What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Wow, that was some serious comic book nerd whining. lol

eta: Coming out of a coma looking like some super hero would have been pretty schlocky imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't read the comic and wasn't super looking forward to the series. I thought it was very good.

What I've taken away from this discussion is there are far too many of you reading comic books. Pretty sure I graduated out of that class around age 7 and moved on to books with no pictures but to each his own. If any of you are wondering what a ###### looks like, let me know, I can PM you a quality link.

:lol:
Some have moved past the looking at pictures part for that as well.
Indeed they have, I am not grouping those that read graphic novels in there. I'm afraid if they actually see one live and in person they would turn into a blathering idiot covered in drool. Baby steps at first.
I've seen lots of them and this is still my reaction. Don't think I'll ever outgrow that. :confused:
:fishy: touche'

beer 30 said:
What I've taken away from this discussion is there are far too many of you reading comic books. Pretty sure I graduated out of that class around age 7 and moved on to books with no pictures but to each his own. If any of you are wondering what a ###### looks like, let me know, I can PM you a quality link. :wall:
:rolleyes:

Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.

I would have also done the entrance into Atlanta differently. I really like the horse idea, but have him galloping into the city only to come upon a little girl running for her life from some zombies - have him shoot the zombie , the little girl comes to the side of the horse and then the horde starts filling the street with zombie from all the buildings - the girl falls prey after he franticly tries to get her on the horse with him, he then falls off the horse and ends up in the tank.

What do you think?
I think what you wrote has no basis from the comics. The characters at the camp site already gave the viewer a hint that no one should be in Atlanta. I doubt some little girl would survive in that chaos.
There was a tank in the comics? Seem like the writer took some liberties with the source already. I was just explaining how I felt it could have been done better/differently.
And it should have been vampires instead of zombies. They're what's "IT" right now. And instead of a man on a horse it should have been a woman on a Segway. I mean as long as we're playing arm-chair screen writer. :(

I would have also done the entrance into Atlanta differently. I really like the horse idea, but have him galloping into the city only to come upon a little girl running for her life from some zombies - have him shoot the zombie , the little girl comes to the side of the horse and then the horde starts filling the street with zombie from all the buildings - the girl falls prey after he franticly tries to get her on the horse with him, he then falls off the horse and ends up in the tank.

What do you think?
I think what you wrote has no basis from the comics. The characters at the camp site already gave the viewer a hint that no one should be in Atlanta. I doubt some little girl would survive in that chaos.
There was a tank in the comics? Seem like the writer took some liberties with the source already. I was just explaining how I felt it could have been done better/differently.
And it should have been vampires instead of zombies. They're what's "IT" right now. And instead of a man on a horse it should have been a woman on a Segway. I mean as long as we're playing arm-chair screen writer. :goodposting:
Yeah, don't bother trying to improve the show or anything.And Zombies are "IT" right now not vampires.

What do you think?
And it should have been vampires instead of zombies. They're what's "IT" right now. And instead of a man on a horse it should have been a woman on a Segway. I mean as long as we're playing arm-chair screen writer. :thumbup:
Yeah, don't bother trying to improve the show or anything.And Zombies are "IT" right now not vampires.
Are you a writer of scripts or literature by profession? Then spare us your thoughts on how this well-received new drama could be improved by your hair-brained suggestions.

I think what you wrote has no basis from the comics.

The characters at the camp site already gave the viewer a hint that no one should be in Atlanta. I doubt some little girl would survive in that chaos.
And it should have been vampires instead of zombies. They're what's "IT" right now. And instead of a man on a horse it should have been a woman on a Segway. I mean as long as we're playing arm-chair screen writer. :excited:
Are you a writer of scripts or literature by profession? Then spare us your thoughts on how this well-received new drama could be improved by your hair-brained suggestions.
Did I say I was a writer of scripts or literature by profession?And keep your opinion to yourself also, because no one asked for it.

Actually you did...

What do you think?

Actually you did...

What do you think?
Let me revise that a little bit.Anyone who is not a tool care to give their opinion.

Let me be clear. I'm not suggesting that this first episode represents that greatest storytelling since the invention of the moving picture, but there's nothing more pointless than you (i.e. - anyone) telling how you could have made it better by re-writing an entire scene.

Actually you did...

What do you think?
Let me revise that a little bit.Anyone who is not a tool care to give their opinion.
:sarcasm: I think your ending your thoughts with "What do you think?" is an homage to Sepinwall.

"The first episode made me rethink my entire body of work..."

William Shakespeare

"It just doesn't (and won't ever) get any better than this."

Fyodor Dostoevsky

"KICK ###!"

Tennessee Williams

Glad to see we made it to page 3 before all the bickering and squabbling by the uber nerds set in. LOST threads didn't make it past page 1.

Even the undead need energy to move, right? It seems like they're barely eating, and then they get up and walk around all night. Granted they're a bit lighter from having various pieces of their body chewed off, but there also seems to be some serious muscle atrophy as well. Help me understand.

That said, I thought it was decent.

Even the undead need energy to move, right? It seems like they're barely eating, and then they get up and walk around all night. Granted they're a bit lighter from having various pieces of their body chewed off, but there also seems to be some serious muscle atrophy as well. Help me understand.That said, I thought it was decent.
No, the body is dead and decaying so it doesn't need fuel to keep running. Only the brain keeps the zombie "alive".

Even the undead need energy to move, right? It seems like they're barely eating, and then they get up and walk around all night. Granted they're a bit lighter from having various pieces of their body chewed off, but there also seems to be some serious muscle atrophy as well. Help me understand.That said, I thought it was decent.

Finally watched it last night. Pretty good. I'll keep watching for now.

On a side note, I have Directv, and AMC has no HD option on that platform. WTF? I can't remember the last time I watched anything in SD, and it looks really bad on a 60" screen.

goonsquad said:
Dr. Bronner said:
No, the body is dead and decaying so it doesn't need fuel to keep running. Only the brain keeps the zombie "alive".
How does a zombie lift its leg to move? Everything needs energy.

Finally watched it last night. Pretty good. I'll keep watching for now. On a side note, I have Directv, and AMC has no HD option on that platform. WTF? I can't remember the last time I watched anything in SD, and it looks really bad on a 60" screen.
yeah we talked about this earlier in the thread. Direct TV has so many channels in HD but missing some obvious basic ones like AMC and BBCA that are disappointing.At least the kept the aspect ratio correct (although that was probably AMC's decision and not Direct TV's).

goonsquad said:
Dr. Bronner said:
So, you're fine with dead people coming back to 'life', but have a real problem with where they get their energy from? :clap: Do you rail against Star Wars and the physics behind the light saber too?

goonsquad said:
Dr. Bronner said:
So, you're fine with dead people coming back to 'life', but have a real problem with where they get their energy from? :goodposting: Do you rail against Star Wars and the physics behind the light saber too?
I think they're actors playing the parts of zombies with lots of makeup and cg (computer graphics).

goonsquad said:
Dr. Bronner said:
So, you're fine with dead people coming back to 'life', but have a real problem with where they get their energy from? :link: Do you rail against Star Wars and the physics behind the light saber too?
I can accept that it's an alternate universe with different rules, but if zombies existed, wouldn't they be subject to the same basic principles as other people? That zombie that was missing her legs seemed pretty worn down, wouldn't all other zombies eventually end up like that? Eventually the population is going to greatly surpass available food sources.

I can accept that it's an alternate universe with different rules, but if zombies existed, wouldn't they be subject to the same basic principles as other people? That zombie that was missing her legs seemed pretty worn down, wouldn't all other zombies eventually end up like that? Eventually the population is going to greatly surpass available food sources.
If you noticed, the half-zombie was always alone whenever we saw here. I think the other zombies shunned her because she was different, so I assumed that her weary demeanor was caused by depression brought on by social isolation. The poor thing could barely even bring herself to make the effort to feast on human flesh. This is just another reminder we need to nurture a society that is kind and welcoming of all people: minorities, gays, the physically disabled, torso-only zombies, etc. The trauma of depression is too cruel to inflict on people who are different from us.

If you noticed, the half-zombie was always alone whenever we saw here. I think the other zombies shunned her because she was different, so I assumed that her weary demeanor was caused by depression brought on by social isolation. The poor thing could barely even bring herself to make the effort to feast on human flesh. This is just another reminder we need to nurture a society that is kind and welcoming of all people: minorities, gays, the physically disabled, torso-only zombies, etc. The trauma of depression is too cruel to inflict on people who are different from us.
Darn :unsure:

goonsquad said:
Dr. Bronner said:
So, you're fine with dead people coming back to 'life', but have a real problem with where they get their energy from? :unsure: Do you rail against Star Wars and the physics behind the light saber too?
Technically Star Wars makes no claim that it is an alternate universe. In fact, the movies tell you that these events happened "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away". As far as zombies go, I think it depends. If we're dealing with supernatural powers....there doesn't really have to deal with basic principles. IF its something more natural (like in World War Z where zombies....particularly those in tropical climates began breaking down)....then they probably should adhere to real world physics.

lol @ your 2 Victories over the Beasts of Northrend (Trial of the Crusader 25 player) you're still on last year's content?? no TOGC??? how come you're not on ICC and RS yet?? noob. :thumbup:

ETA: i definitely enjoyed the first episode - i've never read the graphic novel but felt they did a good job with the basic intro of the protagonist and backround of whats happening. i think it can be quite a difficult task with a zombie flick... :confused:

Technically Star Wars makes no claim that it is an alternate universe. In fact, the movies tell you that these events happened "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away". As far as zombies go, I think it depends. If we're dealing with supernatural powers....there doesn't really have to deal with basic principles. IF its something more natural (like in World War Z where zombies....particularly those in tropical climates began breaking down)....then they probably should adhere to real world physics.
The Walking Dead zombies don't seem supernatural, given that they can be killed with a bullet to the head. :hot:

Even the undead need energy to move, right? It seems like they're barely eating, and then they get up and walk around all night. Granted they're a bit lighter from having various pieces of their body chewed off, but there also seems to be some serious muscle atrophy as well. Help me understand.

That said, I thought it was decent.
So, you're fine with dead people coming back to 'life', but have a real problem with where they get their energy from? ;) Do you rail against Star Wars and the physics behind the light saber too?
Making the assumption that we are focusing on Romero-style zombies (as in TWD), not voodoo re-animation or 28-Days Later "Rage" (fast) zombies, the basic premise is that the undead zombie condition is the result of some sort of biological agent (virus) that infects and kills the host organism while leaving, or taking control of, only the brain's most basic and primal functions. The zombie body is "dead"; the only way to "kill" a zombie is by destroying the brain, catastrophic wounds to the body only slow them down. Their bodies are also clearly decomposing, although it is often presumed that the virus slows decomposition. Zombies do not "eat" humans for sustenance as their digestive systems are non-function and non-vital. The presumption would be that the virus slowly consumes the host body for fuel to provide limited amounts of energy for movement. This would be supported by their slow movements and shambling style of walking. Even if the host body is structurally capable of running, a Romero zombie will always be slow moving from the mooment of re-animation. So the impulse to attack humans would likely be driven by the virus in an attempt to spread (reproduce) itself before the host is fully consumed.ETA: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

lol @ your 2 Victories over the Beasts of Northrend (Trial of the Crusader 25 player) you're still on last year's content?? no TOGC??? how come you're not on ICC and RS yet?? noob. ;)

ETA: i definitely enjoyed the first episode - i've never read the graphic novel but felt they did a good job with the basic intro of the protagonist and backround of whats happening. i think it can be quite a difficult task with a zombie flick... :nerd:
Actually I have no idea what that part of my sig means. I don't play WoW. I stole it from a rather notorious former poster who had it in his.

lol @ your 2 Victories over the Beasts of Northrend (Trial of the Crusader 25 player) you're still on last year's content?? no TOGC??? how come you're not on ICC and RS yet?? noob. :coffee:

ETA: i definitely enjoyed the first episode - i've never read the graphic novel but felt they did a good job with the basic intro of the protagonist and backround of whats happening. i think it can be quite a difficult task with a zombie flick... :shrug:
Actually I have no idea what that part of my sig means. I don't play WoW. I stole it from a rather notorious former poster who had it in his.
damn. :lmao:

Dear DirecTV,AMC in high-def, please.Love,Dv
:yes: but is it DTV or AMC
DTV. I have Dish and watched it in glorious HD. It is still amazing that new shows aren't all in HD everywhere. I can't think of any new show recently that hasn't been in HD. Dish is pretty good about having all of the key networks in HD.

Strong second episode. :goodposting:

Good story and they continue to personalize the zombies which I am a fan of.

Strong second episode. :rant: Good story and they continue to personalize the zombies which I am a fan of.
:rant: I agree. I thought they were going to try and have Rick and his wife meet for the season finale, but it looks like it won't be that. The series is moving fast.and the best thing i love about it is when i take my dogs out after the show and i hear something outside and I instantly think there are some zombies outside.

I missed the first episode so I'm not up to full speed on this show but episode 2 was solid. I'll be watching next week.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the show...

I've only read the last page of this thread and already know that I'll avoid it like that zombie with the brick...some of you guys can suck the fun out of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread