What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (10 Viewers)

Tough crowd here :shrug:   he played every minute of every game this season.  He’s the second highest rated CB behind only VVD.  The only defensive player who won more aeriels in the league was VVD. he was the highest ranked CB in Europa league play. United’s defense allowed 36 goals in league play and only pool (33) and city (36) were better.  I’m not sure how much more you expected as they allowed 54 goals the year before. He’s the stalwart of the defense and been worth every penny in my eyes after years of running Smalling Jones lindelof etc... our there.  He’s just 27 and in my eyes the second best CB in the league.  
Yes but he's not flashy, got megged on the end line, isnt fast, didn't score on all those headers.... I'm just messing with you.  I agree to an extent.  I think he could have been better but not so much that I want him out or stripped of the captaincy.  There are a group of United fans that will never be happy.  Same group that will slag off Pogba for 1 bad pass despite setting up Rashford for three silver platters and won't blame Rashford for missing.  Same group that believe Jose should still be there and believe Ole is just a PE teacher.  Box score fans that don't understand the game or the position the board and previous managers have put them in since SAF.  

Koemen is in a tough spot because the board is still trying to hang on until an election in March. So it isn't clear who is driving the ship. Latest reports are that Bartomeu still is not resigning after this news.

Messi or not, there is a lot of dead weight to be cleared out. Perhaps he thinks he can build a team around an attack of Griezmann and Coutinho.
:goodposting:

And I would think an attack of Griez and Cout could be able to be built around.  Time to refresh the team and re-balance it.  Having to feed Messi, who doesn't go back into his own half, has made them predictable.  And his greatness has consistently papered over the lack of balance and tactics around him.

Geez, does any club do more business than Chelsea?

Signed:  Werner, Ziyach, Silva, Chillwell, Saar, and probably putting the finishing touches on Havertz.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Signed:  Werner, Ziyach, Silva, Chillwell, Saar, and probably putting the finishing touches on Havertz.  
Hell, last summer they had a transfer ban, and still managed to sign Pulisic and Kovacic...

(yes, I know Pulisic was done before the ban)

They'll need them all when they loan out an additional 30 players...

All joking aside, this is a statement of intent by Chelsea.  They had an up and down year under a new manager, managed to secure CL and they went out and backed their manager, in a pandemic.  Chelsea is trying to close the gap on City and LP.  Will it work out for them?  Time will tell.  And its on Lampard now.

I honestly think Chelsea has a chance to be the best attacking squad in Europe next season.  Pulisic was their best attacking player last year and once Chelsea adds Havertz he might be their 4th best next year.  Chillwell will also add to their attack with his speed at LB.

Their defense on the other hand.....   Well, I guess there's still time to sign a new keeper?

Otherwise Chelsea games will be a blast to watch.  Expect a bunch of 5-4 and 6-5 scorelines.  

Messi's Father Jorge is in London talking to Man City. Their contract would include 3 yrs then going to MLS side NYFC which is owned by City. Messi would help grow the sport in America and the contract would also allow him to become an Ambassador for the club, however an option to stay in London would be there if he's still wanting to stay Per Fabrizio Romano 

It seems the longest of long shots obviously but it is hard to shake the knowledge that the owner of Inter Miami was once himself thought to be untouchable by the same league.

MLS has one item that likely no other league can offer, and that is the golden package of cut rate ownership, in a league where franchise values have skyrocketed.  This is how they landed Beckham many years back.  Would they be willing to go into that pool one more time?

Even with this though, 1 out of a 1000 seems about right.
Well if he goes to Man City fans might get their wish. They own NYFC and could give Messi a Hybrid deal where he'd finish out the contract at NYFC in MLS if he chose too 

Inter Miami had discussions with Luis Suarez though 

Listening to Tom Rennie and Rodney Marsh on grumpy pundits and they referred to Serie A as a retirement league!!!   :lmao:
I have zero idea who those two are but they sound like bloody idiots but looking them up I got more on Marsh and that's rich coming from a guy who spent his final yrs in the USL with Tampa Rowides and only managed in the states. He was also fired for making a joke about Asia after the Tsunami involving David Beckham going to Newcastle United that in todays culture would make him blacklisted in the media. Yeah dude doesn't seem too smart at all. I even read despite his talent he never fully used it all and pundits called it a wasted career. The Podcast name seems fitting for this dolt 

Wonder how much FFP they've went against in doing so. Seems UEFA/FIFA only go after certain clubs for FFA rules. 

Wonder how much FFP they've went against in doing so. Seems UEFA/FIFA only go after certain clubs for FFA rules. 
I think people tend to forget they sold Hazard and Morata - so they had built up quite a bit of cash just waiting to be spent.

