What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Bwb the obvious "which one of these doesn't belong" team. Outside of very small windows, they looked outright weak against PSV, who should've won the tie by 5-6 goals.

Current odds to lift the CL trophy:

City +170
Arsenal +500
Real +600
Bayern +650
PSG +750
Barcelona +1000
Atleti +1100
BvB +2300

Interesting that the top 4 favorites are all on one side of the bracket meaning one of the four underdogs will play in the final. I'm surprised the odds break down like this after the draw. It wouldn't be crazy for Atletico to beat Dortmund, beat the PSG/Barca winner in a single game knockout and play in the final at +1100.

What in the living **** were they thinking??

============================

Vinicius Junior’s frustration with Real Madrid’s reaction to the racist abuse he has suffered in Spain reached a new flashpoint over a recent social media post made by the club.

Last week, an Instagram post that was quickly deleted from Madrid’s official account featured a photo of Vinicius Jr kissing the Real Madrid badge. Underneath, there was a ‘sticker’ depicting five stages of humans’ evolution from apes. Below were the words ‘Vini Vici’ — the name of an Israeli dance music group that uses the image.

According to sources close to the player, Vinicius Jr was so angered by the post that he considered refusing to play in the team’s next fixture, a La Liga match at Valencia on Saturday, March 9.

The post was deleted around 45 minutes after its publication.

Current odds to lift the CL trophy:

City +170
Arsenal +500
Real +600
Bayern +650
PSG +750
Barcelona +1000
Atleti +1100
BvB +2300

Interesting that the top 4 favorites are all on one side of the bracket meaning one of the four underdogs will play in the final. I'm surprised the odds break down like this after the draw. It wouldn't be crazy for Atletico to beat Dortmund, beat the PSG/Barca winner in a single game knockout and play in the final at +1100.
A man can dream

You can now officially set the clock to see how long it takes MLS brass to think up yet another roster rule to get him to Miami :)

=====

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
·
Xavi: “We decided to let Antoine Griezmann leave just because of the financial situation, the club had to let him go”.“Griezmann is a player that I like a lot, but he left for that reason”.

You can now officially set the clock to see how long it takes MLS brass to think up yet another roster rule to get him to Miami :)

=====

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
·
Xavi: “We decided to let Antoine Griezmann leave just because of the financial situation, the club had to let him go”.“Griezmann is a player that I like a lot, but he left for that reason”.
Grizzy still has a lot of game left. He has been the best player on the field for plenty of Atleti games this year. He's not dead yet!

Looks like Lalas is starting the MLS vs EPL debate again (was asked where he thinks the best MLS team finishes in the EPL table).

He says the best MLS team would finish Mid-Table in the EPL.

I think they would be fighting relegation at best, but admit I am a Euro Snob and most of MLS is hard to watch. What do you guys think?

Looks like Lalas is starting the MLS vs EPL debate again (was asked where he thinks the best MLS team finishes in the EPL table).

I think they would be fighting relegation at best, but admit I am a Euro Snob and most of MLS is hard to watch. What do you guys think?
Bottom third. But apples to oranges just due to $$ structure.

Mls is fun as hell to watch... I mean, sure- it's no Luton vs Brentford but still fun.

Mid table right now is a team like Chelsea or Newcastle. MLS teams would get worked.

Mls is fun as hell to watch... I mean, sure- it's no Luton vs Brentford but still fun.
Oh for sure its not a direct comparison.

:lmao: Luton v Brentford ends up being wide open and fun for neutrals.

I try and watch MLS, but mostly I see players running 100 miles an hour, kicking everyone and everything, missing the better passes, etc. Not always, and there have been some games I have enjoyed. Some teams are becoming watchable.

I think bottom 3rd, but not sure it's necessarily "relegation battle". At least not the very best teams in a given season.

I try and watch MLS, but mostly I see players running 100 miles an hour, kicking everyone and everything, missing the better passes, etc. Not always, and there have been some games I have enjoyed. Some teams are becoming watchable.
When's the last time you watched?

I tried watching several years ago and didn't think it was worth the time for the quality I was seeing out there.

With STL joining last year and watching much more, there may be a bias, but the games are much more enjoyable to watch and the quality is better than I remember.

When's the last time you watched?

I tried watching several years ago and didn't think it was worth the time for the quality I was seeing out there.

With STL joining last year and watching much more, there may be a bias, but the games are much more enjoyable to watch and the quality is better than I remember.
Oh I watch a few every season. Haven't watched any this season yet though.

You just described me watching Man United games the last couple years. Or chelsea, Juve or Milan.

You just described me watching Man United games the last couple years. Or chelsea, Juve or Milan.
Oh for sure United games have been hard to watch at times too.

I've watched a few Milan, Bayern, Leverkusen games lately as well, aside from the EPL. Even the boring ones are less frustrating to watch then a lot of MLS games. IMO anyway.

I'm being serious though... And I've mentioned in here how grim it is watching these teams. Even though- like MLS teams - they put in fun games every now and then.

I actually have found Brentford and Brighton to be game to game as fun as a lot of City or Liverpool games. MLS teams remind me more of those two, and tend to be pretty wide open (ie not as good tactically) with moments of high quality around the ball.

PSV has been my go-to... Like watching those old Liverpool teams you knew were going to score goals in bunches (although Liverpool gifted goals too).

The best MLS team would be 100% relegation fodder. Not even close to staying up.

Just to grab the first example of an unbiased attempt to rank the clubs... Luton is #277, Sheffield United is #506. Top of the Championship... Leicester #132, Leeds #296.

Philly, Columbus and LA are all ~400ish.

Last time I went deep down this rabbit hole I felt pretty good that MLS teams would be scattered across most of the Championship standings, outside the top 2-3 teams, with a few in the top half of League One. Which is incredible IMO -- the Championship is no joke. I think MLS is probably a top ~10-12 league in the world already.

The best MLS team would be 100% relegation fodder. Not even close to staying up.

Just to grab the first example of an unbiased attempt to rank the clubs... Luton is #277, Sheffield United is #506. Top of the Championship... Leicester #132, Leeds #296.

Last time I went deep down this rabbit hole I felt pretty good that MLS teams would be scattered across most of the Championship standings, outside the top 2-3 teams, with a few in the top half of League One. Which is incredible IMO -- the Championship is no joke. I think MLS is probably a top ~10-12 league in the world already.
I agree with every single line.

I never understand why anyone listens to Lalas. He is only click baiting.

MLS being in the top 10-15 area is even more amazing because they are a salary capped league being compared to free spending leagues.

I agree with every single line.

I never understand why anyone listens to Lalas. He is only click baiting.

MLS being in the top 10-15 area is even more amazing because they are a salary capped league being compared to free spending leagues.
I agree with you both, esp about Lalas.

I think the top MLS team could make a run at promotion from the Championship to EPL but ultimately, if they did get promoted, they would be right back down. Overall, most MLS teams would be mid table in the championship.

Cannot lie, hearing people say that United v Liverpool was one of the greatest games in the history of the FA Cup is killing me. Apparently I have missed out.

Even when Liverpool was winning I was pissed at how they were playing -- so careless with the ball and so open. It felt like 2016. And when they conceded the 3rd and the 4th on schoolboys-know-better mistakes it never occurred to me for a second I was watching a classic.

Cannot lie, hearing people say that United v Liverpool was one of the greatest games in the history of the FA Cup is killing me. Apparently I have missed out.

Even when Liverpool was winning I was pissed at how they were playing -- so careless with the ball and so open. It felt like 2016. And when they conceded the 3rd and the 4th on schoolboys-know-better mistakes it never occurred to me for a second I was watching a classic.
I only saw the 2nd half of ET, so grains 8f salt and all... but both teams were so sloppy that it's hard to imagine this as the greatest anything, despite a fantastic ending (resulting from goofily sloppy play)

I only saw the 2nd half of ET, so grains 8f salt and all... but both teams were so sloppy that it's hard to imagine this as the greatest anything, despite a fantastic ending (resulting from goofily sloppy play)
Wide open games with a lot of scoring, comebacks, extra time and a winner at the death always get called "the greatest" by pundits and casual fans. Add in that it was the two biggest clubs in England and the hyperbole is running wild.

I watched the first 60 mins and it was sloppy with poor decisions everywhere. I can't imagine it got better over the next 60 mins outside of a couple goals.

Tom Bogert
@tombogert
·
4m

Sources: LAFC in advanced talks with France all-time leading scorer Olivier Giroud about a summer move when his AC Milan deal endsNothing agreed or imminent, but talks serious. LAFC has his discovery rights. Giroud considering options

Attachments

• EdO4O9h3_x96.jpg
    EdO4O9h3_x96.jpg
    691 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:
I admit I have become a quality football snob, so it's nice to hear that I'm not completely crazy on this one. Thanks to you both.
BMav is right. People just like goals. That was a sloppy game and it was nowhere near the greatest game of all time. The EFL Cup title game against Chelsea was much better play but only ended up 1-0 in extra time.

I don't want to give oxygen to Lalas, but I do wonder how Miami would fare in the European leagues. A lot of players with European experience and pedigree.

I don't want to give oxygen to Lalas, but I do wonder how Miami would fare in the European leagues. A lot of players with European experience and pedigree.
They would do better in La Liga or Ligue 1 where leagues tend to be a little less physical - maybe mid-table there.

They would be relegation fodder in PL.

Outside of Messi, none of them were wanted in Europe any longer.

Heck Suarez's goal over the weekend looked like a Sunday league goal and he looked off the pace despite scoring it.

I admit I have become a quality football snob, so it's nice to hear that I'm not completely crazy on this one. Thanks to you both.
BMav is right. People just like goals. That was a sloppy game and it was nowhere near the greatest game of all time. The EFL Cup title game against Chelsea was much better play but only ended up 1-0 in extra time.
This is what drives me nuts about the post game ratings pundits give the players too. You score a goal and you are 7s and 8s despite everything bad you did in the game (poor passes, giveaways, wrong position defensively). As much as goals change games and you can't win without them, simply scoring the goal doesn't make you man of the match or 8 out of 10 rating.

Yes this is Scott Mctominay shade.....

Outside of Messi, none of them were wanted in Europe any longer.

Heck Suarez's goal over the weekend looked like a Sunday league goal and he looked off the pace despite scoring it.
I don't agree with this.

If you are equating "Europe" with only the top 25 teams or so then yes I would agree, but there are a ton of teams that would have been happy to take some of the other older players if they could have afforded them.

Scott Mctominay shade
I thought of you during the match when I realized I thought he was having a game. He was a stout workhorse, and popped up for a few huge chances.
He does. He works hard going forward and does some good things at times, like the goal, the occasional assist, perhaps a defensive header.

I thought he had potential to be a 6 and a captain when he broke in. But he hasn't developed and has become part 8 and part 10 but not top notch in either spot. The MF gets left wide open with him, Mainoo and Bruno in there together.

Overall he is not positionally sound defensively for a center mf, his tracking back is getting worse with each game (not just a McT issue, half of United jogs back on def), he has scored but he's not a goal scorer (a true scorer would have had a hat trick and put the game away early with his chances), lacks vision in the attack often choosing the wrong pass or gets in other players way with his runs. For every good moment, there are two bad.

Like Perreira moving to Fulham and excelling for them, McT would be a star for a mid table team. For a team with trophy aspirations, you can not consistently start players like McT. He is an attacking player you put in late to go for it.

United needs a holding mf to support Mainoo and Bruno. Casemiro on his best days is it, but those days may be gone.

ok, McT rant over.

Damn you international break. With no games, I now have to hear all the rumors about Southgate possibly replacing ETH as United manager this summer.
No matter what you think of ETH, I guarantee you that Southgate would be a downgrade. :censored: :wall:

Damn you international break. With no games, I now have to hear all the rumors about Southgate possibly replacing ETH as United manager this summer.
No matter what you think of ETH, I guarantee you that Southgate would be a downgrade. :censored: :wall:
Maguire hearing this rumor: :excited:

Watching PAN v MEX, and I noticed Mexs #9 Quinones is black. Have they ever fielded a black player? Never occured to me before.

Watching PAN v MEX, and I noticed Mexs #9 Quinones is black. Have they ever fielded a black player? Never occured to me before.
I think they have had plenty of mixed players (pardon if that is not the correct term to use any more).

I think there have been a bunch like Gio Dos Santos with some mixed Brazilian blood in him.

I think Quinones is Colombian if I am not mistaken.

I think they have had plenty of mixed players (pardon if that is not the correct term to use any more).

I think there have been a bunch like Gio Dos Santos with some mixed Brazilian blood in him.

I think Quinones is Colombian if I am not mistaken.
Feels like we're treading on thin ice here, ol pal. :lol: even though I know neither of us is placing any judgement on it- just probably getting the latest word choice wrong.

Chesterfield won promotion back to the Football League last weekend, unbelievably early given there's only the one automatic spot and it's still Match

Busy couple of weeks for me:

Tonight - Stockport Georgians v Cammell Laird (North West Counties)
29/3 - Bootle v Trafford (Northern Premier League)
30/3 - Sheffield United v Fulham (Premier League)
1/4 - Prescot Cables v Runcorn Linnets (Northern Premier League)
4/4 - Liverpool v Sheffield United (Premier League)
6/4 - Runcorn Linnets v Mossley (Northern Premier League)
7/4 - Sheffield United v Chelsea (Premier League)
13/4 - Brentford v Sheffield United (Premier League)

Chesterfield won promotion back to the Football League last weekend, unbelievably early given there's only the one automatic spot and it's still Match

You attend all these games??
Is there a vid blog or something? Instagram to follow?

Personally. I would like to know what the vibe and the scran is like @ Runcorn Linnets v Mossley

You attend all these games??
Is there a vid blog or something? Instagram to follow?

Personally. I would like to know what the vibe and the scran is like @ Runcorn Linnets v Mossley

I will be at all those games, yes. If I drove I would likely go to more than I do, but I don't and doing so would also negate part of the entertainment, i.e. having a beer at the game (at least from step 3 of non league down, which covers every non-Blades game I list), having a beer and watching the game at the same time is both permitted and encouraged. Was a great pint of Burrow Blonde from Black Sheep at Guiseley last Saturday.

I don't do anything social media other than post a handful of photos to X

Users who are viewing this thread