to Graelish.  Don't know much about him, but they do need depth at that position.
Romero and Cash to AV for Graelish (not a bad idea)

Plus the men have to get some marquee signings going so they aren't outdone by the women's team potentially singing Heath and Press (both of whom would be an upgrade over Lingard and great backups for the wings)

Forgot to mention I saw that Southhampton made a bid for mcKennie from Schalke.  I don’t know if it will be accepted but Schalke ended last season terribly and although friendlies don’t mean much I saw they lost to 3rd division Uerdingen yesterday.  

You just heard that Gomes had left?  He signed for Lille and was loanded to Boavista a month ago or so.  And Yes Chong is out on loan.  With the purchase plans good for him to be loaned to get game time.  A good showing and he could be huge for United supplementing the attack in the next few years.

Reports just now are that Henderson is close to agreeing to a new contract at United for the $100k/week.  United has 2-3 younger keepers they have brought in over the last 1-2 years as well, so what I see happening is Romero leaves.  De Gea is the #1 with Henderson as the cup keeper.  The difference being Henderson could push De Gea for the top spot in practice and with good performances, esp if De Gea continues to decline.  De Gea leaves next summer with Henderson as the #1. We could then see a couple of the youngers as the backup fighting for time.  I could also see De Gea maybe leaving now or in Jan if the right offer comes in.  If De Gea leaves, then Romero doesnt.

Would be very in for  Saul Niguez to sit behind Pogba/Bruno.  Or Donny van de Beek.  Saul would start immediately with Matic and Fred as a backup.  vdB might as well.  And I think he can cover all 3 positions so he would be a good buy too (although Koeman wants him at Barca)

Douglas Costa makes no sense. He turns 30 when the season starts and does not fit with Ole's transfer goals.  Dybala could be good, but I don't think it helps the process to get him if you have to trade Pogba for him, as I mentioned either.  They need to upgrade DM, CB, RW and depth while getting rid of the dead wood.

Reports I've seen today:
Offer for Bournemouth MF David Brooks as an alternate to Graelish.  Don't know much about him, but they do need depth at that position.
Romero and Cash to AV for Graelish (not a bad idea)

Plus the men have to get some marquee signings going so they aren't outdone by the women's team potentially singing Heath and Press (both of whom would be an upgrade over Lingard and great backups for the wings)
Brooks is an U-23 for Wales that has been in a few scouts one of the top U23 players to watch. He's a good LM/Winger type. If you want more info go to the mid June Podcast of State of Play that I believe is titled top U23 players to watch. They talk some on him as well as others. I believe he got injured the start of the campaign though and only played 4 matches this season. 

Forgot to mention I saw that Southhampton made a bid for mcKennie from Schalke.  I don’t know if it will be accepted but Schalke ended last season terribly and although friendlies don’t mean much I saw they lost to 3rd division Uerdingen yesterday.  
He's better off staying at Schalke for his development and Southhampton seems like a step down IMHO

He's better off staying at Schalke for his development and Southhampton seems like a step down IMHO
last I heard, Schalke were in financial problems... maybe they've turned it around, but my understanding was that they needed to sell their bigger players, like Swag. their direction seems to be trending down. as such, saints might be just fine for him. but yeah- it's hard to argue with how much they value him and play him in germany.

last I heard, Schalke were in financial problems... maybe they've turned it around, but my understanding was that they needed to sell their bigger players, like Swag. their direction seems to be trending down. as such, saints might be just fine for him. but yeah- it's hard to argue with how much they value him and play him in germany.
Didn't know about their financial issues. I'd rather see him in a squad he can play and develop. 

Luca Pagni:

Milan's market will be minimal. There will be a centre-back who can also play as a fullback. There will be a midfielder coming (preferably on loan) like Bakayoko. In the training retreat, primavera players: Maldini, Pobega, Colombo and Brescianini will be evaluated.

Deulofeu:" I don't deny that Milan is an option for my future. I was very happy there where I spent 6 great months and my daughter was born there. It's clearly a possibility. I am trying to find a way out of Watford."

Deulofeu has told his agent he'd run back to Milan if they called. Watford are going down from the Premiership. GD didn't want to leave Milan and wanted to make it permanent when Everton Loaned him out but Barca had a buyback option and took him back after the loan then sold him Watford after loaning him there for 13M. 

Loons sign young (24) Boca Jr MF star, Reynoso.

I was impressed with how Minn played, in spite of having a dearth of talent. This signing should help in spades.

Loons sign young (24) Boca Jr MF star, Reynoso.

I was impressed with how Minn played, in spite of having a dearth of talent. This signing should help in spades.
This is the guy they have been chasing for a while I think.  The Argentine influence on MLS continues.

Weston McKennie is also being linked to a Move with Newcastle United now. Probably too rich for them but would definitely solve some MF issues and would get plenty of playing time and a chance to grow. 

NY derby with a controversial game winner for the RBs. Looked like it had already crossed the line before Johnson subtly inches it back. And not sure the legality of GK control if it's just one hand on top of it on the ground. Also not sure of the goal was given after the RB player kicked out it away from him there into the net, or prior.

NY derby with a controversial game winner for the RBs. Looked like it had already crossed the line before Johnson subtly inches it back. And not sure the legality of GK control if it's just one hand on top of it on the ground. Also not sure of the goal was given after the RB player kicked out it away from him there into the net, or prior.

Unless the ball was over the line and the keeper brought it back, this should not be a goal.  The picture of the keeper with his hand on top of the ball, the complete ball didn't appear to be over the line.  Just because you can see green next to the bottom of the ball, doesnt mean the curve isnt still on the line.  People seem to forget the whole ball has to go over.  

Further, the keeper has control and the player kicks it in to the goal out of his hand.  That shouldn't be given as a goal.

Of course this is my old school knowledge of how it used to be.  Unless they changed the rules, I do not see how you rule this a goal.  

Unless the ball was over the line and the keeper brought it back, this should not be a goal.  The picture of the keeper with his hand on top of the ball, the complete ball didn't appear to be over the line.  Just because you can see green next to the bottom of the ball, doesnt mean the curve isnt still on the line.  People seem to forget the whole ball has to go over.  

Further, the keeper has control and the player kicks it in to the goal out of his hand.  That shouldn't be given as a goal.

Of course this is my old school knowledge of how it used to be.  Unless they changed the rules, I do not see how you rule this a goal.  
I saw one replay that showed him kind of inch it back over to the line...before it getting kicked in. That was the moment that looked like it was a goal imo...just before he incrementally rolls it back.

I saw one replay that showed him kind of inch it back over to the line...before it getting kicked in. That was the moment that looked like it was a goal imo...just before he incrementally rolls it back.
If thats the case then I can see if getting given as a goal if it clear and obvious...

We often talk about how travel in MLS is more than in any other country, but to see it graphically like this, makes it seem insane. 

No wonder so many Euro players come here and have no idea what the travel is like.   Barely a month into the MLS season, an average MLS club has already traveled more than an average EPL team has for their entire season.  Holy hell....

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/ie1n9n/travel_distance_of_major_league_soccer_teams_in/

Last edited by a moderator:
We often talk about how travel in MLS is more than in any other country, but to see it graphically like this, makes it seem insane. 

No wonder so many Euro players come here and have no idea what the travel is like.   Barely a month into the MLS season, an average MLS club has already traveled more than an average EPL team has for their entire season.  Holy hell....

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/ie1n9n/travel_distance_of_major_league_soccer_teams_in/
They've been doing this kind of graph for a few yrs now. People don't realize how massive the US is compared to European countries 

Vito Angelè

@VitoAngele

·1h

BREAKING NEWS #Bakayoko would be #Milan's first signing: negotiations with #Chelsea around the details for the basis of a loan with right of redemption

Speaking live on Sky Italia, as cited by MilanNews.it, Gianluca Di Marzio revealed that Ariedo Braida could make a return to Milan. The director, who most recently worked as a scout for Barcelona, left the Rossoneri seven years ago.

Gazzetta: Plan B for AC Milan in case Ibrahimovic does not renew is signing Jovic from Real Madrid and Angel Correa from Atletico Madrid.

Austin FC signed Cecilio Dominguez. Anyone know much about him? Good signing for Austin?
He is a nice player.  Not a game breaker like his compatriot Almiron is but should make for a nice experienced pro for Austin to build off of.

Not a tremendous goal scorer but he can be employed as a striker or a left sided player who cuts in.  He was very good for Club America a couple of years ago

From what I have seen, he would be below average as a #1 DP for an MLS team but a solid #3 DP for an MLS team.  If your 2 other DP's will be better than him, that should make for a good foundation.

Well that was quick 

Nicolò Schira

@NicoSchira

·51s

Done deal! #ThiagoSilva to #Chelsea as a free agent. Agreed personal terms for a contract until 2022 (€10M/year). Then #Blues are looking to sign a new goalkeeper to replace #Kepa. Emerson Palmieri, Bakayoko, Zappcosta and Batshuayi will leave. #transfers #CFC

Well that was quick 

Nicolò Schira

@NicoSchira

·51s

Done deal! #ThiagoSilva to #Chelsea as a free agent. Agreed personal terms for a contract until 2022 (€10M/year). Then #Blues are looking to sign a new goalkeeper to replace #Kepa. Emerson Palmieri, Bakayoko, Zappcosta and Batshuayi will leave. #transfers #CFC
10m a year at 35 is a great deal.

Jesus, if Pulisic can stay healthy, his next contract is going to be ENORMOUS....

10m a year at 35 is a great deal.

Jesus, if Pulisic can stay healthy, his next contract is going to be ENORMOUS....
Silva really had his heart set on returning to Milan especially if Ibra Resigned. However his wages were a huge obstacle for the current ownership. If Milan was under new ownership already this would've been a done deal there. This helps Chelsea in the sense there's ZERO TRANSFER FEE as well. 

The United circle of life

New Manager - Board buys players - CL obtained - Board balks on any new players - Manager gets Europa (or worse) with limited options - Sack Manager - Repeat

I get the negotiations and not being made to pay more since you are Manchester United, but at some point they need to make a statement of intent to back the manager, improve the team and make winning trophies the priority.  Their top XI can play with any team but can be improved. Improve the top team, makes the depth better and improves the 2nd team, which right now would struggle to stay in the EPL.

Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal are all investing in their team.  Glazers are taking money out of the team.  In so much danger of becoming what fans have made fun of for 30 years.... Liverpool of the 90s and 2000s.

Huh. Love him or hate him or bite him, the guy is quality and creates a lot of goals.

ETA...and isn't he more of a donkey face?
Now there's a report both our Clubs want this guy... According to Sport both our clubs plus Lazio as well an an EPL squad. AJAX 3 weeks ago asked about Suarez but said he wasn't for Sale. Barca needs the money though if they want to try ad get Latuaro Martinez

Users who are viewing this thread