What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (3 Viewers)

I was listening to The Athletic's Football GM Podcast with Randy Mueller and Mike Sando today, and they were kind of crapping on Washington. Their point was that after a quarter century of Snyder where people were constantly leaking to advance their own agendas, it seemed like they had righted the ship with the quick and decisive move to sign Peters, one of the top GM candidates. But suddenly with the whole Ben Johnson mess they were right back to leaking stuff about him asking for $15M or whatever.

Not saying they're necessarily right about all that, but it does give one pause. Although Sando also pointed out that historically, there's no correlation between teams that get the first hire, or the last one, or the "hot" one, etc.

My attitude is that we have no idea how these things will eventually turn out -- other than that there is a very high probability that any newly hired HC will get fired within 3-4 years -- so I'm not going to prematurely freak out over Quinn. I am getting a little worried about who he's going to bring in as OC, though

Just because they were on a plane to see Johnson doesn't mean they wanted him. In fact, maybe it means they weren't so sure of him. They already had an interview online with him. They could have signed him without going to Detroit. It's just as likely they weren't overly impressed with the online interview, and wanted to talk to him in person. We will never know what happened during this process because a good organization doesn't dwell on it. They pick the best available and move forward.

Anyway, much like the last post says ... in real life, sometimes what you wanted wouldn't have worked out. Heck, I was crazy about a girl at age 22 and she ditched me. She ended up a total mess of an alcoholic. Who knew. Got lucky and maybe we did with Quinn.

The media loves to find things to pick at. Time to move on and think about the draft while Peters and Quinn build this coaching staff.

The number thing I want to see other than the draft is how the guys already on the roster perform. Hardly any of them exceeded their expectations under Ron. Maybe Forbes and others are better than we've seen because they were poorly coached. I have a feeling that is the case. Even if Ron picked too early on Forbes, Dotson, Davis, etc ... they were still projected top 30 picks. Interested to see if a new coach will bring their games to a higher level.

Mike Garofolo said Ben Johnson didn't interview well with some teams and that's why he chose to stay in Detroit.

Seems like Johnson and the Commanders are in a leak war. Whatever the truth of all the stories are, it’s monumentally stupid on both sides. Future candidates who interview with Washington, and future teams who interview Johnson, will wonder if there’s any truth to what they read in the press. Nobody gains from that. Why not just take the high road?

“I really enjoyed meeting the Commanders, but I decided I wanted to finish what I started in Detroit.”

“We appreciate the loyalty Ben showed to his team and wish him well next year.”

Last edited:
So Kingsbury...should we be cheering for him? I can't really remember how his offense was perceived in Arizona.
I’m not very excited. What I remember was him being very unimaginative. For example, running DHop out of the same formation all the time instead of scheming to get him open. Also, his teams would typically start hot and then turtle, possibly because teams would figure him out?

Good or bad, Kingsbury has by far the lowest pre-snap motion of any recent offensive coach. The trend is to have more. I think MIA and KC have the highest. PFF keeps the stats but I don't have access. The idea obviously being to get defenses out of their base defense which is typically modified nickel or man. Kingsburg is more about WRs crossing each other to create separation. And mostly a single set RB. I could see this benefitting Dotson and McLauren. And we don't need to get a TE though I'd love Ja'tavion Sanders in like Rd 3. Brian Robinson probably benefits more than Rodriquez. Oddly enough, Howell would likely perform well in this type of offense. Spreading the field spreads the DL which would help with is vision being a shorter QB. And he can run, which is another part of Kingsbury's offense. QB draws against a M2M D.

Last edited:
I was listening to The Athletic's Football GM Podcast with Randy Mueller and Mike Sando today, and they were kind of crapping on Washington. Their point was that after a quarter century of Snyder where people were constantly leaking to advance their own agendas, it seemed like they had righted the ship with the quick and decisive move to sign Peters, one of the top GM candidates. But suddenly with the whole Ben Johnson mess they were right back to leaking stuff about him asking for $15M or whatever. Not saying they're necessarily right about all that, but it does give one pause. ...
This report about Johnson's asking price was originally circulated by Josina Anderson. After which Johnson's agent is put on the defensive & depicts the report as rumor & irresponsible reporting. But Anderson then gets specific and cites sources familiar with the "preliminary talks" regarding the Carolina opening & owner David Tepper. Now, relevant here is that this story came out this past December, just before Christmas. The bad interview with Washington was just recently. These guys on the podcast, is it revealed how they're making this link? Perhaps if they said Washington, they meant Carolina?

So Kingsbury...should we be cheering for him? I can't really remember how his offense was perceived in Arizona.
I’m not very excited. What I remember was him being very unimaginative. For example, running DHop out of the same formation all the time instead of scheming to get him open. Also, his teams would typically start hot and then turtle, possibly because teams would figure him out?
Your last point can apply to Luke Getsy also.

The Raiders going from hiring KK to not hiring him to hiring Getsy is hilarious.

"What do you want for dinner tonight?
"Steak!"
"No, we're having meatloaf."
"Ugh, I guess."
"Never mind, we're out of meatloaf."
"Awesome! Steak?"
"How about franks and beans?"

I was listening to The Athletic's Football GM Podcast with Randy Mueller and Mike Sando today, and they were kind of crapping on Washington. Their point was that after a quarter century of Snyder where people were constantly leaking to advance their own agendas, it seemed like they had righted the ship with the quick and decisive move to sign Peters, one of the top GM candidates. But suddenly with the whole Ben Johnson mess they were right back to leaking stuff about him asking for $15M or whatever. Not saying they're necessarily right about all that, but it does give one pause. ...
This report about Johnson's asking price was originally circulated by Josina Anderson. After which Johnson's agent is put on the defensive & depicts the report as rumor & irresponsible reporting. But Anderson then gets specific and cites sources familiar with the "preliminary talks" regarding the Carolina opening & owner David Tepper. Now, relevant here is that this story came out this past December, just before Christmas. The bad interview with Washington was just recently. These guys on the podcast, is it revealed how they're making this link? Perhaps if they said Washington, they meant Carolina?
Yeah, I wasn't understanding how they were connecting the $15m to Washington after Johnson pulled his name out because I thought that number had been out there for a while.

Yeah, I wasn't understanding how they were connecting the $15m to Washington after Johnson pulled his name out because I thought that number had been out there for a while.
Maybe I misstated what they said on the podcast? Main point was that Washington was clearly leaking stuff about Johnson, whatever the details.

I work with his brothers ex-wife.

So weird.

At this point I don't care about Johnson or speculating on anything. We should all get behind the new staff, and whether they were the sexiest biggest potential splash hires or not, I am very confident they wlll be better than the mess we had with burned out Ron and Del Rio and EB. Like someone said earlier, we can only go up from here. This draft and FA period is going to be huge for the franchise. We have to get things right. I do have a lot of confidence in our GM, so I'm feeling pretty positive overall. I just hope we don't give up picks to move up to 1.1. I'd rather sit or move back that move up.

So pumped hearing Quinn's press conference. I'll run through my own living room wall during a game for this guy.
He’s definitely a great players coach.
I don’t think he’s that great when it comes to scheming for the better teams (defensively)
He tends to divulge way too much information/talks way too much, and sometimes will get into the weeds regarding scheme.

Hopefully he’s learned a lot from the mistakes he’s made.

At this point I don't care about Johnson or speculating on anything. We should all get behind the new staff, and whether they were the sexiest biggest potential splash hires or not, I am very confident they wlll be better than the mess we had with burned out Ron and Del Rio and EB. Like someone said earlier, we can only go up from here. This draft and FA period is going to be huge for the franchise. We have to get things right. I do have a lot of confidence in our GM, so I'm feeling pretty positive overall. I just hope we don't give up picks to move up to 1.1. I'd rather sit or move back that move up.
I don't care about Johnson per se, but I really hope this was all a misunderstanding and we don't have people continuing the Snyder-era tradition of trying to advance their own agendas through the media. It's dumb and destructive when we see it in politics, but it's a million times dumber in sports, when "narratives" are meaningless and the only thing that actually matters is your win-loss record

So pumped hearing Quinn's press conference. I'll run through my own living room wall during a game for this guy.
He’s definitely a great players coach.
I don’t think he’s that great when it comes to scheming for the better teams (defensively)
He tends to divulge way too much information/talks way too much, and sometimes will get into the weeds regarding scheme.

Hopefully he’s learned a lot from the mistakes he’s made.
This is my overall hope with Quinn. He evolved a lot when he took the Dallas job (obviously, it helped to have players like Diggs and Parsons). Too many coaches get stuck in their ways; I hope he'll continue to improve. And I hope some of that rubs off on Kingsbury, too

I liked what I heard from the press conference. They really seem to all be on the same page, and generally excited about the future. And again, there is valid reason for optimism with the draft picks and cap space they have. I honestly think we had the worst coaching in the entire league between Ron/Del Rio and EB. So we have nowhere to go but up with this new staff.

They also hired Joe Whitt as defensive coordinator. Was the Cowboys secondary coach and passing game coordinator.
Whitt will do the defensive playcalling according to The Eskimo.

They're making no front office changes until after the draft, unless they add someone. It's wise to do that.

John Keim
@john_keim
Adam Peters on the front office: "I don't foresee making any changes throughout the draft process. I'm happy with what we have now."
--------------------------
edited to add
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
Adam Peters says he got to meet the Commanders full college scouting staff during the Senior Bowl and doesnt expect to make any changes during this draft process

Grant Paulsen
@granthpaulsen

It's been four days and I'm still getting unsolicited Dan Quinn endorsements from people around the NFL. Say what you want about the Quinn hire but few guys have a higher approval rating in the game. I'm taken aback as to how beloved he is among NFL players and coaches

It's been four days and I'm still getting unsolicited Dan Quinn endorsements from people around the NFL. Say what you want about the Quinn hire but few guys have a higher approval rating in the game. I'm taken aback as to how beloved he is among NFL players and coaches
As mentioned, Quinn ran that Seahawks Defense that went to the SB, was the HC for Atlanta's run & has done very well in Dallas. We don't know if Quinn agreed to bring in Kingsbury or, he sold them given the options at QB. Who would know Caleb Williams better than his head coach? But besides that, according to John Kiem there are strong ties between Kingsbury & Phil Longo, who coached both Drake Maye & Sam Howell at UNC. Both of course are proponents of the Air-Raid offense. Hiring Kingsbury makes sense if you're looking at Williams, Maye or if they're considering Howell. Likely what they're going to determine in the next few months.

THRY ARE BACK!! :)

I am still in the "draft a QB at #2" camp, but Kingsbury's scheme fits Howell well. That opens up options if someone offers a haul for the pick. Assuming he runs the air raid offense or 10 personnel formation, to me the QB is less important but needs to be able to run. Which Howell does. And the decisions are very easy. Ball comes out quick. Will be interesting to see how this draft goes. I could see this pick traded if Caleb goes #1. I also have my eyes on Michael Pratt as a sleeper mid round QB pick. Accurate and Peters might be thinking he's a Brock Purdy type since SF did better with building a roster to make the QB look good, rather than the opposite. Kinda the same if they kept Howell. Get WRs and RBs that can make a difference with their speed. And a nasty LT. And that all makes the QB look better.

Last edited:
Who would know Caleb Williams better than his head coach?
Kingsbury wasn't the HC (or even the OC) for USC last year. I believe his title was "offensive analyst". And Williams, along the with the entire USC offense, regressed.

That doesn't automatically make KK a bad hire, especially since I don't know how big of a role he played. But it certainly isn't a point in his favor.

In any event, I'd be shocked if Williams doesn't go No. 1, to the Bears or someone else

Kingsbury wasn't the HC (or even the OC) for USC last year. I believe his title was "offensive analyst". And Williams, along the with the entire USC offense, regressed. That doesn't automatically make KK a bad hire, especially since I don't know how big of a role he played. But it certainly isn't a point in his favor. In any event, I'd be shocked if Williams doesn't go No. 1, to the Bears or someone else
Appreciate the correction, an assumption on my part based on Kiem's tweet. Still, I think the connection between these three QBs & Kingsbury have everything to do with him being hired. I've read that Williams grew up in the D.C. area & a big fan. The stars, the multiple SB stars are aligning people! ha-ha. Seriously, this could work. If the Bears, Commanders & Broncos perhaps can work something out, it may not cost Washington a ton to move up one spot, with Chicago gaining more by moving back a 2nd time.

Like when the Eagles had to settle for Doug Pedersen who was probably their third choice. Went on to win a Superbowl.

I will continue to hope that Caleb Williams does nothing to diminish his stock between now and Draft Day, so that the Bears, or some other Team they partner with in trade, selects him, and the WFT does not.

I didn't enjoy when Robert Griffin the 3rd transitioned into RG3.

I enjoyed Duane Haskins (RIP) when he was playing here in my backyard (Bullis Prep), and at Ohio St., but not what he transitioned into after being drafted.

I don't care how talented Caleb Williams is, if he comes with a sideshow that could develop into a freakshow.

Just MHO, based on what I've read and observed, I firmly believe that CW has the kind of issues beyond his football skills that I don't personally care for. I want this franchise, in the state it's currently in, to have nothing to do with any players I feel are lacking positive intangibles. Or appear, to me, to be narcissistic, to lack maturity and mental fortitude. Glad to let another Team, in a more advanced stage of development, invest in the means that I feel it will take to mine that potential pot of gold.

...and before anyone jumps to conclusions, I have no issues with Jacoby Brissett. I liked Jason Campbell just fine, and Donovan McNabb himself, as well, despite his being washed as a QB by the time he arrived here. Tony Banks didn't rub me the wrong way, and I absolutely loved Doug Williams. Didn't care much for headcase Jeff George's personality, but at least he was an establiished NFL starting QB, with a body of work and possibly the most powerful cannon to ever play pro football.
Thank you very much.

...and before anyone jumps to conclusions, I have no issues with Jacoby Brissett. I liked Jason Campbell just fine, and Donovan McNabb himself, as well, despite his being washed as a QB by the time he arrived here. Tony Banks didn't rub me the wrong way, and I absolutely loved Doug Williams. Didn't care much for headcase Jeff George's personality, but at least he was an establiished NFL starting QB, with a body of work and possibly the most powerful cannon to ever play pro football.
Thank you very much.
Funny story (at least to me): I was 13 when Williams won his Super Bowl. I wouldn't say I disliked him, but I wasn't a huge fan, for reasons having nothing to do with race. Since before Williams even joined the team, I absolutely loved Jay Schroeder. I honestly can't remember why, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit it now, but from the moment he came in to replace Theismann in the broken-leg game vs the Giants, I liked him.

Some of you may remember the way the Broncos Super Bowl played out: Denver dominated the first quarter and was up 10-0. Near the end of the quarter, Williams was briefly injured and Schroeder came in for like one or two plays. I thought, "Here's his chance!" Then Williams came back out for the second quarter and the rest is history. It was only after the game that I truly appreciated the historic nature of what he accomplished, and also that Washington had clearly made the right decision benching Schroeder for Williams.

I will continue to hope that Caleb Williams does nothing to diminish his stock between now and Draft Day, so that the Bears, or some other Team they partner with in trade, selects him, and the WFT does not.

I didn't enjoy when Robert Griffin the 3rd transitioned into RG3.

I enjoyed Duane Haskins (RIP) when he was playing here in my backyard (Bullis Prep), and at Ohio St., but not what he transitioned into after being drafted.

I don't care how talented Caleb Williams is, if he comes with a sideshow that could develop into a freakshow.

