What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Huh...nttawt, visiting Mykonos.

I thought Greece was one of the few countries that had a handle on covid. Our Greek/American gb couldn't get a flight in all summer because every direct flight from the states had been cancelled.
I think that is more an indictment as to how bad the US has handled things than saying anything about how Greece is handling it....though banning flights from the US is probably a smart move on their behalf.

Chelsea just collecting a ton of young and experienced talent.

==============

@WhoScored

Most appearances by outfielders currently aged 21 and under in Europe's top five leagues since 2016/17

Kai Havertz - 118 (Chelsea )

Kylian Mbappe - 106 (PSG)

Christian Pulisic - 106 (Chelsea )

Malang Sarr - 102 (Chelsea )

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of covid problems:

jamie jackson @JamieJackson___ ·6m

Now confirmed (by Deschamps) Pogba has coronavirus - joins Wan-Bissaka in having to self-isolate, so each miss next Wednesday's start of pre-season training. Factor in the Harry Maguire affair and this is not the best close season ever for @ManUtd or for Solskjaer to deal with...

United do not play the first weekend, so they have a litte time to get everyone in and training.

Now confirmed (by Deschamps) Pogba has coronavirus - joins Wan-Bissaka in having to self-isolate, so each miss next Wednesday's start of pre-season training. Factor in the Harry Maguire affair and this is not the best close season ever for @ManUtd or for Solskjaer to deal with...

United do not play the first weekend, so they have a litte time to get everyone in and training.
I wonder if he has it, or like the bopsy triplets, is quarantining due to travel restrictions. At this point, that's an easy, but big mistake for these twit reporters to make.

Chelsea just collecting a ton of young and experienced talent.

==============

@WhoScored

Most appearances by outfielders currently aged 21 and under in Europe's top five leagues since 2016/17

Kai Havertz - 118 (Chelsea )

Kylian Mbappe - 106 (PSG)

Christian Pulisic - 106 (Chelsea )

Malang Sarr - 102 (Chelsea )
Who is Sarr? I follow, but obviouy not close enough.

And not one signing to help bolster the team.....

well 2020 continues to go swimmingly well.  Here is the Real Salt Lake owner's take on MLS cancelling games yesterday due to the protests

:(

================================================

DLH on the game not happening last night: "The disrespect was profound to me, personally"

DLH - "it's taken a lot of wind out of my sails on how much I want to invest in the team - buying players and building the team."

well 2020 continues to go swimmingly well.  Here is the Real Salt Lake owner's take on MLS cancelling games yesterday due to the protests

DLH on the game not happening last night: "The disrespect was profound to me, personally"

DLH - "it's taken a lot of wind out of my sails on how much I want to invest in the team - buying players and building the team."
oh dear :(

=========================

Ives Galarcep

Dell Loy Hansen, #RSL owner, goes off on the decision by players to protest last night’s game and now is reportedly laying off employees in response and is blaming that on the players. Can’t imagine many who know #MLS are shocked it would be Hansen to take this awful stance

Wow, most of the MLS, MLB and NBA owners seem to be supporting everything.  But there will always be one.

In other news, reportedly City are expected to bid 100m Euros, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, and Eric Garcia to Barca for Messi. Not sure what to think of it.  Could be a nice little score for Barca, although I am not a big fan of Gabriel Jesus.  

oh wow....

Hey here is a team for Messi to buy :)

=========================================

[Jake Simons] hearing that there is a meeting happening at RSL with Coaches and Management. Word is that MLS may be in take-over mode. Staying close to it.

French center back who has been playing regularly for Nice since 17. He has represented France from U16 through the U21's
I had him on one of my FM saves.  He was dynamite, but I couldn't hold on to him as he wanted to treat S####thorpe as a stepping stone.  Dummy, S####horpe won back to back CL titles under The Z!

:popcorn:

This is one of the few billionaires who lives in Utah

======================

[Ryan Smith] on Twitter: “I’m in.... they got my number” (on purchasing Real Salt Lake)

I hate to say this but consider the source of where they are. Probably a lot of fans in Salt Lake with his unfortunate opinion. Its so bad there that Micheal Jordan refused to take his family there when he played in the NBA especially the playoffs. He didn't admit the blatant reason for it but you could understand why if you followed the NBA and saw the Westbrook situation and then another incident last year. 

Wow, most of the MLS, MLB and NBA owners seem to be supporting everything.  But there will always be one.

In other news, reportedly City are expected to bid 100m Euros, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, and Eric Garcia to Barca for Messi. Not sure what to think of it.  Could be a nice little score for Barca, although I am not a big fan of Gabriel Jesus.  
The great thing is when an owner isn't supporting it everyone goes after them to show what a fool they are

Some on just posted the full context of what Hansen said.  It some how looks even worse now that you have the full context.  This is not some one MLS should be doing business with :(

Some on just posted the full context of what Hansen said.  It some how looks even worse now that you have the full context.  This is not some one MLS should be doing business with :(
Link, if you don't mind?

