What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL***The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion thread (1 Viewer)

:eek: :eek: :excited: :excited: :bow:

The graphics are pretty freaking awesome. I am still in the tutorial (stupid patients want to be seen) and I am amazed how fast they get you into the game.

Get this game.

This is the primary reason I went out and bought a new desktop. My laptop was awesome for Morrowind 3, but there was no way the 32MB video card would handle this game. Picked up the PC on the 30th of December so I could write the mutha off. (I work in IT!!)

I probably won't pick it up right away though. Still playing Dungeon Siege II. Fantastic game. When I get bored of that in the next few weeks I'll pick up Oblivion. I'm not big on buying games the second they come out. I love picking up games when the price has dropped. I think I got Morrowind with the two expansions for $30. I love to game, but I'm a cheap ******* when it comes to paying full price for these things....

This is the primary reason I went out and bought a new desktop. My laptop was awesome for Morrowind 3, but there was no way the 32MB video card would handle this game. Picked up the PC on the 30th of December so I could write the mutha off. (I work in IT!!)

I probably won't pick it up right away though. Still playing Dungeon Siege II. Fantastic game. When I get bored of that in the next few weeks I'll pick up Oblivion. I'm not big on buying games the second they come out. I love picking up games when the price has dropped. I think I got Morrowind with the two expansions for $30. I love to game, but I'm a cheap ******* when it comes to paying full price for these things....
I hear you. There's very few games I run out and buy as soon as they hit the shelves but I bought Daggerfall (still an ATF) and Morrowind in the first couple days. My guess is that Oblivion won't be discounted until the summer at the soonest and I know I can't wait that long.

I hear you. There's very few games I run out and buy as soon as they hit the shelves but I bought Daggerfall (still an ATF) and Morrowind in the first couple days. My guess is that Oblivion won't be discounted until the summer at the soonest and I know I can't wait that long.
:thumbup: :bye:

I doubt I wait that long either. This is one of those games that I will pay full price for. NWN II will probably get me too when it comes out.

I doubt I wait that long either. This is one of those games that I will pay full price for. NWN II will probably get me too when it comes out.
You, sir, are a man of impeccable taste. :thumbup:

Update Prime?

I am still in the capital after getting out of the sewers trying to learn it all and such.

Is this available mainstream, like at Best Buy? Didn't even realize it was out! Morrowind is about the only game I played in the past year. I lost interest in gaming for the most part but really enjoyed Morrowind and can't wait to try Oblivion.

I had a version of Morrowind for the Xbox and it was so long I ended up getting bored stiff. Is it single player?

I'd like to get an FBG party together for NWN II when it comes out.

I had a version of Morrowind for the Xbox and it was so long I ended up getting bored stiff. Is it single player?
Yep. It's what I loved about it. They concentrated their time on developing story and plot rather than code for making it available for multiplayer. I think that's why it ended up like it did rather than another Diablo clone.

Is this available mainstream, like at Best Buy? Didn't even realize it was out! Morrowind is about the only game I played in the past year. I lost interest in gaming for the most part but really enjoyed Morrowind and can't wait to try Oblivion.
I got it at Gamestop. I would imagine that the big box stores won't have it until Thursday or Friday. However, you may get lucky.

I'd like to get an FBG party together for NWN II when it comes out.
We will definitely run a FBG NWN 2 party. I am very excited for that one. We ran a few FBG NWN adventures - we actually had to split into 2 groups, in fact, due to numbers and time zones.

It was available at Best Buy last night after work for me. In fact, they had about half a dozen copies.

I've put in about 2.5 hours so far. I like that it's mroe like Daggerfall in that it throws you right into the action and you are at least somewhat competent. I also like that after the beginning level you can completely revamp your character (race, sign, class) if you're not happy with your choices.

Graphics are absolutely fantastic and the custom face feature is cool as well. So far a big thumbs up.

(Edit: Right now I'm in the bandit/zombie dungeon across the river from the starting dungeon.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was available at Best Buy last night after work for me. In fact, they had about half a dozen copies.

I've put in about 2.5 hours so far. I like that it's mroe like Daggerfall in that it throws you right into the action and you are at least somewhat competent. I also like that after the beginning level you can completely revamp your character (race, sign, class) if you're not happy with your choices.

Graphics are absolutely fantastic and the custom face feature is cool as well. So far a big thumbs up.

(Edit: Right now I'm in the bandit/zombie dungeon across the river from the starting dungeon.)
I will have to head to that dungeon today. :ninja: Yeah, the choices are great. I made a custom class - Ranger, which has marksmanship, blade, destruction and a bunch of stealth stuff.

I did a save game right before that re-choose your stuff point, so I can start right there anytime I want to start a new character and not have to go through the tutorial again.

FPS, like Half-Life 2, can make me feel a little queasy. Is this game going to have the same effect on me?
:blackdot:
I would tend to doubt it. It is not nearly as frenetic and fast paced as a FPS. Additionally, you can easily switch to 3rd person view, so that is not a big deal.The archery is definitely improved on this one. It is very useful now. Nothing says domination like sneaking across the room, taking careful aim, then getting 3X damage for the sneak attack.

FPS, like Half-Life 2, can make me feel a little queasy.  Is this game going to have the same effect on me?
:blackdot:
I think that was an issue for some people with Morrowind. It never bothered me so I didn't even notice if it had the bobbing walking motion in Oblivion.

Oh, and they added rag-doll physics to this game. At one point, I was just taking practice shots with the bow at skulls hanging on a chain and they would say so prettily. Then you cast a spell and destroy a rat and watch its body get flung against the wall. Good stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks. I may have to go pick this up now, Mrs. Foos may curse you soon.
:hifive: Mrs. Mad Cow already curses me, so tell her she can join the freaking club.

I'm getting geeked about this now. Particularly the talk of the Ranger and the improved Bow skills. I think in the last one I did fighters pretty much every time because the Bow was pretty weak. I carried a bow and did some distance damage on tough opponents but that was about it. But I love the Ranger class. I started off with one in Dungeon Siege II but switched it to a mage (much more damage that way). In NWN I beat it as a Ranger and a fighter.

Can you still you speech skills and talk NPC's into attacking you? I loved bumping into guards with glass armor and insulting them until they attacked me so I could go sell their armor and not have to go to jail.

Also, is there a guy to sell your gear too that gives you good coin like the creeper? Do you have to go back through the process of trading a 45000 GP item for 8 5000 GP items and the 5000 gps and then sell all the 5000 GP items back? That was a pain. But having stacks of gold all over my fortress was pretty cool....

Oh for the love of all that is good, this game is going to get me in trouble.

:nerd: :excited:

MC - Have you given Galactic Civilizations II a shot yet? You always seemed interested in the space strategy game...
I got the first one and was not impressed at all. I've been dying for a good space strategy game.

I'm getting geeked about this now. Particularly the talk of the Ranger and the improved Bow skills. I think in the last one I did fighters pretty much every time because the Bow was pretty weak. I carried a bow and did some distance damage on tough opponents but that was about it. But I love the Ranger class. I started off with one in Dungeon Siege II but switched it to a mage (much more damage that way). In NWN I beat it as a Ranger and a fighter.

Can you still you speech skills and talk NPC's into attacking you? I loved bumping into guards with glass armor and insulting them until they attacked me so I could go sell their armor and not have to go to jail.

Also, is there a guy to sell your gear too that gives you good coin like the creeper? Do you have to go back through the process of trading a 45000 GP item for 8 5000 GP items and the 5000 gps and then sell all the 5000 GP items back? That was a pain. But having stacks of gold all over my fortress was pretty cool....
I custom made the Ranger class. They have a crapload of classes, and while the archer was close to what I wanted, I did a custom class which is always an option in TES games. I just :own3d: the bandit dungeon with the bow. I snuck through, would spot the baddies and then nail them from afar. The sound is incredible. To hear that arrow zip through the air and thud into the head of a bad guy and see him collapse as a body would is perfection.Not sure about the speech. They do have a different system of persuasion that takes a little time to get used to. The lockpick minigame is interesting, as well.

As far as gold, only time will tell. Merchants do have limited gold, but i can only speak for what I know right now and there is currently plenty. I only have about 500 gold and am still level 1 with an iron bow that drains willpower on hits and steel arrows and very light armor. I am a YOOOOOGE fan so far.

MC - Have you given Galactic Civilizations II a shot yet? You always seemed interested in the space strategy game...
I got the first one and was not impressed at all. I've been dying for a good space strategy game.
That one is supposed to be amazing, but with BF2 and now Oblivion, all of my gaming time is spoken for. :kicksrock:

Apparently, there were some problems with the AI, as well as memory leaks. The AI they are trying to get with this game is amazing. Take an NPC, for instance. They give him things he has to do, as well as his own agenda and needs, and set him loose to accomplish that however he sees fit. Makes for a very different experience all over. However, they have had problems. For instance, there was one area where 1 monster was supposed to protect a unicorn, but it kept killing it. Stuff like that to figure out.

Anyway, should be awesome.
:lmao:

Souns like a trip to Best Buy is warranted tonight. Haven't gamed in six months. Nice to have something to look forward to again!

I'm getting geeked about this now.  Particularly the talk of the Ranger and the improved Bow skills.  I think in the last one I did fighters pretty much every time because the Bow was pretty weak.  I carried a bow and did some distance damage on tough opponents but that was about it.  But I love the Ranger class.  I started off with one in Dungeon Siege II but switched it to a mage (much more damage that way).  In NWN I beat it as a Ranger and a fighter. 

Can you still you speech skills and talk NPC's into attacking you?  I loved bumping into guards with glass armor and insulting them until they attacked me so I could go sell their armor and not have to go to jail. 

Also, is there a guy to sell your gear too that gives you good coin like the creeper?  Do you have to go back through the process of trading a 45000 GP item for 8 5000 GP items and the 5000 gps and then sell all the 5000 GP items back?  That was a pain.  But having stacks of gold all over my fortress was pretty cool....
I custom made the Ranger class. They have a crapload of classes, and while the archer was close to what I wanted, I did a custom class which is always an option in TES games. I just :own3d: the bandit dungeon with the bow. I snuck through, would spot the baddies and then nail them from afar. The sound is incredible. To hear that arrow zip through the air and thud into the head of a bad guy and see him collapse as a body would is perfection.Not sure about the speech. They do have a different system of persuasion that takes a little time to get used to. The lockpick minigame is interesting, as well.

As far as gold, only time will tell. Merchants do have limited gold, but i can only speak for what I know right now and there is currently plenty. I only have about 500 gold and am still level 1 with an iron bow that drains willpower on hits and steel arrows and very light armor. I am a YOOOOOGE fan so far.
Did you waltz through the "hidden" zombie section of that dungeon as well? Those zombies are much tougher than the bandits.

Did you waltz through the "hidden" zombie section of that dungeon as well? Those zombies are much tougher than the bandits.
I am going to go back for those. I found the silver design door, and figure there is another one there somewhere. Any hints? I had too much good stuff to sell, so I left, sold it, now will return and grab more loot.Edit to say I saw the note in the bandit leader's room and had not taken time to look for the other door yet, unless that silver door is the hidden area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting geeked about this now.  Particularly the talk of the Ranger and the improved Bow skills.  I think in the last one I did fighters pretty much every time because the Bow was pretty weak.  I carried a bow and did some distance damage on tough opponents but that was about it.  But I love the Ranger class.  I started off with one in Dungeon Siege II but switched it to a mage (much more damage that way).  In NWN I beat it as a Ranger and a fighter. 

Can you still you speech skills and talk NPC's into attacking you?  I loved bumping into guards with glass armor and insulting them until they attacked me so I could go sell their armor and not have to go to jail. 

Also, is there a guy to sell your gear too that gives you good coin like the creeper?  Do you have to go back through the process of trading a 45000 GP item for 8 5000 GP items and the 5000 gps and then sell all the 5000 GP items back?  That was a pain.  But having stacks of gold all over my fortress was pretty cool....

I am going to go back for those. I found the silver design door, and figure there is another one there somewhere. Any hints? I had too much good stuff to sell, so I left, sold it, now will return and grab more loot.Edit to say I saw the note in the bandit leader's room and had not taken time to look for the other door yet, unless that silver door is the hidden area.
The glowing tree door leads to a tomb area but there is another secret door in that area which is where the zombies are (and the dead bandit mentioned in the note).As with all of the Elder Scroll games, the map is your friend when it comes to finding secret doors as it will always show the hallways on the other side of the secret door even though you haven't found the door itself.

The glowing tree door leads to a tomb area but there is another secret door in that area which is where the zombies are (and the dead bandit mentioned in the note).As with all of the Elder Scroll games, the map is your friend when it comes to finding secret doors as it will always show the hallways on the other side of the secret door even though you haven't found the door itself.
Cool.Have you done any quests in the capital yet? Still working on Toronir.

You guys are going to make me leave work early to pick this up aren't you?
What are your system specs? Video card is king with this one. I am running it on my lesser computer with an AMD 64 3200+, 2 gig of RAM and an ATI X850XT with everything turned on and max native resolution for my office LCD. I can only imagine how pretty it will look on my home system with the x1900XT and the HDR turned on. :excited:

You guys are going to make me leave work early to pick this up aren't you?
What are your system specs? Video card is king with this one. I am running it on my lesser computer with an AMD 64 3200+, 2 gig of RAM and an ATI X850XT with everything turned on and max native resolution for my office LCD. I can only imagine how pretty it will look on my home system with the x1900XT and the HDR turned on. :excited:
AMD 64 3400, 1 GB RAM, 9600 Pro

Drifter - what class/race are you playing? Found a play style that you like? I had always been a melee based class, but wanted to try the bow and am so far really liking it. That with the sneak to get the 3X sneak attack bonuses are pretty deadly at this level. I will miss the daedric weapons and armor, though. :kicksrock:

Haven't been to the capital yet. Got out of the sewers, crossed the river and went straight into this dungeon.

Haven't been to the capital yet. Got out of the sewers, crossed the river and went straight into this dungeon.
How have you not sold stuff yet? It would kill me to leave all that crap behind.

Frigging Drifter playing the game and leaving himself in this thread. :hot:
I'm actually at work and just have the window open. I'm probably going to go back and sell stuff before I continue much further. I wanted to work on some of my skills first before hitting the town. I also made sure to choose Strength as one of my primary traits so I can haul more loot.

I'm actually at work and just have the window open. I'm probably going to go back and sell stuff before I continue much further. I wanted to work on some of my skills first before hitting the town. I also made sure to choose Strength as one of my primary traits so I can haul more loot.
Even though it is not a primary of mine, how do I raise strength? Fighting with melee? Not sure there.

Even though it is not a primary of mine, how do I raise strength? Fighting with melee? Not sure there.
In previous games you would get attribute points when you levelled up (which was when your primary skills increased a certain amount). I imagine it's something similar. I just levelled up for the first time and haven't had a chance to rest yet to see what happens.

Dang it. You know when you start a game and you are not sure how to do it? Well, I am going back to the choice save and adjsut my skills a bit. I want to be able to poison, so will put points in alchemy and the like. Luckily, I only have to redo the bandit place.

Dang it. You know when you start a game and you are not sure how to do it? Well, I am going back to the choice save and adjsut my skills a bit. I want to be able to poison, so will put points in alchemy and the like. Luckily, I only have to redo the bandit place.
Sounds like the Assasin class might be worth looking at for you.

Sounds like the Assasin class might be worth looking at for you.
But there are better ways to specialize, too. I am gonna try it out - I will report my solution.I played Daggerfall a ton many years ago. Morrowind - not nearly as much, but a fair amount. THis one so far seems so much better than both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread