What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Official statement from UEFA about Super League: “The clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other domestic competition, European or International level, and the players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams”.
The fact that UEFA is making such a public statement makes me think that this is not an idol threat and clearly UEFA did not get their hush money either, which is probably the genesis of the statement.

I don't really care if they screw up club soccer but if they ruin international soccer, I am going to be really bummed.  :(

The fact that UEFA is making such a public statement makes me think that this is not an idol threat and clearly UEFA did not get their hush money either, which is probably the genesis of the statement.

I don't really care if they screw up club soccer but if they ruin international soccer, I am going to be really bummed.  :(
How effing twisted do you have to be to make UEFA and the EPL look like the good guys?  I mean, really.

How effing twisted do you have to be to make UEFA and the EPL look like the good guys?  I mean, really.
this was exactly my point earlier.  Every possible part of the sport is involved in these messes.   Everyone is out to better their own situation (read: pocketbook).

Pointing the finger and complaining about MLS like they are the only entity out for themselves seems very very strange to me.

oh you just knew this was coming from the Euro snobs  :lmao:

======================

Adam Whittaker Snavely

@Snaves

There are people on God’s green internet so full of their own righteous journey to get promotion and relegation into the United States that they think the European Super League is the result of FIFA not cracking down on MLS

Assuming this is more than just the normal extortion to make Champions League easier for the big teams, I don't see how the new super league functions as a "mostly" closed model.  I think they are going to have to be entirely closed for it to work.  

The feeder leagues are obviously going to be hostile to the Super League and can simply tell any team that leaves for a temporary promotion to the Super League that once they are relegated they have to start over at the bottom of the pyramid when they want to come back.

You can see the American influence on the super league right at the top structure

================

City Xtra

@City_Xtra

European Super League details:

Chairman: Florentino Perez [Real Madrid]

Vice-Chairman: Stan Kroenke [Arsenal]

Vice-Chairman: Andrea Agnelli [Juventus]

Vice-Chairman: John W. Henry [Liverpool]

Vice-Chairman: Joel Glazer [Manchester United]

You can see the American influence on the super league right at the top structure

================

City Xtra

@City_Xtra

European Super League details:

Chairman: Florentino Perez [Real Madrid]

Vice-Chairman: Stan Kroenke [Arsenal]

Vice-Chairman: Andrea Agnelli [Juventus]

Vice-Chairman: John W. Henry [Liverpool]

Vice-Chairman: Joel Glazer [Manchester United]
That is quite the list :yucky:

I feel like a super league would be incredible for the game.  The American model works.  

The Europeans don’t want change and that’s understandable.  There is a lot of history involved. But why are fans so worried about a paradigm where City, PSG, Juventus and Bayern run away with 80% of league titles?

The entire European soccer model is a free for all where filthy rich moguls buy and sell players, have no accountability, buy and sell kids, allow super agents to run the continent, and exploit the athletes with endless competitions.

This new proposal may have flaws, but the idea that the current setup is nirvana is absurd.  And fifa/uefa/pl trying to play the morality card is rich.  It’s all about money and these orgs are scared stiff.  Because guess what, people don’t care about uefa. They care about ManU, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc.  

City, PSG, Juventus and Bayern run away with 80% of league titles?
Because they don't.  Juve won't win the league this session.  PSG is in a dogfight, and EPL is one season away from Liverpool dominating all comers.

Sure these top teams dominate their leagues, but the title isn't a guarantee (unless you're Bayern).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayern and Dortmund were asked to join, but of course they both rejected it.  The only German teams that would consider are RBL and Hoffenheim, because the rest are fan owned.  No way they vote to leave the Bundesliga even with the money potential.

PSG won't join until after 2022 WC at the earliest, considering how much money Qatar has put into the World Cup.  And given that only the first 15 teams are supposedly allowed part of the windfall payout, I doubt they join later either.

I don't see any feasible way this happens without at least FIFA support.  I can't see players being ok with missing EURO and WC competitions just to earn an extra million or so(because this windfall payment isn't going to trickle down to the players).

I can't see players being ok with missing EURO and WC competitions just to earn an extra million or so(because this windfall payment isn't going to trickle down to the players).
I think this is the kicker and the real leverage that UEFA and FIFA have here.  You have to think that 70+% wouldn't trade their national team play for more $.

Bayern and Dortmund were asked to join, but of course they both rejected it.  The only German teams that would consider are RBL and Hoffenheim, because the rest are fan owned.  No way they vote to leave the Bundesliga even with the money potential.

PSG won't join until after 2022 WC at the earliest, considering how much money Qatar has put into the World Cup.  And given that only the first 15 teams are supposedly allowed part of the windfall payout, I doubt they join later either.

I don't see any feasible way this happens without at least FIFA support.  I can't see players being ok with missing EURO and WC competitions just to earn an extra million or so(because this windfall payment isn't going to trickle down to the players).
It’s an empty threat from fifa. Fifa isn’t stupid and there’s no way FIFA would cut off the top players in the game. And if they do, who cares. Fifa is as corrupt as it gets

Is Tancredi Palmeri usually reliable? He’s tweeting that the 12 teams have left the ECA and the Super League plans on starting already in August.

I mean I don’t really care how it happens, but I want to see Barca-ManU twice a year (among many other matchups) much more than ManU-Southampton twice a year.  The CL is relative crap until the knockout rounds and then it’s a crapshoot.  

I mean I don’t really care how it happens, but I want to see Barca-ManU twice a year (among many other matchups) much more than ManU-Southampton twice a year.  The CL is relative crap until the knockout rounds and then it’s a crapshoot.  
And isn't the CL expected to further expand the group stages?

I get that, but I thought the CL had been proposing to expand to 10 group games which is crappy too.
Yeah, I think they were set to announce their changes tomorrow.  So, either the Super League were trying to get a jump on that, or someone was preparing to run a story on it, and the SL teams just put it all out there.

I think most people are upset, but don't really know why.  I think in reality, this won't change the landscape all that much.  Teams in the league will have more money, just as teams in CL do - but those teams will be spending more money, and paying a Super League Tax when buying players - so those lower teams will still be getting paid.

I honestly don’t know what to think - I mean, the idea of the super league is awesome but there’s so much history in football that seems to be thrown out the window.  As an American fan of an EPL team that would join, it’s easy to say it’s great but I imagine the people of Manchester have to have a much different take.  

It's stupid because it enshrines a permanent class division within European football.  Sure there's are teams that are consistent winners, but with this, there is little chance for Porto or RBL or Ajax or Lyon to capture the top European trophy. Nor does it punish the teams that fail to keep pace like Arsenal right now or Liverpool prior to 2 years ago.  The codified ending of any meritocracy is not good.

Furthermore, I don't think the fans want this.  The fans are not clamoring for change like this. Therefore it's an obvious money grab by the clubs that already have the deepest pockets, and that's just wrong.

:shrug:

None of the Super League teams will play in it - so call it whatever you want, but it will be Europa League level, at best.
Sure - but you will still have league champions, right?

And if Spurs want to ever win something they should just decline the invite.  Jose might be able to finish ahead of Leicester once in the next five years.

The 15 permanent clubs will supposedly leave their domestic leagues for ever.  Then 5 other teams will yo yo.

The governing bodies are saying they oppose this but of course that will all be swept under the rug via a large enough payment and or UEFA bending over again to accommodate the big clubs.

I am interested to see how FIFA handles this.  They could bar any players who play in the break away league from playing international soccer but the money is likely to be so great in the Super League it may not matter.  And of course FIFA will have their hand out just like every other entity and will justify it once the suit case weighs enough.
They already said any club and player who participates in this is banned from UEFA and Fifa games. Thats Means the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and others are banned from the World Cup, Euro's, Champions League etc. 

A European super league has been talked about since Manchester City was in the Second Division. It's typical that the big money clubs waited for a global pandemic before they struck. They'll get their filthy lucre but at what cost?

In other news, AFC Wimbledon have three wins on the trot to pull five points clear of the relegation zone.

lol what the hell is Tottenham doing in the Super League 
They are that kid at school who thinks he's part of the cool crowd but really the cool kids just felt sorry for and use him for their needs and he doesn't realize they aren't really his friend 

They already said any club and player who participates in this is banned from UEFA and Fifa games. Thats Means the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and others are banned from the World Cup, Euro's, Champions League etc. 
I don't care about them.  I care about Pulisic, McKennie, Dest, and Steffen, all of whom could get caught up in this mess.

Here is the statement UEFA made, note the underlined, it is not yet a clear statement on international play for the players themselves.

======================

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

Users who are viewing this thread