What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

The Redskins were booed off the field at halftime, though the thousands of Giants fans here should be applauding them. Washington played an abysmal half of football in trailing 34-0 at halftime. The Redskins have just two first downs and 51 total yards. They committed seven penalties for 75 yards. The defense consistently breaks down -- and they're the healthy side of the ball. Their lack of discipline has been astounding over the last month or so. It results in missed run gaps, missed assignments and wide open receivers. And it results in getting blown out by a team that entered 4-8.
https://twitter.com/john_keim?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

There is nothing more that i would like than for Bruce to be fired.  i simply dont believe the team will move forward in any productive way with him still here.  Get a proper GM in and lets rebuild.  Maybe not the defense.  Can we get Scott back?
Odd that you ask that. An hour ago I decided to post 2 questions to you guys here:

1. How would the Redskins be doing now if Vinnie Cerrato never left?

2. How would the Redskins be doing now if McCloughan was still here and Allen had been fired?

As long as Allen is here, he'll undercut anyone and everyone here with any authority, in order to protect his (Allen's) job. And he sucks at his job.

Odd that you ask that. An hour ago I decided to post 2 questions to you guys here:

1. How would the Redskins be doing now if Vinnie Cerrato never left?

2. How would the Redskins be doing now if McCloughan was still here and Allen had been fired?

As long as Allen is here, he'll undercut anyone and everyone here with any authority, in order to protect his (Allen's) job. And he sucks at his job.
I really thought Scott was building something.  but Bruce couldn't leave well alone.  I think we are in a much better position if he was able to have full reign and do what he wanted. 

As for Vinnie... good question.  at the time i felt it was his time.  But its not like anything changed after he was gone. 

As for Vinnie... good question.  at the time i felt it was his time.  But its not like anything changed after he was gone. 
Things did change, actually. They sounded and looked better, and overall were even worse.

I hate what this team has sunk to.

I know you guys are down in the dumps but this is what happens when you lose your starting QB and half your line.

You guys were in first place for much of the season and with a little help at receiver, a heathy line, the duo of ADP and Guice and you’ll be very good. 

The Alex Smith Injury is a major setback and will hinder you guys but of you can pull off a good pick or trade you’ll be fine.

I know you guys are down in the dumps but this is what happens when you lose your starting QB and half your line.

You guys were in first place for much of the season and with a little help at receiver, a heathy line, the duo of ADP and Guice and you’ll be very good. 

The Alex Smith Injury is a major setback and will hinder you guys but of you can pull off a good pick or trade you’ll be fine.
This was my mentality until the perfectly healthy defense just made the Giants offense without Beckham look like the world beaters. 

PinkydaPimp said:
I really thought Scott was building something.  but Bruce couldn't leave well alone.  I think we are in a much better position if he was able to have full reign and do what he wanted. 

Scott wanted to build an offense around Matt Jones and Josh Doctson. No thanks. 

Reggie McKenzie just fired by the Raiders...

Wouldn't life be grand if we could hire McKenzie/McCarthy, and ship both Bruce and Jay out to Oakland?

A man can dream. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that when it comes to the Redskins, karma just doesn't work that way.

With the Vikings loss, the Redskins are still only 1/2 game back for the second wild card spot.  Many may say it’s pointless with a forth string QB but at least try for gosh sakes...

With the Vikings loss, the Redskins are still only 1/2 game back for the second wild card spot.  Many may say it’s pointless with a forth string QB but at least try for gosh sakes...
I wanted to win in Sunday. A lot. #### the Giants. You play to win the game. Win win win. I'm in. Win. But.... Fuuuuuuuuck. That was brutal. Last in the division is last. Lose to the Jaguars next week and we might be the first team on the clock that wants a QB. 

We need to keep our eyes on the prize, which is making sure we have a QB who knows the system.

$29 million? No thanks.

That being said, Minnesota had golden opportunities to get back into this one. The Vikings punted just once in the second half, but turned the ball over twice on downs -- including at Seattle's 1-yard line down six points when Cousins missed two wide-open options on an incomplete attempt to Kyle Rudolph in the back of the end zone-- had a 47-yard field-goal attempt blocked by Wagner and fell victim to a game-sealing strip-six in the final three minutes. It's the second consecutive poor performance in the home of a playoff contender for this Vikings offense, as the team fell to 0-7 against teams currently above .500. The defeat also turns up the heat on Cousins, the $84 million man who looked flustered in the face of Seattle's pass rush from the get-go en route to his league-worst 13th prime-time loss in 18 career attempts.

We need to keep our eyes on the prize, which is making sure we have a QB who knows the system.
I believe we need to think about taking a QB first in the upcoming draft.  Smith is most likely done, Colt is not the answer, and we can’t even afford to go the FA route  with Smith’s contract on the books.

That said, that QB will be playing with a lot of guys on the roster right now.  We need to build a culture of fighting and winning and not giving up now.  You don’t build that by tanking and looking to next year.  You build that by trying to win now.  Next year will come and we will have to make personnel decisions then.  But now we need to try to win, just because you have to want to win...

Yeah, Kirk is who we thought he was.  The announcers said that the Vikings even lead the league in allowing defensive scores.  The thing is, they should probably be 6-7 like us but a costly Cousins turnover was erased by a bogus roughing call.  That team was 13-3 with Case Keenum last year.

As for the Skins we might have been better this year overall with Kirk but he continues to make mistakes in key moments and it’s possible he’ll just never be that guy to take you from good to great.

i think it’s time to draft a QB next year and think they’ll be one there for us, no tanking required...

Yeah, Kirk is who we thought he was.  The announcers said that the Vikings even lead the league in allowing defensive scores.  The thing is, they should probably be 6-7 like us but a costly Cousins turnover was erased by a bogus roughing call.  That team was 13-3 with Case Keenum last year.

As for the Skins we might have been better this year overall with Kirk but he continues to make mistakes in key moments and it’s possible he’ll just never be that guy to take you from good to great.

i think it’s time to draft a QB next year and think they’ll be one there for us, no tanking required...
Oh no need to tank.  We will lose the rest of the games giving our all!

I believe we need to think about taking a QB first in the upcoming draft.  Smith is most likely done, Colt is not the answer, and we can’t even afford to go the FA route  with Smith’s contract on the books.

That said, that QB will be playing with a lot of guys on the roster right now.  We need to build a culture of fighting and winning and not giving up now.  You don’t build that by tanking and looking to next year.  You build that by trying to win now.  Next year will come and we will have to make personnel decisions then.  But now we need to try to win, just because you have to want to win...
Agree with your recommendations, but I was just making a Kaepernick joke. 

I have to say, I've been following the whole Kaep story for the past couple years at some level of remove. I thought he was clearly being blackballed (whether it was organized collusion by the league or just a bunch of crotchety old white-guy owners who independently came to the same decision), but I also wasn't really inclined to go to the mats for a backup-level talent. For example, when the Texans were rolling out Tom Savage last year, it was clear that Kaep would have been a better option, but their season was lost regardless, so did it really matter which QB was getting pounded on a weekly basis?

With Washington, however, it's different. At the moment Smith went down, their playoff chances took a hit, but they still had a decent shot (especially given how terrible the bottom half of the NFC bracket is looking). I am entirely realistic about Kaepernick's talent level, but to say he wouldn't give them a better chance to win than Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson insults our collective intelligence. So here we have a team that is consciously throwing away a playoff spot because of some combination of the owner's conservatism or fear of a tweet from the White House. The fact that this same franchise had no qualms about signing Reuben Foster makes it even worse.

Leave aside all the politics. Just from a pure football standpoint I find the whole situation appalling.

I have to say, I've been following the whole Kaep story for the past couple years at some level of remove. I thought he was clearly being blackballed (whether it was organized collusion by the league or just a bunch of crotchety old white-guy owners who independently came to the same decision), but I also wasn't really inclined to go to the mats for a backup-level talent. For example, when the Texans were rolling out Tom Savage last year, it was clear that Kaep would have been a better option, but their season was lost regardless, so did it really matter which QB was getting pounded on a weekly basis?

With Washington, however, it's different. At the moment Smith went down, their playoff chances took a hit, but they still had a decent shot (especially given how terrible the bottom half of the NFC bracket is looking). I am entirely realistic about Kaepernick's talent level, but to say he wouldn't give them a better chance to win than Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson insults our collective intelligence. So here we have a team that is consciously throwing away a playoff spot because of some combination of the owner's conservatism or fear of a tweet from the White House. The fact that this same franchise had no qualms about signing Reuben Foster makes it even worse.

Leave aside all the politics. Just from a pure football standpoint I find the whole situation appalling.
Yeah, in hindsight it's hard to imagine Kaep doing worse than Sanchez.  If anything, Sanchez was far worse than I expected.  He looked rattled almost immediately.  Josh Johnson looked better, but it was in garbage time, probably against backups, and no one had game planned for him.  But, we'll see what he can do against JAX.  I will be rooting for the dude for sure.  If he pulls out some wins, maybe he'll at least get a Madden endorsement deal...

I will say, if the team really thought Kaep gave them a better chance to win than Sanchez, and they didn't do it, then that's firing offense right there.  It's true what you say about playoff odds.  Consider the fact that if the Redskins had one just ONE of the FOUR games they've lost in a row, they would have the second wild card seed!  And that's how close they STILL are.  There is so much talk about the season being over, but if we had any faith in QB at all, there would be a punchers chance.  Now, I'm not predicting playoffs or anything -- that would be foolish -- but you don't just lay down on the tracks when you are only 1/2 game back.  You try to win one game at a time and just see what happens.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now.  We have to go all in on Josh Johnson.  He looked fine to me last week -- with all the caveats given -- and I do like the fact that he is mobile...he used that to good advantage.  Just gotta hope dude can piece together enough plays this Sunday.  Jacksonville has a strong defense but not a dynamic offense, so maybe if Josh can engineer 2 TDs and a FG we can steal it?

Crossing fingers they lose every game for a better draft pick. I’d love for Daniel Jones to be our first pick. He has all the tools and Cutcliff knows a thing or two about developing Super Bowl MVP Quarterbacks. 

I think Kaepernick should be considered a fringe starter, someone when starting always has someone battling for his job.  Like Tyrod Taylor and Fitzpatrick.  If Smith cannot play next year, the Redskins are probably looking at Taylor or Fitzpatrick as their staring QB and drafting a QB in the draft.

I think Kaepernick should be considered a fringe starter, someone when starting always has someone battling for his job.  Like Tyrod Taylor and Fitzpatrick.  If Smith cannot play next year, the Redskins are probably looking at Taylor or Fitzpatrick as their staring QB and drafting a QB in the draft.
Oh, I'm fairly confident they can find someone as good as or better than Kaep for next year. But given what was out there last month on the FA market, not signing him ahead of Sanchez and Johnson was absolute malpractice (though contra @MikeApf, I don't think it was a fireable offense because I suspect the order came from the top). Hell, I still think they should sign him, given that despite the losing streak they're not yet eliminated. But it's clearly not going to happen, so I'm mentally writing off this season and comforting myself with memories of that year Todd Collins led the team to the playoffs.

Why wait?
I could be mistaken, but I think Snyder has been quoted as saying he made a mistake with his timing of firing Norv. There are some similarities to that 2000 season and this season. I know some will disagree with me, but I think the team's focus should still be on the playoffs and I doubt firing Jay right now helps with that.

PinkydaPimp said:
Just watched A football life Doug Williams.  i have chills.  He is the reason i'm a Redskins fan. 
That was great. And it was so interesting to see that in the Schroeder vs. Williams QB controversy, the O Line was all in for Williams. It wasn't a white-black thing, as Jacoby and Bostic were the ones most strongly for Williams. It was about wanting to play for the QB that they thought could win. I see the same thing playing out in Baltimore right now - the O line has clearly rallied around Lamar Jackson. I doubt Flacco gets his starting job back.

I could be mistaken, but I think Snyder has been quoted as saying he made a mistake with his timing of firing Norv. There are some similarities to that 2000 season and this season. I know some will disagree with me, but I think the team's focus should still be on the playoffs and I doubt firing Jay right now helps with that.
The team lost focus weeks ago, and is clearly mailing it in.  I put this 100% on the coaching staff.

The team lost focus weeks ago, and is clearly mailing it in.  I put this 100% on the coaching staff.
I don't disagree. I've never been a huge Gruden fan as a HC. OC? Sure. HC? Doesn't seem like it. He struggles with in-game time management and some other things that really seem inexcusable after all this time and I don't get the sense that he can motivate people.

However, I still say they have a better chance at the playoffs this year with him than they do by firing him now and playing the last three games with someone else as interim HC. I think the team would mail it in even more, if that's possible, in that scenario.

MikeApf said:
Yeah, in hindsight it's hard to imagine Kaep doing worse than Sanchez.  If anything, Sanchez was far worse than I expected.  He looked rattled almost immediately.  Josh Johnson looked better, but it was in garbage time, probably against backups, and no one had game planned for him.  But, we'll see what he can do against JAX.  I will be rooting for the dude for sure.  If he pulls out some wins, maybe he'll at least get a Madden endorsement deal...

I will say, if the team really thought Kaep gave them a better chance to win than Sanchez, and they didn't do it, then that's firing offense right there.  It's true what you say about playoff odds.  Consider the fact that if the Redskins had one just ONE of the FOUR games they've lost in a row, they would have the second wild card seed!  And that's how close they STILL are.  There is so much talk about the season being over, but if we had any faith in QB at all, there would be a punchers chance.  Now, I'm not predicting playoffs or anything -- that would be foolish -- but you don't just lay down on the tracks when you are only 1/2 game back.  You try to win one game at a time and just see what happens.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now.  We have to go all in on Josh Johnson.  He looked fine to me last week -- with all the caveats given -- and I do like the fact that he is mobile...he used that to good advantage.  Just gotta hope dude can piece together enough plays this Sunday.  Jacksonville has a strong defense but not a dynamic offense, so maybe if Josh can engineer 2 TDs and a FG we can steal it?
This is where i am with all this.  But i don’t believe it’s a firing offense since all ownership seems to be in on it.  I think i read a quote from Bruce about him not being a fan anyway so i never thought they would even work him out.  

But yea it’s hard to imagine colin doing any worst.  Between this and the whole name issue and ownership it’s really hard to be a fan of this organization these days.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/12/derrius-guice-his-rehab-delayed-by-infection-plans-return-faster-bigger-stronger/

He then faced significant setbacks in his recovery. Guice developed an infection after the surgery that lasted two months and required three additional procedures — which Guice referred to as “flushes” — to address the infected tissue, prompting seven weeks of heavy rounds of antibiotics through a catheter in his arm. There was a period of getting IVs three times a day, for three hours. His knee would swell up, giving him a burning sensation, and he came down with flulike symptoms when the infection was first detected and an orange, cloudy fluid needed to be drained from the joint.

The infection slowed his rehab process, and because doctors needed to check on him regularly, he stayed with family in Baton Rouge to remain within driving distance of Gulf Breeze, Fla., where orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, who performed his surgery, has his practice. It kept Guice away from the Redskins' facility and his teammates.

“It really sucks, man,” Guice said. “Everywhere you go, you either have people asking how your knee is, how your rehab is going . . . or asking why you’re in Louisiana. ‘Why are you not with your team?’"

Sometimes I think Dan Snyder built the new stadium on an Indian Burial Ground...could this franchise be cursed? Sean Taylor, RG3 injury, now Guice. I just hope he comes back 100% he’s the face I want for the franchise. So likeable, loves the game, and really embraced the community. 

Sometimes I think Dan Snyder built the new stadium on an Indian Burial Ground...could this franchise be cursed? Sean Taylor, RG3 injury, now Guice. I just hope he comes back 100% he’s the face I want for the franchise. So likeable, loves the game, and really embraced the community. 
I honestly think it is.  :shrug:

I mean, if Native Americans were going to be pissed at Snyder, the location of the stadium would not be the first item on the list.

Occam's Razor: Maybe he's just an a##hole and an incompetent owner.

They just barely beat a very bad team, so hooray I guess,  it's better than losing.

Credit for the win, in no paarticular order, goes to:

Winning the turnover battle.

The defense, for letting Jacksonville's offense be as bad as it is.

Crowder being alert enough to catch the throw that was way behind him and should have been an INT.

Peterson for actually hitting  a few runs when it mattered.

Tress Way.

Dustin Hopkins.

John Allen.

Josh Johnson, for not being Mark Sanchez.

They just barely beat a very bad team, so hooray I guess,  it's better than losing.

Credit for the win, in no paarticular order, goes to:

Winning the turnover battle.

The defense, for letting Jacksonville's offense be as bad as it is.

Crowder being alert enough to catch the throw that was way behind him and should have been an INT.

Peterson for actually hitting  a few runs when it mattered.

Tress Way.

Dustin Hopkins.

John Allen.

Josh Johnson, for not being Mark Sanchez.
No one thinks Redskins are a great team at this point, but it was so cool seeing Josh Johnson celebrate on the ground like a little kid who just won the big game.  

No one thinks Redskins are a great team at this point, but it was so cool seeing Josh Johnson celebrate on the ground like a little kid who just won the big game.  
Was really happy for Josh.   He's bounced around the NFL for so long, and getting an opportunity like this had to be so satisfying. Gutty performance. 

This stinks. All these meaningless wins just ensure we won't get a QB in the first worth taking next year. They should tank like all other teams do that realize they suck and have no chance to win. And to make matters worse, if that win means Gruden isn't fired I will REALLY be pissed. 

This stinks. All these meaningless wins just ensure we won't get a QB in the first worth taking next year. They should tank like all other teams do that realize they suck and have no chance to win. And to make matters worse, if that win means Gruden isn't fired I will REALLY be pissed. 
every single year.  Just enough wins to keep Gruden around.  Not enough to be good.  too many for a good draft pick.  #redskins

Users who are viewing this thread