Easy to think of him in the abstract as willfully bigoted at worst, or just dumbly ignorant at hest

Ugh. No reason given for shutting the stadium down to fans other than what's implied by "as a consequence of what took place"?
From these comments, it appears to me like DLH wants no part of this any more.  He seems pretty clear that he is done.

These comments were not off the cuff, he went on a radio station that he himself owns in Utah and just went off.

People are reporting that he kicked all the players out of training today and is throwing a hissy fit.

According to Sky Italia’s Gianluca Di Marzio, the Swede has in fact reached an agreement with Milan, with the club making a further financial effort to please the player.

Ibrahimovic’s salary will be €7million net for a new one-year deal, but without the inclusion of any kind of bonuses, with it having been previously reported that Milan’s offer was a €6m fixed salary plus €1m in bonuses.

Fabrizio Romano is also reporting that the 38-year-old has agreed a new deal until June 2021.

From these comments, it appears to me like DLH wants no part of this any more.  He seems pretty clear that he is done.

These comments were not off the cuff, he went on a radio station that he himself owns in Utah and just went off.

People are reporting that he kicked all the players out of training today and is throwing a hissy fit.
Yeah thats not gonna go over well with the Players Union. I expect MLS to act as fast on this as when the Union reported Nowack for his crimes against the players maybe even faster considering the circumstances. If I'm the players and coaches I refuse to even go to the training ground till this clown is out. 

Onouha was apparently on BBC (so this has now gone international) and said he wanted off the team.  Rimando (retired) and Williams also seem to have some dirty laundry to air as well.  

Onouha was apparently on BBC (so this has now gone international) and said he wanted off the team.  Rimando (retired) and Williams also seem to have some dirty laundry to air as well.  
I saw the Williams quote.   Gave me goosebumps (not the good kind).

MLS has a chance to make a big statement here or act like a turtle and hope it goes away.

his prerogative. I assume he thinks the rest of the sporting world is going about this all wrong and even though he's the only one sitting at that post, assumes he's the only voice of reason in this I'm-not-a-racist world. I hope he sells to Jozy. or just gives the thing to Messi. 

Yeah I had seen something earlier from a MLS person who use to be in the Union Youth Set up coaching. He said he's heard through the grapevine of this happening with he players. Said he's heard a few things about this owner but wouldn't go into detail saying it wasn't his place to do so and he'd let anyone associated with the team currently or former do that. He said it makes what happened with Nowak here look like a Saint though. If you remember the accusations on Nowak they weren't great either. 

Milan have made a step forward in trying to sign Tonali - in the last hours they've made an improved offer to compete with Inter for him (Di Marzio)

Ibra is taking the Cursed #9 from Milan which is almost more cursed then being on the Madden cover. If anyone can break it, well it's our lord and savior Ibra 

:thumbdown:    way too little. 

The intentions of the players was crystal clear, whether you agreed with it or not.

===============================

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

Dell Loy Hansen: "The players' intentions were probably misinterpreted on my side."

:thumbdown:    way too little. 

The intentions of the players was crystal clear, whether you agreed with it or not.

===============================

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

Dell Loy Hansen: "The players' intentions were probably misinterpreted on my side."
I saw the MLS statement - essentially trying to walk the league away from the situation, denouncing DLH's comments, while recognizing the money he has spent on Soccer in general - MLS, USL, NWSL, and youth level.

Last edited by a moderator:
that does not read like a statement from a league looking to push out an owner.  I wonder if the PR team wrote this before the Athletic piece came out......
I have not seen the Athletic piece - but I know DLH went on his radio today to pseudo-apologize.  So, I imagine Garber and he had a chat about how DLH was going to follow up his comments today. 

So, maybe Garber was aware that DLH was at least not going to double down, and thus no need for MLS to escalate at this point - allowing for a potentially smoother exit down the road,  :shrug:

I have not seen the Athletic piece - but I know DLH went on his radio today to pseudo-apologize.  So, I imagine Garber and he had a chat about how DLH was going to follow up his comments today. 

So, maybe Garber was aware that DLH was at least not going to double down, and thus no need for MLS to escalate at this point - allowing for a potentially smoother exit down the road,  :shrug:
Here is one of quite a few similar tidbits from the story.  I have a feeling the flood gates may open...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Egdg6MWXgAApUAt?format=png&name=900x900

I listened to Andy William's interview on local news stations FB page...but he held back pretty much everything knowing the Athletic piece was dripping later. Tbh, came across as a disgruntled furloughed guy more than anything else in the absence of anything substantive.

Fwiw, I think the athletic article is behind a paywall. Any details?

Users who are viewing this thread