What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Super Bowl LII Thread*** - Eagles vs Patriots (2 Viewers)

KarmaPolice said:
At least we have an explanation from Giselle what happened on Sunday.  I guess she told her kids "Sometimes you have to let other people win."  So Philly fans owe NE a "thank you" for letting them win one.  ;)  
And it’s important when you let them win to really sell it, so they don’t feel bad about the win. That’s why daddy had to run straight into the tunnel, like a crybaby, and not shake hands. To make Nick Foles feel really good anout winning.

Hmm, not bad.  Eagles won by 8.
In fairness, I actually walked back on my prediction later on and said that the Eagles would win but it would be closer.  New England very rarely loses in a blowout and the SuperBowl was no exception.  I still think it might have been a passing of the torch type of game mainly because Brady is old and the Eagles look to have the closest thing to a Brady/Belichick duo.

A common denominator for NE's post season success has been unfamiliarity. NE has gone 15-0 in the post season against teams they have not faced in the regular season in the same season. They have only gone 12-9 in rematch games from earlier in the same year. They did not play the Eagles this year.
NE has now gone 15-1 in the post season against teams they have not faced in the regular season in the same season.  Just bumping so you can update your notebook.

:D

Amused to Death said:
Like I said, its almost as if the Eagles weren't a top-3 team all season.  And only non-Eagles fans were surprised at Big Balls Doug going for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line.  Every Eagles fan knew that was 4-down territory for Doug.
A FG was never in my mind. 

Belichick has so scarred my psyche that I still think he is going to engineer a comeback. 
There is a little known rule that if your defense can not play to the level of a Pop Warner team than you get awarded 10 points...Ernie Adams just discovered this so it will be interesting to see how this plays out...

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
There is a little known rule that if your defense can not play to the level of a Pop Warner team than you get awarded 10 points...Ernie Adams just discovered this so it will be interesting to see how this plays out...
That would give both teams an extra 10, though so....

• Smile
Tom Hagen said:
PFF grades confuse me.  I don't remember Flowers making one impactful play. Even when he pressured Foles it seemed liked Foles completed the pass more often than not. 

Also, are those the top 5 grades for both teams or just New England?
Think of PFF grades as not so much about impactful play and more about who did their jobs in the most consistent manner.  These are to the top NE plays....several players on Philly including Foles and Cox scored in the 90s.  My point was that haters taking shots at BB for benching Butler and "costing the game" are making stuff up to suit a derogatory narrative which makes them feel better about themselves...which is cool...but also de-legitimizes the credit that Philly should get.  Truth is Philly won that game with terrific quarterback play, courageous play calling and not making stupid mistakes, hallmarks that any legit Patriots fan should tip their cap to.

Have Officials Sour and Grapes returned yet with the results?

;)
I have no sour grapes. However, given that the booth officials made it a point to bail out the Patsies several other times this year, my point was the guys in the booth are still trying to figure out if there is a way to take points off the board and extend the game to give NE another shot to win the game.

• Smile
The refs let the last hail mary play go like they normally do, but they missed an obvious illegal contact penalty on Philly well down field when the defender inexplicably knocks out Hogan at the 35 yard line.  Should have been 5 yards and another shot for NE from mid field.  
true. highly unlikely to have made a difference, but true none-the-less It should have been called.

Any questions of whether he or Howie was the problem has been clearly answered.  

Have to give him props for his run pass option though as rekindling those old plays from the Chip days seem to have really helped Foles take off. 
I am thoroughly impressed with Doug Pederson as a head coach.  All the game day decisions, using analytics in game to decide when to go for it on 4th down, actually going for it on 4th down appropriately, aggressive play calling, etc.  But this isn't being talked about enough. As I understand it, during the bye week they reviewed a bunch of film and added more RPOs because that's when Foles was most effective.  Props to him because Foles clearly played great during the playoffs.  It's easy to say about the super bowl winning team pretty much every year, but I think the Eagles have a very bright future with Pederson and Wentz.  I'm a little jealous. 

This line of thinking and ribbing needs to go. Foles is a starting quality QB, and probably always was. He just got Fischer'd.
Sorry but blaming a loss on a benched CB doesn’t hold water compared to losing your MVP leading QB regardless of who the backup is and I’m a bigger Foles supporter than any. Making injury/benching excuses for the Pats is a joke compared to what the birds overcame and I’ll stand behind that 100%. 

true. highly unlikely to have made a difference, but true none-the-less It should have been called.
While it could have been called, let's give a ton of credit to the Eagles defender (whoever it was) and possibly the Eagles coaching staff.  They knew that it would never be called and the right move was to absolutely ensure that the Patriots don't get that TD.  More teams should be thinking like this when going up against a hail mary.  

Sorry but blaming a loss on a benched CB doesn’t hold water compared to losing your MVP leading QB regardless of who the backup is and I’m a bigger Foles supporter than any. Making injury/benching excuses for the Pats is a joke compared to what the birds overcame and I’ll stand behind that 100%. 
Amen to this. 

I am thoroughly impressed with Doug Pederson as a head coach.  All the game day decisions, using analytics in game to decide when to go for it on 4th down, actually going for it on 4th down appropriately, aggressive play calling, etc.  But this isn't being talked about enough. As I understand it, during the bye week they reviewed a bunch of film and added more RPOs because that's when Foles was most effective.  Props to him because Foles clearly played great during the playoffs.  It's easy to say about the super bowl winning team pretty much every year, but I think the Eagles have a very bright future with Pederson and Wentz.  I'm a little jealous. 
It would be nice if we could say the same about Tomlin, eh?  I think Tomlin is decent but he's not a potential football genius (like what I think Pederson will be).  I'm also jealous.  Philly hit the jackpot with this QB/coaching duo.  

ETA - But as a guy who has lived in Philly for over 11 years and had to witness all the heartbreak in this city, it's a little refreshing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t see how the Patriots win this game. They nearly lost to Blake Bortles. Phily’s offense is superior to Jacksonville’s and despite what the numbers say New England’s defense just isn’t very good. They couldn’t stop Jacksonville on third down the majority of the game. I think it’s likely the Eagles take advantage of the Patriots very questionable linebackers.

In the end I think the Patriots keep it fairly close because they are the ultimate professionals and will be able to counter some of what Phily is doing, but I like the Eagles to win by a td.
Looks like I knew what I was talking about lol

whew, Pats fans in here pretty salty with refs and the calls. I think if i honestly hear another person tell me Pats would have won if they put Butler in, or the Eagles should have had 3 TDs pulled back, I might just go punch a horse

#DougyBalls

whew, Pats fans in here pretty salty with refs and the calls. I think if i honestly hear another person tell me Pats would have won if they put Butler in, or the Eagles should have had 3 TDs pulled back, I might just go punch a horse
There's always an excuse when the Patriots lose. 

"We would have beaten Indy in the 2006 AFCCG and then won Super Bowl 41 over the Bears if the refs called PI on the Reche Caldwell play."

"We would have won Super Bowl 42 if not for the luckiest catch ever."

"We would have won Super Bowl 46 if Gronk had been 100%."

"We would have won Super Bowl 52 if Malcolm Butler had played."

For a fanbase that sees their team win a lot, they sure love to complain and make excuses on the rare occasions when they lose. 

Let's call things the way things were. Neither defense showed up or made many adjustments. The better team won, but PHI allowed 75 more yards than NE did. The Eagles defense was nothing to write home about. They got a big turnover when they needed it, but the rest of the game they were not all that great.
i haven't looked at the stats per quarter, but when watching the game i feel like they gave up half of those yards in the 3rd Q. That quarter was just absolutely bloody for the Eagles defense and secondary. was literally a free for all for the Pats wideouts and Gronk

Not would have won - he might have made a difference on a couple plays in a very close game. 

Not 3 TDs called back - just the one.  

Please try to keep up.  ;)

Not would have won - he might have made a difference on a couple plays in a very close game. 

Not 3 TDs called back - just the one.  

Please try to keep up.  ;)
he might have made a difference, but the Eagles game planned for Butler the whole 2 weeks. was a fun game. Hope the Pats can work their drama out and bring in some guys on the defense so we can watch rd. 2 next year. Will be fun with Peters, Sproles, and Wentz on the field to win their rings next year 

Where are these Pats fans that are getting salty? :unsure:

Most of the comments of this type aren’t from pats fans. Not sure why we are getting dragged into this? MOST of the die hards I see in here have zero complaints about the outcome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The refs let the last hail mary play go like they normally do, but they missed an obvious illegal contact penalty on Philly well down field when the defender inexplicably knocks out Hogan at the 35 yard line.  Should have been 5 yards and another shot for NE from mid field.  
They definitely missed the Eagles DB shove the WR on the last play.  But on the same play, like 1 second later Gronk one arm shoves the DB running with him.  At worst, that play would/should have been offsetting penalties, replay the down.  I thought the refs did a good job of letting the players decide the game on the field.  Surprisingly, the two biggest calls of the game went the Eagles way.  

I guess I’ve missed this and you certainly won’t hear it from me. Good win by the Eagles and I have no complaints regarding the refs. I also feel like it is a lazy take to say Butler would have made a difference. We will never know so why even say it, he didn’t play and Eagles won. End of story, time to focus on the NCAA, NBA and NHL.

Where are these Pats fans that are getting salty? :unsure:

Most of the comments of this type aren’t from pats fans. Not sure why we are getting dragged into this? MOST of the die hards I see in here have zero complaints about the outcome. 
I think you are right, most the Pats fans I've seen have been first class and it's others trying to stir the pot. Great game guys, what a heck of a run your franchise has been on.....thanks for letting us get away with one.  :thumbup:

Anyone still crying about the Clement TD should watch Inside the NFL. The ref is mic'd and explains the thought process, and they show the best angle establishing that he had control. It's not really as close as anyone is saying, clear possession throughout. Remember that the ball can move while in the player's possession and that does not automatically equal loss of control.

Users who are viewing this thread