What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Post-Punk Countdown: 1977-1984 #1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979) (Spotify playlist link in first post) (2 Viewers)

And I get the argument against, but I'd still include Television. Figured they'd be too 3 here.
And I definitely get the argument for, and I can't deny its massive influence, but it just doesn't feel post-punk to me.  It's also why I cheated in the intro and said released between "late '77 and '84."  What song would you have picked?  See No Evil?  Marquee Moon?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all true...delicate area for sure. But this critic had obviously no idea what the song was about or what it's origins were...so the foundation of his entire argument was off-base.
Oh, no doubt.  

As an aside, I just read a piece on CNN slamming Justin Timberlake for propelling his career off of mean, sexist songs about his breakup with Britney.  Apparently, we should feel guilty for liking "Cry Me A River."  If that's the case, I guess it's time to burn my copy of NIN's "The Downward Spiral."

just read a piece on CNN slamming Justin Timberlake for propelling his career off of mean, sexist songs about his breakup with Britney.  Apparently, we should feel guilty for liking "Cry Me A River."  If that's the case, I guess it's time to burn my copy of NIN's "The Downward Spiral."
What's next, an in-depth piece on Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez?

Same here. I'd always been aware of The Cure in high school and found a tune or two catchy, but never really appreciated them until I went to boarding school and was loaned a copy of a cassette of Staring At The Sea, the extended play one with the singles and B-sides that many thought suffered from bloat compared to the CD, but was actually glorious for it. Loved it. Loved this song probably the most. IIRC, it's the somewhere between second through fourth track on the cassette. I think it went Killing An Arab, Jumping Someone Else's Train, Boys Don't Cry, 10:15 Saturday Night. One of Jumping or this wasn't on the CD, which is by my estimation a criminal omission of either. Many a day spent listening to those first four songs, anyway. 
The cassette version was actually called Standing on the Beach. My sister had it (and played it constantly.)

And I definitely get the argument for, and I can't deny it's massive influence, but it just doesn't feel post-punk to me.  It's also why I cheated in the intro and said released between "late '77 and '84."  What song would you have picked?  See No Evil?  Marquee Moon?
I have no idea how to classify Television, but I love that record. I selected See No Evil for the First Wave playlist in the most recent Genrepalooza. 

I like The Cure’s song, So What? The lyrics are timeless. 

Cake icing and decorating set
Special offer
Only 3 pound 30
Save 1 pound 52 on recommended retail price
Give your cakes and pies a professional look
With this superb
Decorating set

I'm not meant to be here
But so what?
And nobody's
Nobody's taken your place

Each set includes
A turntable
A nine inch icing bag
With six high definition nozzles and adaptor
With a fifteen inch food decorating bag
With three piping nozzles
Please send off this leaflet
Post it today

And if you knew
Nothing could replace you
If you were sane
Your heart wouldn't ache
But so what?
So what?
So what?

Order now
Allow twenty one days
For deliver
This offer closes
31st December 1979

British sugar bureau
When I told you what I
And I

And I wouldn't ask you to pretend
That we were one
And still another time
Forget all the lies forgive me the wounds
And all the world was used to love
And yes we'd still be happy in another time
But so what?
So what?

So please send me icing and decorating sets
I enclose a cheque and postal order number

So what?
So what?

Love the early stuff and Head on the Door is my favorite album. I’ve only had the chance to see them live once in Denver, but I couldn’t afford a ticket as a poor college student. 

I like The Cure’s song, So What? The lyrics are timeless. 

Cake icing and decorating set
Special offer
Only 3 pound 30
Save 1 pound 52 on recommended retail price
Give your cakes and pies a professional look
With this superb
Decorating set

I'm not meant to be here
But so what?
And nobody's

Each set includes
A turntable
A nine inch icing bag
With six high definition nozzles and adaptor
With a fifteen inch food decorating bag
With three piping nozzles
Please send off this leaflet
Post it today

And if you knew
Nothing could replace you
If you were sane
Your heart wouldn't ache
But so what?
So what?
So what?

Order now
Allow twenty one days
For deliver
This offer closes
31st December 1979

British sugar bureau
When I told you what I
And I

And I wouldn't ask you to pretend
That we were one
And still another time
Forget all the lies forgive me the wounds
And all the world was used to love
And yes we'd still be happy in another time
But so what?
So what?

So please send me icing and decorating sets
I enclose a cheque and postal order number

So what?
So what?

Love the early stuff and Head on the Door is my favorite album. I’ve only had the chance to see them live once in Denver, but I couldn’t afford a ticket as a poor college student. 
That's even edgier than Ministry's "So What":

Die! die! die! die!
Scum sucking depravity debauched!
Anal ###-fest, thrill olympics
Savage scourge supply and sanctify
So what? so what?
Die! die! die! die!

Die! die! die! die!
You said it!
Sedatives supplied become laxatives
My eyes #### out lies
I only kill to know I'm alive
So what? so what?
Die! die! die! die!

Die! die! die! die!
So what, it's your problem to learn to live with
Destroy us, or make us saints
We don't care, it's not our fault that we were born too late
A screaming headache on the brow of the state
Killing time is appropriate
To make a mess and #### all the rest, we say, we say
So what? so what?
Die! die! die! die!

Die!
Now I know what is right
I'll kill them all if I like
I'm a time bomb inside
No one listens to reason,
It's too late and I'm ready to fight!
So what? now I'm ready to fight!

I swear I heard this song like 20 times over a three week period on First Wave and maybe never heard it again. I had a similar experience with Sex Dwarf.  
I can't hear Sex Dwarf without thinking of the identically named dance party at my favorite Philly club of the early 2000s (Fluid).  Had no idea it was still going on.

I made IRL friends with the DJ when I asked him to play my favorite obscure 80s novelty:  The Bollock Brothers - Harley David (Son of a #####)

Oh, no doubt.  

As an aside, I just read a piece on CNN slamming Justin Timberlake for propelling his career off of mean, sexist songs about his breakup with Britney.  Apparently, we should feel guilty for liking "Cry Me A River."  If that's the case, I guess it's time to burn my copy of NIN's "The Downward Spiral."
I unfollowed a woman who parses football analytics because she brought that into my Twitter feed. I guess you could view Britney's treatment in the media as misogynistic, but that wouldn't be the adjective I start with. That sounds like an axe to grind. Anyway, if you bring stuff like that to my attention in a light-hearted feed of football and music? Unfollow and unsubscribe because chances are you're reductive in thought, and this world is too complex for a single diagnosis like that. The poor, put-upon, multi-millionaire that sold teen sexuality to older pervs and young girls was a willing and newly rich accomplice in any degradation. Please. It's more likely all the coke she was doing at Lucky Cheng's (a bar my friend worked at as a balloon animalist where she did coke all night one night and they had various pictures as proof) might have had something to do with "fame," career, and personal problems. Color me irritated. End twitter rant.

I unfollowed a woman who parses football analytics because she brought that into my Twitter feed. I guess you could view Britney's treatment in the media as misogynistic, but that wouldn't be the adjective I start with. That sounds like an axe to grind. Anyway, if you bring stuff like that to my attention in a light-hearted feed of football and music? Unfollow and unsubscribe because chances are you're reductive in thought, and this world is too complex for a single diagnosis like that. The poor, put-upon, multi-millionaire that sold teen sexuality to older pervs and young girls was a willing and newly rich accomplice in any degradation. Please. It's more likely all the coke she was doing at Lucky Cheng's (a bar my friend worked at as a balloon animalist where she did coke all night one night and they had various pictures as proof) might have had something to do with "fame," career, and personal problems. Color me irritated. End twitter rant.
Should have posted a trigger warning 😉 And not sure why I posted about this as an aside from "Killing an Arab" in the first place...

For the CNN story (which focused on the Twitter blowback against Justin Timberlake), I can certainly buy into the notion that there was more than a little bit of sexism in the way Britney's unraveling was covered and celebrated.  Where I can't abide is that somehow an ex who wrote songs about their breakup is ethically culpable.  Breakup songs have been the stock-and-trade of rock, pop, and country records for decades.  And I say this as someone who could maybe name one other JT song.

Sorry to bring the PSF to the post-punk thread.  Would be sort-of hilarious if got moved the day before we got to #1.

Should have posted a trigger warning 😉 And not sure why I posted about this as an aside from "Killing an Arab" in the first place...

For the CNN story (which focused on the Twitter blowback against Justin Timberlake), I can certainly buy into the notion that there was more than a little bit of sexism in the way Britney's unraveling was covered and celebrated.  Where I can't abide is that somehow an ex who wrote songs about their breakup is ethically culpable.  Breakup songs have been the stock-and-trade of rock, pop, and country records for decades.  And I say this as someone who could maybe name one other JT song.

Sorry to bring the PSF to the post-punk thread.  Would be sort-of hilarious if got moved the day before we got to #1.
I mean, by that standard Taylor Swift is Pol Pot. 

Solid. My apologies indeed, too. I was hesitant to post but figured I'd bring my own Britney/misog story to the fore. Guess it's making the rounds. Yes, Trent would come up for some scrutiny were we to measure him against the current media climate today. I don't think "Closer" flows so freely from the lips of Merediths (I knew a Meredith that loved the song) these days. Too chancy.

Solid. My apologies indeed, too. I was hesitant to post but figured I'd bring my own Britney/misog story to the fore. Guess it's making the rounds. Yes, Trent would come up for some scrutiny were we to measure him against the current media climate today. I don't think "Closer" flows so freely from the lips of Merediths (I knew a Meredith that loved the song) these days. Too chancy.
I can say for sure that with all the latest about Marilyn Manson, my well-worn story about eating a 3 am Dennys breakfast with him back in 1993 won't be getting retold at office icebreakers.

I can say for sure that with all the latest about Marilyn Manson, my well-worn story about eating a 3 am Dennys breakfast with him back in 1993 won't be getting retold at office icebreakers.
I have a second hand marilyn story I used to tell a lot...no misogyny. Involved a summer intern lawyer...crap...it was all in the details and timing and I can't remember either well enough to make it worthwhile.

I have a second hand marilyn story I used to tell a lot...no misogyny. Involved a summer intern lawyer...crap...it was all in the details and timing and I can't remember either well enough to make it worthwhile.
Such a tease...

There really wasn't anything more to my story.  What I really can't remember is why we were at  Denny's.  My crew almost always went to Shoney's - which on weekends, opened their AYCE breakfast bar from 11 pm - 3 am.  I loved those cheese eggs. 

The fine folks from the local country bar (DJ Chaps) would also hit Shoney's after last call in their cowboy hats and big hair.  But they had a schism in their ranks, and one big group would sit on one side of the restaurant and glare at the other big group, with us goths in the middle.  I'm sure to the uninitiated, it had to look like quite the scene.

The fine folks from the local country bar (DJ Chaps) would also hit Shoney's after last call in their cowboy hats and big hair.  But they had a schism in their ranks, and one big group would sit on one side of the restaurant and glare at the other big group, with us goths in the middle.  I'm sure to the uninitiated, it had to look like quite the scene.
That is...awesome. I can just picture it. Somehow I'm sure the other groups didn't care if a Shoney's food fight broke out and you guys caught the brunt of the flying cheese eggs. Who knows? Your chasm of doom might have prevented fisticuffs some nights. "Where do we direct our anger? Where indeed?"

#1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979)

Could this be any more anti-climatic of a conclusion?  Honestly, I played around a lot with the rankings of the rest of the top 10-15, but "Transmission" was always going to be number one.  The song was originally recorded by Joy Division in 1978 for a first album that never happened, then reworked and sped-up when Factory released it as the band's debut single.  Peter Hook's opening bassline, that moment at the 10 second mark when Bernard Sumner's guitar kicks in, Ian Curtis's unmistakable voice - it's close to perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc

Went through a period of time where I was listening to a lot of Joy Division in my early thirties and decided to check out not one, but two, Joy Division movies, one a documentary, one a re-enactment of sorts. What surprised me the most about both was how utterly bleak the Manchester cityscape was and how it affected the music coming out of that area. It truly looked like industrial housing hell. Flop would probably be much more sensitive to it and able to comment on it more intelligently than I, but I can't really imagine anything sunny coming out of the place.

Nice countdown, scorchy. I haven't gotten to listen to a lot of the songs on it, but as long as the thread keeps open and unlocked and links unbroken, I'll work my way down it and pick ones that are of interest. The Liquid Liquid that I took over in Genrepalooza obviously had an effect on me and I've had never have known where that sample came from, so that's really cool. Thanks again for the time and effort! (I know you did it because you love it, but still...)

Thanks, Rock.  Now I've gotta find something else to fill my time while I'm on these interminable work calls.  I'll be throwing up the link to a Spotify playlist later today.

As for Manchester, I'm obsessed.  Still hope to visit one day to take in a Man City match and recreate photos from Smiths records/videos and take a selfie at the site of the old Hacienda.  Hope that it's less depressing now than in 1980.

Oh, and that Joy Division biopic was so good.  The actor did a dead-on Ian Curtis.

#1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979)

Could this be any more anti-climatic of a conclusion?  Honestly, I played around a lot with the rankings of the rest of the top 10-15, but "Transmission" was always going to be number one.  The song was originally recorded by Joy Division in 1978 for a first album that never happened, then reworked and sped-up when Factory released it as the band's debut single.  Peter Hook's opening bassline, that moment at the 10 second mark when Bernard Sumner's guitar kicks in, Ian Curtis's unmistakable voice - it's close to perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc
My favorite band and one of my favorite songs.  :thumbup:

As for Manchester, I'm obsessed.  Still hope to visit one day to take in a Man City match and recreate photos from Smiths records/videos and take a selfie at the site of the old Hacienda.  Hope that it's less depressing now than in 1980.
As of 2009, when my college buddy made his pilgrimage, the Hacienda site was luxury condos. And I guess the original dance floor is now a parking garage (but they kept the beams). 

scorchy said:
Yeah - so I've seen.  Won't stop me from maybe doing a little Bez dance in front of someone's balcony.
I wonder how many times I’d have to be awakened by someone screaming “You’re twistin’ my melon, man!” until it ceased being cute. 

I wonder how many times I’d have to be awakened by someone screaming “You’re twistin’ my melon, man!” until it ceased being cute. 
The Melon Twister could have been a great finishing maneuver if you had pursued your dream of being a professional wrestler.  Not sure what kind of gimmick would work for a Manc angle?  

Nice work scorchy, I knew you could do it!
Also, I promise I’ll listen to the Spotify playlist all the way through multiple times in your honor GB.  Haven’t really been active in the thread because this stuff is out of my wheelhouse.  I think there’s only one song on the entire countdown that I ever owned.  There are probably less then 10 that I’m familiar with at all.

rockaction said:
Went through a period of time where I was listening to a lot of Joy Division in my early thirties and decided to check out not one, but two, Joy Division movies, one a documentary, one a re-enactment of sorts. What surprised me the most about both was how utterly bleak the Manchester cityscape was and how it affected the music coming out of that area. It truly looked like industrial housing hell. Flop would probably be much more sensitive to it and able to comment on it more intelligently than I, but I can't really imagine anything sunny coming out of the place.

Nice countdown, scorchy. I haven't gotten to listen to a lot of the songs on it, but as long as the thread keeps open and unlocked and links unbroken, I'll work my way down it and pick ones that are of interest. The Liquid Liquid that I took over in Genrepalooza obviously had an effect on me and I've had never have known where that sample came from, so that's really cool. Thanks again for the time and effort! (I know you did it because you love it, but still...)
I remember when those two films came out...I did the same back to back viewings. worth the watch (Control, and ...don't remember).

I will say, if you haven't already...and I assume you all have...24 Hour Party People is a must watch for this music scene. Love the movie regardless, but even more so because this was all my music as a kid (and still).

Thanks Scorchy - great work.  I'm also old enough to have seen many of these bands live back in their prime and it brings back memories, albeit very foggy ones as those were my drug-addled years.  Will be checking out the playlist and appreciate that as well.

#56 - Simple Minds - Celebrate (1980)

During some random dorm-room conversation in the early 90s, a guy down the hall told me that Simple Minds used to be cool.  I was like "'Alive & Kicking' Simple Minds?  'Sanctify Yourself' Simple Minds? No way."  So he pulled out an old tape from the band's pre-Breakfast Club days and proved himself correct.  Like U2, I think Simple Minds had their eyes on being huge but, IMO, just started to put out over-wrought crap instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxhVVU1qsXQ
Listening to this for the first time. I can't believe these are the same people that did Don't You Forget About Me. 

It does make you wonder how Simple Minds' career arc would have changed if the writers of The Breakfast Club had convinced their first choice - Billy Idol - to record the song.
I always assumed it was their song but maybe Idol would have been the better choice, it seems to fit his voice.  Bryan Ferry, Corey Hart, and Fixx lead singer Cy Curnin also were considered to do it for the soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread