What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ole Miss basketball players take a knee (1 Viewer)

From what I’ve seen locally and on the message boards for the team, the supporters of the school are largely on the side of the players here. Some don’t understand the choosing the anthem to make their statement but they do agree with the players so by in large so far I don’t see a big boycott of events or anything like that. 
I've resisted the impulse to say something snarky like 'Ole Miss Sucks', but yeah the SEC is a fiercely patriotic region but they're also fiercely locally loyal and conference teams love their players, male and female, from Carolina to Texas. Fans and alumni will stick by their players and they know this was provoked. They're kids and showed their feelings like they could and then went out to kick ### for their state and school just like they always do.

By kneeling?

Again, most people have their opinions on the Confederate protesters. How you choose to make people aware of those protests is what's up for discussion. They aren't changing peoples minds about the protesters or how they feel about athletes that kneel during the National Anthem. 
Has the support for the confederate flag increased, decreased, or stayed the same over the decades? If there has been a change in opinion, why?

I've resisted the impulse to say something snarky like 'Ole Miss Sucks', but yeah the SEC is a fiercely patriotic region but they're also fiercely locally loyal and conference teams love their players, male and female, from Carolina to Texas. Fans and alumni will stick by their players and they know this was provoked. They're kids and showed their feelings like they could and then went out to kick ### for their state and school just like they always do.
I think the general feeling is support for them and why they protested, even if not the method.  And that's in some corners, not all.  Also, I think it's a one time situation here and I don't see it developing into anything more.  The AD has come out in support of them, which says a lot for where he thinks the fan base is I think.   Given the context, with the support of the AD, and that local people understood why it occurred, I don't believe that there will be major fan issues with it.  I could be totally wrong and maybe that's the me wanting it to be that way given my personal stake in it.  We will see.

Has the support for the confederate flag increased, decreased, or stayed the same over the decades? If there has been a change in opinion, why?
I live in Nebraska. Can't recall the last time I saw a confederate flag in this state. 

If there is increased support for the flag, what does it matter? Unless, we as a society, are going to take legal action, it won't matter. 

I live in Nebraska. Can't recall the last time I saw a confederate flag in this state. 

If there is increased support for the flag, what does it matter? Unless, we as a society, are going to take legal action, it won't matter. 
:coffee:

I suspect that might have something to do with the fact that Nebraska did not become a state until March 1, 1867

I could be wrong, but I doubt that flying or displaying the confederate flag was ever real popular there.

:coffee:

I suspect that might have something to do with the fact that Nebraska did not become a state until March 1, 1867

I could be wrong, but I doubt that flying or displaying the confederate flag was ever real popular there.
We may be a flyover state, but companies still ship to Nebraska. 

Are you saying their aren't white supremacists in this state?

@KCitons if I recall correctly you were also against taking down any monuments to traitors, is that correct?
Nope.

As I mentioned above, I don't think we gain anything from scrubbing our history. I'm not for throwing it in people's faces. If we ignore our history, we are doomed to repeat it.

OK, many people and apparently the majority of white southerners disagree with you. My hope is this changes and future generations believe the way we do.

I don’t think passing laws is the best way for change to happen. I want it to be more grassroots. Again, changing hearts and minds. We disagree here.

And how can people change their minds? I think it’s through conversations.  But things often have to trigger these conversations.  If these players help that, we are better off for it.

OK, many people and apparently the majority of white southerners disagree with you. My hope is this changes and future generations believe the way we do.

I don’t think passing laws is the best way for change to happen. I want it to be more grassroots. Again, changing hearts and minds. We disagree here.

And how can people change their minds? I think it’s through conversations.  But things often have to trigger these conversations.  If these players help that, we are better off for it.
I'll ask you the same question.

Do you think things are getting better or worse? Keep in mind that we've had 150 years to change hearts and minds. 

We have laws against hate crimes. Why not laws against hate propaganda? I would argue the latter leads to the former. 

So statues of Hitler, Saddam Hussein, and other dictators should remain proudly displayed to preserve our global history?
Another feeble attempt to twist the conversation. Proudly displayed is the same as thrown in the faces of the victims. I already addressed that up thread. 

It's part of our global history. There are hours and hours of video footage of Hitler and the horrific things that occurred. Should we destroy those as well?

At least I'm honest about my opinions. I don't cower to the group think that is this place. 

As you can see, it's either fall in line or be called a racist or troll.

Neat place. 
You are pretty bold with your stance that no one else here has. I have to commend you on your bravery and pioneering nature. We’ve never seen anything like it on this forum. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At least I'm honest about my opinions. I don't cower to the group think that is this place. 

As you can see, it's either fall in line or be called a racist or troll.

Neat place. 
The honesty in your opinion does not make it right, much less shared by a majority. 

You are pretty bold with your stance that no one else here has. I have to commend you on your bravery and pioneering nature. We’ve never seen anything like it on this forum. 
Truth is, I didn't post anything over the line. I pointed out the kneeling didn't change anyone's opinion about the Confederate protesters on campus. Changing laws on protests around hateful rhetoric will. I pointed out that I see the Confederate flag as being a symbol of racism and not just a symbol of Southern pride. I also said that we can't scrub our history from our environment. Our children and grandchildren need to see the errors of our past. 

Some people just aren't happy if you agree with them 90%. They want 100% or nothing.

The honesty in your opinion does not make it right, much less shared by a majority. 
Show me what is so horrible about anything I posted?

Keep in mind, a poster here, basically called me a racists. Which is worse? What I posted, or what he posted?

Show me what is so horrible about anything I posted?

Keep in mind, a poster here, basically called me a racists. Which is worse? What I posted, or what he posted?
Where did I say that anything you posted is horrible?

You seem a tad triggered and unhinged. Are you okay?

The Confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of hate for many people.  
and for many people it doesn't

like me for instance .... Old Glory flew over legalized slavery for something like 88 years ..... also flew over the annihilation of native Americans. Also flew when all the civil rights issues were full blown up.  

The Confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of hate for many people.  
and for many people it doesn't

like me for instance .... Old Glory flew over legalized slavery for something like 88 years ..... also flew over the annihilation of native Americans. Also flew when all the civil rights issues were full blown up.  

you'd think if there was a flag to hate, it'd be that one ... not one that was around for 18-24 months 

We may be a flyover state, but companies still ship to Nebraska. 

Are you saying their aren't white supremacists in this state?
Leroy Hoard is right. You are trolling here.

Straw Man by you and probably one of worst attempts I have ever seen in this forum.

I pointed out that you hadn't seen confederate flags since Nebraska did not become a state after the Civil War was over.

Your response mischaracterized that as:

"Are you saying their aren't white supremacists in this state?"

Complete distortion of what I had said and your question is a non-sequitur. 

I am tired of trying to have a serious discussion with you and your response is always some nonsensical deflection like this.

I am through talking to you about anything. Troll someone else.,

:bye:

Users who are viewing this thread