What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Super Bowl LII Thread*** - Eagles vs Patriots (1 Viewer)

The Eagles pass rush was close all game long. Brady played out of his mind. His pocket presence was off the charts.

Any other QB and this would have been a blowout victory by the Eagles.
At one point Collinsworth comments that the hits were having an effect on Brady. I think that was mostly in the first half though. 

I think there was one hit where Brady was slow to get up, holding his ribs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tool said:
Who cares if he checked in. Ref’s still got it wrong. It doesn’t matter at this point but the Eagles benefitted from the ref’s on that play.
Because that's why they check in?  WR checks with the line judge to make sure, if he's not ok, the WR adjusts to make sure he is ok.  It's rookie WR's that don't do that.    They aren't out there with tape measures and index cards. Line judge responsible for making sure they're lined up, so the WR checks to make sure.  Non issue.

Because that's why they check in?  WR checks with the line judge to make sure, if he's not ok, the WR adjusts to make sure he is ok.  It's rookie WR's that don't do that.    They aren't out there with tape measures and index cards. Line judge responsible for making sure they're lined up, so the WR checks to make sure.  Non issue.
Pereira said they generally allow a yard, maybe a yard and half.  If that gray line is accurate, Jeffery is a yard and half off the LOS.  But his statement that Jeffery was 2 yards or more is ridiculous.   Jeffery's no further than the 3, and possibly inside the 3.

As a Pats fan, I had no problem with the way the game was officiated.

They let offensive holding go both ways. I don't care if a WR was lined up a foot further back on the TD play.

I didn't think either PHI TD was in doubt.

The one complaint that I have is the spear to the face of Cooks that knocked him out of the game. 

I remember Anquan Boldin getting his jaw broke taking a hit like this. But I guess anything goes once you become a runner?

Seems like any hit with the crown of the helmet should be a PF.

They let offensive holding go both ways. I don't care if a WR was lined up a foot further back on the TD play.

The one complaint that I have is the spear to the face of Cooks that knocked him out of the game. 

I remember Anquan Boldin getting his jaw broke taking a hit like this. But I guess anything goes once you become a runner?

RBs lead with their helmets all the time.

Yep, helmet to helmet — or helmet to anything — is legal in the NFL if you’re a runner. However, that is no longer the case in college and I would not be surprised if the NFL eventually follows suit. 

Then every hit on a running play will be a personal foul.

At one point Collinsworth comments that the hits were having an effect on Brady. I think that was mostly in the first half though. 

I think there was one hit where Brady was slow to get up, holding his ribs.
yup, and next play (might have been a few plays, saw it on SoundFX) was the pass to Brady. not great play-calling with that

Let's be clear here, on a running play the runner and the defender both know they are about to butt heads.

Occasionally, on receiving plays, a receiver will cut back or otherwise not be moving north / south and a new defender will come in and deliver a blind side hit like Cooks received.

This is clearly within the rules.  Is it necessary?  Some players, I'm looking at the rookie Saints defender who whiffed on Stephon Diggs and gave the Vikings a hollow victory, are happy to take a shot at delivering the big hit rather than doing should be the norm, which is form tackling.  

So, are you happy because "it was a beautiful football play" or are you happy because a Patriots receiver got clocked?  Would you be equally as happy if it had been a receiver on your team who had gotten clocked?

Food for thought.

So, are you happy because "it was a beautiful football play" or are you happy because a Patriots receiver got clocked?  Would you be equally as happy if it had been a receiver on your team who had gotten clocked?

Food for thought.
Can I be happy for both?

When the play first happened, it reminded me of the hit Scott Stevens of the Devils put on Eric Lindros. A huge, clean hit when he wasn't looking.  Hope Cooks is ok and comes back healthy next year.  And that he keeps his head up when he's pirouetting around the middle of the field. 

Let's be clear here, on a running play the runner and the defender both know they are about to butt heads.

Occasionally, on receiving plays, a receiver will cut back or otherwise not be moving north / south and a new defender will come in and deliver a blind side hit like Cooks received.

This is clearly within the rules.  Is it necessary?  Some players, I'm looking at the rookie Saints defender who whiffed on Stephon Diggs and gave the Vikings a hollow victory, are happy to take a shot at delivering the big hit rather than doing should be the norm, which is form tackling.  

Food for thought.
i think 95% of people in here will have a hard time looking at this completely objectively.  For instance, the bolded above is inaccurate. was only blind side because Cooks didn't have his head on a swivel, checking around to see where opponents were coming in. Malcolm wasn't looking to blindside him, it was the angle he had on the play. Watching the play again, i can't see any other angle he comes in on to make a hit on the ball carrier. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlhhheVzEs

i'm happy with the pursuit of our DBs assisting with a catch down the field. if it was an Eagles WR i don't think i would be cheering, but i would feel very similar in that this was a tough lesson to learn for the WR, but you need to keep your head on a swivel when you are not heading north/south. 

Why are we back discussing the Cooks hit? By that point he was a runner not a receiver, so defenseless receiver and helmet to helmet essentially went out the window. I believe the only option they had was intentionally with a helmet and spearing Cooks, which  didn’t seem like that was the case. 

Food for thought.
It was a big hit that was also well done in regards to getting the man down.  It wasn't like he laid out and led to Cooks' head with his helmet.

Can I be happy for both?

When the play first happened, it reminded me of the hit Scott Stevens of the Devils put on Eric Lindros. A huge, clean hit when he wasn't looking.  Hope Cooks is ok and comes back healthy next year.  And that he keeps his head up when he's pirouetting around the middle of the field. 
Damn you.  I forgot about that one.  That was one of the biggest momentum killers of all time.  It let ALLL of the air out of the house we were watching that game in....nevermind the hole it left in the middle of the Wachovia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I be happy for both?

Damn you.  I forgot about that one.  That was one of the biggest momentum killers of all time.  It let ALLL of the air out of the house we were watching that game in....nevermind the hole it left in the middle of the Wachovia.
Stevens hit on Lindros

Jenkins hit on Cooks

Yep, helmet to helmet — or helmet to anything — is legal in the NFL if you’re a runner. However, that is no longer the case in college and I would not be surprised if the NFL eventually follows suit. 
Rule book says otherwise. Can not lead with the crown of the helmet. This goes for both the RB or Defender.

Has nothing to do with a player being "defenseless". 

---------------------------------

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET
It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

----------------------------------

Seems that hit on Cooks was a personal foul after all.

Here's a slow mo video ... ignore the babble by the host. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnuXCRCdisI

But like I said, that was my one beef with the reffing. 

Rule book says otherwise. Can not lead with the crown of the helmet. This goes for both the RB or Defender.

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

Here's a slow mo video ... ignore the babble by the host. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnuXCRCdisI

You think he led with the top of his helmet?

He didn’t lead with the crown. His head was lowered, but it was the right side of his helmet that made contact with Cooks’ facemask.

“Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.”

Clean hit.  Get over it.

Crap!! We lost the defensive yardage championship! It's a good thing the Lombardi is awarded to the team who scored the most points.
You'll have to excuse Cowboysfan8.  It's been so long since his team has even gotten as far as the NFC championship game that the poor kid has forgotten what the object of the game is.  I just hope the NFL doesn't review and decide that the ring should go to the team with the most yardage.  :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread