What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (10 Viewers)

Nobody is better at looking aggrieved than the Italians in Serie A. A call against them, no matter how obvious, results in an apparent wounding of their very souls.

Wasn't it a Serie A game where a defender was raising his arm for the offsides call after a score -- while he was standing inside the net?

What kind of dangerous game is Juvie playing with Pogba, though? Surely, surely, they have to sell him now, don't they?

Each league will vary how strict they are. It will make for some interesting calls/no-calls in Champions League.

Oh, I should not to the Liverpool and Man U fans that Champions League is a tournament for all the top teams in each European league to compete against each other in. You guys should check it out. 
:rant:  I'd have a comeback but I can't find the team supporters list to see if my comeback is any good.  :wall:

Plus you are right on Liverpool fans.

FYI, Spurs fan here...  looking forward to learning more about this Champions League thing.  I'm still polishing our 3rd place trophy...   :P

Nobody is better at looking aggrieved than the Italians in Serie A. A call against them, no matter how obvious, results in an apparent wounding of their very souls.

Wasn't it a Serie A game where a defender was raising his arm for the offsides call after a score -- while he was standing inside the net?

What kind of dangerous game is Juvie playing with Pogba, though? Surely, surely, they have to sell him now, don't they?
I agree about the eyetalians... really love the rocking back and forth hands together praying thing they do when they disagree with the call.

rules thing though... and I'll wait for some of the refs to chime in... but in my yut, I got a goal disallowed through offsides by trying to come OUT of the net just as my team-mate's shot was going in. was told that if I had stayed inside the goal, I would have been out of the field of play and the goal would have counted. (this was the 80s, so pretty much rule-less times back then).

I agree about the eyetalians... really love the rocking back and forth hands together praying thing they do when they disagree with the call.

rules thing though... and I'll wait for some of the refs to chime in... but in my yut, I got a goal disallowed through offsides by trying to come OUT of the net just as my team-mate's shot was going in. was told that if I had stayed inside the goal, I would have been out of the field of play and the goal would have counted. (this was the 80s, so pretty much rule-less times back then).
If you were interfering with the goal then this is correct as I understood from my youth.  Even when I coached (mid 90s) I would teach players to stay off the endline if they made a cross or were in position to be so that any shots or rebounds would not get called back for offside.  

If you were interfering with the goal then this is correct as I understood from my youth.  Even when I coached (mid 90s) I would teach players to stay off the endline if they made a cross or were in position to be so that any shots or rebounds would not get called back for offside.  
no idea... the whole thing was so bang-bang... went for the ball, ended up in the goal, turned around to get out of the goal just as my teammate is drilling his shot through. I very well may have been interfering with the gk- don't recall that. I do recall having to hit the deck because the ball would've drilled me in the face if not.

Yeah...pretty sure it was Floppo, & that's why he feels so aggrieved by Italians...

eta: see above post

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

well, my comeback could of been half funny then....

Can someone repost the supporters list?  Might be a good time to add some of the newbies and see if anyone changed allegiances as the new European season starts.
Your "comeback" could be "full' funny, when you find out he's Bolivian too...

no idea... the whole thing was so bang-bang... went for the ball, ended up in the goal, turned around to get out of the goal just as my teammate is drilling his shot through. I very well may have been interfering with the gk- don't recall that. I do recall having to hit the deck because the ball would've drilled me in the face if not.
yeah if the ball was at you probably would be called for offside if back in the field of play.  

but who knows with refs.  My earliest memory is of getting hit in the chest by the ball in my own box and the ref behind me calling handball for a PK.... in the finals of the county cup giving them the win (they made the PK).  Started my deep lying hatred of referees.

yeah if the ball was at you probably would be called for offside if back in the field of play.  

but who knows with refs.  My earliest memory is of getting hit in the chest by the ball in my own box and the ref behind me calling handball for a PK.... in the finals of the county cup giving them the win (they made the PK).  Started my deep lying hatred of referees.
This all being true, then how'd you become a ManU fan?

This all being true, then how'd you become a ManU fan?
:whoosh:

(all joking aside) if you are really asking... I was playing in the Dana Cup (Denmark) and Norway Cup (Norway) in 92 and they were on tour there.  After being bored watching Arsenal vs Leeds we went to Lillistrom vs United the next day and between the crowd and how United played I became a fan. Giggs megged a guy from 10 yards away.  Just amazing to watch.  Been a fan ever since.

:lmao:

well, my comeback could of been half funny then....

Can someone repost the supporters list?  Might be a good time to add some of the newbies and see if anyone changed allegiances as the new European season starts.
n00b here that still can't decide on any of the Euros after 2 years of watching.  

I think Pulisic by default has made me into a Dortmund fan (I friggin' love that kid), but outside of that it all feels like a bunch of bandwagon jumping... I just love watching good soccer. :shrug:  

My 2 boys chose pretty quickly - 7yr old loves Chelsea for some reason (especially Diego Costa); 9yr old roots for Arsenal but isn't as passionate.  Willian might be my favorite non-Messi international player, but I just can't choose Chelsea.  They both like Barca, but that's so trendy.

Maybe I'll go Man City just to piss off my 7yr old (he idolizes Aguero).  I dunno, its all so overwhelming :cry:  

I can't believe I'm openly going to admit I'm a fan of a Philly team, but the Union had won me over just in time to watch them get embarrassed by Drogba. :bag:  

n00b here that still can't decide on any of the Euros after 2 years of watching.  

I think Pulisic by default has made me into a Dortmund fan (I friggin' love that kid), but outside of that it all feels like a bunch of bandwagon jumping... I just love watching good soccer. :shrug:  

My 2 boys chose pretty quickly - 7yr old loves Chelsea for some reason (especially Diego Costa); 9yr old roots for Arsenal but isn't as passionate.  Willian might be my favorite non-Messi international player, but I just can't choose Chelsea.  They both like Barca, but that's so trendy.

Maybe I'll go Man City just to piss off my 7yr old (he idolizes Aguero).  I dunno, its all so overwhelming :cry:  

I can't believe I'm openly going to admit I'm a fan of a Philly team, but the Union had won me over just in time to watch them get embarrassed by Drogba. :bag:  
I'd be weary of your 7 year old being a costa fan.  When he starts kicking small animals you should have seen it coming....

Dortmund is a good choice.  They could seriously challenge BM this year.

Yeah, I'm a lower case "f" Arsenal fan.  Unless you have a personal experience like B Maverick I just don't understand how you can go from "help me pick my EPL team" to "justice for the 96!" in a year.  I can't bring myself to hate Arsenal's rivals.  If Tottenham plays Arsenal off the pitch, I'll consider it an entertaining game.  At least one team played the good stuff. 

I'm probably a much bigger fan of individual players than any one team.  I'm too old to care enough to be a fan beyond making Gator/Liverpool jokes for the hell of it. 

:whoosh:

(all joking aside) if you are really asking... I was playing in the Dana Cup (Denmark) and Norway Cup (Norway) in 92 and they were on tour there.  After being bored watching Arsenal vs Leeds we went to Lillistrom vs United the next day and between the crowd and how United played I became a fan. Giggs megged a guy from 10 yards away.  Just amazing to watch.  Been a fan ever since.
JK, GB...if you hate refs, how could you like ManU?

Yeah, I'm a lower case "f" Arsenal fan.  Unless you have a personal experience like B Maverick I just don't understand how you can go from "help me pick my EPL team" to "justice for the 96!" in a year.  I can't bring myself to hate Arsenal's rivals.  If Tottenham plays Arsenal off the pitch, I'll consider it an entertaining game.  At least one team played the good stuff. 

I'm probably a much bigger fan of individual players than any one team.  I'm too old to care enough to be a fan beyond making Gator/Liverpool jokes for the hell of it. 
:goodposting:  

And you cant go wrong with Gator/Liverpool jokes.  I know some people that will be at the Chelsea Liverpool game in LA tonight.  We were all making Liverpool jokes....

It's been said a million times in here already but you should really let the club pick you. Watch a lot of it and you'll naturally find a club that you'll gravitate to. You might even be captivated by fat drunks singing "You'll neeee-verrrrrrrrrr walk alone."

One of my best friends is a Liverpool guy.  His brother is a Chelsea guy.  His son likes Man U.  But his daughter has been a West Ham supporter since she was 10.  She's awesome. 

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" >>>>> "You'll Never Walk Alone"

One of my best friends is a Liverpool guy.  His brother is a Chelsea guy.  His son likes Man U.  But his daughter has been a West Ham supporter since she was 10.  She's awesome. 

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" >>>>> "You'll Never Walk Alone"
That is awesome.  And true

My BIL is an Arsenal Fan

And actually I have a couple buddies in an on going text thread, one is Arsenal one is Liverpool

Unless you have a personal experience like B Maverick I just don't understand how you can go from "help me pick my EPL team" to "justice for the 96!" in a year. 

I'm probably a much bigger fan of individual players than any one team.  
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.  I have my doubts that I'll ever become a big time fan of an overseas team.

Hey actual soccer players... does the ref ever pull the captains aside and remind tell them how they intend to enforce stuff like this so everyone's on exactly the same page?

i.e. ... "Time wasting after a foul by kicking the ball away or impeding the restart will be a yellow.  I'll let you have your say after a foul, but if you swear or make a big scene it's a yellow.  Etc?"

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.  I have my doubts that I'll ever become a big time fan of an overseas team.
Once you follow one for awhile it's easy to wrap yourself in the history/identity.  Players move so much it's hard not to pick a team.

I picked Tottenham because that was my wife's team when she lived in England (even though she really wasn't a huge soccer fan).  This was two years prior to their Champions League run.  After watching that season with Bale and Modric I was pretty galvanized.

Hey actual soccer players... does the ref ever pull the captains aside and remind tell them how they intend to enforce stuff like this so everyone's on exactly the same play?

i.e. ... "Time wasting after a foul by kicking the ball away or impeding the restart will be a yellow.  I'll let you have your say after a foul, but if you swear or make a big scene it's a yellow.  Etc?"
in Sunday league that is supposed to be done at the coin toss... if they do it at all.  But for us, no not really, but the refs arent all that on top of things.  Had one tell me if this was regular season and not summer league he would have booked that player.  Like time of year makes a difference?  A game is a game.

Well, I meant at higher levels -- college, pros, etc.

I was thinking I'd do that before every game.  Really think that if the players knew exactly what they can and can't get away with they'd adapt.

Well, I meant at higher levels -- college, pros, etc.

I was thinking I'd do that before every game.  Really think that if the players knew exactly what they can and can't get away with they'd adapt.
In college they would call captains over periodically for various things.  Some are better before the game.  Some are better after the first time it happens.

Hey actual soccer players... does the ref ever pull the captains aside and remind tell them how they intend to enforce stuff like this so everyone's on exactly the same page?

used to be that if things were clearly getting heated up, the ref would call the captains over and give a cool it off speech.

but those kind of tings you mentioned... usually at the coin flip. 

I had a guy at a tournament in Denmark come over to me as the captain to tell me- while we were warming up- that he had heard that my team was rough and he wasn't going to abide any monkey-business. me... :confused:  ... how about you just call the game- and if you think we're too rough, make the call. meanwhile, the other team spent 90 minutes kicking the #### out of us off the ball. 

I had a guy at a tournament in Denmark come over to me as the captain to tell me- while we were warming up- that he had heard that my team was rough and he wasn't going to abide any monkey-business. me... :confused:  ... how about you just call the game- and if you think we're too rough, make the call. meanwhile, the other team spent 90 minutes kicking the #### out of us off the ball. 
sorry about that!

When were you there?

sorry about that!

When were you there?
pretty sure we had this talk, because I remember you played in it too... dana cup- summer 1984

eta: when were you there? and I think there were 2 different locations... we were in hjorring or something like that. big tourney.

pretty sure we had this talk, because I remember you played in it too... dana cup- summer 1984

eta: when were you there? and I think there were 2 different locations... we were in hjorring or something like that. big tourney.
sounds familiar.  Dana Cup 1992 (right after Denmark's improbable Euro Cup victory).  We too were in Hjorring

Such an awesome experience.

no worries.  Played through college and on and off since (off for knee injuries and general bad fitness). 
awesome you're still playing.

I pretty much stopped the post-college semi-pro when I went to grad-school in my mid 20s. played in a couple of urban "professional" small-sided leagues after that.. way too much aggression and way too little know-how for my liking (and way too many fights over nothing), so I bagged it. played a bit of pick-up in the hood before my oldest was born- which was awesome... same group of guys twice a week, with a wide range of talent; guys you could play with and feel good/proud about beating to guys you'd feel good about beating because you could any time you wanted. but there'd be just enough stranger-danger... especially the rastas... who would come into every tackle like their reputation depended on it. its been an unwritten rule in any pickup game I like that there's no slide tackling... but blood-cloths don't play like that. got my knee taken out once after my kid was born and that was pretty much that- didn't want to not be able to pick junior up because bob marley felt offended that I megged him.

but been jonesing to play again- and I know that most of that regular group is still out there... run into one of the main guys occassionally, always trying to lure me back over there.

awesome you're still playing.

I pretty much stopped the post-college semi-pro when I went to grad-school in my mid 20s. played in a couple of urban "professional" small-sided leagues after that.. way too much aggression and way too little know-how for my liking (and way too many fights over nothing), so I bagged it. played a bit of pick-up in the hood before my oldest was born- which was awesome... same group of guys twice a week, with a wide range of talent; guys you could play with and feel good/proud about beating to guys you'd feel good about beating because you could any time you wanted. but there'd be just enough stranger-danger... especially the rastas... who would come into every tackle like their reputation depended on it. its been an unwritten rule in any pickup game I like that there's no slide tackling... but blood-cloths don't play like that. got my knee taken out once after my kid was born and that was pretty much that- didn't want to not be able to pick junior up because bob marley felt offended that I megged him.

but been jonesing to play again- and I know that most of that regular group is still out there... run into one of the main guys occassionally, always trying to lure me back over there.
Yeah I actively try to avoid contact these days.  The team went over 35 (well its really over 30 but they call it 35) so I dont have to chase the 25 year old 100 mile an hour run all day wannabe wc stars.  There are still those guys that you know are playing for the trophy instead of the game like they are going to be on sportscenter or something.  Makes it more enjoyable playing with the older dudes.  

Tried the futsol recently and had a great time but the hard floor makes the body hurt a few extra days.  Back to playing some o35 indoor 5 v 5.  Turf is soft enough so its not so bad. The wife says i'm not a happy guy if I am not playing once in awhile so she is happy for me to play..  And so am I. 

Users who are viewing this thread