Plus, even when FPP is working correctly, its a 3-year deal, so not making any transactions last year help balance the books in terms of "losses" per year.

I think people tend to forget they sold Hazard and Morata - so they had built up quite a bit of cash just waiting to be spent.

Plus, even when FPP is working correctly, its a 3-year deal, so not making any transactions last year help balance the books in terms of "losses" per year.
True to an extent however how Is a club like PSG able to spend half a Bill on two players a few yrs ago without selling anyone? The system isn't perfect but there's still loop holes for teams and it has not done anything to really help lesser clubs. Its more so put them more at a disadvantage the complete opposite it was suppose to do 

True to an extent however how Is a club like PSG able to spend half a Bill on two players a few yrs ago without selling anyone? The system isn't perfect but there's still loop holes for teams and it has not done anything to really help lesser clubs. Its more so put them more at a disadvantage the complete opposite it was suppose to do 
PSG exploited the biggest loophole - if I recall correctly, the sovereign fund hired Neymar to be an ambassador for the same amount that Neymar had to pay to buy out his deal with Barça.

Then PSG signed Neymar on a free transfer.

I have zero idea who those two are but they sound like bloody idiots but looking them up I got more on Marsh and that's rich coming from a guy who spent his final yrs in the USL with Tampa Rowides and only managed in the states. He was also fired for making a joke about Asia after the Tsunami involving David Beckham going to Newcastle United that in todays culture would make him blacklisted in the media. Yeah dude doesn't seem too smart at all. I even read despite his talent he never fully used it all and pundits called it a wasted career. The Podcast name seems fitting for this dolt 
Tom Rennie does a lot of game day work in the EPL.  Marsh is a major City homer as a former player for them. 

Normally its Marsh and and Tommy Smyth and they do have some great conversations.  Rennie's point was more that Juve is winning the league so older players going to Serie A don't have pressure to win.  It came from a caller saying Messi to Inter Miami and they heard Inter Milan.  

Union won vs Rival Red Bull Last night 1-0 thanks to a goal from our Friendly Striker Kacper (Insert that Polish last name I cannot spell). Aaronson had a great game and even got back in the MF for a terrific Defensive play that got us another scoring chance that Kacper ended up slipping on the pitch and turning the ball over in the final 18. Probably should've been goal there. In fact Red Bull were lucky not to have this match end 4-0 at this time. Kacper missed a chip with the keeper off his line where he got too precise getting it over his head. SHould've chipped it to the left side. Mark McKenzie had another great game despite a rare give away in the final 3rd that Blake made a great save on. McKenzie did make a great defensive play using his body on the 1v1 break. Blake was his usual Spiderman Self 

21 passes to a Goal by Kacper with a peach of a cross from Gaddis

Tom Rennie does a lot of game day work in the EPL.  Marsh is a major City homer as a former player for them. 

Normally its Marsh and and Tommy Smyth and they do have some great conversations.  Rennie's point was more that Juve is winning the league so older players going to Serie A don't have pressure to win.  It came from a caller saying Messi to Inter Miami and they heard Inter Milan.  
Tommy Is great. He's the color guy for the Union now and works well with JP Dellacamarra. David Leno our one pre game guy is taking his spot right now as JP's wife tested Positive for Covid but he's fine. Last night Dave brought up how this isn't the same RBNY that signed THeiry Henrey which irked Tommy (Irish Thiery Handballl) and made a joke "oh that guy with the handball against Ireland right? Yeah we aren't gonna talk about him."  

I honestly think Chelsea has a chance to be the best attacking squad in Europe next season.  Pulisic was their best attacking player last year and once Chelsea adds Havertz he might be their 4th best next year.  Chillwell will also add to their attack with his speed at LB.

Their defense on the other hand.....   Well, I guess there's still time to sign a new keeper?

Otherwise Chelsea games will be a blast to watch.  Expect a bunch of 5-4 and 6-5 scorelines.  
I think Silva immediately helps their defense, and then it's up to how Lamps runs the CMFs in front of him... kova and kante would be an interesting pairing that should be decent defensively (if they keep kante.. he's been wasted there). I really don't think this will be 2017 Liverpool, electric boogaloo.

I think Silva immediately helps their defense, and then it's up to how Lamps runs the CMFs in front of him... kova and kante would be an interesting pairing that should be decent defensively (if they keep kante.. he's been wasted there). I really don't think this will be 2017 Liverpool, electric boogaloo.
I can't believe how they've marginalized one of the top holding midfielders in Kante.  

There are going to be some fun attacks to watch: Chelsea, Liverpool, City, United, Wolves all have the talent to hit you with a goal at any time.

Dean Henderson agrees to a 6 year deal with United.  120k per week and will compete with De gea for the #1 spot.  I like it for United.  Competition is now there for De Gea.  Romero was a good #2 but everyone knew thats all he was there.  Hopefully Ole will be ruthless and play the one that deserves it, regardless of who it is.

Also interesting with rumors of Romero maybe being included in a move for Graelish.  Might be good for everyone involved.

I can't believe how they've marginalized one of the top holding midfielders in Kante.  

There are going to be some fun attacks to watch: Chelsea, Liverpool, City, United, Wolves all have the talent to hit you with a goal at any time.
I read a piece a while back that talked about Kante's ball movement being too lateral/back for lamps. That he's looking for the guy there to move the ball forward quickly into more killer spots- not a kante strength (was backed up with stats...you guys would've loved that part). 

But yeah...best player in the world at controlling the space and lanes, and shutting the ball down- I'd make my tactics work with that, instead of pluggin him in on the flank and trying to make him play like Willian.

Dean Henderson agrees to a 6 year deal with United.  120M per week and will compete with De gea for the #1 spot.  I like it for United.  Competition is now there for De Gea.  Romero was a good #2 but everyone knew thats all he was there.  Hopefully Ole will be ruthless and play the one that deserves it, regardless of who it is.

Also interesting with rumors of Romero maybe being included in a move for Graelish.  Might be good for everyone involved.
That's a lot of millions per week.

Dean Henderson agrees to a 6 year deal with United.  120M per week and will compete with De gea for the #1 spot.  I like it for United.  Competition is now there for De Gea.  Romero was a good #2 but everyone knew thats all he was there.  Hopefully Ole will be ruthless and play the one that deserves it, regardless of who it is.

Grealish has to be a little miffed at being snubbed for the England team.

It might be the kind of move the pushes him to leave Villa for a top-6 team.  :tinfoilhat:

Chelsea look like they are being built to make a strong run in Bundesliga.  Maybe challenge Bayern for the title.

We will see how they do in the PL - but it should be a lot of open play.  I don't get the sense that Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech, or Havertz are there to do much defending from the front...

#Newcasle have shown interest for Aaron #Ramsey last week. #Magpies have opened talks with #Juventus to sign the welsh midfielder, but Ramsey has rejected the bid. #transfers #NUFC

Inter have not presented an official bid to Brescia for Tonali yet becauee they need to sell one of their midfielders before they do and also need to reach an agreement on the deal formula. Milan are trying to take advantage of the situation and hijack the deal [Sky]

This is big 

Sportitalia: Attilio Fontana (Lombardy's president) considers reopening the stadiums, in Lombardy, with 25% capacity allowed.

El Floppo said:
I read a piece a while back that talked about Kante's ball movement being too lateral/back for lamps. That he's looking for the guy there to move the ball forward quickly into more killer spots- not a kante strength (was backed up with stats...you guys would've loved that part). 

But yeah...best player in the world at controlling the space and lanes, and shutting the ball down- I'd make my tactics work with that, instead of pluggin him in on the flank and trying to make him play like Willian.
Wasnt he moved out wide by Conte before Lampard followed suit? I'm sure there are reasons from both Conte and Lampard, but you would think the value is there and hopefully he can be coached?

El Floppo said:
That's a lot of millions per week.
oops, 120K per week   :wall:

The Gator said:
Grealish has to be a little miffed at being snubbed for the England team.

It might be the kind of move the pushes him to leave Villa for a top-6 team.  :tinfoilhat:
Neither he nor Maddison were picked for England.  Similar positions, but Southgate said Graelish was blocked by Rashford, Sterling, Greenwood and another winger or wide attacking player.  The few times I watched him play he seemed more central, but seems maybe we was more of a wing for AV?  Seems an odd group blocking him.

Neither he nor Maddison were picked for England.  Similar positions, but Southgate said Graelish was blocked by Rashford, Sterling, Greenwood and another winger or wide attacking player.  The few times I watched him play he seemed more central, but seems maybe we was more of a wing for AV?  Seems an odd group blocking him.
Maddison is at least coming off an injury.

I think Grealish has been playing a wing role for Villa - because its Villa, and they have no players.  The wing-role allowed him to be more creator than real winger.

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

44m

Inter have re-opened talks with FC Barcelona for Arturo Vidal. Antonio Conte wants him again.

@DiMarzio@SkySport

#Inter #FCB #Vidal

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

BREAKING: Celtic have been knocked out the Champions League after a 2-1 home defeat to Ferencvaros in the second qualifying round.

McKennie flying to Turin for Juventus. Not sure if this is the best move or not. I sure am not rooting for Rubentus though

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Weston McKennie will fly to Italy on next days to have medicals and sign as new Juventus player. Agreement reached with Schalke04 - loan (€3M) with buy option (€18M). Here we go

@SkySport

@DiMarzio

#Juve #Juventus #transfers

Crazy thing is, Dest might join him.

Insta-allegience-switch. (Which would be bad timing as I think Inter are lined up to take this thing)

Might be adding MLS to this list of non games soon

Matteo Bonetti

@BonettiESPN

·12m

Unclear whether or not @InterMiamiCF vs @ATLUTD is kicking off. Players out on the pitch having a discussion while wearing BLM shirts.

Then you really aren't an Inter supporter dude  :D
I'm a US supporter. And an Inter supporter. But if it's US players playing for Juve vs Inter...rooting for Inter win with US players kicking ###. I lived in Milan a few months and saw a few games at San Siro. I've lived in the US and rooted for the US (and wanted to play for the US)...just a little longer and more.

I'm a US supporter. And an Inter supporter. But if it's US players playing for Juve vs Inter...rooting for Inter win with US players kicking ###. I lived in Milan a few months and saw a few games at San Siro. I've lived in the US and rooted for the US (and wanted to play for the US)...just a little longer and more.
How did you become an Inter Supporter and not a Milan. I only became a fan after the 06 WC because of the players on the squad. It's amazing I didn't become an Juventus or Roma fan as Juve had just as many but Totti was always one of my favorite players. 

How did you become an Inter Supporter and not a Milan. I only became a fan after the 06 WC because of the players on the squad. It's amazing I didn't become an Juventus or Roma fan as Juve had just as many but Totti was always one of my favorite players. 
I didn't really know anything about Inter before I got there ('88/9)...knew more about Milan. But I got to be buds with the guy who made my morning cappuccino and another waiter at the spot I ate at most nights...both Inter fans. Cappuccino guy asked if I wanted to go one week...and that was it. They won the scudetto with Brehme, Mathaus and Diaz. Went to the last game of the season too...got to walk on the field. A bit better than cow pastures I was used to.

Iirc, Milan won the European Cup the same week Inter clinched serie A...the city went nuts for days. I even seem to recall the local basketball team winning the championship while I was there too.

And here we go... At least CP can use this time to rehab- hopefully he's not infected and really sick. Anybody know if CP came home or visited another third world country?

At least eight Chelsea players have been forced to quarantine in line with government guidelines, Goal has learned, with at least four of the individuals having tested positive for Covid-19.

Goal can confirm that Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Christian Pulisic and Fikayo Tomori are four of the players that are isolating although it is unknown if they are the individuals that have tested positive for coronavirus.

The Blues first-team underwent coronavirus testing at the end of last week upon their return to training, in line with Premier League protocol ahead of the new season which begins on the weekend of September 12.

It could be that some of the players are merely following government guidelines following travel from abroad, with the UK currently enforcing 14-day self-isolation for people who have visited a country that is on Britain's high-risk list in terms of coronavirus infection rates.

Regardless, with eight squad members now quarantining, Frank Lampard's pre-season preparations have been thrown into disarray ahead of the Premier League's return in mid-September

He was pictured on holiday with some others in a warm climate  - but I don't recall who off the top of my head.  Abraham and Tomori come to mind though.
Looks like it was all of them...

Christian Pulisic, Tammy Abraham, Fikayo Tomori and Mason Mount are on holiday together ahead of the reported local pre-season friendlies before the new season.

The four Chelsea stars made use of the brief break before the preparations for the new Premier League campaign, which starts on September 12.

They have shared some of their moments on the Greek island of Mykonos on social media.

He was pictured on holiday with some others in a warm climate  - but I don't recall who off the top of my head.  Abraham and Tomori come to mind though.
That would suck if the list changed during or after their visit. Would be headasplodingly stupid of they went travelling WITH the quarantine rule in place.

Also - England just recently changed some of their quarantine rules/countries - I think it caught a few people by surprise.  I know Kane had to quarantine from his holiday also.

Looks like it was all of them...

Christian Pulisic, Tammy Abraham, Fikayo Tomori and Mason Mount are on holiday together ahead of the reported local pre-season friendlies before the new season.

The four Chelsea stars made use of the brief break before the preparations for the new Premier League campaign, which starts on September 12.

They have shared some of their moments on the Greek island of Mykonos on social media.
Huh...nttawt, visiting Mykonos.

I thought Greece was one of the few countries that had a handle on covid. Our Greek/American gb couldn't get a flight in all summer because every direct flight from the states had been cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread