What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official WIS Sim XIII Draft Thread - The HoVG (1 Viewer)

clinch! first time in playoffs. Kraft will probably quickly c&b our team right out. assuming that's how the matchup works out.are there any differences in playoffs vs. the regular season? scheduling, etc.
Congrats. Nothing new. Games played at same time. People tend to play more live in the playoffs if they can.Looks like Im getting the 100 win Sparty. Ugh.

Sparty and Kraft out? Does this mean there is still no three time World Series during our full seasons of WIS?

Sparty and Kraft out? Does this mean there is still no three time World Series during our full seasons of WIS?
Eephus still alive, does he have 2?
I thought Eeph had one WS win, but like 4 appearances. As I understand it, the only two time winners are you, Sparty and my past life as a good WIS player.
SimLeague BaseballRecord: 1224-960Playoffs: 7Finals: 4Championships: 1Owner Rating: 4119Teams: 13

If Eeph takes this, or even gets to the finals, I think he is propelled into the top spot of all time FBG WIS players. A WS win clinches as no one has even 4 appearances that I know of, in the WS.

I know three's been accomplished, as has two WS victories.

I thought Eeph had one WS win, but like 4 appearances. As I understand it, the only two time winners are you, Sparty and my past life as a good WIS player.
I've only got one title.Twice I had the best regular season record and lost early in the playoffs. I also have a world series loss to jfranco. I'm becoming the Peyton Manning of WIS :shrug:

I've only got one title.Twice I had the best regular season record and lost early in the playoffs. I also have a world series loss to jfranco. I'm becoming the Peyton Manning of WIS :lmao:
I could have sworn you had two. Only Kraft and I have 2 WS's? (and mine were in the first 10 or so seasons, its been tough sledding since). And, better to be Manning than Schotty.

If Eeph takes this, or even gets to the finals, I think he is propelled into the top spot of all time FBG WIS players. A WS win clinches as no one has even 4 appearances that I know of, in the WS.I know three's been accomplished, as has two WS victories.
i'll do what i can. One down, 3 to go. Started off with a 15-3 drubbing, boosting the confidence of my upstart team.

Thanks Hoos, you too.

Our teams appear to be pretty similar, in the context of this league, stat-wise. Biggest difference at the plate is that your batters rarely strike out, but mine strike out a lot. Looks like we both have quick hooks with our pitchers (you have the fewest Quality Starts in the entire league, and we are #1 and #2 in Inherited Runners). Your pitchers walk a lot of guys; mine don't. I've given up over 2x as many HR.

Interesting to see that you've put Jim Hearn in your rotation, after not getting a start all regular season. I looked him up, because i wondered what his 1950 story was. Only 16 starts with a great ERA. Did he get hurt or something? No, he got sent to the minors by the Cardinals early in the season, and then was sold to the Giants in July for $10k.

Game 1 to oso rombo by the score of 4-1. Dwight Gooden out-duels Steve Rogers. 1B Jim Gentile and SS **** McAulife smack homers.

it's always hard to know which moves are consequential vs. those that are merely coincidental, but i was 46-50 when i moved Schoolboy Rowe into the starting rotation. Rowe pitched about 100 innings thereafter as a starter, with an ERA of 2.02 and a WHIP of 1.03, as oso rombo went 42-24 to finish the season. That move seems pretty meaningful.

Less certain is my decision to not use a designated Closer. Put all 3 relievers - Randy Myers, Harvey Haddix, and Kaz Sasaki - as Setup men. That happened around the same time.

Around the trade deadline, i was 58-60. That's when i made two (possibly) key lineup moves.

1. Bench Howard Johnson against RHP, inserting **** McAulife at SS. McAulife wasn't any better defensively, but he hit 389/450/653 after that.

2. Start Amos Otis against RHP, making him the everyday CF. Otis still didn't hit righties all that well (but no one else that could plausibly play CF could either), but he lifted his overall OPS by 70 over those final 50 games or so.

oso rombo wins Game 3 in a dramatic 9th inning comeback. Amos Otis and Jimmy Wynn lead off the 9th with walks, then Charlie Keller smokes a double to right-center. Otis scores easily, and Wynn races around the bases to score in a bang-bang play at the plate, giving oso a 5-4 lead. Sasaki saves it in the bottom of the 9th the seal the victory and a 2-1 lead in the series.

We bring back Gooden for game 4, while Hoos send Dolph Luque (20-16, with a 5.09 ERA) to the mound.

Meanwhile, rombos phenom Schoolboy Rowe is reportedly out for another couple of games, fighting off fatigue. Inside sources say Rowe is struggling with a "dead arm".

Last edited by a moderator:
The back & forth continues, as Hoos wins Game 4. Series tied 2-2. Rombo players are not happy with the second-rate conditions of Sicks Stadium.

Game 5 too painful to discuss. Hoos can tell the story.

P.S. WIS entered my team into a "Tournament of Champions". Is there any reason to expect that a team from a league like ours can compete in such a thing? I checked some of the teams and they're loaded with HOFers.

Game 5 too painful to discuss. Hoos can tell the story.P.S. WIS entered my team into a "Tournament of Champions". Is there any reason to expect that a team from a league like ours can compete in such a thing? I checked some of the teams and they're loaded with HOFers.
I won one round after WIS XII, but I ran into some artificial joke team.

Game 5 too painful to discuss. Hoos can tell the story.P.S. WIS entered my team into a "Tournament of Champions". Is there any reason to expect that a team from a league like ours can compete in such a thing? I checked some of the teams and they're loaded with HOFers.
DD actually won one. He beat a guy I lost to in the semi finals in the same tournament. We almost had an all FBG WIS nerd final. So hell yeah there is a chance, give um Hell :goodposting:

Congrats to Hooooooooooos. I think this was my first losing season in WIS, Ron Guidry can blow me.

SimLeague Baseball

Record: 990-832

Playoffs: 6

Finals: 1

Championships: 0

Owner Rating: 2790

Teams: 11

TOC Championships: 1

Congrats Hoos.Ok, what's next?
Options: 1. A break until opening day so people can focus on their real pretend teams2. A quick 12 or 16 team short-era draft3. Start planning for the next 24 team XIV4. Start a slow draft for a 2010 sim. I thrown this idea out before. We'd basically be drafting players on spec and would replay the season in Oct-Nov after WIS posts the 2010 stats. We'd have to allow a mulligan or two to allow for injuries but I think this would add a lot of variability to the usual :hot: :rant:

We also need to look at if we need to have less teams for future WIS drafts. The past couple drafts have been too sad to laugh at because so many damn picks needed to be made up by the end.

4. Start a slow draft for a 2010 sim. I thrown this idea out before. We'd basically be drafting players on spec and would replay the season in Oct-Nov after WIS posts the 2010 stats. We'd have to allow a mulligan or two to allow for injuries but I think this would add a lot of variability to the usual :nerd: :hifive:
I like this idea a lot. The combined aspect of speculating on talent with constructing the type of team that wins on the field is a :nerd: dream.As far as covering for injuries, I'm thinking we could do a 30 round draft that you pick 25 from after the season, and/or allow AAA guys to cover the extra PA/IPThe one big concern is that if your team is too awful, by the time we actually SIM you're paying 12.95 for a team not worth managing. We could have some attrition there.

We also need to look at if we need to have less teams for future WIS drafts. The past couple drafts have been too sad to laugh at because so many damn picks needed to be made up by the end.
not a fan of the smaller leagues where only two teams make the playoffs :confused: 24 still the best option even with skips IMO

not a fan of the smaller leagues where only two teams make the playoffs :confused: 24 still the best option even with skips IMO
Alternate WIS Format E w/ 16 teams and 4 playoff slots wouldn't be too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread