What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (11 Viewers)

Pretty cool for my son tonight.  Manager of his team is a friend with one of the players for Nashville FC (NPSL team here).  Team gets to walk out on the field with the players pre-match, then be the ball boys for the game.  Pictures and all that after.

Also news out this week that Nashville is set for a future USL team.

CGRdrJoe said:
Anyone in here live down in Orange County? I'm going to be down there this weekend and I'm trying to decide on where to watch the FA cup final at. Kilarney's in HB is currently what I'm thinking unless anyone knows of a better place.
I'm in Orange County but probably watching at home.  I would also suggest the Olde Ship in Santa Ana.  Havent been there but seems to be a place where supporters from several teams go.   I see a lot on Twitter from OC Supporter groups going there.  

2016/2017 early odds for EPL... pretty sure these are the most wide open in a long time:

Code:
City 32%
Arsenal 14%
Chelsea 14%
Tottenham 12%
United 11%
Liverpool 10%
Leicester 3%
Field 6%

Yes, drawing Spurs would be a bad draw for anyone. However, I don't think one can claim that Spurs are better than any of the Pot 1 teams except the Russian winner, nor are they a better team than half the Pot 2 teams.

Despite finishing second in the EPL this year, I'd rather face Spurs than City. Arsenal and Spurs are a toss up.

I can't think a young team that isn't used playing in champions league, plus faltered under pressure at the end of the season will do that well. Doubly so if they are English.  Guess that holds somewhat true for LC, but at least they didn't show the mental weakness that Spurs showed.

I'm not really trying to #### on Spurs either, just calling it as I see it.  I actually like Spurs (and LC).

But who knows? Maybe Spurs will keep all their players (and manager) and even add some quality veteran talent to bring depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
But who knows? Maybe Spurs will keep all their players (and manager) and even add some quality veteran talent to bring depth.
Spurs are keeping all essential players, and will be upgrading team depth.  Pochettino just signed a new contract, he is not going anywhere. 

Right now, I would make Spurs 2nd favorites in EPL next season, though the real odds makers see it a little differently. Spurs won't spend as much money as the other clubs - only club to make a profit in the transfer window this season - but they will have the advantage of fewer changes/more continuity to the starting XI. 

@DeludedBrendan: Celtic have a very exciting team.

I saw many of Leigh Griffiths goals last season he's world class. 

My very own Scottish Suarez.

Glad he's back :lmao:

Nice injury time winner by Philly tonight.  They are now in first with a game in hand on the second place team.

I love the fact that after years of being the butt of GK jokes (of which were deserved) they may have the best GK in the entire league (at least until Hamid gets healthy again).

German Pokal final tomorrow in Berlin. Bayern v Dortmund. 

Of course, if you want to watch, you'll need ESPN Deportes. 

Evidently these small never heard of clubs don't rate anything else. 

Nice injury time winner by Philly tonight.  They are now in first with a game in hand on the second place team.

I love the fact that after years of being the butt of GK jokes (of which were deserved) they may have the best GK in the entire league (at least until Hamid gets healthy again).
I wouldn't take anyone over Blake in MLS including Hamid.  It's going to hurt when he leaves for Europe, hopefully we get a few years before that happens

Last edited by a moderator:
JOSE MOURINHO AGREES TO DEAL WITH MAN UTD

Sources close to the deal have told ESPN FC it is expected to be officially confirmed early next week. There remain a few issues to negotiate with Louis Van Gaal's contract, but ESPN FC has been informed he became aware of the situation Wednesday

Full roster:

U.S. Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): 1-Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), 12-Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), 22-Ethan Horvath (Molde IK)

DEFENDERS (8): 5-Matt Besler (Sporting KC), 3-Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), 6-John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), 20-Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), 21-Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), 23-Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), 14-Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), 2-DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS/FORWARDS (12): 15-Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), 11-Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), 4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), 8-Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), 13-Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), 16-Perry Kitchen (Heart of Midlothian), 10-Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), 17-Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), 18-Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), 7-Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV), 20-Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), 19-Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)

@jon_townsend3: Sweet! Everyone rejoice. Man United will now keep LVG! #FreePointsForAllNextYear

JOSE MOURINHO AGREES TO DEAL WITH MAN UTD

Sources close to the deal have told ESPN FC it is expected to be officially confirmed early next week. There remain a few issues to negotiate with Louis Van Gaal's contract, but ESPN FC has been informed he became aware of the situation Wednesday

:coffee:  

After 120 scoreless minutes the DFB Pokal was decided 4-3 on penalties and Bayern won the trophy for the 18th time.

Dortmund finished 2nd for the third year in a row.

This was Pep's last game with Bayern.  His final record, in all competitions: 121-21-19
BL 82-11-9
DFB Pokal 14-3-0
Champions League 23-5-8
other Cups 2-2-2

In his three years Bayern won the Bundesliga three years in a row (first time that has been done), won the DFB Pokal twice, won the UEFA Super Cup and won the FIFA Club World Cup.
They lost out of the Champions League in the semi finals all three seasons, lost out of the DFB Pokal in the semi finals once, and finished runners up in the DFB Super Cup all three years.

Damn it!   Real Zaragoza lose 1-0; a critical match to a close competitor on the Segunda Division table...they're in the thick of the La Liga promotion play-off race...but just 2 weeks ago they were in prime position to secure one of the two automatic promotion spots.  Would love to see them back in La Liga, but I fear last year was a better chance.  They had Borja Baston (Atleti striker on loan), & he's excelled for Eibar this year.  If they don't achieve promotion this year, I fear it might be a while, & we all know La Liga needs Zaragoza, more than Zaragoza needs La Liga... :thumbup:

It's too bad Hummels was subbed off, would've been fun to see him take a penalty against Bayern in the cup final.

Congrats to Bayern.
That seems to have been something talked about prior to the match.  The announcer, Phil  Bonney, mentioned it several times.  He talked about how it could be a problem for him, from the aspect of what people on each side would say if he made or missed a PK.

On a side note, I googled Phil Bonney to make user I spelled his name correctly.  I came across this interview with him from 2015.  In it there is a picture of his cheat sheet he uses during matches and a bit of explanation on it.  I found it pretty interesting.  Scroll down until you see the sheet, then the paragraphs after.
Bundesliga Fanatic interview with Phil Bonney

The 7-0 destruction Red Bull put on NYCFC yesterday on the postage stamp tied the record for largest margin of victory in MLS history (21 seasons now).

Users who are viewing this thread