What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** Washington Redskins 2007 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Mort's reporting that Snyder gave Gibbs an offer on a two-year extension that would keep him as head coach through 2010.
He should have waited to do that until after the next 2 games. If they underperform, if they go back to poor clock management, poor playcalling, losing by playing-not-to-lose, and other ingrained habits in the next 2 games, the end of the year is going to look one hell of a lot different than it does right now.

Mort's reporting that Snyder gave Gibbs an offer on a two-year extension that would keep him as head coach through 2010.
He should have waited to do that until after the next 2 games. If they underperform, if they go back to poor clock management, poor playcalling, losing by playing-not-to-lose, and other ingrained habits in the next 2 games, the end of the year is going to look one hell of a lot different than it does right now.
I don't believe that will happen. This feels like the run they made in 2005. No guarantees of course, but the team and coaching staff seem to have gelled like they did two years ago.

Good job Philly beating New Orleans. Win out and we are in!! Tough game tonite, but the Skins should be able to handle an Owensless Cowboys with nothing to play for.

Extensions are pretty common for a coach entering their final year, even if they don't really intend to fulfill that extension. What will be most interesting is whether all the assistants get extensions. I would think so. I don't think Gibbs is signing an extension to bring in new guys and take a few steps back when it comes to schemes and playbooks.

Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs denied an ESPN report Sunday that he had been offered a two-year contract extension by owner Daniel Snyder.

Gibbs has maintained that he will entertain no thoughts of his future or any contract until after the season. Gibbs, through team spokesman Chris Helein, said that he has had no conversations about an extension and has no plans to at this point.

Gibbs and Snyder meet annually the week after the end of every season, when they chart the future for the organization and mull any staff changes. Gibbs has continued to say that he has every "intention" of returning for 2008, the fifth and final season of his $28.5 million contract.
Link

2008 schedule.

HOME

Arizona

St. Louis

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

somebody from NFC South

AWAY

San Francisco

Seattle

Baltimore

Cincinnati

somebody from NFC North

Redskins are favored by 9.
It shouldn't, but this game worries me.
I know what you mean. It's the perfect opportunity for a flat performance, with enough mistakes sprinkled in to lose. The last 3 weeks the Redskins have seemed very workmanlike on the field --- like they knew what to do and just did it without hesitation. The results speak for themselves. Any deviation from that approach will kill them, because they're playing a very very good team this week.
"Each and every game is like a playoff game for us," safety LaRon Landry said. "We have to come out with the same intensity."The great unknown is how the Cowboys, with home-field advantage locked up, will treat this game.
I disagree. The great unknown is how the Redskins will treat this game.

I know what you mean. It's the perfect opportunity for a flat performance, with enough mistakes sprinkled in to lose. The last 3 weeks the Redskins have seemed very workmanlike on the field --- like they knew what to do and just did it without hesitation. The results speak for themselves. Any deviation from that approach will kill them, because they're playing a very very good team this week.
"Each and every game is like a playoff game for us," safety LaRon Landry said. "We have to come out with the same intensity."The great unknown is how the Cowboys, with home-field advantage locked up, will treat this game.
If the Redskins play the Cowboys the way the played the Bears, Giants and Vikings, I'd expect them to win even if they played their starters. Many will laugh at that notion as homerism, but it's the truth. They've been playing very good, intense football. If they take care of business and make the playoffs, there's not a single NFC opponent who I think they can't give a run for their money.

If the Redskins play the Cowboys the way the played the Bears, Giants and Vikings, I'd expect them to win even if they played their starters. Many will laugh at that notion as homerism, but it's the truth. They've been playing very good, intense football. If they take care of business and make the playoffs, there's not a single NFC opponent who I think they can't give a run for their money.
I agree. They certainly gave Dallas and Green Bay a run for their money earlier this year on the road. They had every chance to win both of those games.

