What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Post-Punk Countdown: 1977-1984 #1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979) (Spotify playlist link in first post) (2 Viewers)

I still like the early stuff, but can't with a lot of it from that era that got massively overplayed. For my money, Give me back my Man, is my favorite. And yeah, Candy is a fun song. Kate has such a great voice.

Wondering who the other Athens band will be...thinking of two obvious ones. 
Probably the most obvious one, but I'm also a big fan of the other band. Female vocals and an album with a pic of a dino on the cover are the clues.

Last edited by a moderator:
#71 - The Pop Group - She Is Beyond Good and Evil (1979)

The Pop Group are one of the those bands that are way more influential than famous (or even particularly good, IMO).  Formed in Bristol in 1977, they were a first to take punk's energy and merge it with dub, reggae, and jazz influences.  The Pop Group was also hugely political, even for a post-punk band in Thatcher's England, with song titles like "Amnesty International Report on British Army Torture of Irish Prisoners."  "She is Beyond Good and Evil" was the band's first single and probably the most listenable song they ever recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0tYowbIxE

ETA:  St. Vincent does a pretty good cover of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySQE4axlJY)
So they were the Chumbawumba of their day? 

As much as I love Drive-By Truckers, I can't call them post-punk.  

Seriously, I'm not considering the other "obvious" one to be post-punk either.  Please proceed with throwing eggs at me.
See below. Starts with a P

The Pop Group are one of the those bands that are way more influential than famous (or even particularly good, IMO).  Formed in Bristol in 1977, they were a first to take punk's energy and merge it with dub, reggae, and jazz influences.  The Pop Group was also hugely political, even for a post-punk band in Thatcher's England, with song titles like "Amnesty International Report on British Army Torture of Irish Prisoners."  "She is Beyond Good and Evil" was the band's first single and probably the most listenable song they ever recorded.

ETA:  St. Vincent does a pretty good cover of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySQE4axlJY)
Without listening, doesn't ring any bells...looking forward to giving this a whirl.

Probably the most obvious one, but I'm also a big fan of the other band. Female vocals and an album with a pic of a dino on the cover are the clues.
That's the one.

Man, my temperament could use an adjustment. I felt like all of those songs could have been edited down to about two minutes and that that would be plenty. That's one thing about punk when it gets a little musically serious. Most likely needs an editor. That said, I liked what all the songs were going for, and their execution. Rated in order: Orange Juice, B-52's, The Pop Group.

B-52's, by the way? I think I'm one of the only people on earth that dig Fred Schneider's shtick. I mean, I can see where it gets annoying, but I feel like I sorta get it. He's the alternative carnival barker for the alternative freak show carnie band. I dig the B-52's, though, so there's that. Every time I hear their early records, I just go, "Yeah. That's cool."

And I agree that "Candy" is indeed a great, underrated song, though you seriously have to put suspension of disbelief to the fore of that duet. Iggy hasn't made love to anyone but himself for forty-five years and Kate isn't grooving Iggy's way. But their voices are perfect. 

B-52's, by the way? I think I'm one of the only people on earth that dig Fred Schneider's shtick. I mean, I can see where it gets annoying, but I feel like I sorta get it. He's the alternative carnival barker for the alternative freak show carnie band. I dig the B-52's, though, so there's that. Every time I hear their early records, I just go, "Yeah. That's cool."
Carnival barker is the perfect descriptor.  I just can't abide all the yelps.

#70 Adam & The Ants - Antmusic (1980)

Speaking of schtick, Adam & the Ants first album was pretty much a mix of punk, glam, and sexual references.  When it didn't sell, Adam paired up with Malcolm McLaren, recruited a new band, and somehow became a bunch of pirates.  Then, before the new album (Kings of the Wild Frontier) was even released, Malcolm helped the rest of the pirates escape to form Bow Wow Wow.  Antmusic was the third single and made it to #2 on the UK charts, and Adam spent the next few years going more and more new wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9drIwmmU4

Without listening, doesn't ring any bells...looking forward to giving this a whirl.
Loved it. And don't think I've ever heard it, or heard of the band either...which makes me happy as a former record store bin flipper as a kid.

Definitely directly influenced by your #1 song and artist here.

#70 Adam & The Ants - Antmusic (1980)

Speaking of schtick, Adam & the Ants first album was pretty much a mix of punk, glam, and sexual references.  When it didn't sell, Adam paired up with Malcolm McLaren, recruited a new band, and somehow became a bunch of pirates.  Then, before the new album (Kings of the Wild Frontier) was even released, Malcolm helped the rest of the pirates escape to form Bow Wow Wow.  Antmusic was the third single and made it to #2 on the UK charts, and Adam spent the next few years going more and more new wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9drIwmmU4
Noice.  

#69 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - From Her to Eternity (1984)

Our first sighting of Nick Cave in the countdown.  The dude pretty much defies genre, but his first album with the Bad Seeds is considered a post-punk classic.  Their cover of Elvis' "In the Ghetto" was the only single released from the record but the title track is still a live staple and a pretty perfect entry into the band's catalog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9cZDVLekI

scorchy said:
#69 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - From Her to Eternity (1984)

Our first sighting of Nick Cave in the countdown.  The dude pretty much defies genre, but his first album with the Bad Seeds is considered a post-punk classic.  Their cover of Elvis' "In the Ghetto" was the only single released from the record but the title track is still a live staple and a pretty perfect entry into the band's catalog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9cZDVLekI
Iconically used in Wings of Desire...the song, and Nick.

Eta..link. My favorite movie, and I love the song. Another dude that keeps putting out great music. No Oussy Blues from a couple years ago slays.

Iconically used in Wings of Desire...the song, and Nick.

Eta..link. My favorite movie, and I love the song. Another dude that keeps putting out great music. No Oussy Blues from a couple years ago slays.
Cool.  Haven't seen it, but anything with Nick Cave and Berlin has to be good.  Will add it to my queue.

#68 - The Teardrop Explodes - Sleeping Gas (1979)

Apparently, Julian Cope is a total d-bag.  Fellow Liverpudlian and pre-Teardrop Explodes bandmate Ian McCulloch famously hates him, and if you ever read NME or Q magazine, so does pretty much everyone else that ever worked with him.  I'm sure his massive LSD use and GG Allin self-mutilation schtick didn't help.  Prior to Cope dismantling the band for an up-and-down solo career in 1983, The Teardrop Explodes managed to chart a few UK hits ("Reward" reached #6 and "Treason" made it to #18 in 1981), but I'm partial to their less psychedelic earlier singles - even if the references in "Sleeping Gas" are so inherently British that I have no idea what the hell Cope is singing about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTR3HAyIbI

#67 - Kleenex - Ain't You (1978)

"Ain't you wanna get it on?"  In 1977, Swiss college student Marlene Marder goes to a Sex Pistols show in Zurich and decides to join a band.  At the time, her primary instrument is a saxophone, and the guys in the band tell her that sax-playing girls can't be punk so boot her out. Marlene picks up a guitar and joins the only other punk band in Zurich - the all-girl outfit Kleenex.  The band record a 4-track EP - interspersing German and English lyrics - with a local label that somehow is heard by John Peel, and yadda yadda yadda, "Ain't You" becomes one for the first singles released by Rough Trade.  After a second single, the band gets sued by the tissue maker and changes their name to Lilliput.

Though never commercially popular, their influence was huge even into the 90s, with both Sleater-Kinney and Nirvana touting Kleenex/Lilliput as influences.  Kill Rock Stars released a collection of the band's entire output in 2001, but original copies of their only full-length album are exceedingly rare.  Just checked on Discogs, and the last LP sold on the site went for almost $1K and a cassette version is listed at $650.  I guess I'll live without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm8-3E-mWW0

#65 - Cabaret Voltaire - Nag, Nag, Nag (1979)

For an industrial music fan, it's heresy to say you don't really like Cabaret Voltaire.  But I don't.  Like other forebears of the genre (Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten), I understood CV's influence but never appreciated their output.  

Still, their early singles on Rough Trade were hugely influential on the more electronic post-punk bands, and in the late 70s, they often shared bills with Joy Division, so I can't ignore their best single.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IixtxKETU

#64 - Flipper - Sex Bomb (1981)

I've tried to keep anything generally considered hardcore or post-hardcore out of here (and it hurt me to leave out the Minutemen), but Flipper is just so damn sludgy.  And that saxophone...  "Sex Bomb" was the band's second single, and as one critic described it, the closest punk ever came to the "beer-filled genius of 'Louie Louie."  The bands first LP, released the following year, is still a main go-to when I want to drive my wife out of the room (along with Big Black's "Songs about ####ing").  Wondering whether our resident punk @rockactionloves "Sex Bomb" for its chaos or hates it for clocking in at 7-plus minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpUufEMnU3w

#63 - Bush Tetras - Can't Be Funky (1981)

Bush Tetras might be favorite lesser-known post-punk band.  Guitarist and ringleader Pat Place had played in several NYC no-wave bands (including James Chance & The Contortions) before forming Bush Tetras in 1979.  The band become pretty big in both the East Village scene and in London, with UK label Fetish Records releasing most of their singles as well as their Topper Headon-produced debut EP.  "Can't Be Funky" was their third single and blends the bounciness of B-52s with the chiming guitars of Gang of Four.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63t_egLuo1A&t

We watched a season or two of Survivor as a family during the pandemic. There's a contestant named Pavarty. To hell with her.

Btw...never deep dived them, but have always liked what I've heard of Bush Tetras.

I'm loving that the playlist so far is stuff off my radar or regular listening. :thumbup:

Btw...never deep dived them, but have always liked what I've heard of Bush Tetras.

I'm loving that the playlist so far is stuff off my radar or regular listening. :thumbup:
That makes me happy to hear.  Probably gonna get a little more "on the radar" as we move on, though.

#64 - Flipper - Sex Bomb (1981)

I've tried to keep anything generally considered hardcore or post-hardcore out of here (and it hurt me to leave out the Minutemen), but Flipper is just so damn sludgy.  And that saxophone...  "Sex Bomb" was the band's second single, and as one critic described it, the closest punk ever came to the "beer-filled genius of 'Louie Louie."  The bands first LP, released the following year, is still a main go-to when I want to drive my wife out of the room (along with Big Black's "Songs about ####ing").  Wondering whether our resident punk @rockactionloves "Sex Bomb" for its chaos or hates it for clocking in at 7-plus minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpUufEMnU3w
I have never really known what to do with this song. It's like the Queers's nine minute opus "Love Me," which ironically had a copy of "Louie Louie" as its b/w. One time for either song is enough for me. Someone who does know what to do with this song is @Eephus, who has flippers lovingly tattooed on his calves in homage to (IIRC) band and pinball. That's a testament to a band I could never make.

What the heck is up with all the Marillion love I've seen recently? I mean, I used to see them in the record store but never even thought twice about buying a record (and by the time streaming hit, nobody talked about Marillion, so it was '89 at a record strore or bust, or I guess. What am I missing here?).

What the heck is up with all the Marillion love I've seen recently? I mean, I used to see them in the record store but never even thought twice about buying a record (and by the time streaming hit, nobody talked about Marillion, so it was '89 at a record strore or bust, or I guess. What am I missing here?).
I remember a radio show called Rock over London that used to feature them quite a bit. But I don't remember any of their actual songs. 

In 10th grade, one of my fellow Rush-loving friends went away to boarding school and mailed me a couple of dubbed Marillion records and I was wowed - overwrought but way more listenable and "human" than Rush, IMO.  I never bought a single record Marillion made after Fish left the band (which was in like 1988) but I still check for any rare B-sides or old Fish solo records when I hit a new record store.  I probably haven't listened to "Misplaced Childhood" in two years but can still belt out every word of the album.

Yet another The Young Ones reference.

In 10th grade, one of my fellow Rush-loving friends went away to boarding school and mailed me a couple of dubbed Marillion records and I was wowed - overwrought but way more listenable and "human" than Rush, IMO.
You've...you've said enough.

In all seriousness, it's cool you have broad tastes, from the Kill Cult to the prog rock love. Hey, I'm a punk who loved certain hair metal -- probably because of glam and New York Bowery and Queens origins of said music -- so not everything has neat boxes, as is cool to say these days. Speaking of that, a digression: I long for the days when that sort of musical relativism was so uncool as to be cool. Perhaps the pendulum will swing the other way and debates can rage again.

Better than debates over other things these days, anyway.

You've...you've said enough.

In all seriousness, it's cool you have broad tastes, from the Kill Cult to the prog rock love. Hey, I'm a punk who loved certain hair metal -- probably because of glam and New York Bowery and Queens origins of said music -- so not everything has neat boxes, as is cool to say these days. Speaking of that, a digression: I long for the days when that sort of musical relativism was so uncool as to be cool. Perhaps the pendulum will swing the other way and debates can rage again.

Better than debates over other things these days, anyway. But that was indeed a digression: I'll let you get back do the countdown.

Users who are viewing this thread