What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2012 Thread (4 Viewers)

Rashard Mendenhall 2012 Salary: $2.1 MIL

Roster Spots Taken: 1

Clay/Dwyer/Batch 2012 Combined Salary: ~$1.5 MIL

Roster Spots Taken: 3

Is it worth $600K to get rid of a proven starter in Mendenhall for 3 unproven "back up" RB's eat up a 2 additional roster spots?

:no:
But they aren't eating up additional spots, they're already on the team.Not a big deal. I don't "hate" Mendenhall, I just don't think he's anything special. If the hole is there he'll hit it and get the yards he should get. He's got the burst to get to the next level. But I don't think he runs hard enough and I don't think he has very good vision. I'd rather see the Steelers give someone else a shot. :shrug:

Is it worth $600K to get rid of a proven starter in Mendenhall for 3 unproven "back up" RB's eat up a 2 additional roster spots?

But they aren't eating up additional spots, they're already on the team.Not a big deal. I don't "hate" Mendenhall, I just don't think he's anything special. If the hole is there he'll hit it and get the yards he should get. He's got the burst to get to the next level. But I don't think he runs hard enough and I don't think he has very good vision. I'd rather see the Steelers give someone else a shot. :shrug:
I respect your opinon, but I disagree that he's just an average RB. I think he's still the best RB on the team, and 2nd best RB in our division. Signed for a below-market price of $2.1 mil next year, I dont think that he's a good "cut" candidate.

I agree with Godsbrother in the thinking that the Steelers will let him AND his antics walk after the 2012 season though

Last edited by a moderator:

I respect your opinon, but I disagree that he's just an average RB. I think he's still the best RB on the team, and 2nd best RB in our division. Signed for a below-market price of $2.1 mil next year, I dont think that he's a good "cut" candidate.

I agree with Godsbrother in the thinking that the Steelers will let him AND his antics walk after the 2012 season though
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I doubt that they'll cut him, but I don't think he's shown enough for the Steelers to give him a big contract. Unfortunately he probably won't even be 100% next year, so they aren't likely to get everything out of that last $2.1 million.

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I doubt that they'll cut him, but I don't think he's shown enough for the Steelers to give him a big contract. Unfortunately he probably won't even be 100% next year, so they aren't likely to get everything out of that last $2.1 million.
Wouldnt be a bad thing to have both of them so you dont have a drop off if the other needs a breather too :thumbup:

Moving on, does anyone know the extent of the injuries to Starks/Hampton/Keisel?

Is surgery the only option(s) for them?

Also I heard that Pouncey may require surgery on his ankle.

Absolutely agree with you guys that Mendenhall is not a cut option. I think he is quite likely to get more money elsewhere once his contract is done, and is physically a top 10 back and some team will be enamored with him on the open market, but the vision, creativity and fearless effort you see out of top 10 backs is not there. He is probably the best RB on our roster and not worth the minimal savings we could recoup by cutting him. He is more valuable on our roster than off of it, but a 2nd/3rd round guy (and maybe as late as 4th round) in 2013 would be my bet to be the future starter in Pittsburgh.As for Harrison, I'm about fed up with him but he still has some value as a pass rusher. Not nearly as effective as age and injuries are stacking up against him, but if we only save 4 of his $8M cap number by cutting him, I'd rather keep him for another year at a (net) $4M cost. I also think Timmons would be an excellent ROLB for us and better as an outside pass rusher than he is at ILB. I'm thinking we see at least one ILB drafted in the top 3 rounds and possibly two and if they pan out I'd love to see Timmons moved outside next year.

Absolutely agree with you guys that Mendenhall is not a cut option. I think he is quite likely to get more money elsewhere once his contract is done, and is physically a top 10 back and some team will be enamored with him on the open market, but the vision, creativity and fearless effort you see out of top 10 backs is not there. He is probably the best RB on our roster and not worth the minimal savings we could recoup by cutting him. He is more valuable on our roster than off of it, but a 2nd/3rd round guy (and maybe as late as 4th round) in 2013 would be my bet to be the future starter in Pittsburgh.As for Harrison, I'm about fed up with him but he still has some value as a pass rusher. Not nearly as effective as age and injuries are stacking up against him, but if we only save 4 of his $8M cap number by cutting him, I'd rather keep him for another year at a (net) $4M cost. I also think Timmons would be an excellent ROLB for us and better as an outside pass rusher than he is at ILB. I'm thinking we see at least one ILB drafted in the top 3 rounds and possibly two and if they pan out I'd love to see Timmons moved outside next year.
I thought Timmons was more effective at ILB but I agree they need to sink some picks at ILB this year.Sylvester should warrant more PT next year.

Yeah, lets keep drafting good pass blocking OL, that way once they are ready to play, Ben will have retired and we'll have a rookie QB in there that can't throw anyways.They need OL that can play NOW.
Pouncey - Pro Bowl year 1Gilbert - starter year 1Glenn, DeCastro, and a couple of others can play now as well. I'd rather spend higher draft picks on OL and let them learn on the job than spend big bucks on other team's cast-offs. I mean, filling one spot with a guy that fits the offense (a la Hartings) is fine, but I don't agree with looking elsewhere in the draft and trying to sign multiple veteran o-linemen.

Yeah, lets keep drafting good pass blocking OL, that way once they are ready to play, Ben will have retired and we'll have a rookie QB in there that can't throw anyways.They need OL that can play NOW.
Pouncey - Pro Bowl year 1Gilbert - starter year 1Glenn, DeCastro, and a couple of others can play now as well. I'd rather spend higher draft picks on OL and let them learn on the job than spend big bucks on other team's cast-offs. I mean, filling one spot with a guy that fits the offense (a la Hartings) is fine, but I don't agree with looking elsewhere in the draft and trying to sign multiple veteran o-linemen.
:goodposting:

I'd be fine with them cutting Starks, Kemo, and Essex and using that money to sign a veteran LT. Draft Cordy Glenn and roll him out on the left with Pouncey, Legursky/Foster, and Gilbert to his right. That's a line that can be more than serviceable right away with the potential to be much more than that if you get the right guy at LT and Gilbert continues to develop.

I'd be fine with them cutting Starks, Kemo, and Essex and using that money to sign a veteran LT. Draft Cordy Glenn and roll him out on the left with Pouncey, Legursky/Foster, and Gilbert to his right. That's a line that can be more than serviceable right away with the potential to be much more than that if you get the right guy at LT and Gilbert continues to develop.
What about Colon ;)

This is basically what they've been doing for the past how many years though? Only substitute a few names. Draft 2 or 3, one pans out somewhat. Grab a FA, he fills in admirably, rinse repeat.Ben will have a very short career.

'Copeman said:
This is basically what they've been doing for the past how many years though? Only substitute a few names. Draft 2 or 3, one pans out somewhat. Grab a FA, he fills in admirably, rinse repeat.Ben will have a very short career.
The difference is that the two guys I named above were top 60 picks, most of the ones that didn't pan out were 3rd-6th round choices. It's not that surprising that many of them didn't get the job done. They actually did still get some mileage out of guys like Colon, Starks, Kemo, Legursky, Foster, etc... none of whom was taken before the 3rd round, and a few taken off the scrap heap. Considering that 4 of our top 6 o-lineman in this past Sunday's game were among that group, it stands to reason that investing some more high draft picks in the line is a lot more likely to produce more high-quality performers.

'The Hank said:
What about Colon ;)
I feel bad for Willie... some guys never get a chance to see exactly what they could have been.

'Copeman said:
The difference is that the two guys I named above were top 60 picks, most of the ones that didn't pan out were 3rd-6th round choices. It's not that surprising that many of them didn't get the job done. They actually did still get some mileage out of guys like Colon, Starks, Kemo, Legursky, Foster, etc... none of whom was taken before the 3rd round, and a few taken off the scrap heap. Considering that 4 of our top 6 o-lineman in this past Sunday's game were among that group, it stands to reason that investing some more high draft picks in the line is a lot more likely to produce more high-quality performers.
Steelers 2011 OL (How Acquired, Rd Drafted)T Max Starks (2004 Draft [FLORIDA], 3rd RD)T Jonathon Scott (2010 FA [TEXAS], 5th RD via DET {2006})T Marcus Gilbert (2011 Draft [FLORIDA], 2nd RD)T Willie Colon (2006 Draft [HOFSTRA], 4th RD)C Maurkice Pouncey (2010 Draft [FLORIDA], 1st RD)G/C Doug Legursky (2007 UDFA [MARSHALL])G Chris Kemoeatu (2005 Draft [uTAH], 6th RD)G/T Jamon Meredith (2011 FA [sOUTH CAROLINA], 5th RD via GB {2009})G Ramon Foster (2009 UDFA [TENNESSEE])G/T/C Trai Essex (2005 Draft [NORTHWESTERN], 3rd RD)Players Drafted by Round1st RD: 12nd RD: 13rd RD: 24th RD: 15th RD: 26th RD: 17th RD: 0UDFA: 2Only 2 players acquired by FA (not including Trai Essex and Max Starks this year)

'Copeman said:
Steelers 2011 OL (How Acquired, Rd Drafted)T Max Starks (2004 Draft [FLORIDA], 3rd RD)T Jonathon Scott (2010 FA [TEXAS], 5th RD via DET {2006})T Marcus Gilbert (2011 Draft [FLORIDA], 2nd RD)T Willie Colon (2006 Draft [HOFSTRA], 4th RD)C Maurkice Pouncey (2010 Draft [FLORIDA], 1st RD)G/C Doug Legursky (2007 UDFA [MARSHALL])G Chris Kemoeatu (2005 Draft [uTAH], 6th RD)G/T Jamon Meredith (2011 FA [sOUTH CAROLINA], 5th RD via GB {2009})G Ramon Foster (2009 UDFA [TENNESSEE])G/T/C Trai Essex (2005 Draft [NORTHWESTERN], 3rd RD)Players Drafted by Round1st RD: 12nd RD: 13rd RD: 24th RD: 15th RD: 26th RD: 17th RD: 0UDFA: 2Only 2 players acquired by FA (not including Trai Essex and Max Starks this year)
So using this info, if we dont sign/draft anyone this is our anticipated starting OL (Starks/Essex are FA's).LT: Marcus GilbertLG: Doug LegurskyC: Maurkice PounceyRG: Ramon FosterRT: Willie Colon....Yeah.. you can mix around who you want at the T positions (or if you want Kemoeatu at guard) but we better be drafting some OL up in here!

T Max Starks (2004 Draft [FLORIDA], 3rd RD)T Marcus Gilbert (2011 Draft [FLORIDA], 2nd RD)C Maurkice Pouncey (2010 Draft [FLORIDA], 1st RD)
So what Florida Olineman are we drafting his year, hopefully?
:shrug: I defer all questions Re: Draft Prospects to EG72 until after the combine, when I'm better informed
It might be Florida State this year, there are two guys in play in the 1st/2nd...
Is there a road hog like Casey Hampton in this year's draft that will be there around the Steelers pick?I know there's been mention of Dontari Poe but I'm not well versed quite yet in the talent pool of this years draft by position so far

T Max Starks (2004 Draft [FLORIDA], 3rd RD)T Marcus Gilbert (2011 Draft [FLORIDA], 2nd RD)C Maurkice Pouncey (2010 Draft [FLORIDA], 1st RD)
:shrug: I defer all questions Re: Draft Prospects to EG72 until after the combine, when I'm better informed
It might be Florida State this year, there are two guys in play in the 1st/2nd...
Is there a road hog like Casey Hampton in this year's draft that will be there around the Steelers pick?I know there's been mention of Dontari Poe but I'm not well versed quite yet in the talent pool of this years draft by position so far
The top 3 NT prospects are Jerel Worthy from MSU, who's more of a 4-3 DT type, but is a space-eater who I believe could be an effective NT if taken in that direction, Poe, who is a giant at 6'5" 350, and Alameda Ta'amu, who's got prototypical size at 6'3" 337 with quick feet (think a poor man's Ngata, just how poor is the subject of debate) who has top-10 talent, but has been sliding of late after playing injured all year. All 3 could be on the board when the Steelers pick - Worthy is the highest rated prospect and could be coveted by a 3-4 or 4-3 team, so he's the most likely to be gone. Poe is a pretty safe bet to be there unless another 3-4 team picking ahead of the Steelers is enamored of him and snaps him up, remember, it only takes one team to love a guy (see Tebow, Tim.) Ta'amu at this point is a mortal lock to be there, but could be a major reach in the first based on the tape. I've seen him dominate at times when healthy and his #s at the combine are likely to boost his stock to the point where he's almost surely be there at #24, but will be unlikely to be available at #56 unless teams are really disenchanted with what they see from his game film.

There's also some chatter that Ta'amu doesn't anchor as well as he should for a guy his size and is a little "top-heavy." If the Steelers feel that way, they won't touch him, and he'll likely end up going to a 4-3 team that can play him inside and have him wreak havoc as a backfield disruptor.

The top 3 NT prospects are Jerel Worthy from MSU, who's more of a 4-3 DT type, but is a space-eater who I believe could be an effective NT if taken in that direction, Poe, who is a giant at 6'5" 350, and Alameda Ta'amu, who's got prototypical size at 6'3" 337 with quick feet (think a poor man's Ngata, just how poor is the subject of debate) who has top-10 talent, but has been sliding of late after playing injured all year. All 3 could be on the board when the Steelers pick - Worthy is the highest rated prospect and could be coveted by a 3-4 or 4-3 team, so he's the most likely to be gone. Poe is a pretty safe bet to be there unless another 3-4 team picking ahead of the Steelers is enamored of him and snaps him up, remember, it only takes one team to love a guy (see Tebow, Tim.) Ta'amu at this point is a mortal lock to be there, but could be a major reach in the first based on the tape. I've seen him dominate at times when healthy and his #s at the combine are likely to boost his stock to the point where he's almost surely be there at #24, but will be unlikely to be available at #56 unless teams are really disenchanted with what they see from his game film.
:thumbup: Good stuff EG

I'm with Hank on keeping Timmons inside. He didn't impress me at all on the outside, maybe due to lack of experience there. Love to pair Timmons inside with this kid at pick #24:

Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly continues to record tackles in bunches

By Mel Kiper Jr.

ESPN Insider

Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College Eagles

The 6-foot-2½, 237-pound junior is the definition of a tackling machine. As a freshman, he started all but one game for the Eagles and went on to finish second in the country with 158 tackles. That effort earned him ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year honors. Switched from outside to middle linebacker as a sophomore, Kuechly led the country in tackles while setting a single-season school record with 183.

Through 10 games this season, he is tops on the team in tackles (168), tackles for loss (10) and interceptions (two); Kuechly has a mere 103 more tackles than any other BC player. In Boston College's 14-10 win against the North Carolina State Wolfpack, he led the way with 18 tackles (1.5 of those for loss). The thing I liked most was how well he broke down in space in the short-intermediate passing game and made stops. In terms of his pro potential, Kuechly isn't the physical specimen that some of the other highly rated juniors are at the position, but his read/react ability is as good as it gets. His production is off the charts. He's a very well-rounded player and has a great passion for the game.
Just how good is the BC standout?

Wes Bunting

January 10, 2012

Breaking down the game and assigning a grade to Boston College ILB Luke Kuechly …

ILB Luke Kuechly: Boston College (6-3, 237)

A solidly built athlete, but is a little narrow through the waist and doesn’t have a ton of girth through his lower half. Doesn’t look real muscular through the upper half as well. Regardless, the guy is just a football player. Is one of the best pure tacklers in the country and does a great job breaking down inside, lowering his pad level into contact and wrapping consistently. Showcases “plus” instincts inside vs. the run game. Keys quickly, is consistently getting early jumps on the football and showcases a little burst when attacking downhill. Does a great job extending his arms into contact when asked to avoid blocks and knows how to fend off blockers trying to get into his frame. Uses his inside hand well to keep blockers at bay once he side steps contact. Isn’t overly shifty, but consistently is able to beat a blocker to a spot because of instincts, gain leverage and keep himself clean. Showcases the power to take on blocks in the hole as well. But, isn’t overly long and opposing lineman will simply wrap him up and engulf on contact. Showcases a willingness to try to shed, however, is only average in this area.

Takes excellent angles in pursuit. Showcases the ability to instantly key on the run and reaches top end speed quickly. Doesn’t have a great first step and straight-line speed is only average. However, plays faster because he routinely gets early jumps on the football, understands angles and has a little burst when he’s finishing on the ball carrier. Wraps well in space, brings his legs through contact and knows how to get his man to the ground. Isn’t the most powerful kid on contact and isn’t going to force a ton of fumbles on contact. Is an above-average open field tackler as well. Lacks a little range, but shoots well into contact, takes good angles and routinely gets bigger/faster ball carriers to the ground, even if they gain a step.

Possesses a good feel in zone coverage. Keys well, feels routes developing around him and stays low and balanced in his drop, allowing him to quickly change directions. Demonstrates the ability to re-direct and get out of his breaks laterally. However, doesn’t generate much of a burst or first step. Is clean to change directions, but there is no initial burst that allows him to routinely make plays on the throw, as he forced to often just play the man. Gets average depth when asked to turn and run down the field with tight ends. But, lacks great straight-line speed (looks like a 4.8 guy) and the further down the field he’s asked to run the more separation he gives up. Nevertheless, displays good ball skills and is smart enough to key quickly in the pass game and mature into an average option in zone as an ILB.

Impression: He’s not the biggest, strongest or fastest of athletes. But he’s instinctive, plays faster than he times, finds the football in all areas of the game and can really tackle. He’s going to be a bit limited in coverage, but he’s instinctive enough to play on third down in zone and should end up being one of the NFL’s top tackling linebackers for years to come.

Grade: 7.0 J

7.0 Becomes a starter during his rookie year… Becomes a solid NFL player who has no real weakness… Can’t be exploited or consistently taken out of games.

J This prospect is an underclassman and has decided to enter the draft early.

Q&A with Post-Gazette/Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette

Tuesday January 10, 2012

1:41 Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon. Sorry about the little delay. Interviews happening at Steelers and one lasted a little long. Fire away.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:41 Ed Bouchette

1:42 [Comment From joe joe : ]

did we see hampton and farrior for the last time?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:42 joe

1:43 Ed Bouchette: Hard to tell. I think Hampton will be back, but maybe not at $8 million. Not sure on Farrior.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:43 Ed Bouchette

1:44 [Comment From SteeMike58 SteeMike58 : ]

Where was the pressure on Tebow on Sunday night? I thought it was a staple for the Steelers to pressure inexperienced QB's, like Tebow....

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:44 SteeMike58

1:45 Ed Bouchette: They seemed to hold back, so as not to force him to run out of the pocket. Seemed like a good strategy until he started hitting all those bombs in the second quarter.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:45 Ed Bouchette

1:46 [Comment From IndySteeler IndySteeler : ]

I know Coach T said no coordinator changes are expected. Do you expexct that to hold true? I'd like to see both BA and Labeau stay? your Thoughts?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:46 IndySteeler

1:46 Ed Bouchette: they won't leave because Mike wants them to leave, he made that clear. The only way I could see Bruce Arians leave is as a head coach elsewhere. I think **** LeBeau wants to coach here again in 2012.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:46 Ed Bouchette

1:47 [Comment From Tship Tship : ]

Ed thanks for another chat. After my emotions settled down the same question came back to me about this team that I have had all year, was this a good team? The record says yes but it seems somehow deceiving or was it just the injuires.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:47 Tship

1:47 Ed Bouchette: You can't go 12-4 if you are not a good team. Take your best players off a team for extended periods and it makes it tougher, no matter what the standard is.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:47 Ed Bouchette

1:47 [Comment From Steeltyke Steeltyke : ]

Ed, do you think that Hines and the Steelers will fall out this off-season? The steelers have to do what is best for the team but it would be a shame to see things end badly after 14 stellar years together.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:47 Steeltyke

1:48 Ed Bouchette: I think ownership would have to step in to have Ward come back, and it will be on their shoulders because he has in his contract that on March 1, they must either guarantee he'll be back or release him.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:48 Ed Bouchette

1:49 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]

With all of the offensive weapons this team has, isn't vital that the Steelers focus on the offensive line during the off-season?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:49 Guest

1:49 Ed Bouchette: I think so. However, you can't just say you are going to draft the best offensive lineman available because there may be a player at another position available who is much higher in quality.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:49 Ed Bouchette

1:50 [Comment From Dude_from_Cali Dude_from_Cali : ]

Ed: would Sushi have made a 62 yard FG in Denver's thin air? your opinion?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:50 Dude_from_Cali

1:51 Ed Bouchette: No. what's the record, 63? I think he could have tried from 55. Kickers told me before the game they believed high altitude added about 5 yards to kicks/punts

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:51 Ed Bouchette

1:51 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]

Hello Ed! Still trying to come out of the depression over the loss..the way we lost was heartbreaking. What has really been bothering me is why do you think Hines sat on the bench almost the whole game? Hines has done so much for the Steelers, why would they not have played him?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:51 Guest

1:52 Ed Bouchette: Because the coaches believe their other 4 receivers give them a better chance. Their opinion, not mine, because the way Mike Wallace played in the second half of the season and in that playoff game, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have started Emmanuel Sanders;.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:52 Ed Bouchette

1:52 [Comment From chicago_steeler_fan chicago_steeler_fan : ]

what should be the fans biggest takeaway from the season?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:52 chicago_steeler_fan

1:53 Ed Bouchette: Did you enjoy watching it? That's about all you can expect. You cannot bring the hardware home every year, even though there is a good portion of Steelers fans who don't believe that.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:53 Ed Bouchette

1:53 [Comment From JerseySteel JerseySteel : ]

Ed, how much does the injuries to Mendenall, Kiesel, Hampton, Starks affect the Steelers draft strategy?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:53 JerseySteel

1:54 Ed Bouchette: I don't think it will affect their strategy. They know they need another NT anyway, and they've drafted DE twice in the past three years on the first round. Maybe they look one year earlier for a RB. I'd draft a tackle high no matter the Starks question.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:54 Ed Bouchette

1:54 [Comment From JamesinNYC JamesinNYC : ]

Hello Ed, Thanks for having this chat. Tell me I am not crazy? I read a lot of praise for Tewbow, yes he won, but he stinks. 80% or more of the yardage was after the catch and it wasn't like the St. Lewis Rams where every pass was leading the receiver. The Steelers just blew it right?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:54 JamesinNYC

1:55 Ed Bouchette: Yes, the Steelers blew it because their strategy was to force Tebow to throw in order to beat them -- and he did.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:55 Ed Bouchette

1:56 [Comment From Hombre De Acero Hombre De Acero : ]

Mike Wallace's is a restricted free agent. Do you see the Steelers attempting to lock him down to a long term deal?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:56 Hombre De Acero

1:56 Ed Bouchette: I would think they would try, despite his disappointing performance in the second half of the season.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:56 Ed Bouchette

1:56 [Comment From chicago_steeler_fan chicago_steeler_fan : ]

was injuries/inexperience a reason for what seemed to be a dramatic decline in blitzing this year?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:56 chicago_steeler_fan

1:58 Ed Bouchette: A number of them told me they cut back on the blitzes because many of the QBs were taking shorter drops and quicker releases, so it was futile. I think a big part of it was the injuries to LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, who missed a combined 11 games. Woodley led the AFC with 9 sacks after 8 games, then had no more the rest of the way, when he played little.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:58 Ed Bouchette

1:58 [Comment From Steel Curtain Rising Steel Curtain Rising : ]

Which Steeler gave you the biggest positive surpirse, and which was the biggest disappointment of 2011?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 1:58 Steel Curtain Rising

2:02 Ed Bouchette: Antonio Brown had to be the biggest, leaping from No. 4 receiver to team MVP.

Biggest disappointment collectively had to be the lack of points on offense and the running game.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:02 Ed Bouchette

2:02 [Comment From JerseySteel JerseySteel : ]

Ed, your Kevin Colbert, what position do you select in the draft's 1st round?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:02 JerseySteel

2:04 Ed Bouchette: Again, I'm looking at quality and want to get the best quality. However, I'm not going to draft a QB or WR on the first round. I'd go for OT or G or NT or LB

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:04 Ed Bouchette

2:04 Ed Bouchette: Or CB

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:04 Ed Bouchette

2:04 [Comment From Hombre De Acero Hombre De Acero : ]

You and Gerry have been pretty clear that Arians almost left last year on his own accord. What's the inside scoop as the 2012 off season starts?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:04 Hombre De Acero

2:05 Ed Bouchette: Bruce Arians will be back, I believe, unless someone hires him as a head coach.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:05 Ed Bouchette

2:05 [Comment From Dude_from_Cali Dude_from_Cali : ]

Ed: don't shoot the messenger: it's all over the net. 316 passing yards ( John 3:16 ) ... passing average 31.6 yards ( John 3:16 ) John Elway called the plays ( John 3:16 )

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:05 Dude_from_Cali

2:05 Ed Bouchette: Bang! Bang!

2:05 [Comment From Steel Curtain Rising Steel Curtain Rising : ]

Ed were you able to make Tomlin's press conference yesterday or were you still in transit?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:05 Steel Curtain Rising

2:05 Ed Bouchette: My plane left at noon eastern from Denver, the same time the press conference started.

2:07 [Comment From Hombre De Acero Hombre De Acero : ]

Ed you've seen Tebowmaina from afar, now you've seen him up close. Do you think that Tebow was flashing greatness Sunday night or do you think he's just flashing through his 15 minutes of fame?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:07 Hombre De Acero

2:07 Ed Bouchette: I saw a QB Sunday who threw some quality passes and some really poor passes. If he can throw more of the good ones, obviously, he'll be OK. They won't be running that option attack for long, though.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:07 Ed Bouchette

2:08 [Comment From UpgraydAl UpgraydAl : ]

Any chance Cotchery is back next year, or will he try to catch on with another team as the #2 receiver?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:08 UpgraydAl

2:08 Ed Bouchette: I would think he'd persue the latter.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:08 Ed Bouchette

2:08 [Comment From JerseySteel JerseySteel : ]

Ed, any chance someone with a brain rips the bubble screen play out of the playbook and burns it so we never see it again?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:08 JerseySteel

2:08 Ed Bouchette: I hate that play.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:08 Ed Bouchette

2:09 [Comment From Chooch Chooch : ]

Please answer the burning question that all Steeler fans want to know today. Where did Ben get that horrific hat he wore to the post game news conference?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:09 Chooch

2:09 Ed Bouchette: Didn't see it. Spent my time in the locker room.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:09 Ed Bouchette

2:09 [Comment From Steel Curtain Rising Steel Curtain Rising : ]

Ed, I know you and Gerry make your own travel arrangements an do not fly with the team. Is this standard NFL practice, or are there teams that include the local press corps on the team charter?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:09 Steel Curtain Rising

2:11 Ed Bouchette: Steelers used to take practically the entire press corps in the 1970s. Then came Watergate and even sports departments figured they better not be taking flights on the team. My understanding is, they asked team to bill them for the flights and they would not. So that left the big papers on the road. A few suburban papers still travel on their plan. I don't think other teams take anyone.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:11 Ed Bouchette

2:11 [Comment From TucsonKen TucsonKen : ]

Who do you see in the Super Bowl now?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:11 TucsonKen

2:12 Ed Bouchette: You make that sound as if I thought the Steelers were going to make it as a wild card, which I am on record as not thinking they could. New England and Green Bay.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:12 Ed Bouchette

2:12 [Comment From Taz Taz : ]

Didn't Coach Arians try to retire after last season?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:12 Taz

2:12 Ed Bouchette: Nobody tries to retire. They either do or they do not.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:12 Ed Bouchette

2:12 [Comment From t t : ]

what do you make of tomlin saying he'd run the same defense again? is that just ego talking?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:12 t

2:13 Ed Bouchette: Mike also said he would still go for 2 points from the 12 yardline in that Jacksonville playoff loss.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:13 Ed Bouchette

2:13 [Comment From Jwandburgh Jwandburgh : ]

Ed, do you expect to go with the top seeds for afc title game Balt @ NE. And perhaps losing in denver was a blessing...would steelers have had anything left w/the new injuries to compete in New England?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:13 Jwandburgh

2:14 Ed Bouchette: I think Houston has a chance in Baltimore, Denver none in New England without, of course, divine intervention.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:14 Ed Bouchette

2:15 [Comment From Ed Ed : ]

Are there any legit replacements for Farrior on the roster or would the Steelers need to find one through the draft or free agency?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:15 Ed

2:15 Ed Bouchette: On the team now, Larry Foote and Stevenson Sylvester.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:15 Ed Bouchette

2:15 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]

Why would we select a RB in the draft if we have Mendenhall and Batch coming back next year and obviously have Redman and Clay?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:15 Guest

2:15 Ed Bouchette: I see no Walter Payton in that bunch.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:15 Ed Bouchette

2:16 [Comment From mike mike : ]

what kind of chance would you have given the Steelers against New England had they beaten the Broncos.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:16 mike

2:16 Ed Bouchette: None, or about the chance I gave the Broncos Sunday.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:16 Ed Bouchette

2:17 [Comment From James_Costa Rica James_Costa Rica : ]

It will be interesting to see how the Steelers defense plays Tebow when they meet during the 2012 regular season.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:17 James_Costa Rica

2:17 Ed Bouchette: Again at Denver, again without Ryan Clark.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:17 Ed Bouchette

2:17 [Comment From CantonSteeler CantonSteeler : ]

How do you see Daniel Sepulveda factoring in next year? Do the Steelers feel he can return with all the knee issues?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:17 CantonSteeler

2:17 Ed Bouchette: Daniel, I believe, will be back. He had meniscus tear this time.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:17 Ed Bouchette

2:18 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]

Who was most at fault for the TD in overtime - LeBeau, Taylor, Mundy, or Polamalu?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:18 Guest

2:18 Ed Bouchette: Whoever called that defense.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:18 Ed Bouchette

2:18 [Comment From JerseySteel JerseySteel : ]

Ed, now that the Steelers season is over, are the chats going to still be weekly?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:18 JerseySteel

2:18 Ed Bouchette: Haven't I suffered enough?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:18 Ed Bouchette

2:19 [Comment From Bill Bill : ]

Why can't our guys protect Ben? Our achilles heel definitely cost us on the final drive. Every team has injuries but the better teams seem to protect their qb...Brady, Brees, Rogers.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:19 Bill

2:19 Ed Bouchette: Two reasons: They are not good enough, and Ben is not quick with his releases.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:19 Ed Bouchette

2:19 [Comment From SteelMike58 SteelMike58 : ]

Looks liek we need to beat Baltimore next year as home field advantage is evidently vitally important (4-0 this weekend), you agree?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:19 SteelMike58

2:19 Ed Bouchette: Did you just stumble into that or did you research it?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:19 Ed Bouchette

2:20 [Comment From CJ CJ : ]

Ed - I am starting to believe Wallace is just that one trick pony people often refer to him as. Do you feel he is worthy of a 1st round pick in a trade or would other teams measure him on the 2nd half as well. If a high pick or multiple picks in return - I say we trade him. Brown is a star. Sanders was terrific Sunday. Hold onto Cotchery. Fill some needs.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:20 CJ

2:20 Ed Bouchette: They're not going to trade Mike Wallace. Mike Tomlin is the one who pinned the one-trick pony tag on him.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:20 Ed Bouchette

2:20 [Comment From Franco Franco : ]

Did you review the final play of the game to see if what Gerry reported is true: that it was an illegal play because only 7 men on the line?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:20 Franco

2:21 Ed Bouchette: Gerry saw a story about it in the Denver Post. No, I have not reviewed it and will not.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:21 Ed Bouchette

2:21 [Comment From SteelMike58 SteelMike58 : ]

Did I see other Denver players Tbowing during game, is it spreading like wildfire?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:21 SteelMike58

2:21 Ed Bouchette: The New England Patriots firefighters await with big hoses.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:21 Ed Bouchette

2:21 [Comment From Jim in VT Jim in VT : ]

Seems like the fate was sealed when the ravens made that 92 yard drive, doesn't it?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:21 Jim in VT

2:23 Ed Bouchette: I've said that ever since. It was the most crucial point of the season to the Steelers. Had they stopped the Ravens, the Steelers would have been the No. 2 seed and maybe some injuries do not occur -- or if they do, they could have rested some injured. At the least, they could have rested last week and Houston would be coming to town.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:23 Ed Bouchette

2:23 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]

so what do you think of the new overtime rules? I still think each team should get the ball once....

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:23 Guest

2:23 Ed Bouchette: I actually like them.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:23 Ed Bouchette

2:23 [Comment From Taz Taz : ]

Isn't the 2012 season game in Pittsburgh? I thought they were @ Denver two years ago in 2009?

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:23 Taz

2:24 Ed Bouchette: at Denver. Yes, they were at Denver in '09, but Steelers next year are at Denver, at Oakland and SD and KC come to Pittsburgh.

Tuesday January 10, 2012 2:24 Ed Bouchette

2:25 Ed Bouchette: Thank you for the chats. Keep an eye open, especially on my blog/slog, for updates on when we will do this again. Maybe next Tuesday.

Maybe not.

ed

I sure hope they don't cut Harrison. Coming off back surgery and later a broken orbital bone the guy had 9 sacks in 11 games. He didn't have his best game yesterday but the entire D would be released if we're basing it on that game.
I agree with this although Harrison is one hit away from a 4-game suspension and probably only a couple hits away from a year-long suspension. This is something that needs to be considered when evaluating whether or not he is worth his cap value.
Read in the Trib today that if Steelers cut Harrison, he would still count for $4 MIL of $8MIL on next season's tab.Translation: Not going to get cut.
:thumbup:

Are you intimating that those RB's are better (excluding Redman) than Rashard Mendenhall? I'd like to hear your reasoning on this.
I'm not, but in a cap league you have to weigh the cost/benefit. I think that Redman is every bit Mendenhall's equal. Not the exact same skill set, but what Redman does better than Mendenhall more than makes up for the only advantage Mendenhall has, which is speed. So Redman becomes their starter. Behind him you have what appears to be three capable backups. I wouldn't necessarily trust one of them to carry the load, but I think as a unit they are more than capable, especially since the Steelers are no longer a run first team. Take Mendenhall's $2.1 million and add it to some other money you have available to shore up the OL, or replace one of their aging LBs or DLs.
$2.1 is dirt cheap for Mendenhall, and considering he's a 1st round pick Im sure a lot of that would be a cap penalty if he were cut.

How good of a year will he have coming off an ACL tear?? I wouldnt be surprised if he isnt ready to play week 1. To me, Id be shocked if he gets 1000yds or double digit TD's so Im not so sure teams will be jumping at him and offering him big money. He might be re-signed in 2013 still at a good price.

Timmons was unreal in 2010 at ILB. I dont know what happened this year, but Id at least want to see what he does at ILB in 2012 before even considering moving him outside.

How good of a year will he have coming off an ACL tear?? I wouldnt be surprised if he isnt ready to play week 1. To me, Id be shocked if he gets 1000yds or double digit TD's so Im not so sure teams will be jumping at him and offering him big money. He might be re-signed in 2013 still at a good price.
Godsbrother mentioned the possibility of opening the year on the PUP.Considering Mendenhall hasnt even had the surgery yet, and knowing the time table for recovery, PUP is a distinct possibility.

I'm with Hank on keeping Timmons inside. He didn't impress me at all on the outside, maybe due to lack of experience there. Love to pair Timmons inside with this kid at pick #24:

ILB Luke Kuechly: Boston College (6-3, 237)
Almost definitely gone by our pick. If we go ILB, give me Dont'a Hightower.

For the love of god can we get some OL?

If we protect Ben and open some lanes for whomever runs the ball at least the conversation changes to D/ST issues.

He might be the biggest goon in history - but he was BORN to play QB. Give him some time and a few weapons and he is a SB contender EVERY YEAR.

We won some games this year due to our D - but we lost the important ones due to our O.

For the love of god can we get some OL?If we protect Ben and open some lanes for whomever runs the ball at least the conversation changes to D/ST issues.He might be the biggest goon in history - but he was BORN to play QB. Give him some time and a few weapons and he is a SB contender EVERY YEAR.We won some games this year due to our D - but we lost the important ones due to our O.
They aren't a great group to start with but the biggest problem with the line this year was injuries. Colon never played a down and the it seemed like as soon as we got one lineman back from injury another would go down in his place. I don't think they had the same unit playing more than 4 or 5 consecutive quarters of play all year, which is really tough for an offensive line.Ideally you would like to think that Colon can come back and play OT but I am not sure that you can count on that. They definitely need a OG so getting two starting lineman in the draft is a lot to ask when you also have holes at NT, LB and safety.I just hope this is the last season we have to deal with Kemoeatu and Essex.

Is it time yet to start pressuring Troy to re-negotiate? $11.3mm in 2012? Teams are starting to exploit his age in passing situations.

Dont misintrepret my question...still think he's one of the best safeties to ever lace em up, but the tread IS starting to show.

Is it time yet to start pressuring Troy to re-negotiate? $11.3mm in 2012? Teams are starting to exploit his age in passing situations.Dont misintrepret my question...still think he's one of the best safeties to ever lace em up, but the tread IS starting to show.
Good candidate to restructure for sure

Is it time yet to start pressuring Troy to re-negotiate? $11.3mm in 2012? Teams are starting to exploit his age in passing situations.Dont misintrepret my question...still think he's one of the best safeties to ever lace em up, but the tread IS starting to show.
Restructure, yes. Renegotiate, I'd be surprised. Troy's agent would counter that he was the only playmaker on the #1 ranked pass defense. On the subject, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one day in the near future Polamalu quietly walked away from the game.

'Frenchy Fuqua said:
'Godsbrother said:
'The Hank said:
'SeniorVBDStudent said:
Restructure, yes. Renegotiate, I'd be surprised. Troy's agent would counter that he was the only playmaker on the #1 ranked pass defense. On the subject, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one day in the near future Polamalu quietly walked away from the game.
I think Hank chose his words well. Normally players are very willing to restructure a contract. While it reduces the cap hit for the team it usually involves more money upfront for the player -- a win/win scenario.

'Frenchy Fuqua said:
'Godsbrother said:
'The Hank said:
'SeniorVBDStudent said:
I think Hank chose his words well. Normally players are very willing to restructure a contract. While it reduces the cap hit for the team it usually involves more money upfront for the player -- a win/win scenario.
Agreed, just underscoring the difference between what Senior VBD suggested and Hank's response.

On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202701-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1jAqtHAiw

Hines Ward wants to make a few things perfectly clear: He wants to play for the Steelers in 2012, but, if they do not want him, he still wants to play next season

He just does not want to think about the second part of the equation at the moment.

"It would be weird, not how I want it to happen," Ward said of playing for another team next season. "But I do want to play. I still think I can play. I'm not even thinking like that -- what if. If that scenario happens, I'll be devastated, but I do want to play football."

He understands he would have to take a pay cut from his $4 million salary next season. He has two seasons left on his contract and is willing to do that. Such a decision must be made, however, by March 1 because Ward said a clause in his contract states that they must guarantee his job by then or release him.

"I'd probably have to restructure my contract," Ward said of the pay cut. "That's fine with me. I recognize that. I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. And I understand the ramifications -- we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here."

As for not starting, Ward noted that happened this season.

"Obviously, I was a starter, and then it went the way it did. That's fine, I don't have a problem with not starting. But I want to play, I want to try to win another Super Bowl. I want to do it for this organization. I want to help this team out. I still think I can help this team, on the field, off the field with the younger guys, still be there for the team. I'm willing to do all that."

No one has talked to him yet about his future, Ward said. He will have minor surgery on his right ankle to shave down bone spurs. He also is looking forward to a rest after a year in which he played football into the Super Bowl in February, had knee surgery, won "Dancing With the Stars," had surgery on his thumb and rejoined his teammates for the 2011 season after the lockout ended.

If the Steelers do not want him back next season, Ward hopes fans understand if he signs elsewhere.

"I want to be here. I mean, if they decide they don't want me here, it's not my choice. I wouldn't see why Steelers fans would be angry at me, if I still think I can play. I want to play here. I don't want to put on another uniform, but, at the end of the day, it's not my choice. There's nothing I can do about it."

Ward will turn 36 March 8 and noted "They always say play as long as you can.

"The biggest thing, like Tony Gonzalez, these guys are older than me. And I don't hear if they're retiring or not. Donald Driver, a year older than me, still playing good football...

"I'm just looking year to year, but I do want to play next year. If they decide to part ways, I'll be devastated, but life's not over. I'm still young.

"My thing is, I want to be a Steeler, I'm here, I'm willing to restructure, do whatever. I don't want to be seen in another uniform but, if they decide to part ways, or whatever, I don't know, I'm not even thinking like that. I couldn't even fathom myself [in another uniform], but I still want to play football."

Emmanuel Sanders, one of those young Steelers receivers who helped push Ward down the depth chart, knows where the team's future lies at the position. He also believes there is room for Ward.

"If he comes back, we are going to welcome him with open arms," said Sanders, who completed his second season by leading the Steelers in receiving in the playoff loss Sunday in Denver. "Hines has helped the receiving corps a lot. He definitely taught me, Antonio [brown] and Mike [Wallace] what it takes to be a pro in this league. So, he is a great addition to this receiving corps.

"We know the direction in which we are going with the receiving corps. But, again, Hines is still a great addition. Just the knowledge he brings to the room, you can't pay for that, you can't coach that. He just brings that well-being of how to be a pro into the room."

On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202701-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1jAqtHAiw

Hines Ward wants to make a few things perfectly clear: He wants to play for the Steelers in 2012, but, if they do not want him, he still wants to play next season

He understands he would have to take a pay cut from his $4 million salary next season. He has two seasons left on his contract and is willing to do that. Such a decision must be made, however, by March 1 because Ward said a clause in his contract states that they must guarantee his job by then or release him.

"I'd probably have to restructure my contract," Ward said of the pay cut. "That's fine with me. I recognize that. I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. And I understand the ramifications -- we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here."
Glad he's saying this publicly already. Question is, how big of a paycut is he willing to take? He was the 10th highest paid WR this year, his current contract is far too much for 2012 Hines. I wouldnt want to keep him for anything over $1 mill and I get the feeling he wont take anything under $2

Ward is worth more money than he's "worth" on the field. Coaches do not like to cut guys that lead by example and are willing to take a back seat and mentor younger players. I think cutting him would be a mistake, even if they have to overpay him a bit.

'Frenchy Fuqua said:
James C Wexell @jimwexell 30m

SteelCityInsider Pick 24 Wish List: 1. DeCastro OG, 2. Upshaw OLB, 3. Kuechly ILB, 4. Hightower ILB, 5. Konz C/G. (Subject to overthinking.)
Seems like DeCastro is on everyone's wish list that isnt picking top 10. Kiper has Kuechly top 10. No way them or the clear #1 OLB Upshaw who just won defensive MVP in the BCS championship game last into the 20's.I think I heard the other day that Konz may have been a mid-round 1st before getting injured this year. He's not currently a first rounder according to Kiper or McShay, but I have seen a few mocks with him going around our pick. I'd gladly take a Wisky OLman any day of the week, especially one that can play center since Pouncey apparently cant make it through a season.

That said, Im starting to have a man crush on Hightower.

'Godsbrother said:
Ideally you would like to think that Colon can come back and play OT but I am not sure that you can count on that. They definitely need a OG so getting two starting lineman in the draft is a lot to ask when you also have holes at NT, LB and safety.

I just hope this is the last season we have to deal with Kemoeatu and Essex.
Im at the point where I dont think Colon is worth the risk anymore. He cant stay healthy, and I dont think its the right call to hope he can this year or in the future. I definitely hope Kemo is gone.I dont see how safety is a bigger hole than CB. Everybody, including myself, seems on board with going OG/OT, NT, or ILB in the 1st but I dont think CB should be overlooked either.

'Godsbrother said:
Ideally you would like to think that Colon can come back and play OT but I am not sure that you can count on that. They definitely need a OG so getting two starting lineman in the draft is a lot to ask when you also have holes at NT, LB and safety.

Im at the point where I dont think Colon is worth the risk anymore. He cant stay healthy, and I dont think its the right call to hope he can this year or in the future. I definitely hope Kemo is gone.I dont see how safety is a bigger hole than CB. Everybody, including myself, seems on board with going OG/OT, NT, or ILB in the 1st but I dont think CB should be overlooked either.
Article in the PG today suggesting CB play next year will be better than this year with the continued development of Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen + Curtis Brown entering their 2nd year. Should be three decent young corners there to go with Ike. That also assumes that Willie Gay and McFadden don't come back, I think we'd all agree on those exits being upgrades.Everyone likes Polamalu and Clark at safety but with both in their 30s wouldn't be a bad time to look at a ballhawk there if one fell on our lap.

Article in the PG today suggesting CB play next year will be better than this year with the continued development of Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen + Curtis Brown entering their 2nd year. Should be three decent young corners there to go with Ike. That also assumes that Willie Gay and McFadden don't come back, I think we'd all agree on those exits being upgrades.Everyone likes Polamalu and Clark at safety but with both in their 30s wouldn't be a bad time to look at a ballhawk there if one fell on our lap.
This is exactly my thoughts. Obviously if a cover corner drops in our laps you take him but I don't think you're going to do much better than Lewis, Allen and Brown if you reach in the 1st round or take a corner later (plus I think Gay will be back). On the other hand I think that we need more depth at safety.

'Godsbrother said:

McFadden leaving is a foregone conclusion to me at this point, but who knows. I think Gay has a good shot at being back and right now, is a better nickel CB than Lewis, Cortez the Killer, and Brown. That said, its not like they would be signing him for only a year or two, so it might be more wise to let him walk and hope one or 2 of the 3 mentioned guys step up.As far as CB prospects for us, maybe that guy Dennard from NEB slips to us, but I know nothing about him (Kiper actually has Dre Kirkpatrick 22, but I dont see how he drops out of the top 10). Janoris Jenkins could be there but I doubt the Steelers would take him for character issues.

If they do go safety, I like Mark Barron from Bama a lot. Real nice ball skills and instincts and great against the run.

Users who are viewing this thread