I agree. They certainly gave Dallas and Green Bay a run for their money earlier this year on the road. They had every chance to win both of those games.
They gave that Green Bay game away, and if they'd adjusted their defense in the Dallas game to have Landry playing as he presently is in that "centerfield" role that Taylor used to play, I sincerely doubt that TO scores four TD's. Yeah, yeah, if's and buts, but there's no way that the Packers or Cowboys would go into that kind of a playoff rematch (especially with the 'Skins having won one or two playoff games) feeling comfortable.

"Each and every game is like a playoff game for us," safety LaRon Landry said. "We have to come out with the same intensity."

The great unknown is how the Cowboys, with home-field advantage locked up, will treat this game.
I'm worried about this too. Of course anytime they are favored I get a bit concerned. This team plays with such a chip on their shoulder when they are counted out.

I'm reminded of the final game of 2005. The Skins had the opportunity to clinch a playoff berth with a win @ Philly. Philly was without McNabb and Westbrook, but played a heck of a game and gave Washington everything they could. That's what I expect from Dallas. There won't be Romo or TO or even Ware and Newman for much of the game, but I expect the backups to put up an extremely good fight.

I'm reminded of the final game of 2005. The Skins had the opportunity to clinch a playoff berth with a win @ Philly. Philly was without McNabb and Westbrook, but played a heck of a game and gave Washington everything they could. That's what I expect from Dallas. There won't be Romo or TO or even Ware and Newman for much of the game, but I expect the backups to put up an extremely good fight.
:2cents:

Nice segment of his article on Collins by Boswell:

Nobody on earth really knows how good Collins is, including the quarterback himself. Nobody takes a 10-year hiatus between starts, yet spends every day studying and improving just in case he gets a chance to do the job again. It's ludicrous, like a lawyer practicing summations to the jury for a decade in an empty room. But how honorable, too. Collins may have the silliest, most wonderful stat line ever: 18 for 27 for 229 yards -- for the previous nine seasons combined before he finally got his chance in mid-game against the Bears on Dec. 6. He trotted out and won NFC offensive player of the week honors!If you want to pick an athlete for a child to emulate, maybe you want to reconsider that Michael Vick or Roger Clemens jersey and opt for Collins, instead. His example of perseverance, being ready every day for 10 years and hardly ever being summoned, then shooting the lights out when he got the chance, is the kind of life lesson that normal people might actually use.ad_iconPerhaps the true highlight of Sunday's game will be the moment when Redskins fans get to welcome Collins back to FedEx. Maybe he'll lead the team to a fourth straight win. Maybe he'll throw seven picks. It's real life, so there's no happy script. And next year he may be back on the bench. But, whatever happens, if anybody boos this guy, shame on you.

It's real life, so there's no happy script.
The last part of this season has been more "real life" than any football season I ever remember. And I've been rooting for the Skins since the 60's. There's never been anything like this. Lives have been changed and a team identity is being redefined, in real time, on football fields, with live opponents. It's gripping.

The last part of this season has been more "real life" than any football season I ever remember. And I've been rooting for the Skins since the 60's. There's never been anything like this. Lives have been changed and a team identity is being redefined, in real time, on football fields, with live opponents. It's gripping.
Sorry if too personal, but how old are you? I just always figured you were about 35-40ish.

Washington Post article by Jason Reid

"Like all of us, Clinton and Santana really want to get in and do this thing for Sean, but with them all being from Miami, and as close as those guys were, I think they're carrying more on them to try to get it done," defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "Since that happened, since what happened to Sean, they have really stepped it up a lot. Clinton is running as hard as I've ever seen him run, he's looking like the young Clinton again, and Santana is catching everything. He's making great catches, going up over people, and you can just see something in both of those guys."
"Hard times . . . if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. I'm a true believer of that," Portis said. "Yeah, they could have packed it up a long time ago, [but] nobody packed it up. Nobody dropped their head [and said], 'Aw, man, why did this happen [to] us?' Injury after injury, you see guys still fight and still play. . . . You have a bunch of guys who won't give up."

Clinton Portis has been named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Redskins' victory over the Vikings. He had 20 carries for 76 yards and a touchdown, caught five passes for 48 yards and passed for a touchdown. That was his third TD pass and went for 15 yards to Antwaan Randle El in the second quarter. According to the team, it's the first time Portis has been a POTW since joining the Redskins
Link

:lmao: This particular Redskins football team is fast becoming my favorite, and not just because of the football. I'm very impressed with their resilience and unity.

And now for something completely different: Gentlemen, download your Jessica Simpson masks. :lmao:

From ruinromo.com, the idea is to get thousands of fans waving Jessica Simpson masks at this Sunday's game.

Follow these simple steps:

1) Buy Tickets to the next Dallas Game.

2) Print out this picture in Full Color.

3) Cut out eyes and head.

4) Paste or tape to a heavy piece of paper or cardboard.

5) Paste popsicle stick to bottom for easy handling.

6) Bring it to the game and let Tony know Jessica is there for him!

7) Celebrate after your team wins!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at that game and it was the closest thing to a playoff game I've ever been to. We were singing Hail to the Redskins in the Linc after the game. I was sitting LL and didn't have any issues with fans. I had some buddies sitting UL that had to leave their seats.Here's hoping for a repeat performance this Sunday. I too am a little stunned by the point spread. I guess that's why I don't make the lines.

Wow, great article on Gibbs by Wilbon:

When Gibbs Is at His BestBy Michael WilbonFriday, December 28, 2007; E01While there's precious little that connects labor disputes and the killing of a player, fact is they are acts that put undue and atypical stress on any team. Yet, the longer we observe Joe Gibbs and his football teams the more certain we become that he is uniquely adept at dealing with upheaval that overwhelms most other men.In 1982, when a 57-day players' strike reduced the regular season from 16 games to nine and forced an unprecedented "Super Bowl Tournament," the Redskins stayed together like no other team in the NFL and won it. In 1987, when a month-long strike led to veteran players crossing the picket lines in most cities and the league's use of replacement players, Gibbs was again able to keep his regular players from fracturing, and the Redskins, amid the chaos, won a second Super Bowl.And now, hit with something much worse -- the in-season death of Sean Taylor -- Gibbs has steered his team to the brink of even greater improbable on-field success. The men who have played for Gibbs, particularly the ones who were with him in Super Bowl seasons, have seen their coach successfully manage the chaos before. In fact, they think negotiating the most trying, most nerve-wracking situations has become a defining characteristic of Gibbs's career.Jeff Bostic, a center and a member of The Hogs for Gibbs's entire first run as Redskins head coach, said yesterday: "Joe thrives under stressful times, irregular times. When it's not normal, he's at his best."Doc Walker, who played for Gibbs and who has covered his former coach as a member of the media, said: "I don't want to be insensitive, but Atlanta lost one player, Michael Vick, and the entire program collapsed. Not only did the Redskins have a player die during a season, which is unthinkable, but look at all the other things that have happened that would derail most teams:"They lost the guys who were supposed to be the right side of the offensive line, Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas, essentially for the entire season. Shawn Springs's father is in a coma and he's traveling back and forth to see his dad. You've got a free agent rookie [stephon Heyer] starting at right guard. You've got the whole team flying to a funeral and playing the Bears three days later. You've got your franchise quarterback going down in that very game, then you've got the backup quarterback's wife giving birth . . . on the eve of his first start in 10 years, then coming out and going 0 for 8 but steadying himself to win the game. It's a movie. We can't imagine how difficult it is to manage all that. But Joe knows how to manage in the chaos. Go all the way back to his 0-5 start in his very first season as head coach. That was so chaotic. But he believed. Even if you don't believe initially, he does. And he just doesn't waver."Both Walker and Bostic can recall, word-for-word, some of what Gibbs would say at the beginning of every training camp. They both talk of his legendary calm. Bostic says he remembers Gibbs losing his temper twice in 12 seasons. And they, among others, cite Gibbs's spiritual faith as being instrumental in getting his teams to believe."We all know about Joe's great belief in God," Bostic said. "And I think he has a way of imposing his belief. Whether you're a believer or not, or you think you are or not, he has you believing in something larger than yourself."It's not that Gibbs converts everyone to believe in what he believes in spiritually, just that, regardless of whether the team is in contention or struggling, the people on hand are not going to indulge in selfish behavior. Walker recalled that during the 1982 strike season, "98, 99 percent of the team was practicing every day . . . I mean we were having real practices, ones where we were running the offense. Hell, we didn't play for more than 50 days and we're out there with Joe [Theismann] running plays. Guys were lifting fanatically. And remember in the 1987 strike the Cowboys had guys like Tony Dorsett and Danny White crossing the picket lines. Joe told the guys to stay together and nobody crossed the picket line."Bostic, a member of that 1987 team, said: "Joe said to us: 'This is out of my hands guys. You've got to stay together.' And it's the culture he has created in and around the team that leads guys to do just what he asks, especially when you've got crazy stuff going on all around you. I think the Redskins were the only team that didn't have a guy cross the picket line."From all indications, Gibbs's ability to remain calm is what a team needs in crisis, and 180 degrees from the way most people react."Joe never panics. There's only calm," Bostic said. "It helps the team feel a certain confidence when things are going badly. He says at the beginning of every training camp, 'The most important job I have is choosing the right people.' Joe really is a collector of people, a collector of good people. He'd have to be to get through something like this. . . . Nobody prepares for the death of a 24-year-old. I can't fathom a teammate being shot and killed during the season when I was playing. . . . It has to be so easy to wallow in pity."Yet the Redskins haven't. If they beat the Cowboys on Sunday, they go into the playoffs, which was nearly unthinkable when they lost to Buffalo six days after Taylor's death. Gibbs said several times that this would be the most difficult thing he's had to negotiate as a coach, and it's infinitely more emotionally draining than keeping a team together during a strike.Still, Gibbs's trademark characteristics -- unwavering faith, being extremely organized, his remarkable calm and his ability to accept all the blame but take no credit -- have created the kind of environment that make players want to follow his lead. And the Redskins have.The New England Patriots' biggest concern this season has been whether to kick a field goal or run it in for a touchdown with a 30-point lead. Chaos was what to do about "Spygate." The Redskins, conversely, have dealt with an unlikely range of jolts from aggravating to tragic. Yet the Redskins have "bought in," to use Bostic's phrase, or as Walker said, "drank the Kool-Aid. . . . Most teams, facing what this team has faced, are done . . . way done."Bostic, watching the games from afar, can't imagine the circumstances these Redskins have had to overcome, but understands to a great degree how they have. "This push they're in now," he said, "they're playing as well as anybody in the NFC right now."

great article. Gibbs record speaks for itself. He's had to learn how to coach in a very different NFL this second time around, but he's starting to show real improvement. I don't think anyone wants to play this team in the playoffs.

thayman said:
fatness said:
Sorry if too personal, but how old are you? I just always figured you were about 35-40ish.
His overly negative attitude had me thinking he was about 90. :goodposting:

Several things from Ryan O'Halloran's blog at the Washington Times.

The most impressive part for me was the fact that the Redskins kept drives alive and were able to make big plays with absolutely no fan support whatsoever. Point blank, (to borrow a Smoot phrase), it was so loud in that stadium, I could feel the Vikings fans cheers through my throat as I was watching the game.
Joe has appeared more sharp in the last three games. I really liked his decision to go for it on fourth-and-goal from the Minnesota 1 early on Sunday night. He knew the Vikings were unlikely to drive 99 yards so why not take a chance to score early on the road? Even though it didn't pan out, the Redskins did get a safety out of the deal. On the 12-men call, in the past, Joe might have been hesitant to risk a timeout but he trusted his staff.
Second is the Bengals star receiver Chad Johnson when he told me in an interview that he respected Sean Taylor so much because he was one of only two NFL players that he was "scared" to go up against on the field.

We. Want. Seattle.
First off... :penalty: :excited: Should hopefully be a different game than the last time we met them in the playoffs. Alexander was a beast that year. Now, not so much. I know their O line has lost a few players, most notably Hutch. But since they are a West coast team, I haven't heard or seen much of them this year.How do you think we match up?

I don't think Seattle is as tough as they were 2 years ago. And I don't think they're tougher than the last 3 teams the Redskins beat. I doubt they'll be able to run much on Washington unless the defense is left out on the field all day. Seattle will be able to pass some, though; they have a good passing attack. If the Redskins can continue with their offensive production (and corresponding time of possession) of the last 3-4 weeks, I think they've got a decent shot to win the game.

There is no doubt in my mind we can go into Seattle and beat them this year. The way this offense is controlling the game tempo and the D is playing shut down D, Skins can beat Sea.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

We. Want. Seattle.
First off... :bye: :goodposting: Should hopefully be a different game than the last time we met them in the playoffs. Alexander was a beast that year. Now, not so much. I know their O line has lost a few players, most notably Hutch. But since they are a West coast team, I haven't heard or seen much of them this year.How do you think we match up?
Alexander was knocked out of that game early, though. He wasn't a factor. The Redskins offense was simply uncapable at that point in the season. Brunell was done because of a knee injury and 100 year old Ray Brown was playing in place of Randy Thomas. I actually think these current Redskins are a little better than the '05 squad. What Todd Collins is doing right now is pretty amazing. He sees the field so well and he's unaware of the pass rush. That has led to a couple fumbles these past few games, but it's been positive for the most part.I'm looking forward to Saturday. If they can win this one, I'll be jumping off the walls in anticipation of a playoff game at Dallas.

BTW, they announced at the game that a new Fed Ex Field record was set. Attendance was just shy of 91,000. Awesome considering the crappy weather.

The weather looked absolutely miserable, you're right. Cold rain, upper 30's, mist, and a soaking wet field. You could tell who was talking in the huddles because you could see their breath.

And your word "uncapable" is a good word to describe the Skins offense in the 2005 playoffs. Man, they were brutal. Just tried to hang on and let the defense win the game. Right now, despite all the players missing, this team is better than that one is. And Seattle got jot 44 points laid on them by Atlanta, so I'm hopeful.

First off, this trip to the playoffs is a very unexpected gift from a topsy-turvy, bizarre, and surreal season. Amazing.

Second, this NFC playoff bracket is wide open. Any one of these six teams can make the Super Bowl, though I'm tempted to make Tampa the exception here. Certainly Washington can match up with anyone if they keep playing the kind of ball they've been playing this month.

If Portis can run the ball in Seattle, I like their chances. Collins makes enough plays to make the offense run and give the defense a blow, and that defense is dominant if it is allowed breathers during games. Smoot had better stop trying to jump routes like he was all day today or I'm going to blow my top though.

Alexander was knocked out of that game early, though. He wasn't a factor. The Redskins offense was simply uncapable at that point in the season. Brunell was done because of a knee injury and 100 year old Ray Brown was playing in place of Randy Thomas. I actually think these current Redskins are a little better than the '05 squad. What Todd Collins is doing right now is pretty amazing. He sees the field so well and he's unaware of the pass rush. That has led to a couple fumbles these past few games, but it's been positive for the most part.I'm looking forward to Saturday. If they can win this one, I'll be jumping off the walls in anticipation of a playoff game at Dallas.
Uncapable. :D The new buzz word for the '05 offense. :X But yes, I am looking forward to Saturday. I am just shocked at how well the 'skins are playing. Moss and Portis are looking like their old selves and the defense is playing very well. I know in the "official" game thread that Seahawks fans thnik it won't be that close. I don't know what they've been watching. The Seahawks haven't been all that impressive of late. And I definitely don't think they've been watching the 'skins play the last four weeks. Hopefully the SEA players are thinking the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread