What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** TOP CHEF THREAD (1 Viewer)

Bourdain did a guest entry on Colicchio's blog re:this show, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
link
http://www.bravotv.com/blog/tomcolicchio/2...letter_word.php
Yeah, this is the second one already. Maybe he'll be doing one a week. He blogs a lot on Michael Ruhlman's site too (ruhlman.com)
He's great...Ever read Kitchen Confidential?

Great book...

Bourdain did a guest entry on Colicchio's blog re:this show, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
link
http://www.bravotv.com/blog/tomcolicchio/2...letter_word.php
Yeah, this is the second one already. Maybe he'll be doing one a week. He blogs a lot on Michael Ruhlman's site too (ruhlman.com)
He's great...Ever read Kitchen Confidential?

Great book...
I've read all his books - big fan of his smarmy attitude and constant references to drugs, Hunter Thompson, poor behavior, etc. I used to work as a line cook for a short time years ago and a lot of his stuff really rings true.

TG: I liked the losing team's menu. I could not believe Tre's bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits won. Who wants shrimp and grits after you drink? Seems like he does shrimp every week.

AP: Guest judge Ted Allen may think that bacon and shrimp appeals to everyone, but not me. My husband, however -- throw in the grits and he'd have licked the plate.

TG: After drinking, I'd want sliders. Sliders and a milkshake.

AP: Where do you stand on the milkshake debate? I've never really heard of putting ice cubes in a milkshake.

TG: For that alone, Sara deserved to lose. Meanwhile, Coldstone is the worst product ever. It ain't ice cream.

AP: Never had it, but it looks kind of blobby, the way they mush it on the counter. Not particularly appealing.

TG: Mix-ins do not equal ice cream. I love that Padma called Coldstone's tasteless white base a "cream” flavor, as in, "What toppings would pair well with Coldstone's cream flavor?" What a joke.

AP: Sponsors must be appeased, I guess. Howie’s non-Cuban Cuban was a big failure. What was he thinkin?

TG: Do you think you'd have any trouble working with Howie? I don't mind him. But I am OK with arrogant jerks.

AP: I don't have issues with assertive personalities, so I don't think I'd have a problem. But then I can cook in heels, too.

TG: Yes would you believe the whining about the outfits -- both Casey and the loser, Sara. If you can't cook in the outfits, then don't go out to bars in them.

AP: She really didn't handle the disappointment well, did she?

TG: I am trying to figure out why Ted Allen, the ex Queer Guy, has become the uber food judge. He's all over the Food channel. He seems to know a lot about nothing. Except, as you said, that people like bacon.

AP: So do dogs. There, I'm an expert.

Sara was probably one of the bottom 2 or 3 from the get go. The last of the truly dead weight I think. On a side note we made howie's pork chops from show 3 and they were fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boudain's guest blog entry on Bravo's website was solid. Best turn of phrase:

It doesn’t MATTER if you think “the flavors are there”. “Flavor” counts for very little in a competition for “Top Chef” if your dish looks like something you’d find circling the bowl after a whiskey binge.

TG: I liked the losing team's menu. I could not believe Tre's bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits won. Who wants shrimp and grits after you drink? Seems like he does shrimp every week.AP: Guest judge Ted Allen may think that bacon and shrimp appeals to everyone, but not me. My husband, however -- throw in the grits and he'd have licked the plate.TG: After drinking, I'd want sliders. Sliders and a milkshake.AP: Where do you stand on the milkshake debate? I've never really heard of putting ice cubes in a milkshake.TG: For that alone, Sara deserved to lose. Meanwhile, Coldstone is the worst product ever. It ain't ice cream.AP: Never had it, but it looks kind of blobby, the way they mush it on the counter. Not particularly appealing.TG: Mix-ins do not equal ice cream. I love that Padma called Coldstone's tasteless white base a "cream” flavor, as in, "What toppings would pair well with Coldstone's cream flavor?" What a joke.AP: Sponsors must be appeased, I guess. Howie’s non-Cuban Cuban was a big failure. What was he thinkin?TG: Do you think you'd have any trouble working with Howie? I don't mind him. But I am OK with arrogant jerks.AP: I don't have issues with assertive personalities, so I don't think I'd have a problem. But then I can cook in heels, too.TG: Yes would you believe the whining about the outfits -- both Casey and the loser, Sara. If you can't cook in the outfits, then don't go out to bars in them.AP: She really didn't handle the disappointment well, did she?TG: I am trying to figure out why Ted Allen, the ex Queer Guy, has become the uber food judge. He's all over the Food channel. He seems to know a lot about nothing. Except, as you said, that people like bacon.AP: So do dogs. There, I'm an expert.Sara was probably one of the bottom 2 or 3 from the get go. The last of the truly dead weight I think. On a side note we made howie's pork chops from show 3 and they were fantastic.
i dont know who those people are in your post but they seem like #######sagree that sara needed to go but she was lookin fine last nightalso i would say that the other sarah is going to be the last of the dead weight

TG: I liked the losing team's menu. I could not believe Tre's bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits won. Who wants shrimp and grits after you drink? Seems like he does shrimp every week.

AP: Guest judge Ted Allen may think that bacon and shrimp appeals to everyone, but not me. My husband, however -- throw in the grits and he'd have licked the plate.

TG: After drinking, I'd want sliders. Sliders and a milkshake.

AP: Where do you stand on the milkshake debate? I've never really heard of putting ice cubes in a milkshake.

TG: For that alone, Sara deserved to lose. Meanwhile, Coldstone is the worst product ever. It ain't ice cream.

AP: Never had it, but it looks kind of blobby, the way they mush it on the counter. Not particularly appealing.

TG: Mix-ins do not equal ice cream. I love that Padma called Coldstone's tasteless white base a "cream” flavor, as in, "What toppings would pair well with Coldstone's cream flavor?" What a joke.

AP: Sponsors must be appeased, I guess. Howie’s non-Cuban Cuban was a big failure. What was he thinkin?

TG: Do you think you'd have any trouble working with Howie? I don't mind him. But I am OK with arrogant jerks.

AP: I don't have issues with assertive personalities, so I don't think I'd have a problem. But then I can cook in heels, too.

TG: Yes would you believe the whining about the outfits -- both Casey and the loser, Sara. If you can't cook in the outfits, then don't go out to bars in them.

AP: She really didn't handle the disappointment well, did she?

TG: I am trying to figure out why Ted Allen, the ex Queer Guy, has become the uber food judge. He's all over the Food channel. He seems to know a lot about nothing. Except, as you said, that people like bacon.

AP: So do dogs. There, I'm an expert.

Sara was probably one of the bottom 2 or 3 from the get go. The last of the truly dead weight I think. On a side note we made howie's pork chops from show 3 and they were fantastic.
i dont know who those people are in your post but they seem like #######sagree that sara needed to go but she was lookin fine last night

also i would say that the other sarah is going to be the last of the dead weight
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/aug/0...-episode-seven/

I see the final 3 being Casey Hung and either Brian or Dale. Dale hasn't done anything lately that I remember and Brian was hot early on. The last Sarah will go off tonight I think (finally) unless someone really screws up.

I think they need a non-tricked up show for once. Just give them 3 hours to do something good, not cram something in an oven, make it freeze, etc. The food has been pretty boring the last few weeks because it's been really hard for them to execute anything worth a crap.

I see the final 3 being Casey Hung and either Brian or Dale. Dale hasn't done anything lately that I remember and Brian was hot early on. The last Sarah will go off tonight I think (finally) unless someone really screws up.I think they need a non-tricked up show for once. Just give them 3 hours to do something good, not cram something in an oven, make it freeze, etc. The food has been pretty boring the last few weeks because it's been really hard for them to execute anything worth a crap.
Agree. The frozen dinner and airplane food challenges this season were particularly lame. They've cooked in a ship's galley, an airplane convection oven and a roach coach. I hope they're not saving up a railroad boxcar and can of sterno challenge for the finale.

I'm going with Casey, Hung, and Dale in the final. And I hope Casey wins. Still upset about Tre getting kicked off, though, for many reasons. ;)

I don't recall Casey showing anything before the last couple of weeks.

And what's up with the rewards? Casey gets a $4000 dollar Mac and two tickets anywhere in the world, Howie gets a bottle of wine and several others just get books?

I think Hung is the only one guaranteed to be in the final. It's pretty much a tossup among the others, although Sarah is pretty weak.

Been watching all season and I was pretty sad that CJ got knocked out. It seemed like a lot of the best chefs (Howie, CJ, Tre) got knocked out the last 3 weeks. I think Hung is the only potential 'Top Chef' that is left. Maybe Dale. I think the rest are pretty crappy though.

culdeus said:
I see the final 3 being Casey Hung and either Brian or Dale. Dale hasn't done anything lately that I remember and Brian was hot early on. The last Sarah will go off tonight I think (finally) unless someone really screws up.I think they need a non-tricked up show for once. Just give them 3 hours to do something good, not cram something in an oven, make it freeze, etc. The food has been pretty boring the last few weeks because it's been really hard for them to execute anything worth a crap.
This show was pretty good. I guess they knock off two next week perhaps and then one the final week?It's obvious the way they are cutting the show up that it's casey v hung. It's just how they get there.

TexanFan02 said:
And what's up with the rewards? Casey gets a $4000 dollar Mac and two tickets anywhere in the world, Howie gets a bottle of wine and several others just get books?
And the winner tonight gets...Nothing.

Hung is a total #####, but he appears to be a pretty good cook/chef. I like Casey, but she ain't gonna win, nor is the guy with the rooster mohawk. It's between Hung and Brian, and my money's on Hung.

They've all pretty much realized that he's got 20% more time just based on the fact that he can chop and cook faster. Since so much is dependent on time he's got a huge advantage. I wish Casey would not harp on her "lack of training" she worked for Dean Fearing for several years. It's not like she was some cruise ship line chef.

They've all pretty much realized that he's got 20% more time just based on the fact that he can chop and cook faster. Since so much is dependent on time he's got a huge advantage. I wish Casey would not harp on her "lack of training" she worked for Dean Fearing for several years. It's not like she was some cruise ship line chef.
The best part was when the cheftestants walked into the kitchen of Le Cirque and all the line cooks looked at them like they were something that had crawled up out of one of the floor drains. Brian or somebody even remarked on that. Then when Sara couldn't figure out how to work a mandeline, I'd have loved to see one of those line cooks :censored: :lmao: :lmao: .

I see the final 3 being Casey Hung and either Brian or Dale. Dale hasn't done anything lately that I remember and Brian was hot early on. The last Sarah will go off tonight I think (finally) unless someone really screws up.
:yawn:Casey takes it in the end. :banned:

Casey vs Hung in the finale.
I just don't see how it can be anyone else. With that said, I was thinking that a Tre vs CJ finale was all but assured so what do I know?
I think they will do a three person finale this year.
Shark callI wasn't crazy about the challenges for the semifinals. The QF was pretty silly as usual, but the elk was the real problem. It's an odd choice for an entree because its gaminess and leaness limits the chef's options. In the end, nobody bombed out because of the elk and it's probably fairer than the native Hawaiian ingredients in the season two finale.

Casey vs Hung in the finale.
I just don't see how it can be anyone else. With that said, I was thinking that a Tre vs CJ finale was all but assured so what do I know?
I think they will do a three person finale this year.
Shark callI wasn't crazy about the challenges for the semifinals. The QF was pretty silly as usual, but the elk was the real problem. It's an odd choice for an entree because its gaminess and leaness limits the chef's options. In the end, nobody bombed out because of the elk and it's probably fairer than the native Hawaiian ingredients in the season two finale.
Oh, b.s. Elk is very mild on the gamey side. It's just so lean that it cooks fast. Casey got caught up in that and probably had it underdone a tad, but most game cook temps are easily 20 degrees below USDA beef. Deer/Elk both need to go to about 120 and then rest. The real "gamey" comes out past medium rare. That's what they were all guarding against.

Oh, and the wife's comment that was in typical french fashion the french cook might have gotten rid of Brian just on the "choose your own cheese" thing alone as the hallmark of french cooking is that the head chef makes all the decisions for you regardless of anything else. :)

Oh, and the wife's comment that was in typical french fashion the french cook might have gotten rid of Brian just on the "choose your own cheese" thing alone as the hallmark of french cooking is that the head chef makes all the decisions for you regardless of anything else. :wub:
Absolutely...Eric Ripert HATED that aspect...Actually, I think he hated both smothering the flavors (all eight billion of them) of his dish with the strong/pungent cheese on top of it, and the whole "choose your own cheese" thing...This ain't a salad buffet at Sizzler...

Oh, and the wife's comment that was in typical french fashion the french cook might have gotten rid of Brian just on the "choose your own cheese" thing alone as the hallmark of french cooking is that the head chef makes all the decisions for you regardless of anything else. :shrug:
Absolutely...Eric Ripert HATED that aspect...Actually, I think he hated both smothering the flavors (all eight billion of them) of his dish with the strong/pungent cheese on top of it, and the whole "choose your own cheese" thing...This ain't a salad buffet at Sizzler...
Yeah, and french cooking is all about the sauce. I didn't really see a sauce with his except the "jus" or maybe that was someone elses. You have to know your judges in this one.

I'm setting the oddsHung +140Casey +180Dale +600
I suspect that Casey wins because Hung is an arrogant tool and Chef Tom Colichio and TPTB of Top Chef dont want him to win. I also think they want a chick to win since guys have won season 2 and 3 and Casey isn't an awful chef.

I was at Shen Sei last night which is where the other (lady) chef from Dallas works. They were watching the show upstairs and she was there. I am friends with some of the people who work there and although they told me that she hasn't and can't tell anyone who won, blah , blah, blah - rumor has it from that she made it to the top 3 but the gent from Abacus did not. Like I said it was an unconfirmed rumor...take what you want from it. Both are good places to eat though - I have never been disappointed by either. Love the lobster shooters from Abacus.
This was spot on btw. I can't believe I have been sucked into a reality TV show, but I am a sucker for cooking. Its Hung or Casey tonight. While Dale pulled off a good dish last week, he is not in the same league as the other two. I think its going to Casey.

Funny quote from Anthony Bourdain on Casey, and how the judges often comment that her food has "heart" and/or "soul":

Got it now, conspiracy theorists? "Heart" does not mean "nice rack". "Soul" does not mean "looks like Jennifer Aniston". The woman is GOOD. How many times does she have to prove it? Give her the respect she deserves.

I still like Hung a little better to win, but I wouldn't mind if Casey got it. I think Hung would appreciate it more.

Good finale, I think they got the right winner.

I won't name names, because some may not have watched it yet, but I will say I was a little surprised at who came in last.

Good finale, I think they got the right winner. I won't name names, because some may not have watched it yet, but I will say I was a little surprised at who came in last.
I was more surprised at who came in second. I figured the other one would.Also, how hot was Padma last night? YOWZA! :thumbup:

Good finale, I think they got the right winner. I won't name names, because some may not have watched it yet, but I will say I was a little surprised at who came in last.
I was more surprised at who came in second. I figured the other one would.Also, how hot was Padma last night? YOWZA! :confused:
Padma is my dream woman. She looked fantastic, as always. I thought the winner was expected and largely deserving. This was a better season than last year's. Was the live finale this year a first? If so, I like it conceptually. I thought they could have done more with it...

Users who are viewing this thread