Just MHO, based on what I've read and observed, I firmly believe that CW has the kind of issues beyond his football skills that I don't personally care for. I want this franchise, in the state it's currently in, to have nothing to do with any players I feel are lacking positive intangibles. Or appear, to me, to be narcissistic, to lack maturity and mental fortitude. Glad to let another Team, in a more advanced stage of development, invest in the means that I feel it will take to mine that potential pot of gold.

Thank you very much.

It's a valid point. I saw a stat that showed how poorly local players do when drafted by their home professional team. I can't find the article which is annoying. But as a whole, it's less than a 10% success rate when a 1st - 3rd round pick is drafted to an area they have ties to. The conclusion was the inability to focus only on football plus the extra pressure off the field (friends, tickets, etc) makes it tougher for the player. With Chase Young, Haskins, Stroman, and others we have seen it a bit here. Jon Allen seems to have done fine but he also is a bit of a loner by his own admission. It's clearly tougher on the player and they likely don't even know it because they know no different.

I like Caleb I like Drake.. I like Jayden. I'm not going to judge any of them based on hearsay. On tape they all have awesome attributes. The press loves to create friction. It sells and always has. The fact is I trust the new leadership structure to make a good decision. I'm 100% sure Peters, Quinn, and Kingbury are going through Howell's tape. Every play all the way back to UNC. Because if Howell is somehow good enough in their book, it really opens up all kinds of options. They could get a lot of picks and they have a lot of holes to fill. And a lot of money to spend in FA. To me it's important that Peters last club made some excellent FA/trade acquisitions. McCaffrey. Trent W. And honestly that's the best way to upgrade a team. The draft is a crapshoot. Free agency you should know what you are getting. but it's clear they went with speed on the outside, and toughness on the inside.

Coaching staff so far

HC - Quinn
OC - Kingsbury
DC - Joe Whitt Jr
STC - Izzo
OL - Bobby Johnson
QBs - Tavita Pritchard
TEs - David Raih
LBs - Ken Norton Jr.
Defensive Passing Game Coach - Jason Simmons
Pass Rush Specialist - Ryan Kerrigan
Senior Defensive Assistant - John Pagano
TBD - Brian Johnson

Yeah, I mean, I have been cool with all the coach hires so far but this Bobby Johnson move was a real head scratcher. I know he had experience coaching Bills OL before NYG and that's where he and Dabol worked together. I suppose the lines were a bit better there but even what I've read of his time there, he wasn't a real needle mover. I don't think he was our first choice to coach the line either. I seem to remember that Quinn was trying to hire Dallas TE coach as the offensive line coach but Jerry blocked him.

I think my concerns with this iffy hire are 1.) we don't have a good offensive line currently so we need major help, 2.) we are likely to have multiple new offensive linemen, including rookies who need to be coached up in a new scheme and 3.) Offensive line coach is probably the most important "non-coordinator" coaching position.

Someone talk me off the ledge here. Why should I not believe that this hire can seriously compromise our rebuilding process? We have seen the past few years what happens when you fail on the offensive line...it can literally torpedo the entire team.

Because he dealt with a TON of injuries. Which put them into backups that were awful. Which will happen again here. it's the nature of the position. These guys roll knees and all kinds of things. And they are carrying 320+ lbs. But the NYG's were not prepared from a roster perspective for it. They had no depth.

I'm more worried about getting the players to run these schemes. I don't see it happening in 1 year.

Defensively ... Quinn runs a cover 1, 2, and 3 (86% of DAL's call last year). They are simple concepts. No big nickel , dime or big dime. No odd packages. His goal is to disguise them pre-snap to fool the QB. And it works pretty well. But requires 3 LBs, of which 1 needs to play in a gap on the line. I'm not sure we have even 1 LB that is good. Maybe they can move Davis to be the gap LB, pick up a guy in the draft, and get one in FA. Because unlike Ron's 4 man front, this is now a 5 man front. But Davis is so far from Micah Parsons they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. And the CBs better be quick. I could see it helping Forbes. It might hurt St Juste and Fuller.

Offensively with Kingsbury they need WRs that can win at the LoS. There are lots of crossing concepts and not much pre-snap movement. Get open quick. After Terry, Jahan, and assuming they keeping him Samuel ... they still need 1 more. Maybe a Ladd McConkey type in round 3 or something. Someone with lots of wiggle. They really don't need a TE in this scheme, which is good becasue we don't have one. I guess Ja'Tavion Sanders is almost like a WR and will be there round 2 or 3. And the concepts open up running lanes for QBs which is perfect for Caleb, Drake, Jayden, or Howell . All have running skills. I don't know what he needs on OL. I assume quicker ones than we have. We obviously have major issues there. I doubt they can be fixed in 1 offseason.

I obviously want a QB, but I did some mocks for the hell of it and trading down really helps a lot. If for instance you can drop from 2 to 8 in a swap with ATL, get a 1st next year, and an extra 2nd rounder this year...all kinds of options open up. One of the top 3 QBs could fall, a LT will be available, DE available, maybe Malik Nabers. There will be a number of QBs there in round 2, along with LB and OL. It's all on Peters at this point. His first offseason is super important given the quality of this draft

Last edited:
A bunch more hirings.

Lance Newmark, Assistant GM
Martin Mayhew moved down to senior personnel executive/advisor to the G.M
Marty Hurney moved down to advisor
Darryl Tapp as defensive line coach
Anthony Lynn as run game coordinator
Tom Donatell as defensive backs coach
Bobby Ingram remains wide receivers coach
Sharrif Floyd, assistant defensive line coach

They're raiding the 49'ers and Cowboys front offices, which is not a bad idea.

Quinn has put together one hell of a coaching staff. And getting Newmark as AGM seems like a really strong move. We haven’t had this kind of talent and structure in the front office and coaching staff since Gibbs 1.0 was here.

This thing is getting turned around big time and every single one of us deserve the good times that lie ahead. I can’t wait for free agency and especially the draft.

Glad to hear this.

The identity of the next quarterback is an open question and Kingsbury indicated that it will impact his overall offensive philosophy. While his background includes working with the pass-heavy Air Raid scheme, Kingsbury noted his Arizona teams didn’t rank at the top of the league in pass percentage and said any offensive plans will be designed around the personnel on hand.

“First and foremost, being able to adapt to your personnel, do what you do best and don’t ask them to do things they can’t do. . . . We want to be balanced, we want to be able to run the football and play-action pass and really do whatever it takes to win,” Kingsbury said. “The Air Raid deal — I’m honored to be a pair of that because it was Mike Leach and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. I wouldn’t categorize anything we do under that name.”

Kingsbury also said that any offense has to avoid stagnation by continually evolving to make sure they can stay ahead of defenses. The ultimate choice at quarterback will play a big role in that effort in Washington in 2024 and beyond.

One of the more interesting articles I've read in awhile about the Commanders, about how their coaching staff comes from all over the place instead of all being from the same "coaching tree" or having worked together before.

Archived link

This tact veers wildly from the previous setup where most coaches worked together or had formidable links.
The straightforward approach on defense would be for Quinn and Whitt to implement the plan that helped Dallas rank fifth in points and yards allowed last season. Or for Kingsbury, the Arizona Cardinals’ head coach from 2019 to 2022, to load up his staff with various disciples from previous stops. But this Washington brain trust, including first-year general manager Adam Peters, sought a big tent worth of ideas rather than gather assistants with similar experiences.

If the Commanders decide to draft one of the top 3 QBs, what would type of draft pick would the team want for Sam Howell? I like him better than any QB available in the 3rd round of this years draft. If I was the GM for the Vikings, I would be offering a 4th rounder only because we don't have a 3rd this year.

I mean Trey Lance went to Dallas for a 4th rounder but he also had a large contract that they decided to picked up.

Users who are viewing this thread